Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 15:04   #3961
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Manu, this is more of an issue owing to lesser number of cops with respect to the overall traffic populace. In developed countries, even if the number of cops are less there is a traffic system which takes away such manual tasks, giving the cops a chance to keep tabs on traffic offences.

Even in this case, if there was an inspector along with this cop manning the junction, this chap "may" have gotten a traffic ticket. I see this quite often at the EPIP junction, Whitefield where an additional cop alongside ensures traffic offenders are caught, while one mans the traffic.
You are right. One classic example is the Vellara Junction signal. There is NO right turn and u turn towards Richmond road if you are coming from brigade road. Every day I see vehicles waiting for the Right turn, under the NO Right turn board, with a cop standing right under the umbrella. Some manage to squeeze through if the opposite traffic is scarce , some realize and move on. The cop is always very hesitant to act. He keeps looking and doesnt move.
Old 10th December 2012, 15:07   #3962
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Beg to differ. In my experience, whenever there is a traffic jam at a junction it generally is because of traffic cops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
That is a very generalized statement. I can see in several places how cops help quite a bit.
Agreed that it's a very generalized statement, but it has to do something with the human nature. Atleast on Bannerghatta road, where I've been driving daily for the past 8 years, I can easily tell if a signal is working or if a traffic cop is managing the traffic or neither, just by seeing the traffic pattern. The best flow of traffic is when the signal is working and the worst will be when a cop is managing the traffic.
When a cop is managing the flow of traffic, he usually waits till the last vehicle of that lane passes before he opens up another lane. This is something which I've noticed as a common human behaviour. But for a signal, it does not have this sentiments. So, the timing is well managed as everybody gets a fair chance of moving ahead.
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 15:55   #3963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Yes. You can either go via Karmelaram road (take left just before railway crossing) or via Kodathi (take left about 1.5 km after railway crossing) to reach Forum Value Mall. In the mornings, I usually take the latter route.

By the way, is there a Greenwood High near Forum Value mall? If you are referring to the Greenwood High school on the road from Dommasandra to Varthur (where Inventure Academy, TISB and Oakridge also are), the best way would be continuing all the way to Dommasandra on Sarjapur road and taking left. This junction would be exactly 5 km from the railway crossing.
Thanks. Yes i got confused intially by Google Maps but later worked it out.
Old 10th December 2012, 16:26   #3964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Agreed that it's a very generalized statement, but it has to do something with the human nature. Atleast on Bannerghatta road, where I've been driving daily for the past 8 years, I can easily tell if a signal is working or if a traffic cop is managing the traffic or neither, just by seeing the traffic pattern. The best flow of traffic is when the signal is working and the worst will be when a cop is managing the traffic.
When a cop is managing the flow of traffic, he usually waits till the last vehicle of that lane passes before he opens up another lane. This is something which I've noticed as a common human behaviour. But for a signal, it does not have this sentiments. So, the timing is well managed as everybody gets a fair chance of moving ahead.
Most of the times its because the cop's turn to manual control seeing some problem upstream or downstream or in the adjacent roads joining into main roads.

I also see that the traffic is much smoother with the traffic lights switched off (or blinking amber)! It only means that the traffic is less and doesn't mean that lack of traffic light makes it smoother
Old 10th December 2012, 16:34   #3965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I see this quite often at the EPIP junction, Whitefield where an additional cop alongside ensures traffic offenders are caught, while one mans the traffic.
Right, also there is some rule that only a cop of certain rank & above can issue a ticket. This rule has to be followed in current setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The best flow of traffic is when the signal is working and the worst will be when a cop is managing the traffic.
Even when the signal is working, a cop or a traffic sergeant is stationed to stop people after the light turn red.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:56   #3966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
I also see that the traffic is much smoother with the traffic lights switched off (or blinking amber)! It only means that the traffic is less and doesn't mean that lack of traffic light makes it smoother
I was not talking about off-peak hours or when the amber is blinking. I was talking about peak hours when I considered all the 3 situations. For example, when I cross silk-board junction in the evening at around 17:00, towards BTM from ORR, it takes 2 signals or a maximum of 3. One day, there was a horrible jam and vehicles were moving at snails pace. It took me around 45 minutes to reach the head of the queue and what I see is this. The road towards BTM, after the signal is empty. The road leading to the signal from BTM side is having sparse traffic. Still, none of the other lanes are allowed to move and every car, scooter and even bicycle from that lane is let to pass. All this is happening when other lanes have waiting traffic and huge queues. He was only interested in clearing one single lane till the last vehicle is out of it. People from all the other lanes started honking by seeing this ridiculous thins and finally he started letting other lanes go. Believe me, there was no problem in any of the roads and it was the basic human tendency I was talking about, working there. Just let this one also go! And when the traffic lights are not working, I've seen the local auto-wallahs doing a better job of managing the traffic. (Maybe they are better aware of the traffic conditions of the area.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Even when the signal is working, a cop or a traffic sergeant is stationed to stop people after the light turn red.
That is right, but the timing is not controlled by a human being. What I mean is, the signal does not wait until the very last vehicle moves out of the lane. It changes when the time-out happens. When the signal is ON, the problem that I mentioned above does not happen.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:59   #3967
Senior - BHPian

I'd gone to Chennai in the weekend and I have a new found appreciation for Bangalore traffic now! It was traumatic just watching the traffic in Chennai.
Old 10th December 2012, 22:51   #3968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy
I'd gone to Chennai in the weekend and I have a new found appreciation for Bangalore traffic now! It was traumatic just watching the traffic in Chennai.
So you mean to say Bangalore traffic is not traumatic? I think traffic through out India is traumatic. I have seen lorry's, cars and even bulldozers coming on the wrong direction that too on a busy road in Bangalore. Usually none would appreciate these kind of scenes anywhere.
sabsubs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 22:55   #3969
Senior - BHPian

I think most big cities are capable of giving traffic nightmares in their own flavor. From Bangalore's manic cabs to Chennai's three wheelers to Pune's two wheeled devil to Delhi's party-flag bearing goons.

The thing is, you get used to it to some extent. So, when you visit another city for a short while, that city's flavor of nightmares is new and thus seems more scary than your own city.

But the fact remains that you are not better off anywhere
amitoj is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 22:59   #3970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
So you mean to say Bangalore traffic is not traumatic? I think traffic through out India is traumatic. I have seen lorry's, cars and even bulldozers coming on the wrong direction that too on a busy road in Bangalore. Usually none would appreciate these kind of scenes anywhere.
Totally agree. It is traumatic in its own way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

The thing is, you get used to it to some extent. So, when you visit another city for a short while, that city's flavor of nightmares is new and thus seems more scary than your own city.

And this probably is the explanation. We've got used to traffic in Bangalore and that short time in Chennai showed me a different type of lousy traffic.

On another note - I remember Chennai cops being very strict in the past. They never would even tolerate signal jumping or line crossing. Now, it is the norm!
Old 10th December 2012, 23:01   #3971
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

You must be thanking your stars that you don't have to drive in Bangalore anymore. On Bannerghatta-Road no less!

The other day, I'd taken B'ghatta road towards Dairy Circle and I was ready to unfold my white hanky and tie it to the car's antenna!
Old 10th December 2012, 23:05   #3972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You must be thanking your stars that you don't have to drive in Bangalore anymore. On Bannerghatta-Road no less!

The other day, I'd taken B'ghatta road towards Dairy Circle and I was ready to unfold my white hanky and tie it to the car's antenna!
LOL. Hey that road taught me a lot of life lessons that i will always be grateful for!

And you went only till Dairy Circle? You should have gone till Meenakshi Mall and you would have been surprised by the kind of person you become. Think Jekyll and Hyde, or Bruce Banner.
amitoj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 09:24   #3973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
If you think that traffic in India is traumatic take a look at this.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/20...paign=20121210

-- Wind
Old 11th December 2012, 10:12   #3974
BHPian

There's a new crater created by BBMP on KH(double) road 50m after the lights when you go past Shantinagar bus stand from Lalbagh. It's deep and big enough to cause damage.

Anyone notice the orange ferrari that came up from KH road towards Lalbagh at ~ 9.30 AM ?
Old 11th December 2012, 10:45   #3975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Anyone notice the orange ferrari that came up from KH road towards Lalbagh at ~ 9.30 AM ?
You sure it was a Ferrari? I've seen a orange Lamborghini on that stretch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks