Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2013, 07:16   #4066
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
Great News. This was the only bottleneck remaining, ORR has improved a lot in past 6-8 months , the earstwhile pathetic jams are nonexistant most of the time now. To improve, pedestrian bridges are important, as ppl crossing the roads in the busy hours pose a threat to the traffic and the service roads need to improve as lot of wrong side moving traffic can be seen at office hours.

That should make ORR what it was supposed to be.
I was in Hyderabad over the weekend, and had the chance to drive on the ORR there. That one is a beautiful piece of infrastructure - wide (8 - 10 lanes with hard shoulder), completely access controlled, signal free bidirectional exits to radial roads into and out of the city and generally smooth flowing.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 08:17   #4067
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Good news for ORR users between KR Puram and Silkboard! Bellandur flyover is opened for traffic finally! This was a long awaited one.
The news is only good for people staying in HSR layout / Koramangala and using ORR. For other people who have to cross Silk board signal, there is a massive accumulation of traffic from silk board all the way till the HSR BDA complex flyover junction (roughly 2 km) . I experienced this first-hand yesterday. Thanks to Bellandur flyover being opened, all ORR traffic now flows smoothly but gets stuck in a massive jam at silk board. Those dwelling in Jayanagar (including me), JP nagar and areas beyond silk board, good luck!

In other news, on my daily commute to ITPL, I have decided to cut down on travel time by avoiding ORR, kundalahalli and Graphite India junctions completely with this new route.
http://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr=...via=1&t=m&z=13

I use ORR only until Sarjapur junction, then go straight towards carmelaram railway, use the SH via Varthur to join ITPL from the other direction. What used to take me 2 hours previously (one way) now takes 1-1.5 hours. There are no signals, and the traffic is generally smooth flowing all the way till ITPL, barring a few intersections where there is some lane discipline chaos due to vehicles taking U turns.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th January 2013 at 08:23.
Old 16th January 2013, 23:23   #4068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

The news is only good for people staying in HSR layout / Koramangala and using ORR.
Yes that's very true , the travel time from office to home is just 10-15mins for me after the opening of the new flyover near ecospace .
I think the silk board jam from 5 to 7 is seriously bad and they should do something about it.
Will not be better if you take the diary circle route via koramangala to reach your home ? Or that is also equally jammed ?
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 23:30   #4069
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The news is only good for people staying in HSR layout / Koramangala and using ORR. For other people who have to cross Silk board signal, there is a massive accumulation of traffic from silk board all the way till the HSR BDA complex flyover junction (roughly 2 km) . I experienced this first-hand yesterday. Thanks to Bellandur flyover being opened, all ORR traffic now flows smoothly but gets stuck in a massive jam at silk board. Those dwelling in Jayanagar (including me), JP nagar and areas beyond silk board, good luck!

This is very true Karthik. The other solution if possible is to beat the traffic.
Try leaving by 4:30. Its virtually empty. You can reach home much faster and continue to work from home. (I am saying as if no one knows about this ! )

In Bangalore most working folks come late to office and go late. I dont know why they dont want to compromise on this aspect. Mostly when I ask this question,
the only answer is : "I have office work at this hour and hence its not possible"

Why not try go early and leave early. At least I have been following this option for ages and it works very well for me.
EDIT: And not to mention the good FE I get in the city!

Last edited by ampere : 16th January 2013 at 23:44.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 23:39   #4070
BHPian

Quote:

The news is only good for people staying in HSR layout / Koramangala and using ORR.
Just a suggestion. Why not try the St.johns-dairy circle-bannerghatta road-jaynagar route? I'm not sure if there will be a huge difference in distance, nor am I sure about the traffic scene in bannerghatta road. But agara to Christ college is manageable I feel.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 06:43   #4071
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
Just a suggestion. Why not try the St.johns-dairy circle-bannerghatta road-jaynagar route? I'm not sure if there will be a huge difference in distance, nor am I sure about the traffic scene in bannerghatta road. But agara to Christ college is manageable I feel.
Another alternative - From ORR instead of going all the way to Silk board junction via HSR, why not take Sarjapura road, Madiwala market and turn left onto Hosur Road. You can then make a right turn below the silkboard flyover to go towards BTM layout. However, I'm not sure about traffic conditions on this route during evenings.
Old 17th January 2013, 09:05   #4072
Senior - BHPian

Some satire - Footpath officially announced as the two-wheeler lane in Bangalore
Quote:
Bangalore. The footpaths across all the roads in Bangalore were today officially announced as the two-wheeler lane by the Bangalore traffic police in a bid to counter increasing jams happening all over the city.

“We noticed several times that people on bikes always preferred driving in the footpath even if the roads were free. Maybe they got into that habit while driving during peak traffic. But we thought it was a great idea,” said a traffic sergeant in the Basavangudi area.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 16:06   #4073
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
I think the silk board jam from 5 to 7 is seriously bad and they should do something about it.
I don't know if they can do anything about it . The road narrows down from 3 to 2 lanes when we enter BTM layout at silk board signal, everyone gets squeezed there at that point, so traffic cops are also forced to cut down on green signal duration to allow btm traffic to disperse. I have to find some alternate route to avoid this bottleneck I guess.

Quote:
Will not be better if you take the diary circle route via koramangala to reach your home ? Or that is also equally jammed ?
The last time I tried it, even that was taking time. The dairy circle stretch till Sagar apollo junction will be fully jammed due to Accenture / oracle cabs and buses joining traffic there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is very true Karthik. The other solution if possible is to beat the traffic.
Try leaving by 4:30. Its virtually empty. You can reach home much faster and continue to work from home. (I am saying as if no one knows about this ! )
Sadly, my present company doesn't have a WFH policy. I used to do this in my previous company where I had this flexibility. I would come at 7 and leave at 4. Sometimes, even the milkman wouldn't have arrived at office and I would be the very first vehicle in the campus *lol*.

