Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2012, 08:30   #4006
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
I saw a school bus belonging to greenwood school driven rash today noon near HSR. I tried calling their school nos, but got no response. I was petrified and agitated seeing how the driver was zipping through the traffic that I came back to office and wrote a detailed mail to the principal.
Mannu, for added proof, here is a pic i had clicked some time ago at the railway cross on Sarjapur road. The bus in question is from Greenwood High, although the number is not visible. Please feel free to forward this to the school authorities in your followup.

The date is 9th October, 2012, time : 08:38 AM.

While the rest of the populace including some of the commercial vehicles stood in line in pouring rain waiting for the gate to open, this super smart dude drove up the wrong side of the road to get ahead and create a block at the crossing.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20121009-08.38.53-copy.jpg

P.S. : I can send across a higher-resolution pic too if needed.
Old 19th December 2012, 08:38   #4007
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

I doubt if the receptionist would connect our calls or if letters addressed to the principal actually make it to the principal. I don't want to assume but heavy traffic, lack of time and not wanting to be late for classes are some of the excuses/reasons one would be told when they complain about the indiscipline of school bus drivers.
Old 19th December 2012, 08:54   #4008
BHPian

Anyone here interested in meeting the traffic police commissioner Mr MA Saleem and discuss what we see on roads everyday? We could also get a chance to visit the city traffic monitoring system.
Old 19th December 2012, 12:55   #4009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Mannu, for added proof, here is a pic i had clicked some time ago at the railway cross on Sarjapur road.

Thank You Ben. I have sent a mail to the school's principal with this photo. Sadly, I have no acknowledgement of my first mail nor a revert on the many unanswered calls on their mobile numbers. I'm sure, i wont recommend that school to anyone. They charge a mighty 2lac plus as annual fees, and this is the sensitivity they have for a serious cause ! I'm appalled to say the least

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I doubt if the receptionist would connect our calls or if letters addressed to the principal actually make it to the principal. I don't want to assume but heavy traffic, lack of time and not wanting to be late for classes are some of the excuses/reasons one would be told when they complain about the indiscipline of school bus drivers.
There are no excuses to what I saw on the road, nor to the snap ben took. Its a school bus and not an ambulance, and there is no emergency in school more important than the safety of the kids in that bus.

Reg the calls, NO ONE lifted the phones. The same nos given in the bus . I then took the pain of opening their website to find additional number, and called up on all the numbers mentioned there. All mobile numbers rang, no one picked, and no one called me back on the unanswered calls.

Reg the mail, i dont know if it is read by the principal or his secretary. Who ever reads it can understand the seriousness of that mail. I hope !
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 17:38   #4010
Team-BHP Support

I want to bring to the attention of the traffic police one particular intersection on Marathahalli bridge, but I quit facebook recently and have no access to the BTP page anymore.

When we want to go towards Whitefield from ORR (Innovative multiplex), we drive all the way till E-zone, take a U turn and drive back all the way till the bridge. We take the narrow left turn to reach the bridge intersection.

Here's a link to the map, to show what I'm talking about
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...sz=15&t=m&z=18

Problem 1 : The stretch from A to B ought to be a one-way. On more than 1 occasion, I have seen cars coming from B to A, creating traffic jams along the whole stretch.

Problem 2: There used to be a signal at the point B where we used to turn into the bridge. That signal is always switched off nowadays, not sure why.

Result in the morning peak hour : traffic turning left has to go through a dogfight to be able to get into the traffic coming from HAL direction (on the bridge), read as mindless wrestling with buses and trucks. To add to the chaos, the bmtc buses stop right at point B due to some senseless drivers and senseless bus-stop planners. Today morning, I saw an Alto K10 getting sandwiched between a bus trying to turn left, and another bus going straight on the bridge. The helpless car suffered a damaged fender and bumper due to those morons.

I'll need to find a way to post this (merging traffic chaos) problem on the facebook BTP page. All they need to do is repair that signal and save headache for traffic from both directions.

Last edited by KarthikK : 19th December 2012 at 18:01.
Old 19th December 2012, 18:07   #4011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Problem 1 : The stretch from A to B ought to be a one-way. On more than 1 occasion, I have seen cars coming from B to A, creating traffic jams along the whole stretch.

Problem 2: There used to be a signal at the point B where we used to turn into the bridge. That signal is always switched off nowadays, not sure why.
Have you tried this variation?

Alternately, there is the road via the Chinnappanahalli Gate that joins Varthur Road at the other end of the railway overbridge. I generally avoid Marathahalli bridge at all times unless I have to go from HAL side to Whitefield side; there are useful "bypasses" in all other cases.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2012, 18:12   #4012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Anyone here interested in meeting the traffic police commissioner Mr MA Saleem and discuss what we see on roads everyday? We could also get a chance to visit the city traffic monitoring system.
Can we do it over this weekend.?I would love to see the traffic monitoring system.
Old 19th December 2012, 23:55   #4013
Distinguished - BHPian

I would be interested, but currently I have my exams going on. I wouldn't mind working in the TMC for a day for free, if they would let me to. We could spot some offenders for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post

Last edited by audioholic : 19th December 2012 at 23:57.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:06   #4014
BHPian

Had a chance to spend a few minutes with a traffic cop today when he was trying to have cars that were parked on the footpath removed.

Often, owners of cars that have been clamped, have them removed or broken, and drive away without the notice of the cops. Sadly, BTP are only allowed to charge them Rs. 100 for having damaged public/BTP property. Unfortunately, Rs. 100 is not enough to buy another clamp and they often have to run their show without them.

The Rs. 100 challans barely makes a dent on road users and doesn't deter them from doing it again. Apparently, there is no system in place to stop known and regular violators.

About 30 minutes ago, I noticed an i10 user speaking in a very harsh tone with a BTP officer. Apparently, he was not happy about having his car that was parked on a footpath; photographed. Unfortunate for him, his luck ran ou when a tow truck with a starred cop in it came by.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:19   #4015
BHPian

Quote:
The Rs. 100 challans barely makes a dent on road users and doesn't deter them from doing it again.
The minimum must be increased to at least Rs. 500, if not Rs. 1000, for any violation.

There are ways to handle the Bangalore traffic, but what is lacking is the will to act.

To act, first you need a strong and determined Government.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:31   #4016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
The minimum must be increased to at least Rs. 500, if not Rs. 1000, for any violation.
The Swiss TP, decide the fine amount based on the violators income. This will fit so well in India.

Quote:
When his case is judged by a magistrate the fine will be based on his income and the 'extraordinary speed' at which he was travelling. He is threatened with the highest possible penalty of 300 days of fines at 3,600 Swiss francs a day which comes out to close to 650,000 euros. In Switzerland and Germany it is common for fines to be levied in such a way. In Switzerland the level of the fine is always dependant on a person‘s income - and clearly the suspect in this speeding affair is very rich indeed.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:33   #4017
BHPian

Quote:
Or introducing a points-based system like in many other countries, where your licence is revoked if you exceed a certain number of offences/points. But then do something to hunt down licenceless motorists. I wonder how many of them are on the road right now!
Old 21st December 2012, 12:41   #4018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Or introducing a points-based system like in many other countries, where your licence is revoked if you exceed a certain number of offences/points. But then do something to hunt down licenceless motorists. I wonder how many of them are on the road right now!
All they have to do is link Insurance, DL and Registration a.k.a Number Plate recognition camera(like in most developed countries). Anyone with too many violations should have their insurance automatically revoked.

20 years from now, may be.
Old 21st December 2012, 12:43   #4019
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Or introducing a points-based system like in many other countries, where your licence is revoked if you exceed a certain number of offences/points.
Quote:
The Swiss TP, decide the fine amount based on the violators income. This will fit so well in India.
Book-keeping is a big problem in India (keeping track of records or historical data).

Again, our "destructively creative" Indian drivers will find ways to show that their annual income is lower than BPL.

What might work is also to fix the minimum fine as a percentage (however small that may be) of the ex-showroom price of the offending vehicle - subject to a minimum of Rs. 500/--

But, in my opinion none of this will work as long as as traffic regulation remains in the hands of the state governments. We urgently need a Central Authority (something like EC or SEBI) - one might call it the "Traffic Regulatory Authority of India" - that is responsible for framing the traffic (and violation) policy and enforcing it across India uniformly - backed by technology that can track vehicles all over India.

But this may never happen because once that happens you can as well imagine the plight of state governments Their "source" of income will be lost and without telling that openly, they will say that this measure goes "against the federal structure of the Indian Constitution".
Old 24th December 2012, 21:35   #4020
BHPian

Quote:

Book-keeping is a big problem in India (keeping track of records or historical data).

Again, our "destructively creative" Indian drivers will find ways to show that their annual income is lower than BPL.

What might work is also to fix the minimum fine as a percentage (however small that may be) of the ex-showroom price of the offending vehicle - subject to a minimum of Rs. 500/--

But, in my opinion none of this will work as long as as traffic regulation remains in the hands of the state governments. We urgently need a Central Authority (something like EC or SEBI) - one might call it the "Traffic Regulatory Authority of India" - that is responsible for framing the traffic (and violation) policy and enforcing it across India uniformly - backed by technology that can track vehicles all over India.

But this may never happen because once that happens you can as well imagine the plight of state governments Their "source" of income will be lost and without telling that openly, they will say that this measure goes "against the federal structure of the Indian Constitution".
Although book keeping is a big issue it is not insurmountable in my opinion. Each state should require permanent residents in the state to acquire licenses from that state. This will make it easy to track the offenses against individual licenses. The traffic police in Bangalore have the ability to track offenses and pull up a list via their blackberries, so this should be easy enough to implement. A lot of people will need simply need to get new licenses issued and the state can facilitate that by setting up the rto's to handle the volume.

Wishful thinking? Sure it is, but I don't see any other way of enforcing traffic rules with a deterrent that is strong enough.

Most Viewed