Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 18:42   #2701
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Fatal accident today afternoon just after Prestige Tech park towards marthahalli. 2 wheeler rider knocked over by a truck and presumedly run over. Policemen were covering the body on a open tempo when I crossed the spot. Gruesome sight..May his soul rest in peace.
Old 22nd September 2011, 05:17   #2702
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any idea whats happening at Nagwara signal and around Manyata Tech Park?
Day before yesterday morning there was a huge jam at Nagwara because the service lane going to MTP was dug up.
I worked from home yesterday but saw a note from the transport guys that the 8:15 pm drop had been cancelled due to hug traffic jam at exit point.

I plan to go to work today at Manyata. Any tips? Apart from staying home, that is.

Thanks,
Amitoj
Old 22nd September 2011, 05:41   #2703
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It was so simple. All they had to do was tar the merging onto ORR from service lane. If the merging was smooth there would be no traffic.

Instead they put some mud on the median and want cars to climb over the median and get on the ORR. The mud has been washed out almost and the only way is to make an almost 90 degree turn onto ORR. This causes a pile up till Sarjapur Mantri signal.
I remember that! Anyway, common sense is definitely not a forte they can boast about.

Simple things such as tarring a road (That's why its called a road, and not a rally track!), seamless merging onto a main road, etc are ignored, and then they sit and wonder what causes such a major traffic jam on the roads!

I seriously pity the traffic cops and attendants along these stretches - they have to put up with all the public fury owing to the inefficiency of the civic authorities.
Old 22nd September 2011, 07:35   #2704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Guys, any idea whats happening at Nagwara signal and around Manyata Tech Park?
Day before yesterday morning there was a huge jam at Nagwara because the service lane going to MTP was dug up.
I worked from home yesterday but saw a note from the transport guys that the 8:15 pm drop had been cancelled due to hug traffic jam at exit point.
BWSSB I think and also btw the traffic cops and BDA authorities are actually in talks with the Manyata guys for constructing an underpass/flyover from Nagawara side. This will serve as an entry point to MTP for vehicles coming from Banaswadi side. This came from a very reliable source.

Quote:
I plan to go to work today at Manyata. Any tips? Apart from staying home, that is.
Take the Mekhri Circle---Bellary Road--hebbal--ORR--MTP route, its easier to get to MTP than coming from the Nagawara side.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:34   #2705
Team-BHP Support

Today morning on the way to office, I was at the head of the pack waiting for the signal at BTM Bharti Axa junction. As it went green, I moved ahead and stopped near the next pileup of traffic. Suddenly I feel a huge jolt from behind - an Alto had crashed into my stopped bike from behind! I didn't raise my voice at all, simply glared at him. He was a techie from Sasken, very decently apologized profusely, admitted his mistake /carelessness and asked me to stop at the side after the signal. I think he was busy looking at you-know-what in the nearby bus stop, anyone who travels from jayadeva to silk board will know what I am referring to

Now the Alto's damage was - noticeable dent on bonnet, driver side of front bumper had come loose and was dislodged by around 3-4 inches from original position because the bumper clamps had been disturbed.

I expected my thunderbird's rear brake light and mudguard to have gone kaput, but lo and behold! it was absolutely the same way it was earlier! No scratch, no dent, no sign of any damage. No wonder they say enfields are built like a gun

After all this, he looked at both vehicles and sheepishly asked with a grin "Are you sure I hit your bike?"

2 things from what happened -

- I don't quite know what to make of this accident. Getting rear ended on a stopped bike, that too at a signal! I'm not sure how one can avoid such an incident, irrespective of riding/driving safe. Maybe I should paste some sticker like on volvo buses "PLEASE MAINTAIN DISTANCE, REAR ENGINE"

- There was no bad blood / road rage here, I didn't flare up, just calmly pointed out to him that he wasn't attentive on the road. He admitted to his carelessness and apologized profusely. Mistakes happen, but what was more important was the way he owned up to his mistakes and offered to stop and enquire about my vehicle too. I wish all road users were this courteous.

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd September 2011 at 09:37.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 09:53   #2706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Take the Mekhri Circle---Bellary Road--hebbal--ORR--MTP route, its easier to get to MTP than coming from the Nagawara side.
Too bad i can thank your post only once, Riju
I took the route you suggested and it took me only 1 hr 15 minutes. On a normal traffic day, it usually takes me more time than this if i go through the city! I think i will make this my regular route now.

Cheers
Amitoj
PS: The long arm of Hebbal flyover to get onto ORR is sure fun

EDIT: Karthik, you were lucky! Usually first thing people do is blame the stopped vehicle!

Last edited by amitoj : 22nd September 2011 at 09:54.
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:14   #2707
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a daily situation that many of us face in Bannerghatta Road(From Nice Road juction to Meenakshi Temple or vice-versa). Its a two lane road and the bus stops are not properly located hence cause huge traffic. During the peak hours, if you are stuck behind a bus, then for the next 4 stops(about 2.5Kms), u can't overtake the bus even when it stop at the bus-stop because of the traffic in the opposite direction. By the end of the 4th stop, you will find a huge queue behind the bus.

I am sure this issue is there for more than couple of years, but its very surprising that no action has been taken till date. Also, after Meenakshi temple towards Mandovi circle, you can find a bus stop just before each and every signal. Which means, even when you get a green signal, there might be a bus blocking you every time. Not sure why BCTP has not taken any action on this as well.

Below are some pics taken today whenever the bus in front of us stopped in the bus stop, as usual we couldn't go past the bus each time. On an average, this bus stopped for around 3 minutes in each bus stop. Couldn't click during the 4th stop.

They are planning to make this a 4 lane road(Nice Road junction-Meenakshi temple). But without proper planning even 4 lane will not the serve the purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-1ststop.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-second-stop.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-third-stop.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2011, 11:19   #2708
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post

A few days ago Hebbal to MTP was a nightmare. I guess it was Tuesday. Took me a good 45 mins to cross MTP from Hebbal. At peak hours this cross can be one of the worst. If we can cross this before 8.00 am, it'll be a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Today morning on the way to office,
-------
2 things from what happened
-------
Looks like the cars and the bikes are not getting along today. After I crossed the K.R. Puram underpass and was proceeding towards Whitefiled, a Santro in front of me suddenly braked hard. I braked just in time to avoid it but an Ind-Suzuki bike rear ended me. It wasn't a big impact. We both parked our vehicles sideways and checked for damages. My car didn't have a single scratch. The bike also did not have any visible damage. The bikers apologized and told me there's no problem. I told them about the incident and they nodded indicating they saw it and this was inevitable. We both agreed there was nothing to be talked about or settled and departed.

Quote:
I took the route you suggested and it took me only 1 hr 15 minutes. On a normal traffic day, it usually takes me more time than this if i go through the city! I think i will make this my regular route now.
Won't this route be long for you? And 1 hr 15 minutes is a pretty good time from BR :-)

Quote:
PS: The long arm of Hebbal flyover to get onto ORR is sure fun
Couldn't get this

Last edited by JVH : 22nd September 2011 at 11:20.
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 11:32   #2709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Won't this route be long for you? And 1 hr 15 minutes is a pretty good time from BR :-)

Couldn't get this
Yes its longer but seemed more relaxed.

Well, its a wiiiide curve and mostly empty. Lateral g forces?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
This is a daily situation that many of us face in Bannerghatta Road(From Nice Road juction to Meenakshi Temple or vice-versa).
Yup. Specially the bus stop at Loyola school is pretty nasty since it has vehicles turning in all directions.
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:07   #2710
BHPian

Quote:
Suddenly I feel a huge jolt from behind - an Alto had crashed into my stopped bike from behind! I didn't raise my voice at all, simply glared at him. He was a techie from Sasken, very decently apologized profusely, admitted his mistake /carelessness and asked me to stop at the side after the signal.
I always have this fear when I'm stopping at a signal when its turning to red from green!
Nice on his part to own up his mistake and apologize.

Quote:
I think he was busy looking at you-know-what in the nearby bus stop, anyone who travels from jayadeva to silk board will know what I am referring to
Indeed. Its such a sight throughout that stretch, better if you're sitting in a high seated Air Conditioned volvo with transparent windows
Old 22nd September 2011, 13:30   #2711
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post

Looks like the cars and the bikes are not getting along today. After I crossed the K.R. Puram underpass and was proceeding towards Whitefiled, a Santro in front of me suddenly braked hard. I braked just in time to avoid it but an Ind-Suzuki bike rear ended me. It wasn't a big impact. We both parked our vehicles sideways and checked for damages. My car didn't have a single scratch. The bike also did not have any visible damage. The bikers apologized and told me there's no problem. I told them about the incident and they nodded indicating they saw it and this was inevitable. We both agreed there was nothing to be talked about or settled and departed.
Ideally the guy at the back has to maintain sufficient distance and be prepared for sudden braking. Of course, both our cases were minor but there simply is no excuse for rear ending. Seems to be quite common in Marathahalli ORR traffic though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post

Indeed. Its such a sight throughout that stretch, better if you're sitting in a high seated Air Conditioned volvo with transparent windows
And even better if on a bike wearing a helmet with black tinted visor only one way surveillance possible
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:09   #2712
BHPian

Quote:

- There was no bad blood / road rage here, I didn't flare up, just calmly pointed out to him that he wasn't attentive on the road. He admitted to his carelessness and apologized profusely. Mistakes happen, but what was more important was the way he owned up to his mistakes and offered to stop and enquire about my vehicle too. I wish all road users were this courteous.
I can share my experience on a similar note. This happened bout 20 months ago when I had just taken delivery of my Punto a week earlier and was driving to work in the morning. The traffic in double road opposite Lalbagh usually moves very slowly and that day was no different. Suddenly there was bang from behind and I saw that a Hyundai accent had rear ended me may be at about 20km/ hour speed. The driver was a lady and I guess she must have been distracted by mobile or something. Otherwise there was no need to crash when the vehicles are moving very slowly.

