Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 17:38   #4186
Senior - BHPian

Re: Foot-Over Bridge in front of Ecospace, ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Is it just me, or anyone else who feels the immediate need to a foot-over bridge in front of Ecospace, ORR, B'lore ?
i've mixed feeling about this, them foot bridges i mean. not only in front of Ecospace, EGL, Hosur road, Koramangala etc. i used to think it will help people crossing the road and be safe for pedestrians, but it won't. i mean, it will, but only if its used! there is a foot bridge on the Indiranagar 100ft road, but i find pedestrians using is very rarely! they just jump/walk across traffic to cross!

its common sense, but looks like it don't compute for them!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 8th March 2013 at 17:43.
Old 8th March 2013, 17:41   #4187
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

The ORRCA guys have put a sign telling its a pedestrian crossing as soon as you get down from the flyover. The footbridge will a real long one and unless they fence the sides, I dont expect even the educated mass to use the bridge.
Old 8th March 2013, 17:54   #4188
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Foot over bridges don't work. It eventually turns into the temporary shelter for many and business place for hawkers!
People won't use the bridge/ underpass even if provided. The stretch after Bommanahalli junction where there is a underpass provides has become a haunted place and people as well as vehicles flood the place with no sense of discipline. Everyone honks!
Self discipline is the only hope and sadly that does not look to be coming soon to people in India. OTOH, people hesitate using the railway foot over bridges/ underpass in many parts, what is a road for them?
Old 8th March 2013, 17:56   #4189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Soumyajit

Added to that, the Bus stand is bang in middle. People cross roads to catch buses in the middle. Its a crazy place really. Its a shining example of moronic road planning.
I wonder how will the bus stop be managed between two flyovers which are so close to each other !! I guess, it would be similar to Agara flyover, where buses stop below the flyover. So people should walk upto Bellandur central or under the Intel flyover for the bus stop. Unless that is made stringent, some people would surely be run over. And, that would happen soon.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
i've mixed feeling about this, them foot bridges i mean. not only in front of Ecospace, EGL, Hosur road, Koramangala etc. i used to think it will help people crossing the road and be safe for pedestrians, but it won't. i mean, it will, but only if its used! there is a foot bridge on the Indiranagar 100ft road, but i find pedestrians using is very rarely! they just jump/walk across traffic to cross!

its common sense, but looks like it don't compute for them!
I agree bud, major spots (mostly IT hubs) should be provided with Footover bridges and High railings on the dividers, so that people simply can't jump over them. I have been to Indiranagar a few times and agree with the Domlur flyover situation. Irrespective of that FOB, people jump across. I would say, unless someone gets run over, no one gonna respect the FOB. We Indians, love to learn the hard way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
The ORRCA guys have put a sign telling its a pedestrian crossing as soon as you get down from the flyover. The footbridge will a real long one and unless they fence the sides, I don't expect even the educated mass to use the bridge.
If ORRCA has done that putting up of a board, I wish one of their members gets run over someday. I see a poor traffic police standing there and stopping vehicles zooming down the flyover, inorder to let pedestrians cross the road. Adds up to the jam on the flyover + feels bad for the poor soul. Hope he is not hit someday.

P.S: I have spoken harshly, but this point is getting on my nerves.
The ORRCA, if had brains should have written a formal application to BBMP (or whichever authority) to immediately construct a FOB, rather than put up a dumb signage that its a pedestrian crossing !!
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 13:12   #4190
Distinguished - BHPian

Gottigere Junction - Nice Road junction stretch is blocked. I think its due to a religious function. It took me 60 minutes(12:10PM -to 1:05PM) from NICE Road junction to Meenakshi Temple on the alternate road(Kamanahalli Road), there is a huge traffic jam in this road. Better to avoid this stretch till the main road is reopened.
Old 11th March 2013, 14:15   #4191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Gottigere Junction - Nice Road junction stretch is blocked. I think its due to a religious function. It took me 60 minutes(12:10PM -to 1:05PM) from NICE Road junction to Meenakshi Temple on the alternate road(Kamanahalli Road), there is a huge traffic jam in this road. Better to avoid this stretch till the main road is reopened.
There is a function related to Shivarathri being held in Gottigere. This is an annual thing.

It would be better to use alternate routes today.
Old 11th March 2013, 14:30   #4192
Senior - BHPian

Update from Bangalore Traffic police through their FB page:

Vehicle movement will be closed beyond Mill Corner on Sampige Road from 1400 hrs onwards today (monday) due to Kaadu Malleswara Jatra Mahotsava. Take diversion at mill corner. In the evening ( 1600 - 1900 hrs ) due to Angala Parameswari Procession, traffic congestion may occur at KMF, RR and PF junctions. Kindly avoid or take alternate routes in these place during that time.
Old 11th March 2013, 19:57   #4193
BHPian

Team,
Last Saturday Evening, the Traffic policemen were doing impressive job at the Forum Signal (junction towards Raheja Arcade). They were making sure no vehicle crosses the white line, pedastrians do not talk on cellphone while crossing, pedastrians were not allowed to just jig/jag around while crossing.

It looked dramatic but was happy and wanted to give a thumbs up to them, BUT... they asked me to turn of the headlights. At first I was not sure what is he asking me to do. My headlights were on LOW Beam (I always drive on low beam). He moved on taking care of others while I waited at the white line. But he again came in the front and said to turn off the headlights. My mood of appreciation changed to a 'how stupid are you?'
Now correct me if I am wrong, am I supposed to turn off the headlights at signals? I am not sure. Please enlighten.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:30   #4194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidyanand View Post
Now correct me if I am wrong, am I supposed to turn off the headlights at signals? I am not sure. Please enlighten.
Ideally, I guess you have to switch off the headlights at the signal. I don't know the IRC (Indian Road Congress) rules, or whatever rules. But if I think logically, it helps the opposite lane traffic to cross the signal at ease, without facing the glaring headlights.

But that was a really nice move by the BTP at the signal. Good to know that there are such initiatives taken.
The problem with majority of our signals are that there is no clear demarcation that "this is the width of the road" and the "Stop line is here".

Majority of the signals have a wide opening. So what happens is that bikers come from all sides and form a triangle at the junction. Add to that, there is no clear demarcation which is the pedestrian crossing (zebra) and which line is for halting vehicles. So basically, everyone inches forward thinking that they are at the correct spot.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:47   #4195
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You don't have to but the cops ask you to do so only so they can stand there comfortably. I was the first car at a light and a cop asked me to turn off my lights. I told him not a problem since I am on low beam and not high beam. He said sir thats ok but we stand here facing lights for hours. It's easier for us to see if the lights are off when waiting at signal and does not hurt our eyes.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2013, 20:56   #4196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
He said sir thats ok but we stand here facing lights for hours. It's easier for us to see if the lights are off when waiting at signal and does not hurt our eyes.
That makes sense.
I hope they continue making such effort at all signals in Bangalore. The traffic seriously needs some discipline here.
On added note they seem to be cracking on Tinted windows. Hosur road has this block near Singhasandra Bus Stop where they have been stoppings cars ( for tinted windows, my understanding). I have been observing it every weekend since last month.
Old 11th March 2013, 21:47   #4197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't know if it is in the rules or not, probably it is a best practice - any stopped vehicle must have its head-lights turned off. This is true for waiting at signals or waiting for another vehicle to pass in a single lane or if a bus has stopped at bus-stops. Head lights on means the vehicle is moving and off means the vehicle is stationary.
Old 11th March 2013, 22:26   #4198
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Another development on the Gali Anjaneya temple - Satellite bus stand stretch.

Some shops were demolished this past weekend to help widen the road, hopefully this will ease the flow of traffic in this stretch and help with better management of the 'traffic island' between Deepanjali Nagar and Gali Anjaneya temple.

Link (Source:New Indian Express)

Last edited by NPV : 11th March 2013 at 22:27.
Old 12th March 2013, 19:50   #4199
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Cochin is a city that I visited last week after a long time. I was amazed at the quality of roads, lane discipline, generally good road manners and other good practices being followed across the various segments of society in their vehicles. For example, on at least three separate occasions on different days, in different places, on my visit, the whole line of traffic slowed down, made way for others to come to the left, and themselves moved to the left, when an ambulance was coming along from behind, in order to give the ambulance right of way! I observed less honking and far better behaviour than I have seen over these last so many years in Bangalore. The Cochin road users appear to be far more civilised than those in Bangalore and we Bangaloreans can certainly learn a lot from them.
Old 12th March 2013, 20:29   #4200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Cochin road users appear to be far more civilised than those in Bangalore and we Bangaloreans can certainly learn a lot from them.
The question is how? Not many Bangaloreans visit Cochin or stay long enough there

Most Viewed