Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 15:58   #2656
BANNED

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Of course, this route is far tougher to explain, and some parts of it are not even listed on google maps. Some parts are mud roads and one strech is very narrow that only one car can go at a time. So, hard to explain, but in case anyone wants to try it for an adventure, I can explain more.
And there is a water tanker business guy down that route and he is a proper goon. Don't mess with those tankers down that road. If you are coming down that narrow stretch and are not a local or the size of an ox. Give way to these low life's. Saw a IT guy getting punched for not giving way to the tanker.

Also the Goshala road (ORR Total) underpass for the railway track gets flooded even if there is a drizzle. So beware of that. Only one car can pass through. And if like it happened last weekend if a car like a sonata gets stuck we will have a block till ORR this side and ISRO the other side.

Last edited by Spitfire : 15th September 2011 at 16:00.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 16:07   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Even I commute on the Whitefield to HSR route albeit on two wheels. But still hit by the traffic mess, I take the route that goes around New Horizon College and joins up in Sarjapur road, its longer by 3.5 Kms but now I take about the same time as I used to take earlier before Bellandur went into this messy state.
Old 15th September 2011, 20:39   #2658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
if one can drive in Bangalore (and survive), one can drive anywhere!
Adding my few bits

If one can drive in Delhi (and survive) one can drive anywhere.

If one can drive in Mumbai (and survive) one can drive anywhere

If one can drive in Chennai (and survive) one can drive anywhere. etc so on and so forth!

Why should Bangalore take all the credit?!
Old 15th September 2011, 20:43   #2659
BHPian

There used to be a U turn while coming from palace grounds to reach Cauvery theatre. As of this evening it's gone and the road has become wide. Traffic was marginally better today evening.
Old 16th September 2011, 10:56   #2660
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
if one can drive in Bangalore (and survive), one can drive anywhere!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Adding my few bits

If one can drive in Delhi (and survive) one can drive anywhere.

If one can drive in Mumbai (and survive) one can drive anywhere

If one can drive in Chennai (and survive) one can drive anywhere. etc so on and so forth!

Why should Bangalore take all the credit?!
From my experience after driving in Chennai, Bangalore and Hyderabad, I would say driving in Hyderabad is the toughest among these cities.
Old 16th September 2011, 11:09   #2661
Senior - BHPian

Last night around 9PM when i was returning from office, there was a huge jam on Bannerghatta road, starting right from the IIMB entrance (later learnt it was because they had dug up a part of the road at the Arekere junction)

Anyway, so there I was just before Apollo hospital on my right and me in the leftmost lane, waiting for the traffic to move. Then i saw some folks getting out of their cars and getting down from the buses and walking forward to check something out. Curiosity got the better of me and i also got out. The reason for commotion was an ongoing spat between an auto driver and a car guy (ANHC). The guy did not know kannada and the auto guy did not seem to know hindi and was constantly shouting at him. Suddenly traffic started moving and I ran back to my car. I saw the ANHC pull up on the left in front of me along with two autos. I thought of moving on when i decided NO. I stopped my car behind the ANHC with blinkers on (enough time and distance for traffic behind me to not get stuck behind me) and got out. The auto guy was accusing ANHC of bending the center rod of his auto (just above the meter) and was not willing to listen to anything. Couple of other drunk auto guys joined him as well.

No amount of reasoning was working. Things nearly got physical as well when we decided enough is enough and just drive away. At that point, I decided to dial 100 (after asking a friend how to call police from cellphone ) Believe it or not, two cops from Mico Layout were there in 10 minutes. The moment they arrived, the other auto guys vanished into thin air. Cops gave a sound scolding to the auto guy, asked ANHC what he wanted to do. When ANHC said he wants to file a complaint, the auto guy nearly pissed in his pants and fell on his feet and started apologizing.

Finally we decided that probably auto has learnt his lesson (it was getting late too) and the cops let him off with another sound scolding. From what i could understand, the cops were scolding auto for raising a ruckus and not talking calmly and respectfully.

Anyway, so the auto left the scene, the cops took a u turn and we shook hands, exchanged numbers and went home.

Btw, when everything had cleared, ANHC mentioned to me that he is ex-army and i noticed that he certainly looked the part too! Hehe then i remembered the scrawny auto guy and imagined what would have happened to him had ANHC and I both decided to retaliate physically. But that was just an amusing thought.

End of it all, the sight of auto guy touching his feet and apologizing was a sight for sore eyes.

Last edited by amitoj : 16th September 2011 at 11:11.
amitoj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 12:36   #2662
BHPian

I don't know if this is the right place to post this query:

Is there any paid parking in Electronics City Phase 1 where we can pay and park (prefereably near Crowne Plaza Hotel)?
Old 16th September 2011, 14:41   #2663
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Things nearly got physical as well when we decided enough is enough and just drive away. At that point, I decided to dial 100 (after asking a friend how to call police from cellphone )
Good of you to stop and help.
Between, how is it that you call 100 from a mobile phone? With local code as well?
Old 16th September 2011, 14:43   #2664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Between, how is it that you call 100 from a mobile phone? With local code as well?
Thanks.
No need to add anything. Just dial 1 0 0 from the mobile phone.
Old 16th September 2011, 15:14   #2665
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
you posted that from your phone, didn't you?

Quote:
At that point, I decided to dial 100 (after asking a friend how to call police from cellphone )
you didn't know!

btw, did that auto fella really fall at his feet?
Old 16th September 2011, 15:21   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Even I didn't think that he actually would have fallen to his feet, till I read his last line!

Cheets amitoj on helping him out
Old 16th September 2011, 15:33   #2667
BANNED

Quote:
I thought of moving on when i decided NO.
This is the exact same thing that happens to me each time and have got involved a million times. Good to know there are more who think like me. I am that much more safe on the road.

I have been saying this for a while. Help the lonely guy fighting the goons on out roads. Just one guy in support will shoo away these cowards. I have seen this so many times.

Good on you mate.
Old 16th September 2011, 15:34   #2668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you didn't know!

Arre we law abiding/fearing citizens never needed to call police earlier.
See Benny also didnt know

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Even I didn't think that he actually would have fallen to his feet, till I read his last line!
Quote:
Oh yes. You bet he did. All his support crew had vanished faster than you could say gobbledegook, the moment the cops arrived. Since the cops were also scolding him, he had to apologize profusely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
This is the exact same thing that happens to me each time and have got involved a million times. Good to know there are more who think like me. I am that much more safe on the road.
Mate, I dont know whether i thought LIKE you or not, but i did think OF you. That was another reason i stopped.

Last edited by amitoj : 16th September 2011 at 15:38.
Old 16th September 2011, 16:25   #2669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mate, I dont know whether i thought LIKE you or not, but i did think OF you. That was another reason i stopped.
WOw!! +2 to that. You did a very good thing by stopping and helping out the ANHC guy. Just imagine, if at least 4-5 private vehicle owners stop to support another of our type, the yellow board goons will disperse. They are out to make money by harassment and use local language as a tool. Will not work everytime!!
Old 16th September 2011, 19:41   #2670
Senior - BHPian

I got a chance to drive in Bangalore after about a year and things seems have got bad, did notice people from all segment breaking the traffic, had to wake all my senses to ensure nothing goes wrong....

seems like all have joined the party and have made it a big blast, ka registered or outstation vehicles most of them bother the least!

fingers are always pointed at the bmtc, cabs and riks but i saw so many IT folks in 2/4wheelers doing horrendous mistakes at this rate all the "metros" will be a hell!

people have become so inconsiderate that they care a damn about others, the place i live used to be a sleepy and disconnected, thanks to the unplanned development today loads of apartments have cropped which intern has got 100s of vehicles plying on a narrow road during the peak hours, situation has got so bad that if one has no place to walk and if one tried to he may be hit by a 2 or 4wheeler and most of them are the IT folks...

Most Viewed