Quote:
In Bangalore most working folks come late to office and go late. I dont know why they dont want to compromise on this aspect. Mostly when I ask this question,
the only answer is : "I have office work at this hour and hence its not possible"

Why not try go early and leave early. At least I have been following this option for ages and it works very well for me.
I am normally an 'early-to-bed, early-to-rise' person and would prefer going early and coming early. Problem you pointed out, lies with almost everyone in the corporate sector. The general scenario is that almost the entire team/company strength stays close to office (near Whitefield/Marathahalli areas) and they all come late to office by around 10.30 - 11. I don't know why. Perhaps it is the usual techie mentality to wake up late and start everything late. If we few employees (who stay far) come early and go early, say 8am to 5pm while the rest of them work 11am to 8pm, there is no time overlap with my teammates' work timings, plus we get dirty stares at 5pm as though we are slacking . This is the reason why everyone also 'joins' the same kind of timings to avoid undue attention for 'leaving early', even though we clock the same number of hours. *sigh* I have to admit though, that your words are absolutely right - early work hours have been the most productive too, apart from the advantage of lesser commute time.

Quote:
Agara - Christ college is not a problem at all. The problem is with Dairy circle - Sagar apollo signal, hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Another alternative - From ORR instead of going all the way to Silk board junction via HSR, why not take Sarjapura road, Madiwala market and turn left onto Hosur Road. You can then make a right turn below the silkboard flyover to go towards BTM layout. However, I'm not sure about traffic conditions on this route during evenings.
This is worth trying. I will give it a shot today evening, thanks.

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th January 2013 at 16:31.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2013, 18:11   #4074
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is worth trying. I will give it a shot today evening, thanks.
You still have the Sarjapur road-80 feet road Koramangala to tackle!
Thanks to the underpass construction, during peaks its chaotic with green times being very low.

On the "stare" part, its very true! However in many MNCs, people have become matured and started respecting.
other's requirements and constraints. Sadly its yet to mature in the rest IT industry.

Last edited by ampere : 17th January 2013 at 18:13.
Old 18th January 2013, 08:28   #4075
BHPian

I pass through Langford road everyday (in front of shantinagar hockey stadium) to join hosur road. I see no traffic coming from the hosur road end except for bmtc buses which HAVE TO come with their headlights on because vehicles on the opposite side occupy both lanes assuming it's a one way. Today I saw one car blocking the bmtc bus with an intent as he probably thought the bus is breaking a rule.

Now is this a one way? Why is there so much confusion with the traffic there?
Old 18th January 2013, 08:54   #4076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am normally an 'early-to-bed, early-to-rise' person and would prefer going early and coming early. Problem you pointed out, lies with almost everyone in the corporate sector. The general scenario is that almost the entire team/company strength stays close to office (near Whitefield/Marathahalli areas) and they all come late to office by around 10.30 - 11. I don't know why. Perhaps it is the usual techie mentality to wake up late and start everything late. If we few employees (who stay far) come early and go early, say 8am to 5pm while the rest of them work 11am to 8pm, there is no time overlap with my teammates' work timings, plus we get dirty stares at 5pm as though we are slacking . This is the reason why everyone also 'joins' the same kind of timings to avoid undue attention for 'leaving early', even though we clock the same number of hours. *sigh* I have to admit though, that your words are absolutely right - early work hours have been the most productive too, apart from the advantage of lesser commute time.

I am the same kind of person as you are and even i face the same problem at work. If i leave early,even though i have done my work, people look at me as if i have committed 9 murders and am going scott free. Seriously now i have stopped caring for such stares. Infact i even told my lead that i cant stay back late owing to the fact that i am a morning person and i have to commute a long distance ! The traffic at silk board is awful !
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 09:10   #4077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now is this a one way?
Thats a one-way, except for BMTC buses. I have seen just 1 bus route (Route 164) going that way. Never figured why that bus, going to Shivajinagar, has to go that way.
Old 18th January 2013, 13:01   #4078
BHPian

Krathik you and me are in the same boat the only difference is I stay in Whitefield and work near Dairy Circle
sam_boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 13:29   #4079
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You still have the Sarjapur road-80 feet road Koramangala to tackle!
Thanks to the underpass construction, during peaks its chaotic with green times being very low.
I noticed your reply too late . Got stuck for an hour between St. Johns and Sagar Apollo.

Quote:
On the "stare" part, its very true! However in many MNCs, people have become matured and started respecting.
other's requirements and constraints. Sadly its yet to mature in the rest IT industry.
Absolutely, 100% agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I am the same kind of person as you are and even i face the same problem at work. If i leave early,even though i have done my work, people look at me as if i have committed 9 murders and am going scott free. Seriously now i have stopped caring for such stares. Infact i even told my lead that i cant stay back late owing to the fact that i am a morning person and i have to commute a long distance ! The traffic at silk board is awful !
+1. I have also told my seniors here about my location, but sometimes we are forced to stay late when there is extra work, then we go home late, come late the next day, and so on.. the go late, come late routine slowly sets in

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Krathik you and me are in the same boat the only difference is I stay in Whitefield and work near Dairy Circle
Er.. can we swap jobs? Dairy circle is a stone's throw from my house *lol*
Old 18th January 2013, 15:00   #4080
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I noticed your reply too late . Got stuck for an hour between St. Johns and Sagar Apollo.
Karthik, another alternative is to take the road which leads to BTM taverekere from St John's signal. There is a narrow road which will join Bannerghatta road after Sagar Automobiles.
The distance is shorter as well. I have always used this road whenever I am travelling that way.

I have attached the directions for your reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-directions.jpg  

speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks