Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 13:01   #3571
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
How unalert could that person be not to notice 2kg lesser weight?

This is India. People are alert even while buying Rs 10 vegetables. Why let down guard with your valuables inside a Volvo?
Simple. In a crowded Volvo with people pressed against you fron various sides, you are not sure if it is you supporting the weight of the bag, or someone else.
Old 12th July 2012, 13:24   #3572
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
How unalert could that person be not to notice 2kg lesser weight?

This is India. People are alert even while buying Rs 10 vegetables. Why let down guard with your valuables inside a Volvo?
It can happen. The Volvo's in the morning are jam packed and if the Laptop bag is on your back, mostly you are crushed against people on all sides, so not all the weight of the bag will be felt on your shoulder.

I had the habit of keeping it hanging from my hand or resting on the floor. There have been instances where due to the crowd u lose sight of it for a few seconds although you are holding it. I now realize that is enough time.

In my case, I knew this was happening in Volvos, I had the phone in my front jeans pocket(reasonably deep one) and normally I have my hand near the pocket all the time. This happened in the one minute between getting into the bus and finding a reasonable position to stand. Unbelievable.
Old 12th July 2012, 13:50   #3573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Maybe we need to follow this example set by South American countries to control our traffic!

Venezuela trains mimes to fight traffic chaos - GlobalPost

-- Wind
Came across this video of mimes controlling traffic and humiliating folks who do not obey signals.

We need something like that in Bangalore as well.

-- Wind
Wind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 14:43   #3574
Team-BHP Support

Here are some smart dudes who think driving up the wrong side of the road comes as a birthright to them.

Notice the abundance of private vehicles among the set. As for BMTC buses, they have made a habit out of this.

On the road leading from Alpine Eco apartments to ORR

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo1049.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo1050.jpg

On the road leading from Graphite India towards SJR Brooklyn apartments/Kundanahalli village.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo1056.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo1057.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo1058.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo1059.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo1061.jpg

On Sarjapur road, leading to the railway crossing near Decathlon.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-photo1062.jpg
Old 13th July 2012, 07:47   #3575
BHPian

Today morning I noticed that the road which goes upwards from ORR towards Marathalli bridge (from Bellandur side ) is closed. How is one supposed to go up towars Marathalli bridge from ORR now ?
Old 13th July 2012, 08:28   #3576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Today morning I noticed that the road which goes upwards from ORR towards Marathalli bridge (from Bellandur side ) is closed. How is one supposed to go up towars Marathalli bridge from ORR now ?
You could cross the bridge and take the full (180 degree) left turn into the down ramp from Varthur Road and go up, in true Bangalorean style. You end on the Whitefield-bound carriageway though.

The second option to go a bit further towards KR Puram and take a left turn towards Doddanekkundi (after Malgudi/Trident Hyundai etc.) and reach Varthur Road near Marathahalli Market.

If you are coming from beyond Bangalore Central, you could take the left turn into Bellandur after the mall and hit Varthur Road via Yemalur.

Though, with the pipeline work going on near HAL, I am surprised people still want to take Varthur Road/Old Airport Road.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 12:42   #3577
Distinguished - BHPian

Bannerghatta Road-NICE Road Junction:

Be extra cautious when you cross the Bannerghatta Road-NICE Road Junction towards Bannerghatta/Anekal, after this junction they have laid a Speed-Breaker on the right side of the road(other side of the divider) and hence these private buses/BMTC that are coming from Bannergahtta side towards city are taking the wrong side of the road at high speeds to avoid this speed breaker. They do that especially when they see a smaller vehicle this side. This morning a private bus almost hit a car due to this.

Knowing the driving sense of these morons, why are these speed breakers laid only on one side of the road?
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 13:27   #3578
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Here are some smart dudes who think driving up the wrong side of the road comes as a birthright to them.

Notice the abundance of private vehicles among the set. As for BMTC buses, they have made a habit out of this.

On the road leading from Alpine Eco apartments to ORR
On the road leading from Graphite India towards SJR Brooklyn apartments/Kundanahalli village.
I took the railway crossing route today to reach Graphite India, and boy was it a mess! The entire road from the crossing was jammed all the way up till the cement factory junction where we join the backside road of Graphite India. Vehicles were going in the opposite direction all the time to jump the queue, leading to huge clogging at the narrow exits. I had an altercation with an Indicab driver who came in the opposite direction and clogged it even more. After a couple of bikers joined in, the guy was forced to reverse and make way.

I think I should stop using this route / alpine eco route, for my own sanity . I would rather prefer the main road from Marathahalli bridge via Cosmos mall / Brookefield from tomorrow.
Old 13th July 2012, 13:48   #3579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I took the railway crossing route today to reach Graphite India, and boy was it a mess! The entire road from the crossing was jammed all the way up till the cement factory junction where we join the backside road of Graphite India. Vehicles were going in the opposite direction all the time to jump the queue, leading to huge clogging at the narrow exits. I had an altercation with an Indicab driver who came in the opposite direction and clogged it even more. After a couple of bikers joined in, the guy was forced to reverse and make way.

I think I should stop using this route / alpine eco route, for my own sanity . I would rather prefer the main road from Marathahalli bridge via Cosmos mall / Brookefield from tomorrow.
My wife took this route in the opposite direction and reported the same. Even she has decided to take the regular route from tomorrow.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 14:11   #3580
BHPian

Key info from BTP . ( Mods , I hope this is the right thread)
No Right turn at Shoolay Circle to Richmond Road

Police Department
PRESS NOTE
Date: 12-7-2012.
Due to the widening of Hosur-Lashkar road , the vehicles coming from Hosur side are reaching the Shoolay circle quickly. As Shoolay circle signal has 3 phases, resulting in traffic congestion/ delay.
To improve traffic regulation and lessening the wait time, The Commissioner of Police, Bangalore city has ordered below changes with immediate effect.
1) The vehicles coming from Brigade Road there is NO RIGHT TURN at Shoolay circle.
2) Vehicles going towards Richmond circle and K H road, should enter WOOD STREET and by taking right turn, enter to TAIT LANE and take right turn and enter Richmond road.
3) The PARKING is banned on TAIT LANE.
We request commuters to co-operate with the changes.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-btp.jpg  

Old 13th July 2012, 17:25   #3581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
Key info from BTP . ( Mods , I hope this is the right thread)
No Right turn at Shoolay Circle to Richmond Road
Hoo boy! This has the makings of a right royal mess. The distance between Tait Lane and Shoolay Circle signal is very less. Lots of vehicles take right from Richmond Road into Brigade Road, and similarly, lots of vehicles take right from Brigade Road into Richmond Road.

Now, you will have two merging streams of traffic between Tait Lane and the signal wanting to go in different directions - Richmond Road traffic trying to turn right and Brigade Road traffic trying to go straight.

Why don't they let people go all the way down Wood Street and take a free right into Richmond Road? That way, there is enought distance for streams of traffic to sort themselves out into appropriate lanes.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 13th July 2012 at 17:27.
Old 13th July 2012, 19:04   #3582
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
Came across this video of mimes controlling traffic and humiliating folks who do not obey signals.

We need something like that in Bangalore as well.

-- Wind
Fun to watch but not effective. As you can see even humiliation does not work for indifferent folks. The small SUV drove away in spite of the 'humiliation' when the light was still red.

The only effective deterrents for urban traffic offenders in most parts of the world - hefty fines. I suspect if there was a camera in the same intersection the driver would have patiently waited.

If the same scheme was tried in our cities the poor mime would not only be manhandled but potentially run over specially if the vehicle in question was owned by a gent with political connections.
Old 13th July 2012, 21:31   #3583
BHPian

Took me 2 hours from near BDA (HSR Layout) to Shivananda Cricle (Near Race course road) today evening between 6:45 and 8:45pm. The most irritating drive of my life probably! Maybe it was due to the sudden showers, traffic lights not working or just that it was the usual Friday evening traffic. I will literally fighting to make up space and fit into gaps all the way home.

Nice way to ruin the start to the weekend!
superutp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2012, 21:54   #3584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Exactly, I stopped using this strech in the evenings between 5.30 and 7.30pm. I prefer to wait it out at the Kundalhalli junction rather than fighting it out with these morons as seen in the photo above.
Old 13th July 2012, 23:03   #3585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
The only effective deterrents for urban traffic offenders in most parts of the world - hefty fines. I suspect if there was a camera in the same intersection the driver would have patiently waited.
Doesn't work. As psychological research has shown, imposing fines only legitimizes in the mind of the offender the offense he is about to commit. In India for example, instead of "I shouldn't jump that signal", it becomes "it will cost me only Rs. 500 to jump that signal" and then it is merely a question of affordability or cost-vs-benefit - the moral aspect goes out of the window.

In my view, the only thing that would work is on-the-spot detention. If the offending vehicles along with driver and passengers are detained by the cops for a good 3-4 hours, we might see some improvement in the behaviour of the drivers. The key is to detain the passengers as well (ie, J. Random CEO should not be allowed to leave his driver to face the music alone). Unfortunately, even this has logistic issues.

Last edited by binand : 13th July 2012 at 23:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks