Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2012, 12:44   #3196
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
I don't know how many of you know this, just discovered it yesterday so thought of sharing:

If you come out of Manipal Hospital and want to go towards Marathahalli, you need to drive all the way to Trinity Circle for taking a legal U-turn. God knows which brilliant mind thought of implementing this.
What happened to the U-Turn right opposite the main gate of Diamond-District/Carlton Towers, just before the Domlur/Airport Road flyover junction?

I haven't really noticed, even though I go to Airport Road from Indiranagar on a regular basis.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:48   #3197
Oxy
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
What happened to the U-Turn right opposite the main gate of Diamond-District/Carlton Towers, just before the Domlur/Airport Road flyover junction?

I haven't really noticed, even though I go to Airport Road from Indiranagar on a regular basis.
It's been ages since that U-turn is closed. The next one, at the Domlur Shanti Sagar signal is also a No U-Turn now.

Last edited by Oxy : 16th April 2012 at 12:51.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:51   #3198
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you come out of Manipal Hospital and want to go towards Marathahalli, you need to drive all the way to Trinity Circle for taking a legal U-turn. God knows which brilliant mind thought of implementing this.
No you don't, you need to pass the flyover, descent through the garbage onto the Domlur service road and rejoin the old Airport road to Marathahalli

Quote:
Blocked up, the brilliant mind reasoned that 4 wheelers had the turning circle of 2 meters. In reality, it jammed up the road since there was a queue of people waiting to do three point turns. Now it is used for scooters turnred scrambler bikes!
Old 16th April 2012, 12:52   #3199
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's been ages since that you turn is closed. The next one, at the Domlur Shanti Sagar signal is also a No U-Turn now.
Damn that's bad.

But in that case, what one could do is take the ramp up towards Indiranagar, take a left after Barbeque Nation and a left towards Domlur Bus Stop and get onto Airport Road (towards Marathalli)

it will be shorter than the drive to Trinity Circle.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Blocked up, the brilliant mind reasoned that 4 wheelers had the turning circle of 2 meters. In reality, it jammed up the road since there was a queue of people waiting to do three point turns. Now it is used for scooters turnred scrambler bikes!
Oops, just saw your post right after submitting mine. *face-palm*

Yeah, they did the right thing by closing that U-Turn up, actually. Driving towards Domlur on Airport Road was a nightmare because of that junction. Not to mention the terrible undulations right after that U-Turn.

Just for that one U-Turn, people would queue up in two lanes and end up blocking traffic that wants to go straight.

But they haven't really though ahead. Or have they? *considering the Indiranagar Ramp/Domlur Service Road route*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th April 2012 at 12:59.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:55   #3200
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
No you don't, you need to pass the flyover, descent through the garbage onto the Domlur service road and rejoin the old Airport road to Marathahalli
Yeah, but that means driving on the service road, which again is not legal.
Old 16th April 2012, 12:58   #3201
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The service road is legal, what on earth do you mean?
Old 16th April 2012, 13:02   #3202
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
The service road is legal, what on earth do you mean?
I don't think you can drive on service roads legally. There's a reason why there are no traffic signals on service roads.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:05   #3203
Team-BHP Support

There are no signs prohibiting driving on service roads and there is no traffic rule mandating this. Besides the traffic signal at domlur permits you to cross from service road and merge into traffic
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 13:12   #3204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you can drive on service roads legally. There's a reason why there are no traffic signals on service roads.
What are service roads for, if not to drive on?

On some stretches of ORR, for some time in recent past, service roads were the only roads on which we could drive!
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 13:23   #3205
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
There are no signs prohibiting driving on service roads and there is no traffic rule mandating this. Besides the traffic signal at domlur permits you to cross from service road and merge into traffic
Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
What are service roads for, if not to drive on?

On some stretches of ORR, for some time in recent past, service roads were the only roads on which we could drive!
There's already a discussion on this available on this very thread. Suggest you guys go through the below post and ones which follow it:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post1835618
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2012, 13:25   #3206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just for that one U-Turn, people would queue up in two lanes and end up blocking traffic that wants to go straight.
That is only one half of the story. There are also the wise guys who, when coming from Koramangala side on the IRR, save half a kilometre by going underneath the interchange, cross the city-bound Airport Road lanes and use this U-turn to get onto Marathahalli-bound Airport Road (instead of taking the exit ramp from up the interchange to do so). Bikes, autos and even cars.

I still see people doing this (bikers, mostly).

I wonder if there is/can be a backdoor exit from Manipal Hospital to Wind Tunnel Road.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:29   #3207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
There's already a discussion on this available on this very thread. Suggest you guys go through the below post and ones which follow it:

Thanks for this, I looked at it

The service road is meant to be used to "access" a building or a junction. Not to be used as a main thoroughfare
Old 16th April 2012, 13:34   #3208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Whether or not driving on service roads is illegal, I'm not sure. But a certain amount of discretion may be used, while driving into service roads.

A service road is meant for traffic that desires to get into the locality/building next to a dual-carriageway. It is designed for the purpose of allowing traffic to flow smoothly off the main-road, instead of holding up traffic at U-Turns, junctions, intersections, etc. So a service road can be used in such instances.

Getting onto a service road for the purpose of getting ahead of the queue of traffic is frowned upon, but still done in many parts of the country, let alone Bangalore.

But a service road that's used for the intended purpose is always welcomed. You don't want to stop on the right-most lane to take a U-Turn on a busy main road like Airport Road. You'd rather get away from the line of traffic and go the direction you intend to go.

That said, my (the other) suggestion to go to Marathalli from Manipal seems plausible. And it should nullify this argument too.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is only one half of the story. There are also the wise guys who, when coming from Koramangala side on the IRR, save half a kilometre by going underneath the interchange, cross the city-bound Airport Road lanes and use this U-turn to get onto Marathahalli-bound Airport Road (instead of taking the exit ramp from up the interchange to do so). Bikes, autos and even cars.

I still see people doing this (bikers, mostly).

I wonder if there is/can be a backdoor exit from Manipal Hospital to Wind Tunnel Road.
And they don't realize that they're probably wasting fuel and even time by trying this. Constant shift to 1st, 2nd, 3rd and back to 1st gear while negotiating all those turnings will probably require more fuel, than sticking to one gear or two, if the ramp is used instead; not to mention the time saved. *bangs head*

Last edited by suhaas307 : 16th April 2012 at 13:40.
Old 16th April 2012, 13:45   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Isn't that "service road" just a continuation of the road that people would take if they want to get onto the Old Airport road from IRR and go towards the Command Hospital? I dont think it can be called a service road. Are there any building entrances on that side road?
Old 16th April 2012, 13:51   #3210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the link. But having been driving on the ORR stretch (from Bellandur to EMC2) every morning and night, all I can say is: rules, traffic sense, roads and Bangalore somehow do not gel with each other! Service lanes are NOT service lanes in their strictest sense in Bangalore. You drive wherever you can find space! I do not see anything wrong with that. When the town planners gave us the worst roads (both in terms of quality as well as planning) what can you do? Are any crossings proper in this city? Is it easy to take right turns? Dont people need to take turns? When they sanctioned all these huge tech parks didnt they think about traffic chaos they would cause given the roads? A 6KM drive on ORR takes me 30 mins (so giving an average of 12KMPH) on good days and can take more than an hour at times, that too at off hours (after 8pm). I do not leave office before 8pm for the fear of traffic these days. Who is at fault for all this nonsense?

Most Viewed