Stopped the car and got down to see the damage. My bumper on the left side was dislocated from its position and the reverse parking light / reflector combo was broken. But there was no dent to either car or bumper. I could see the crowd standing by the road side started gathering up just to "window shop". The lady I guess must be another techie and she was apologetic for the incident and not once tried to show it was not her mistake. All I did was took her mobile # and her car number and said she will have to bear the repair cost and drove off. The whole process took about a minute.

While on the drive, I gave her a call again and ensured that she gave me the right phone number. Again she was apologetic in the call. I said it is ok and proceeded. Later in the evening took the car to Concorde motors Mysore road and asked them what can be done. They brought the mechanic and tried to push in the dislocated bumper and it slotted inside without any issue. The only problem was broken reverse light/reflector which as expected they did not have a spare. He said he will order and call me when the part reach them. The bumper fixing was done free of cost. I was given an estimate of Rs.1200.

I sent her a message updating status and said I will send the scanned copy of bill after replacing the reverse parking light and she can transfer amount to my back account. She agreed. A month passed with no sign of the spare coming from FIAT. I was surprised when the lady herself called me asked me what happened to the bill and she has not heard from me from more than a month. I told her that I will update once I have the spare. A good 5 months passed before FIAT finally got me the spare for the reverse parking light. The total cost for the light + fixing was Rs.800. Once fixed, I scanned the copy of bill and sent it to her email id and asked her to transfer Rs.800 to my bank account. She was prompt and the very next day she credited the amount to my account. Thanked her for the honest settlement and it ended there.

Like Karthik said, mistakes do happen and it is in our hands on how to convert an unpleasnt experience into a pleasant one. When I think about it now, I dont remember how my week old Punto got banged, but how the honest settlement was done 5 months after the incident happened. But in my case I was lucky that the other person was equally honest.

My father in law was instigating my wife telling her that your husband is a useless guy and he should have extracted some money from the girl before letting her go after the incident happened. I am glad that I had an opportunity to prove to my wife that human values matter more in life than money.

Last edited by gopikb : 22nd September 2011 at 14:17.
gopikb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:15   #2713
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think he was busy looking at you-know-what in the nearby bus stop, anyone who travels from jayadeva to silk board will know what I am referring to
Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
Quote:
And even better if on a bike wearing a helmet with black tinted visor only one way surveillance possible
now now boys, lets not get carried away. lest a MOD finds out your evil intentions
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:28   #2714
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well, its a wiiiide curve and mostly empty. Lateral g forces?
Oh! Its great curve, isn't it? I normally take my bike out in the early mornings on this route for quick spins :-)

Quote:
Ideally the guy at the back has to maintain sufficient distance and be prepared for sudden braking
Technically yes, but we all know how wide or big the tolerance limit is in the city to keep distances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post

My father in law was instigating my wife telling her that your husband is a useless guy and he should have extracted some money from the girl before letting her go after the incident happened. I am glad that I had an opportunity to prove to my wife that human values matter more in life than money.
If the parties are willing to listen and work out for solutions together, it can be handled very well. Yours is a perfect example.

A very similar incident under similar circumstances I had go through last year. Here I was the guy who rear ended a brand new Ford Figo. Post 119.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...00-kms-10.html
JVH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 14:52   #2715
Team-BHP Support

From what I see from my office window, it looks like Marathahalli - Bellandur stretch is already jammed now at 3pm! I wonder how bad it will get in the evening today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post

Thanks Karthik. I will tell the guys to fill up these potholes immediately.
I think the huge pothole where the girl fell down, is now tarred up. The entire stretch is much much better, noticed it today morning. Thanks for the effort Fauji! The earlier pothole stretch (cessna to papa johns' junction) still remains bad though after re-tarring. Rain has played havoc and prevented the tar from getting set i think. The surface seems to have started breaking off in parts already

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopikb View Post
I can share my experience on a similar note. This happened bout 20 months ago when I had just taken delivery of my Punto a week earlier and was driving to work in the morning. The traffic in double road opposite Lalbagh usually moves very slowly and that day was no different. Suddenly there was bang from behind and I saw that a Hyundai accent had rear ended me may be at about 20km/ hour speed. The driver was a lady and I guess she must have been distracted by mobile or something. Otherwise there was no need to crash when the vehicles are moving very slowly.

I am glad that I had an opportunity to prove to my wife that human values matter more in life than money.
Great to know how amicably this accident was resolved. I wish the offenders were this courteous always. Most of the times, they try to prove the other driver was at fault and/or somehow escape from the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
now now boys, lets not get carried away. lest a MOD finds out your evil intentions

oops! I was converting the 'Rant on bangalore traffic' thread into 'how not to rant on traffic when passing through BTM layout'! I should be more careful

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd September 2011 at 15:18. Reason: fixed a typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks