Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 20:08   #4021
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarunt View Post
Although book keeping is a big issue it is not insurmountable in my opinion. ....
Wishful thinking? Sure it is, but I don't see any other way of enforcing traffic rules with a deterrent that is strong enough.
Totally agree on this, this should be a simple thing to implement especially compared the complexity of the paper to electronic transition done in the financial world by NSDL, IT department, Banks & other institutions.

The identification of vehicles(Vahaan already is getting there) and drivers should be on a pan India basis, while enforcement can happen at the state level.
Old 25th December 2012, 20:17   #4022
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
The minimum must be increased to at least Rs. 500, if not Rs. 1000, for any violation.
This, while sensible, might not be practical. When the fine is Rs. 100, people pay and move on. When it is Rs. 1000, what will the people who cannot afford it, do? The traffic enforcing authority needs to be prepared to handle people who (a) will abandon their vehicles, and/or (b) might want to go to jail in lieu of paying the fine.

Even then, I think this is the best administrative solution that can curb the menace on Indian roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
The Swiss TP, decide the fine amount based on the violators income. This will fit so well in India.
Heh. In a nation where less than 3% of the population declares income, how will this work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
We urgently need a Central Authority (something like EC or SEBI) - one might call it the "Traffic Regulatory Authority of India"

But this may never happen because state governments will say that this measure goes "against the federal structure of the Indian Constitution".
Correct. This will not happen as road traffic management is in the state list and the union government cannot legally legislate changes there. Even if ALL the state governments somehow agree to do this, any citizen of India will be easily able to overturn such an authority by way of a PIL.

Quote:
Each state should require permanent residents in the state to acquire licenses from that state.
Such a law is almost certain to be challenged as it is clearly in violation of article 19 of the Constitution.
Old 27th December 2012, 18:35   #4023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

Such a law is almost certain to be challenged as it is clearly in violation of article 19 of the Constitution.
Article 19 also provides the states freedom to pass legislation that is in the general interests of the public. When Karnataka can enforce the road tax rule for out of state vehicles it should be able to require people to get a license from here as well. It's not dissimilar from what a lot of the states in the US follow. It would just make the tracking and implementation of penalties much more workable.
Old 28th December 2012, 08:28   #4024
BHPian

Every fifth Bangalorean has a four-wheeler: Census

Quote:
The number of households owning four-wheelers in Bangalore Urban district has grown from 10% in 2001 to 18.5% in 2011 — or every fifth Bangaloreans owns a four-wheeler . The corresponding jump in urban areas in the rest of the state is from 6.3% to 11.9%.

This was part of the statistics accessed during a two-day workshop on disseminating the Census 2011 data that concluded on Thursday. Two-wheelers, however, continue to rule city roads. The number of households with two-wheelers in the Bangalore Urban district has risen from 32.8% to 44.3% over the decade . The number of households with two-wheelers in urban Karnataka went up from 27.9% to 38.5%.
We should consider using private transport only when necessary and public transport the rest of the time. Be a part of the solution rather than the problem.

Last edited by vinu_h : 28th December 2012 at 08:29.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 09:18   #4025
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
We should consider using private transport only when necessary and public transport the rest of the time. Be a part of the solution rather than the problem.
I would gladly do so, if only I had an acceptable quality of "last mile" connectivity near my home. This lack of last mile, is the single biggest deterrent for me.
I shall need to walk 2 km or so on badly surfaced roads which have no pedestrian sidewalk, braving all manner of things like an excessively pollution ridden atmosphere, idiot motorbikes, autos and rashly driven cars, while lugging my office bag to get home. I just dont feel like going through the above.
Why, much as I love cycling, I can no longer cycle peacefully in my neighbourhood, the roads are so broken and horrid!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 10:02   #4026
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would gladly do so, if only I had an acceptable quality of "last mile" connectivity near my home. This lack of last mile, is the single biggest deterrent for me.
Car pooling is one other thing we could try. A fresh pitch for carpooling
Old 28th December 2012, 10:27   #4027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When Karnataka can enforce the road tax rule for out of state vehicles it should be able to require people to get a license from here as well.
If it is just replacing a license, I suppose it can be done (as opposed to forcing the chap to go through the process of getting a license, including learner's/test/medical etc.). But I can't see the point. They (BTP) can enforce whatever rules even now - I have an AP license, and have been stopped by BTP twice. The second guy knew about my first stop/fine.

(also, Indian federal structure and that of the US are not comparable).

Quote:
Car pooling is one other thing we could try.
Might not work for the IT industry, where everyone leaves for/from office at a different time.
Old 28th December 2012, 10:42   #4028
BHPian

Quote:
Might not work for the IT industry, where everyone leaves for/from office at a different time.
Everyone ? A majority of the office goers work from to 9 to 6 or have fixed work hours. The many company cabs and buses are evidence of that.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:15   #4029
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Everyone ? A majority of the office goers work from to 9 to 6 or have fixed work hours. The many company cabs and buses are evidence of that.
In case of company cab, if you miss one, there might be another one leaving after an hour or so. While if you car pool, one guy would end up waiting.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:20   #4030
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Which is, in a way, utilizing carpooling/public transport. Also, couple of points:

1. I don't know the breakup, but I imagine a significant portion of IT workforce in Bangalore don't work for the big companies that provide these options. Are there many companies with staff strengths in the range 50-500 that provide cabs?

2. The 9-6 crowd also spend extra time at work when deadlines loom. I don't think, outside of BPOs, there is any IT/ITES firm that can guarantee a 9-6 workday throughout the year.

Anyway, for carpooling to work it needs to be incentivized. One option tried in the western world is to have dedicated fast-moving lanes for pooled cars - which cannot work in Bangalore, where lane discipline/enforcement is non-existent :-)

Edit: Came across this study recommending carpooling for Delhi - http://www.engineeringletters.com/is...EL_14_1_12.pdf. The incentives mentioned in the last page of this document could be tried, but it needs significant participation from the various employers.

Last edited by binand : 28th December 2012 at 11:27.
Old 28th December 2012, 11:37   #4031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
In case of company cab, if you miss one, there might be another one leaving after an hour or so. While if you car pool, one guy would end up waiting.
[Efficient] Public Transport --> Company Cab / Bus --> Private Transport [Not so much]

Company cabs and buses are a kind of public transport. They are usually packed to capacity(70%+), which is a more efficient use of the road space than if they drove/rode themselves to work.

Quote:
The 9-6 crowd also spend extra time at work when deadlines loom. I don't think, outside of BPOs, there is any IT/ITES firm that can guarantee a 9-6 workday throughout the year
It's not a perfect system. It should be, but it's not. Reminds me of what Tata once said in an interview
Quote:
In India, “if you are in a crisis, if it means working to midnight, you would do it,” Ratan Tata said.
Old 28th December 2012, 13:48   #4032
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I car pool daily with my wife - dropping her to work and then getting to my office and likewise, the reverse on the return journey.
I cannot car pool with my colleagues who live close by because their timings are totally different from mine almost as if "never the twain shall meet", so that is out of the question.

Quote:
Car pooling is one other thing we could try. A fresh pitch for carpooling
Old 28th December 2012, 16:41   #4033
BHPian

Hey guys, I have complained to BTP about ignorance of interceptor vehicles to book lane violations. I have complained before also but they have not bothered. Please pitch in on Facebook and demand a reply. A sizable presence will at least demand a detailed reply from them.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...51378161006257
Old 28th December 2012, 18:23   #4034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Hey guys, I have complained to BTP about ignorance of interceptor vehicles to book lane violations.
A friend of mine was just booked at airport road last week for a lane violation, by an interceptor. Spot fine collected - of Rs. 100.
Old 28th December 2012, 18:35   #4035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwiz1 View Post

A friend of mine was just booked at airport road last week for a lane violation, by an interceptor. Spot fine collected - of Rs. 100.
Yes they book personal vehicles but ignore heavy vehicles. Refer the photo in my fb post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks