Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:38   #3286
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Isn't it surprising that even the last time there was such a mess at this junction, it never made it to the newspapers even!
+1. Even I was expecting a report on the previous traffic jam but none of the papers carried anything about it. I guess jams at Marathahalli are so common, they are not anything new anymore

Quote:
Looks like they do not seek to learn from previous mistakes, or that history repeats itself. On the very same ORR stretch alone, we have had instances of flooding earlier owing to rains - the Marathalli underpass, and the underpass below the railway bridge leading towards KR Puram.

Considering these, a flyover would have been a better bet than an underpass which has no drainage facilities!
from what I heard, the Kadubeesanahalli junction failed the soil test when they wanted to know if it could be strong enough to support the flyover weight, and that was the reason they went ahead with the underpass layout instead. Not completely sure how correct this is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How does the water get drained if there are no drainage facilities? The drainage will be a little slower and might have some water logging during a heavy downpour. But they do have drainage for all the underpasses throughout the city.
Exactly the point I was trying to make. So the construction authorities should have known about this drainage problem since monsoon was approaching anyway and should have either
a. accelerated or pre-planned the constructions to complete before the rains arrived, or
b. provided alternate roads to diffuse the traffic in this hot spot, considering it is the only way to reach many offices in m'halli / whitefield / ITPL areas

Last edited by benbsb29 : 3rd May 2012 at 09:10. Reason: Typo corrected on request.
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:19   #3287
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Waterlogging at Kadubisenahalli Underpass today mornig ( Got the photos as email forward)
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kadu-01.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kadu-02.jpg  

ankan.m.blr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:48   #3288
BHPian

Picture might be taken during morning time.
I took around an hour to cross from bellandur Sobha till kadubisanahalli.
There was no water at the underpass at around 11:30AM, but traffic is due to the cascade effect.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:15   #3289
Distinguished - BHPian

Got held up near to Innovative multiplex in morning on way to office at Kadubeesanahalli at 8:05 AM, took one hour to cross that ~1.7 Km finally saved by the incomplete service road while underpass was drained of rain water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Considering these, a flyover would have been a better bet than an underpass which has no drainage facilities!
My colleague says of Sirsi flyover (Corporation circle- Mysore road circle) which was closed for around a month is open now without any specific repairs. Seems drains not working after they relaid the surface and flyover is like a over head water tank now
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:33   #3290
BHPian

So much for our nation's awesome engineering manpower and skills.

Next time someone brags about the millions of engineers India is producing compared to China/US/etc; show them such marvels of India's engineering.

After spending almost 1 hour on the road, I turned around back and came home. Mind you, my home-office commute is only 5.5 km.

Shudder to think the impact of today morning's pile up has had on scheduled meetings, conf calls, interviews & overall productivity loss.
Even worse is the amount of fuel wasted.

Because basic principles weren't adhered to while designing the underpass. Which anyways, isn't uncommon.

Last edited by lazy : 2nd May 2012 at 15:57.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:47   #3291
Senior - BHPian

Where is our engineering and design headed? From a country of so many architectural marvels, after centuries we have reached this stage where our authorities can't even simple structures like an underpass or a drainage work properly. Some drainage works like Mcgrath road near garuda mall, Richmond road near Hosmat are a shame to humanity if not to India.Going on for more than 2 years blocking the road and turning the place to shambles.
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:40   #3292
BHPian

Is this a Logan/Veritio. The water is reaching the headlights so the exhaust must be underwater. how come the engine does not stall?
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kadu-01.jpg  

Old 2nd May 2012, 22:43   #3293
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Is this a Logan/Veritio. The water is reaching the headlights so the exhaust must be underwater. how come the engine does not stall?
Car will still run even if exhaust is under water. If you keep the rpm high the exhaust gases will prevent the water from entering. The minute you drop rpm and the water pressure is high enough then your in trouble. The water will then enter the exhaust, causing the engine to choke. When it chokes the engine stalls and water enters through the exhaust. That means get out and push and tow to garage.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 22:47   #3294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
shift to 1st gear and keep revving. this will make sure that water doesn't enter the exhaust, because the moment water enters the exhaust, the engine will stall and then you're dead in the water (figuratively).

i've driven a M800 through similar waters (water inside the cabin) and gotten through
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2012, 23:05   #3295
BHPian

^^^ Also one need to know exactly where the air intake of the filter box, to sail through!

IMO, the logan driver was stupid. In an underpass, you can never gauge the depth of water, of course you can see the vehicle going in front, but what if there is a pothole. Also the waves can raise the water levels in no time.

Coming back to the traffic mess today, many of my colleagues returned home after spending 1 hr in traffic. Don't expect this incident also to make news. None of the netas/babus travel this stretch, and no one bothers, except the hapless cops managing the traffic.
Old 2nd May 2012, 23:35   #3296
Senior - BHPian

This is not even a major intersection and there was no need for this underpass in my opinion (the one in pics above). It is going to be a very long summer for us this year. It practically rains every evening here. I am really dreading the prospect of driving thru this every day.
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:35   #3297
BHPian

Going by the snaps it appears as if the vehicles are moving in a drain.

It doen't matter if the architecture is for the drain or underpass - both can serve the same purpose - If it rains the underpass doubles as storm water drain. In software terms - reusability

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Where is our engineering and design headed? From a country of so many architectural marvels, after centuries we have reached this stage where our authorities can't even simple structures like an underpass or a drainage work properly. Some drainage works like Mcgrath road near garuda mall, Richmond road near Hosmat are a shame to humanity if not to India.Going on for more than 2 years blocking the road and turning the place to shambles.
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:58   #3298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
shift to 1st gear and keep revving. this will make sure that water doesn't enter the exhaust, because the moment water enters the exhaust, the engine will stall and then you're dead in the water (figuratively).

i've driven a M800 through similar waters (water inside the cabin) and gotten through
That's exactly what I did! first gear and kept revvin... at one point I lost grip but slid across and kept momentum! I was trying to drive on higher elevation, a good samaritan waved me to avoid it as grade separating cement blocks had moved haywire and would have risked stalling.

Quote:
This is not even a major intersection and there was no need for this underpass in my opinion (the one in pics above). It is going to be a very long summer for us this year. It practically rains every evening here. I am really dreading the prospect of driving thru this every day.
Well there is proper storm water drain for the underpass and its done but problem is its not complete and connected to the outlet yet because of work-in-progress for other side of underpass! I talked to cops as well, usual blame game BBMP mandated this in the contract but contractor dint bother!

Last edited by GTO : 4th May 2012 at 09:43. Reason: Please use our QUOTE system the way it is intended to be
Old 4th May 2012, 00:36   #3299
Senior - BHPian

From Silk board junction to Hosakote, can i take the Hosur road-Richmond road-OMR?
Old 4th May 2012, 00:43   #3300
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys
From Silk board junction to Hosakote, can i take the Hosur road-Richmond road-OMR?
Assuming you want to avoid ORR, I suggest you take Silk board-Koramangala IRR-BEML Gate-OMR.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks