Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2011, 12:05   #2596
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

I really want to send this to BTP but I don't want to because the name will be visible.

Frankly, I think the cops here in B'lore are just gundas in uniform. I really want the cops' uniform to come off right on the streets one day and then they'll know exactly where they stand and what everyone think of them.

They are shameless pigs of the 1st order; probably they left their conscience the first time they put on the uniform.

Here's what a friend I narrated this incident said "we need a Anna Hazare kind of movement to get these guys back to Earth".

Agree, the hostility towards non-Kannadigas is immense; because they are easy targets.

I pray karma comes and bites all those cops real bad in the rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Looks like the person who has posted this incident seems to know things a little too much in detail. Do you drive a DL registered car by any chance?
Nope I drive a HR-reg vehicle; but was in a KA-reg vehicle. And I know the details because 1) I saw the circus happening in front of me, 2) spoke to 2 guys who were waiting to withdraw cash
Old 1st September 2011, 12:08   #2597
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

I am highly amused to see some really bold replies here. Courageous people talking of fighting with the Police when they are stopped. Are you kidding me? Unless you know some NETAJI its impossible and utterly anti-selfconservative to pick a fight with these guys specially at night when there are not many people around. Moreover they will have 100 different reasons and loopholes to straighten you out in 2 minutes regardless of whether you are at fault or not.

In my 2nd year of college in bangalore this incident happened: One of my seniors from bihar was riding his bike in the night and on a signal he brushed along a cops bike. What followed next was horrible! The cop took him to the station and beat him black and blue and took 2k from him. And this guy was not drunk I can vouch for it. The damage on the cops vehicle was negligible and anyways regardless of the extent of the damage this sort of action is criminal. The next day the guy came and in the hospital our CMO saw him and asked him about his face. The CMO got really mad on hearing the whole thing and within 2 hours 200 doctors along with the CMO were standing outside the Jayanagar police station. And ofcourse the Guilty cop had to return the money and was suspended.

I have stayed in the Bangalore for 6 years. The cops are Anti- outsiders. You can defend them as much as you want but the truth stays. But they are not the only ones who are corrupt. Delhi police or for that matter any police in India is a bunch of retards who are out there to mint money. If you still have an image of good honest cop in our system then please flush any such feeling down the toilet because this is a myth.

BTW an Anti-harrasment tip for people in bangalore: Buy a stethoscope ( cheapest will be around 300-500 bucks) and a white coat ( another 500 rs). Keep these in your car at all times. Whenever driving late just wear the coat or atleast just show it to them that you are a doctor. They will leave you in a jiffy. Ofcourse this holds true only when you are on the right side of the law.

Last edited by drmohitg : 1st September 2011 at 12:17.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2011, 23:44   #2598
Team-BHP Support

I spotted this Indica driving on the wrong side. I immediately got in his way and did not let him pass (courtesy : Spitfire).

I stood there for about a minute; the Indica wouldn't budge. Now, I knew he'd create a big jam if he reversed (which I doubted anyway). So, I took a pic and went ahead. Really wanted to sit pretty till he backed off but that would created traffic problems.

When I was passing him, he turned to me and said "station me photo dikha do, kisi ka baap kuch nahi kar sakta". (show the pic in the (police) station, no one's father can do anything).

This pic will definitely go on BTP with the graffiti. How do I upload it on BTP? BTP's Wall seems deactivated for me.

PS : Very imp. I am extremely sorry for saying what this person is doing is wrong. To quote a member on this thread long back, "you can get away with murder if you're driving with headlights on"
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-wp_000066.jpg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 1st September 2011 at 23:46.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:00   #2599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I spotted this Indica driving on the wrong side. I immediately got in his way and did not let him pass (courtesy : Spitfire).

i found his cousin going the wrong way on the Domlur flyover

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_mg_1656.jpg
Old 2nd September 2011, 13:46   #2600
Distinguished - BHPian

This is the problem. The police is not interested in doing anything about this. All they do is stand with barricades and stop bikers and harass them. In delhi, the ring road is a beauty. Its just a series of flyovers and has been made totally signal free with appropriate exits at junctions. But the person driving straight on doesn't need to stop anywhere. One will think that this will make the drive a pleasure. But these private auto carriers who feel that lane changing and driving on the left most lane is against the law. Its so irritating to see these overloaded carriers driving in the right most or middle lane at crawling speeds and holding up traffic behind them. You can honk as much as you want and they won't budge. End result is a total chaos with cars in that lane trying to enter the other lane and everyone ends up getting mixed up.

I think I read somewhere that these slow moving vehicles and even trucks and buses are banned from going over the flyovers and rather go beneath them. But no one follows the law.

Last edited by drmohitg : 2nd September 2011 at 13:47.
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:32   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I think I read somewhere that these slow moving vehicles and even trucks and buses are banned from going over the flyovers and rather go beneath them. But no one follows the law.
Not possible in Bangalore the way these flyovers are designed If a truck/tempo wants to go from Indiranagar to EGL, do you seriously expect him to go to Old Airport Road, take a U-turn at Leela and then left at Diamond district (almost a 4-5km extra detour) ? Not happening in India !
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:38   #2602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Not possible in Bangalore the way these flyovers are designed If a truck/tempo wants to go from Indiranagar to EGL, do you seriously expect him to go to Old Airport Road, take a U-turn at Leela and then left at Diamond district (almost a 4-5km extra detour) ? Not happening in India !
No the above comment was solely wrt Delhi. Its very much possible in Delhi. Bangalore can only be saved by god now. I remember the interior road of tyagraj nagar connecting banashankari to netkalappa circle. On that tiny road they have made bus stops and there are only a few places on the whole stretch where 2 buses can pass side by side. So the BMTC bus used to stop at a pre designated spot and wait for the oncoming bus to come and cross, traffic behind be damned. The flyovers in Bangalore are also so narrow that they hardly ease the traffic.
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:23   #2603
BHPian

Prepare for more time on ORR if this work does not complete as per plan.

Avoid ORR at Bellandur for a week; use alternate routes - 02 September 2011

Avoid ORR at Bellandur for a week; use alternate routes
The Outer Ring Road Companies Association has advised commuters to avoid the Outer Ring Road at Bellandur and Intel junctions in the coming week.
In addition to the flyover work at Devarabisanahalli and Kadubisanahalli, there is also pipe laying work by BWSSB and GAIL. BDA is working on asphalting the stretch.
The ORRCA team had earlier met Minister Suresh Kumar to discuss ways of reducing the inconvenience for commuters.
Old 4th September 2011, 00:58   #2604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
In fact, I've observed that BTPmen often do not stop people from violating. Instead they patiently wait for the violations to occur and a few yards away, start stopping the violators SELECTIVELY while traffic clogs up and jams in the background.
I am again confused. By definition, a violation or an accident is an event only if it happens, no? The cops are supposed to flag down certain drivers, and say they have tagged them as potential violators, since they detected an intent to violate signal (through telepathy?) emanating from the person/vehicle? And then fine them?

I know what you mean, Arkin.

It's like, BTP waits to catch you in the act, so that they can fine you. They don't make their presence felt, so that you don't violate in the first place. I hope you get it, carzest.

On an empty stretch of road, like the Old Airport Road near Command Hospital, for example, there is invariably an Interseptor waiting by the corner. Since the road curves left, the cops hide behind the wall and can't be seen. There are people who do 60 km/h, when the city limit is 50 km/h. And there are some who go way beyond the designated speed-limit.

Now if there are cops in an Interceptor, in sight, no one would break the law. they would all stick to the speed limit because they know they would get caught. But the cops let them create the violation so that they get paid.

Now some would argue saying that there is no other way you'd learn from this, other than being fined. Some would also say that you cannot have a cop stationed everywhere monitoring every move by us.

That's true.

But at the same time, BTP isn't really doing the right thing. Maybe they're doing the right thing, but the intentions are very, very wrong. Instead of checking violations, they want to make money from it. That's their one and only motive.

The other day, I noticed while waiting for a friend in front of Command Hospital on Airport Road, the Interceptor was waiting by the corner, ready to catch people. But they caught no one. Not a soul went beyond 50 km/h that day. I was right next to the Hoysala Interceptor and I overheard some cops talking amongst themselves. I actually head one of them say "Saar, no business here, maybe we should go somewhere else where we can get money"
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 04:17   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will see utter chaos at the Lalbagh Lake gate junction every morning even with the cops - every minute, at least 2 dozen people bunk signals, while the others run over pedestrians(nearly), park on the road/footpaths, stop on the zebra crossing, drive the wrong way.
So who is to blame here? BTP or these shameless law breaking so called Citizens who would probably do anything to break the law when no one's watching(or even someone is watching)? Why there should be a policeman standing at every junction to keep check on signal jumpers? Should people themselves not learn to abide by the law even if no one's watching?

Quote:
On inner ring road, their interceptors fine people going at 80km/h, but do nothing about buses driving at 30 in the right most lane. Same is the case on BIAL road.
Buses have been a menace but how can you blame BTP for their(BMTC) wrong-doing?

Quote:
"There are 25 violation/s amounting to Rs.2500 on vehicle number KA01FA1233. (Pay fines at any Traffic Police Station/BangaloreOne/Online @ bangaloreone.gov.in)"
"There are 3 violation/s amounting to Rs.300 on vehicle number KA01FA1234. (Pay fines at any Traffic Police Station/BangaloreOne/Online @ bangaloreone.gov.in)"
"There are 15 violation/s amounting to Rs.1500 on vehicle number KA01F3344. (Pay fines at any Traffic Police Station/BangaloreOne/Online @ bangaloreone.gov.in)"
They've slapped the fines, right? If the other Government agency, BMTC in this case, doesn't pay then how can you blame the BTP for it? Say, if you are fined and you don't pay the fine then will BTP come to your house to collect the fine? No, they won't, cause that's not their job to collect the fines. It's your responsibility as a law-abiding citizen pay the fine yourself.

Quote:
In fact, I've observed that BTPmen often do not stop people from violating. Instead they patiently wait for the violations to occur and a few yards away, start stopping the violators SELECTIVELY while traffic clogs up and jams in the background.
When you go fishing you don't catch all the fishes, right? Jokes apart, do you expect BTP personal to come across to every rider/driver and tell them, hey please don't break the law, don't jump the Red light or don't take the one way? No, it's your responsibility to know that and not break the law. If you break it then you pay the fine.

Quote:
Everyone knows BTP's hostility towards people who do not speak Kannada. This has been reported 1st hand by several BHPians too. Nothing could be worse.
Bangalore seems to be becoming increasingly hostile to people who do not speak Kannada.
Oh please, give me a break. I've heard enough of this Kannadiga, Non-Kannadiga stuff, so much like a broken record. I'm a non-Kannadiga, can not properly speak Kannada but I've never had any such bad experience from BTP personal. Yes, I was caught recently (and once before also, around 2-3 years back) when I unintentionally broke the Law (I admit, my fault as I didn't notice the light going red, which I should've, while taking a left). I told the chap that I'm ready to pay the fine as it was my fault. He/they didn't abused me or anything for not being a Kanndadiga who has broken the law. In the first instance they told me that please be cautious from this time onwards while taking a left to a major road. In the recent case also they've noted down my car's number and let me go. Atleast from my experience language was not the issue at all and somehow it's most probably how a person reacts when he was caught red-handed (I know and I've seen many people get too aggressive when they are caught and take it as a attack on their inflated ego). So please stop, think and then make such a general comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Now if there are cops in an Interceptor, in sight, no one would break the law. they would all stick to the speed limit because they know they would get caught. But the cops let them create the violation so that they get paid.
How would the interceptor work if there is no line of sight (basically for the RADAR signal to bounce off the offending car?) ? Just want to know, as I'm not sure if they can work without line of sight.
And again, should there be a Cop sitting next to each and every driver to tell him not break the law? No, there won't be. That Cop of self-restraint has to be inside one's head to keep himself in check.
kaushik_s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 08:57   #2606
Senior - BHPian

^ looks like you've not been on the wrong side of BTP ever. Agreed not all are corrupt and rotten, but the percentage of good honest cops is a very very small number.

I agree with what Suhaas has mentioned above. The BTP are wolves in sheep skin and their sole intention is to extort money from the public. I've been in Bangalore for 12yrs and have seen things go from bad to worse. Now that Additional Commissioner has instructed not to stop people just to check the vehicle documents, the BTP has come up with ingenious way to make money - wait in hiding for people to make mistakes and then fine them. Despite the order, I've seen BTP still stop people in broad daylight to check their papers.

On the old Airport road you would usually find the cops in three places (coming towards Domlur from Trinity circle):
1. The turn near Pay Accounts office (for signal jumpers)
2. Before the Command hospital on the turn (for signal jumpers from Domlur side)
3. After Command hospital gate (Interceptor with speed gun)

Another thing about BTP - they catch only those from whom extort money and yes, out of state vehicles are top priority on their list. The little fish they let go. This has become the bane of our traffic condition because it is these little fish that cause the maximum problem (BMTC, auto drivers, two wheelers riding on the wrong side of the road/on the footpath, overstepping the stop line etc.)

What you say is right too - not to break the law should be ingrained in each and every one of us, but sadly that is not the case.

Will anything change? I certainly hope so.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 4th September 2011 at 09:02.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 12:27   #2607
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

Now some would argue saying that there is no other way you'd learn from this, other than being fined. Some would also say that you cannot have a cop stationed everywhere monitoring every move by us.

That's true.

But at the same time, BTP isn't really doing the right thing. Maybe they're doing the right thing, but the intentions are very, very wrong. Instead of checking violations, they want to make money from it. That's their one and only motive.

The other day, I noticed while waiting for a friend in front of Command Hospital on Airport Road, the Interceptor was waiting by the corner, ready to catch people. But they caught no one. Not a soul went beyond 50 km/h that day. I was right next to the Hoysala Interceptor and I overheard some cops talking amongst themselves. I actually head one of them say "Saar, no business here, maybe we should go somewhere else where we can get money"
When you go fishing you don't catch all the fishes, right? Jokes apart, do you expect BTP personal to come across to every rider/driver and tell them, hey please don't break the law, don't jump the Red light or don't take the one way? No, it's your responsibility to know that and not break the law. If you break it then you pay the fine.

How would the interceptor work if there is no line of sight (basically for the RADAR signal to bounce off the offending car?) ? Just want to know, as I'm not sure if they can work without line of sight.
And again, should there be a Cop sitting next to each and every driver to tell him not break the law? No, there won't be. That Cop of self-restraint has to be inside one's head to keep himself in check.
I've quoted myself in your post, just to clear things out. I'm certainly with you on this.

It is definitely the citizen's duty to follow traffic rules and not violate the laws of the road. And if they do, they have to face the consequences, which generally, happen to be petty fines.

People who have genuinely made a mistake will not hesitate to pay the fine. They will learn from their mistakes and not do the same thing again. These genuine people are very few in number.

What I'm trying to say is, the cops are not out there to teach a lesson. They aren't there to lead the commuters to the right path. They are there to do one thing. Extort. As I've illustrated in my earlier post (my observation on Old Airport Road)

The approach may be right. But the intent is horribly wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post

Another thing about BTP - they catch only those from whom extort money and yes, out of state vehicles are top priority on their list. The little fish they let go. This has become the bane of our traffic condition because it is these little fish that cause the maximum problem (BMTC, auto drivers, two wheelers riding on the wrong side of the road/on the footpath, overstepping the stop line etc.)
Exactly!

Every single day, I see so many local goons on two-wheelers, uncles who look like govt. officials on Chetaks, breaking the law blatantly and right under BTP's nose. But they do absolutely nothing about it. Nothing.

I see people on two-wheelers riding on pavements every day. I see them going the wrong way almost every 2 minutes on RV Road. the cops are there, but they do nothing. In fact, they themselves go the wrong way, and on several occasions, I've caught them not wearing their helmets.

These are the same cops who catch a DL registered Maruti 800 driven by a housewife on Old Airport Road, for straying above 50 km. I've literally seen it happen right in front of me. I was right behind this white DL reg'd 800 and I was doing exactly 50 km/h. She wasn't going much faster than me. She was ahead of me and wasn't really gaining speed either. And she was flagged down by the Interseptor as I passed by.

The very next day, I saw a speeding white Sumo with 'Police' stickers on the back, on OAR. He literally flew past me and the Interseptor. i always stick to 50 km/h on OAR, and I can safely say that he was doing at least 80 km/h. And there were no occupants in the car, apart from the driver.

Even if the intention is wrong, and the approach is wrong, practice what you preach, for God's sake, BTP!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 16:15   #2608
Senior - BHPian

Let me make one thing clear from my side, I'm not trying to say that all is good and shining and there is no issue at all. There are urgent issues which need to be solved but that doesn't mean that one would keep on ranting and generalizing about the whole infrastructure all the time. And about BTP personals wanting to mint money, don't you think that people are also to be blamed here? It's people like us who after being caught red-handed try to wriggle their way out by paying a bribe and those corrupt cops are just cashing on this particular corruption that's ingrained in most of us. If everyone insists on paying the actual fine then where would be question of BTP personals minting money out of people? Isn't this whole thing is a two way handshake instead of one being trying to take the upper-hand? I would say stop paying that bribe and insist on paying the fine which you need to pay at nearby police station and that's not a difficult task for anyone. If they are there to mint money by extorting others then make that task very difficult by not paying bribe and paying the fine instead.
@IronHawk, it's not about me on the wrong side, as I mentioned before, I've already been caught twice and I was ready to pay the fine(no, not bribe, I won't pay a single paisa as bribe). I neither abused nor being manhandled as it made out by another member in his post and I just wanted to bring a point there.
Anyway, another clarification I want to make is that I won't comment on the out of state registration thingy as that's something I've not experienced and I don't have the right to comment on that. So please take my comments without taking that angle into the picture.
Anyway, I guess I'll shut up now as just now I realized the fact I myself is not so true to the law and infact probably has broken it few times by going over the speed limits while on the highway. But again the fault lies with me and not with traffic police in this particular case too. And I'm sorry guys incase if I've hurt any of your sentiments. I was trying to put my point forward.
Old 4th September 2011, 23:55   #2609
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a sign board in koramangala. I am not sure about the exact location, but its on the way from Anjappar hotel towards Madiwala. You can just see the arrows and not the places in the sign board. This is not going to help anyone who is new to this area.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-koramangala.jpg  

Old 5th September 2011, 14:03   #2610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
@IronHawk, it's not about me on the wrong side, as I mentioned before, I've already been caught twice and I was ready to pay the fine(no, not bribe, I won't pay a single paisa as bribe). I neither abused nor being manhandled as it made out by another member in his post and I just wanted to bring a point there.
what i meant was you being on the wrong side of the cops, not the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This is a sign board in koramangala. I am not sure about the exact location, but its on the way from Anjappar hotel towards Madiwala. You can just see the arrows and not the places in the sign board. This is not going to help anyone who is new to this area.
that looks like the Koramangala 80ft road/St. Johns hospital road signal.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed