Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 20:32   #2641
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
I got stuck in quite possibly, the worst jam I've ever been stuck in, last night. I'd left from Jayanagar at 7:20 and reached my home in Indiranagar, only at 9:15 pm. That's 2 hours of grueling bumper-to-bumper traffic on a 10 km stretch!

Now, this goes completely beyond me. But isn't a flyover supposed to ease traffic conditions. I don't think this one does.
I dont know if you were aware, there was St Mary's Birth celebrations around Shivajinagar and Viveknagar!!! Hence the whole city centre was jammed and it did spread to other areas too.

There is was caution and traffic diversion reported in ToI.
Old 10th September 2011, 16:56   #2642
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
looks like you had a ball of a time last night!

when we were coming back from Pune, we reached Yeshwantpur by 4:15pm. from there to reach our home (Banaswadi) it took us almost 4hrs!! like we weren't tired already!! btw, i took naps between the stop-n-go traffic!!
Wow! And I thought I had a nightmarish drive back home! That is very very bad! One question, how does one cope with traffic like this? I thank my stars that I had the Floyd CD in that day, or I'd be pretty pissed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selective View Post
I dont know if you were aware, there was St Mary's Birth celebrations around Shivajinagar and Viveknagar!!! Hence the whole city centre was jammed and it did spread to other areas too.

There is was caution and traffic diversion reported in ToI.
I wasn't aware at all! I guess that was the reason why it was so jammed. I didn't have the opportunity to read the paper as I was in a rush in the morning. My bad!
Old 13th September 2011, 10:28   #2643
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway. EDIT : Opened on 22 Jan 2010!

New nightmare stretch to avoid - ORR stretch from Cessna business park to PTP marathahalli. It has become a fantastic training terrain for Ladakh enthusiasts. Have plans of biking/driving up to Ladakh? Do some laps around this stretch in your free time, and you will become a master of Ladakh terrain driving.

EDIT : MODS: PLease remove this post / move it to "Rants on Bangalore traffic" thread. I posted here by mistake since I had too many threads open in multiple tabs. Apologies for the inconvenience caused. already reported this post anyway

Last edited by KarthikK : 13th September 2011 at 10:32.
Old 14th September 2011, 11:24   #2644
Senior - BHPian

There is this huge snarl of traffic at the end of the elevated road just before Yeahwantpur. It is caused by the pillars of the metro which are bang in the middle of the road. As it is work in progress, there are barricades around the pillars which furthur reduce the useable road leading to the jam. After travelling down the super smooth elevated road this jam comes as a shocker. I faced this at night after a long drive from Mumbai.

Anyone know if this is temporary or or are there plans for a flyover or something?
Old 14th September 2011, 11:53   #2645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
when we were coming back from Pune, we reached Yeshwantpur by 4:15pm. from there to reach our home (Banaswadi) it took us almost 4hrs!! like we weren't tired already!! btw, i took naps between the stop-n-go traffic!!
The stretch where NH4 just ends is horrible; it took us 2 hours to just cross the Yeshwantpur junction; and this was at 11am. The bus which normally reaches Majestic by 8.30 finally got us there at noon.

All this drama when the weather was fine; a few drops of rain and I'd have had my first lunch in Airavat.

I find the entire construction-of-flyovers circus in B'lore terribly disorganized. I'm sure clowns would perform better.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 14th September 2011 at 12:16.
Old 14th September 2011, 12:14   #2646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The stretch where NH4 just ends is horrible; it took us 2 hours to just cross the Yeshwantpur junction; and this was at 11am. The bus which normally reached Majestic by 8.30 finally got us there at noon.

All this drama when the weather was fine; a few drops of rain and I'd have had my first lunch in Airavat.

I find the entire construction-of-flyovers circus in B'lore terribly disorganized. I'm sure clowns would perform better.

Are you referring to the junction after nayandahalli where the metro station is coming up. Nothing has improved at that junction over the past few months, it looks like a war zone with lot of dust flying around, experienced it when I took the BMTC from Kengeri to Majestic.
Old 14th September 2011, 14:27   #2647
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Elevated Tollway. EDIT : Opened on 22 Jan 2010!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
New nightmare stretch to avoid - ORR stretch from Cessna business park to PTP marathahalli. It has become a fantastic training terrain for Ladakh enthusiasts. Have plans of biking/driving up to Ladakh? Do some laps around this stretch in your free time, and you will become a master of Ladakh terrain driving.

EDIT : MODS: PLease remove this post / move it to "Rants on Bangalore traffic" thread. I posted here by mistake since I had too many threads open in multiple tabs. Apologies for the inconvenience caused. already reported this post anyway
Very true. It was horrible traffic and folks had closed the service road after Ecospace to reach Bellandur flyover. So, we were forced to take other road left side and reach opposite to Springfield apt.

Even there the traffic light went red to green more than 4 times and we had not moved an inch. Complete chaos.
To enjoy my drive I took a de-tour and went to dommasandra, sarjapur, attibele, Bannerghata road and home in 1hr 10mins. I kind of loved the road with least traffic.
Old 15th September 2011, 13:59   #2648
BHPian

Bikers!!duh..commuters..

Time : 11.00 am
Place : ORR : Iblur Jn towards HSR.
Cast :
1.Gentleman on Pulsar 150
2.Gentleman & Lady on Pulsar 150
3.Sumo cab
4.Skoda Fabia
5.Poor me.
6. BBMP : Missing in Action

BBMP has again decided to dig up a stretch of ORR just after Ibblur Junction, resulting in a bottleneck.
The Sumo guy decided to brake suddenly.As his brake lights were not working (why am I not surprised!), the Fabia behind him failed to realize until it was too late.result : Panic braking.
Me behind the Fabia had kept safe gap. Braked slowly to a stop. Pulsars 1&2 were in more of hurry. Mr2 on the right side wanted to cut across Mr1 and overtake me as well on the left!
So, Mr2 crashed into Mr1, rammed into my rear bumper and were all over the road.
Immediately parked the car up ahead and rushed back to see the damages to limbs. Thankfully all three were fine. However, Mr2 was not very pleased with Mr1 and was continuing his argument in the middle of the road, thus blocking all the traffic. Asked them to pull to the side to let the rest of the traffic flow.
The BIKERS continued bickering and ranting.
Mr2(to Mr1) : Cant you see where you were going! Why did you brake?
Mr1 : Why did you try cutting across.
More rants xxxx.
Me : Look guys. Is everyone ok or is anyone hurt? (checked all three of them for injuries). You both crashed into my car and its done. You have already crashed and there's hardly anything you can do about it now. So, just move on and get yourselves checked at the clinic up ahead in HSR!

They both realized, picked their bikes up and moved on. Peaceful ending!

Final damage : Small Bangalore scratch on my rear bumper. Big dent in the biker's confidence. Me royally pissed off with BBMP!

Last edited by bblost : 15th September 2011 at 14:09. Reason: Do not use Foul Language on the forum. Thanks.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 14:09   #2649
Team-BHP Support

The ORR from Marathalli to HSR is the worst place to travel on these days, in either direction. If the smart chaps at BBMP had decided to complete the work on atleast one of the flyovers/ tunnels on this section, rather than the one in front of MORE hypermarket, things could have been a bit better.

2 days back, a journey from Whitefield to HSR Layout using the ORR took me a cool 2 hours, and irritated to the core. The exemplary traffic sense displayed by our fellow countrymen needs to be applauded, they can put any circus to shame.
Old 15th September 2011, 14:23   #2650
Senior - BHPian

They have put barricades on the road from Madiwala to HSR. And its not consistent. Sometimes the road narrows down, sometimes widens up.

At this rate, Bangaloreans will soon be able to drive anywhere in the world.
Old 15th September 2011, 14:33   #2651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
if one can drive in Bangalore (and survive), one can drive anywhere!
Old 15th September 2011, 15:31   #2652
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
if one can drive in Bangalore (and survive), one can drive anywhere!
I've stayed in Pune and Gurgaon and trust me, we all say the same thing. So, if you can drive in India, you can drive anywhere (whether you follow the rules or not is a diff. story)
Old 15th September 2011, 15:36   #2653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The ORR from Marathalli to HSR is the worst place to travel on these days, in either direction. If the smart chaps at BBMP had decided to complete the work on atleast one of the flyovers/ tunnels on this section, rather than the one in front of MORE hypermarket, things could have been a bit better.

2 days back, a journey from Whitefield to HSR Layout using the ORR took me a cool 2 hours, and irritated to the core. The exemplary traffic sense displayed by our fellow countrymen needs to be applauded, they can put any circus to shame.
I too travel from Whitefield to HSR, and found a new route that i am using for the last few weeks. I see that whenever it rains, Bellundur is dead, but this route works like a charm.

The route is ITPL -> Hoodi -> Total Mall on ORR -> Goshala Road -> Airport Road -> Yamalur -> drive next to the lake -> At bellundur, get inside a small mud road -> Get near the Shoba buildings -> Take U turn on ORR, get to HSR.

Of course, this route is far tougher to explain, and some parts of it are not even listed on google maps. Some parts are mud roads and one strech is very narrow that only one car can go at a time. So, hard to explain, but in case anyone wants to try it for an adventure, I can explain more.

I can say that during rains, this has taken me home in about an hour from Whitefield to HSR, while many of my friends have got stuck at Intel and Bellundur for over 45 mins.

Disclaimer: Sometimes, there are jams on this strech too, and since these roads are not very good, it is advisible to be very careful the first time atleast.
deep_bang is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 15:40   #2654
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I too travel from Whitefield to HSR, and found a new route that i am using for the last few weeks. I see that whenever it rains, Bellundur is dead, but this route works like a charm.
Thanks Deep. However, this was one occasion i had to travel to HSR Layout. I stay around Sarjapur road, and so use the Varthur route to get home and vice-versa.

Traveling on the ORR after a long time was a shocking experience to say the least.
Old 15th September 2011, 15:43   #2655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I think we already achieved that status years ago. Now the new goal is to be able to drive on the moon. All the potholes and situations you see, are actually designed to simulate the feeing of the moon. They are slowly making it more and more like moon, and as the certification date approaches, it will be very similar to moon. I heard that astronauts are being hired to make it as close to the moon's surface as possible.

Once we get the "Moon driving certification", we can expand our horizons - we can look at Mars/Venus/Other planets.

PS: No - it is not a joke. Its real. Really. Promise! Still dont believe? Let it rain, wait.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks