Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:40   #3901
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

A word of appreciation for Bangalore's traffic cops. I was at Commercial street and people who are regulars here know how difficult it is to walk along the footpath since the place is alwayscramped. One lane for car parking, one way traffic , hawkers use up the footpath and above all 2 wheelers parked on the footpath.

I was doing the porters job for my better half and trudging along. On reaching Wearhouse I found a few bikes parked on the footpath making it impossible to walk here. I look ahead and see lady carrying a baby and walking towards us from the opposite direction and since the bikes were parked she also moved to the road.

Now an imbecile in his car honks incessantly at this lady carrying the child to give him way and I was at loss at words looking at the child's reaction to the loud honk. The poor thing was shivering with the intensity of the sound and instantly started weeping.
My better half stopped the car in its path and gave the driver a mouthful. I simply walked up to two traffic cops who were standing a few meters from where this happened and asked them how do people use the footpath if the cops allowed parking bikes.

Never expected this kind of a reaction from our lazy cops, these cops(maybe in their early 30's) called their tow truck. In less than 5 minutes the truck was there and they cleared the footpath of the bikes.Such things don't happen on a daily basis here, kinda caught me off-guard coz the usual response is " we will look into it". I thanked the cops and walked away smiling.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 3rd December 2012 at 11:48.
rjstyles69 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 11:40   #3902
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Is it true that after 3 ticketed offences, a driver's licence is revoked? Even if all three fines have been promptly paid off?
It is a bit vague. Three parking offences does not warrant a revoked licence. They need to categorise based on severity. Abroad, the offences are categorised and a points system is awarded.

in the UK, get 12 points over 3 years and you lose your licence. The points are valid for three years and lapse after that.

Note if you pay fine on line at BTP, no licence details are asked for.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:08   #3903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It is a bit vague. Three parking offences does not warrant a revoked licence. They need to categorise based on severity.
The 3 offences in question are registered against the registered owner of the vehicle, and not the one driving. All 3 are "Signal jumping", not parking offences. I think signal jumping includes stopping beyond the white line at a signal, because I was the driver during one so-called offence, and have absolutely no recollection of jumping a light. Maybe I overshot a white line though.

So is Signal Jumping a severe offence? And how does one know whether their licence stands revoked?
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:13   #3904
BHPian

I happened to be in Delhi for last 3 days and every moment I enjoyed the road. I knew the infrastructure is light years ahead of Bangalore but what surprised me is that I never saw a single car parked on the roads there by congesting the traffic. The lane discipline was decent too. I could not stop comparing it with the condition out here in our own garden city. Trucks and heavy vehicles are mostly not allowed in the city roads and driving was a pleasure in most of the East Delhi and Noida roads. You need to give credits to the civic authorities for their cleanliness. I never saw incidents of anyone overtaking me rashly, honking was very minimal when we compare with Bangalore.

Every big traffic guy, politician does visit Delhi once or twice but what they are learning ? If a lay common man like me can see hundred good things that can be implemented here in Bangalore then why they can not ? Is it just the infrastructure or lack of will or something else ?
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:18   #3905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The 3 offences in question are registered against the registered owner of the vehicle, and not the one driving. All 3 are "Signal jumping", not parking offences. I think signal jumping includes stopping beyond the white line at a signal, because I was the driver during one so-called offence, and have absolutely no recollection of jumping a light. Maybe I overshot a white line though.

So is Signal Jumping a severe offence? And how does one know whether their licence stands revoked?
The BTP does not ask for the licence number for Online payment of offences. I doubt if license is revoked for repeat offences. I have heard that for drunk driving where it is a court fine, it is possible to suspend licenses for repeat offences.

Dont think they classify Signal jumping or stopping on Zebra line a grave offence as drunk driving.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:22   #3906
Senior - BHPian

the traffic was gridlocked on Hosur road this morning, backing up all the way from BETL ramp (towards EC) to the Silkboard flyover and beyond! spent 30mins in the jam!

reason - people who want to go below the BETL come on to the rightmost lane and then try to cut across to the left!!! trucks, BMTC and what not!!

aaaggrrhh!
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:28   #3907
BHPian

Quote:
And how does one know whether their licence stands revoked?
I'm not sure about what leads to a DL revocation; but I don't think they can do it when the original DL is still with you. Alternatively, you could have it verified by a TP who's got a black berry with him.
Old 3rd December 2012, 12:57   #3908
BHPian

After moving from Pune, its been 4 months in Bangalore. I must say the roads are Pathetic over here. The internal roads are non-existent! Most of them are made out of clay and stones. Cant believe a state capital can have such bad internal roads. Seems the municipal body has just ignored that people need good roads internally as well!
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:15   #3909
Senior - BHPian

Had a real close shave this morning! I was at the Ejipura crossing on the Inner Ring Road and had just started from the signal (so accelerating) when suddenly a scooterwala in front fall down! There was just enough time to apply breaks and bring the car to a halt! Its not clear how he fall down. But still thankfully nothing bad happened. It was lucky also that nobody bumped me front behind!
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:20   #3910
BHPian

Of late I haven't seen any work on the surfacing of the roads either. Earlier the excuse was the rains and that they didn't want to do any work in that season. But this time the rains have come and gone for the most part but no improvement work is happening. At many spots that traffic slows down to a crawl and contributes to traffic pile ups. And it's extremely hazardous for two wheelers. My Laura has developed a creaking sound from the glove compartment area :(
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:20   #3911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunt View Post
Of late I haven't seen any work on the surfacing of the roads either. Earlier the excuse was the rains and that they didn't want to do any work in that season. But this time the rains have come and gone for the most part but no improvement work is happening. At many spots that traffic slows down to a crawl and contributes to traffic pile ups. And it's extremely hazardous for two wheelers. My Laura has developed a creaking sound from the glove compartment area :(
We don't have to go too far when we want a bit of off roading experience in Bangalore. Must be why SUV sales are going up.
Old 3rd December 2012, 14:27   #3912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
. I must say the roads are Pathetic over here. The internal roads are non-existent! Most of them are made out of clay and stones. Cant believe a state capital can have such bad internal roads. Seems the municipal body has just ignored that people need good roads internally as well!
I second you're thoughts! Forget "Internal" roads, even the Main roads in Bangalore are rubbish now a days.

The road connecting Koramangala 1st Block to Agara/Outer Ring Road Junction is horrible to say the least.

For a city that pays the highest road tax in the country, we deserve better.

OT : A city in Russia found an innovative way to fix their city roads. Here's how it went

speed kills is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:53   #3913
BHPian

Re: Sarjapura - Marathahalli ORR

Today, the Intel flyover was opened for traffic towards bellandur side (while the other side was already open quite a while ago) - and the one opposite to Ecospace in bellandur, looks to be ready soon. But what is not clear though is how the access will be provided to Eco Space or other campuses, which are now cutting across the main roads coming from the flyover ramps. Any idea what to expect...
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:17   #3914
Senior - BHPian

I am tired of seeing the traffic piling up on the 60 feet (? GK Vale, Anand Sweets) road in Koramangala - all due to cars double parking etc. This is a 1-way road going down and even a few months back, it was just specific sections on the left-hand side for car parking and a small section for bikes. Nowadays, cars just park on the right-hand side of the road too - for long periods of time. This gives less space for traffic to flow and some cars even park beside the parked bikes! It is so bad that sometimes cars are parked in the bike parking section!

I understand that the traffic cops tow away bikes parked in no parking zones but it sad to see that they do nothing about cars. I would love to see at least 10 cars towed away from that zone. It will teach a lesson to the people who park with impunity.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:54   #3915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I am tired of seeing the traffic piling up on the 60 feet (? GK Vale, Anand Sweets) road in Koramangala - all due to cars double parking etc. This is a 1-way road going down and even a few months back, it was just specific sections on the left-hand side for car parking and a small section for bikes. Nowadays, cars just park on the right-hand side of the road too - for long periods of time. This gives less space for traffic to flow and some cars even park beside the parked bikes! It is so bad that sometimes cars are parked in the bike parking section!

I understand that the traffic cops tow away bikes parked in no parking zones but it sad to see that they do nothing about cars. I would love to see at least 10 cars towed away from that zone. It will teach a lesson to the people who park with impunity.
This is turning pathetic by the day. People coming in to eat at Anand Sweets simply park in front of Anand sweets. And if questioned - talk the "I own the road" language. I think the businesses have greased the palms so much that the cops can't get into their act.

And people - Insensitivity is rampant. May be the medical fraternity comes up with new facility that treats insensitivity as well.

For sometime I have been watching haplessly people honking and tried to wonder why do they honk/what way will it give them any way. I have even questioned one politely with a smile - Sir what happened (when he was beside me with the traffic light still red, the counter reading down from 8 seconds and he was honking incessantly) - His answer - Sir the people in front will get ready to move else they will stay put there and the light would turn red again. (And I was thinking - Do people tend to fall asleep in tight traffic conditions?)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks