Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2012, 09:19   #3301
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Where is our engineering and design headed? From a country of so many architectural marvels, after centuries we have reached this stage where our authorities can't even simple structures like an underpass or a drainage work properly. Some drainage works like Mcgrath road near garuda mall, Richmond road near Hosmat are a shame to humanity if not to India.Going on for more than 2 years blocking the road and turning the place to shambles.
Sir, with due respect for Indian architecture, I am of the firm belief that since the ancient rulers were vanquished and once British left, we haven't built anything of credibility or that can be termed as a marvel. I am seriously trying to think of ONE architectural marvel that we have built in the last 20-30 years. And I can't remember one.
Old 4th May 2012, 16:11   #3302
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Sir, with due respect for Indian architecture, I am of the firm belief that since the ancient rulers were vanquished and once British left, we haven't built anything of credibility or that can be termed as a marvel. I am seriously trying to think of ONE architectural marvel that we have built in the last 20-30 years. And I can't remember one.
BUT, I simply have to do this ... Konkan Railway. I rest my case.
Old 4th May 2012, 20:45   #3303
Team-BHP Support

Just got a message from BTP :

"Supreme Court Order" : Black Film of any transparency is not allowed on any vehicle..See Rule 100 of CMVR. Kindly remove now & AVOID penalty..

And now the circus begins! :(
Old 5th May 2012, 09:02   #3304
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A note of appreciation for our BBMP folks for having woken up finally and done something (maybe shortlived though) worthwhile - potholes on the Old Madras Rd stretch between RMZ Millenia near Ulsoor Lake and Suranjan Das Road have been filled up. Some of the notably large and painful potholes that come to mind immediately and now filled up are the ones immediately after the BDA shopping complex/IOC petrol bunk signal at Indiranagar, large multi-pothole patch immediately after 100 ft Rd junction and another large one at the Isolation Hospital/Kalpally Rd junction.

Last edited by NPV : 5th May 2012 at 09:04.
Old 5th May 2012, 09:19   #3305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Just got a message from BTP :

"Supreme Court Order" : Black Film of any transparency is not allowed on any vehicle..See Rule 100 of CMVR. Kindly remove now & AVOID penalty..

And now the circus begins! :(
Okay, so today I receive another SMS

"Tinted Glass Prohibited" front and rear glass 70% and side glass 50% visibility should be there. Only company fitted glass can be used. kindly remove all black films on your vehicle glass.........

So, I guess there is some hope; the above specification is what earlier was called RTO-approved so those who have followed it shouldn't have a problem.
Old 5th May 2012, 10:55   #3306
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
"Tinted Glass Prohibited" front and rear glass 70% and side glass 50% visibility should be there. Only company fitted glass can be used. kindly remove all black films on your vehicle glass.........

So, I guess there is some hope; the above specification is what earlier was called RTO-approved so those who have followed it shouldn't have a problem.
I'm not trying to read between the lines but going by the text of the SMS it still seems we should not have any film, only the company fitted glasses with tint, what am I missing ?
I'm going to look for my 3M bill/warranty card to have proof of the visbility %, which as far as I can remember is within the approved limit.
Old 5th May 2012, 13:01   #3307
Team-BHP Support

Not sure about the eventual outcome, but nevertheless.

Quote:
Stung by public criticism at the flooding of a newly completed underpass on the eastern flank of the Outer Ring Road, BDA says it has issued notice to the contractor.
Link to the article :
Citizen Matters: BDA pulls up contractor for flooded Ring Road underpass
Old 5th May 2012, 17:40   #3308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
The road has been tarred. This is the update from my wife who just reached office now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Finally some good news regarding the road connecting Graphite india junction to ORR (marathalli). The strech after the Alpine Eco apartments looks like it could tarred in a few days time. Today the road has been levelled.
Wrt the above, the road was tarred a couple of days later.
Last week after the heavy rains, a 2m strech of the road (that runs parallel to the ORR) caved in and now there is gravel to cover up that section.
All this just 6 weeks after it was tarred; thats the quality of road work in Bangalore.
Old 5th May 2012, 17:58   #3309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Well, you see - (several of) the ancient rulers and the Britishers weren't really worried about the lot of the people of India, so they could get away with building architectural marvels. Post-independence India's leaders couldn't afford such a high-handed outlook in what was then a bankrupt nation, so built only utilitarian stuff. Things like, you know - Konkan Railway, Bhakra & Nangal Dams, the Bokaro steel plant, Nava Sheva Port (JNPT), Tarapur Atomic Power Plant, Hyderabad & Delhi new airports, the city of Chandigarh, the Jamnagar oil refinery and so on. None of these would win awards for being "architectural marvels" as you call them, but they all contribute to the much-touted "9% growth" that we apparently are experiencing.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2012, 17:59   #3310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Assuming you want to avoid ORR, I suggest you take Silk board-Koramangala IRR-BEML Gate-OMR.
It took me one hour to Hosakote from my home at Bommanahalli when started at 8.30 pm, yesterday.
Old 5th May 2012, 22:39   #3311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys

It took me one hour to Hosakote from my home at Bommanahalli when started at 8.30 pm, yesterday.
Well from your post, I'm not quite sure if you are happy or not! :stupid But considering you've traveled about 30 odd km including city and highway, I think one hour is a good time!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2012, 13:28   #3312
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

If you're wondering what's wrong here - This KSRTC bus had broken down right in the middle of the road blocking the entry to the NGEF road from Old Madras Rd (on 4 May) causing a lot of confusion that we can live without !
With the KSRTC satellite bus stand hardly a kilometre away they could have at least had it towed away or moved to one side of the road where it would not hamper regular traffic movement but that's just a distant dream
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ksrtc-bus-4-may-2012.jpg
Old 6th May 2012, 19:31   #3313
Senior - BHPian

Even if a bus isn't broken down at that spot, it still is a problem. Why? Because that's where the BMTC bus stop is - yep, right at that corner. The driver doesn't care a hoot about blocking the traffic behind him; just stops there as long as he wishes the slowly crawls out o
Old 7th May 2012, 16:51   #3314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Even if a bus isn't broken down at that spot, it still is a problem. Why? Because that's where the BMTC bus stop is - yep, right at that corner. The driver doesn't care a hoot about blocking the traffic behind him; just stops there as long as he wishes the slowly crawls out o

Anil, isn't that the case in many many places in Bangalore? (the above stop, one in GM Palya while going towards Kaggadaspura/Vignanagar, old airport road opp to Total mall and the list goes on).

I always wonder why there is a bus stop right at a junction and at the narrow lanes (when there is a wider road ahead). They never seem to bother to move the stop a little further ahead, which may solve most of the jams.
Old 7th May 2012, 17:16   #3315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Anil, isn't that the case in many many places in Bangalore?
I always wonder why there is a bus stop right at a junction and at the narrow lanes (when there is a wider road ahead).
Add Mehkri Circle bus stop (towards Hebbal) to that notorious list! Anybody who has travelled on a weekday evening would know how much a bottleneck it is, solely due to the bus-stop near the Airforce training command. The problem is that there is no space at all for relocating the bus stop anywhere nearby. So this bottleneck may remain as it is for quite a lot of years to come.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks