Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 13:35   #3361
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Had a chance to experience peak traffic last night b/w ITPL and BTM.
I work odd hours , so I escape traffic to and from work which I am really glad about after last night.

I left GR Tech Park at 845 and had to head to BTM layout. I never use these high density road since I stay near Blore East RS. I really did not think of traffic since for me peak traffic was always between 6p-8p and in the mornings. I took the left at Big Bazaar on and headed towards Marthahalli. Traffic was not heavy till the Marthahalli bridge. The bridge over the railway line was jammed but moving at a snails pace. Took more than 15 minutes to cross the bridge was thinking once I hit ORR it should be fine. Little did I know it was much worse.

Lucily it had stopped raining . The only strecthes were I could gain some speed was between the flyovers and underpasses and almost half a km before these spots there was a jam with almost 4-5 lanes of cars lined up. Fortunately it was a crawling jam. The obvious problems were bottle necks at these sites were multiple lanes have to become 2 lanes
One thing I noticed and appreciated was the discipline in keeping lanes and even at the bottle necks, drivers were alternating in letting a vehicle or two go from each lane to merge into just two lanes.

Maybe this was because there were hardly any cabs that were in the traffic, it was more of private cars and less of two wheelers . There were one or two impatient drivers who kept cutting and forcefully overtaking when there is no enough space. That apart the traffic was moving at a very slow pace . The opposite lane was choc a bloc as well towards KR Puram due to same reasons as well as broken down trucks and a BMTC Volvo that hit a cab which was trying to squeeze through the left at the single lane underpass .
The irritating part is slow moving vehicles on the right lane. I saw this truck carrying a bulldozer hogging the right lane when he could have easily kept left and let the cars use the right lane and to top it all a Pune regd Alto with a lady driver doing 40 on the right lane smoking away inside. That really ticked me off and I had to overtake on the left and cut her off and I am sure she didnt even realize!

Took me and hour and 15 to do the 20 kms and at the end I could feel the play on my Clutch pedal had reduced!
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 15:50   #3362
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I made the mistake of taking the ORR to get back home last evening, which turned out to be a major blunder.
Observe the kadubisanahalli junction and the panathur road till GEAR school during peak hours to see the worst driving ever possible by mankind. I take this road back to Whitefield from Sarjapur on my cycle. And cycle is the only way someone is going to make the trip in under 40 mins through this route. I wonder how some of the cars there got oriented in unbelievable directions. It's not a classic 4 way deadlock, its an N way deadlock with people squeezing in from all unimaginable directions.

I wonder if getting a couple of traffic constables at the Panathur turning will help the cause?
Old 16th May 2012, 16:05   #3363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
I wonder if getting a couple of traffic constables at the Panathur turning will help the cause?
It did work for a couple of days, but once the cops disappeared, hell broke loose as usual.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:14   #3364
BHPian

Got stopped by a Cop today for the first time ever for jumping a signal apparently partly due to my stupidity.

So I was driving on Dairy circle road towards Nimhans and those who drive on this road would know of a traffic signal which turns red for around 20-30 secs to let pedestrians cross the road from one side of Nimhans to the other.

I was driving normally and then saw the signal turn amber. Instead of carrying on, even though I could have easily, I decided to stop and the bus on my left sailed through conveniently.
I had barely stopped for 3-4 secs when loud horns started blaring from behind me. I first thought its the usual looneys honking at a red signal. Then suddenly I heard an ambulance siren, pretty loud and though it was right behind me. Like a fool I started moving forward without really scanning my mirrors properly to a point where I had 'officially' jumped the signal and had to move on to avoid blocking the road for pedestrians. A cop standing right there signaled me to stop and I think he clicked a photo of my car with his *fancy* P&S camera.

Well it was partly my fault as I didn't need to move forward as the ambulance was on the left and was going to take a turn in Nimhans. But a tavera taxi behind me honked loudly and I moved ahead just so that any ambulance in an emergency wouldn't be blocked. Will I be receiving a email with a photo of my car and a 100 buck fine?

I felt embarrassed to have a IDS sticker and 8 other TBhp stickers on my car while other motorists looked at me with piercing eyes.

To stay On topic, the route I take, Bilekahalli-Dairy Circle-Lalbagh-KH Road-Cooperation-Palace Road-Race Course Road is pretty much chock-a-block anytime during the day. Even if I alter the route to Bilekahalli-Dairy Circle-Bannerghatta Road-Hosur Road-Museum Road-Queens Road-Governors House-Race Course road is pretty much the same. 11-12kms take 45-1hr15mins!

Last edited by superutp : 16th May 2012 at 17:19.
Old 16th May 2012, 17:38   #3365
Senior - BHPian

^ we don't know of a black Beat with Team-BHP stickers; i think he's not a BHPian

don't fret mate; has happened to me. was passing a signal and when i crossed the stop line it was green. then people from behind started coming from the wrong side and trying to pass. i got stuck and the signal turned red. the cop who saw all this stopped me and fined me.

take it in your stride. all is well.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 00:15   #3366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK
i got stuck and the signal turned red. the cop who saw all this stopped me and fined me.

take it in your stride. all is well.
While taking a right turn on Old Airport Road towards Windtunnel Road, I was once blocked by a bus taking a u-turn and by the time the bus turned, I was stuck between traffic coming from the opposite side! Had no way to reverse, so went on to cross the signal before the opposite traffic flow became heavy!

I was caught by a cop, but when I explained how the bus had taken a turn by crossing across me, he pulled out a blackberry, checked either my registration no. history or some video feed from the cameras at the junction and after a minute, asked me to go!! I was very glad that the cop didn't show an intention to fleece me at all!!
adroit_91 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 09:03   #3367
Team-BHP Support

With increased utilisation of the Shanthinaggar Bus station, Double Road is a mess going towards LalBagh due to high traffic. You are better of joining Double Road on flyover or better still, take a roundabout route via Mission Road
Old 17th May 2012, 11:16   #3368
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post

I was caught by a cop, but when I explained how the bus had taken a turn by crossing across me, he pulled out a blackberry, checked either my registration no. history or some video feed from the cameras at the junction and after a minute, asked me to go!! I was very glad that the cop didn't show an intention to fleece me at all!!
With respect to my post above, the cop stopped me and I tried explaining my situation. However, he insisted that the ambulance was nowhere near me and I should have checked my mirrors properly (proper advice for a change). I agreed with that and there was no point arguing further. I think he took a photo of my car and then told me to carry on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
With increased utilisation of the Shanthinaggar Bus station, Double Road is a mess going towards LalBagh due to high traffic. You are better of joining Double Road on flyover or better still, take a roundabout route via Mission Road
I take mission road>Lalbagh Road and avoid Double Road in the mornings, however in the evenings coming from Marigowda Road I need to decide whether to take Double road or else go on to JW Road and then head to cooperation. Either ways I meet a lot of traffic. The Double Road route is the route which most buses and volvos follow going to/from majestic towards bannerghatta road/hosur road. As a result, its a literal pain in the *you know what*
Old 17th May 2012, 11:42   #3369
BHPian

Its a real nightmare commuting to office nowadays. Marathalli - Vrindavan Tech Village and beyond is a constant mess. Wonder how long this sorry state continues.
Old 17th May 2012, 15:32   #3370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Its a real nightmare commuting to office nowadays. Marathalli - Vrindavan Tech Village and beyond is a constant mess. Wonder how long this sorry state continues.
Well, wait for couple of weeks more for monsoon to start. Will be better to walk from Marathahalli to Vrindavan tech park till Kadubisinahalli underpass work is done. I got stuck above underpass for around 40 mins when it rained on last Monday evening.
Old 17th May 2012, 15:52   #3371
Senior - BHPian

I saw a cop taking picture of a car near Dairy circle on Bannerghatta road today. The driver had pulled over and was talking on the phone. He seemed unaware of the cop.

I found it kind of ironic. The driver is trying to do the right thing by not driving while talking on the phone. Yet, his actions still dont put him in the clear. He is still guilty of stopping in a no stopping zone and impeding traffic. Tomorrow when he gets a notice, he will probably wonder, "When did i park there??" At the same time, I regularly see people on that road driving while talking, and they are not even using a hands free!
Old 17th May 2012, 16:02   #3372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I saw a cop taking picture of a car near Dairy circle on Bannerghatta road today.
Is it that I just started noticing now or cops started carrying camera nowdays. I saw for first time a digital camera carrying cop in Bangalore last weekend. From then I have seen couple of posts in this thread about cops taking picture of traffic violators. Is it a new addition to their inventory ? . Had seen Hyderabad cops carrying camera to capture violations some 3 years back.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:05   #3373
Senior - BHPian

Today morning saw deviation on the Sarjapura Road near Koramangala 1st Block. The entire two way road has been made one with traffic flowing towards water tank on the main road. While the oncoming traffic has been diverted to the service road. It was a mess at 8.30am in the morning. Hence, if anyone planning to take this road during the evening please go by alternate roads. I guess the underpass work will start fullswing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
In Bangalore, cops fining offenders itself is a new phenomena

But i am only joking. The camera thing is pretty recent at least in Bangalore.
Its funny to see them hiding the cam behind and then suddenly flicking it out, positioning it and shooting. Once I saw one cop standing in front of a offending car, took his own sweet time to frame the perfect shot with the car number plates, hope they say cheese for the driver

they should have been given a DSLR with a telephoto to work their magic.

Last edited by motomaverick : 17th May 2012 at 16:11.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:06   #3374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Is it that I just started noticing now or cops started carrying camera nowdays.
In Bangalore, cops fining offenders itself is a new phenomena

But i am only joking. The camera thing is pretty recent at least in Bangalore.
Old 17th May 2012, 16:09   #3375
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Today morning saw deviation on the Sarjapura Road near Koramangala 1st Block. The entire two way road has been made one with traffic flowing towards water tank on the main road.
If one is going towards the city, then I think the best option is to take the ORR and go via Silk Board. That would at least keep the traffic moving.

Most Viewed