Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2013, 16:00   #4216
BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

if this post is off-topic, please delete\move this.

There are medians which come-up overnight. When someone runs-into them, cops say it was rash driving.

Most of the medians have cement blocks\stones. They (the stones) are littered and not in a straight line. Dont the cops understand that people could get badly injured?
If someone here has the authority, please ensure that the so called median (cement blocks) are not jutting out or lying around on the road endangering our lives.
Old 15th March 2013, 22:35   #4217
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Rant on Bangalore Traffic (and now even a note of appreciation... its not all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Cochin is a city that I visited last week after a long time. .... The Cochin road users appear to be far more civilised than those in Bangalore and we Bangaloreans can certainly learn a lot from them.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I lived in B'lore city from 2004 to 2012 and relocated to Cochin a few months back.

Things are much better around here. Most people stick to the lane, stay in a queue at signals and wait for the light to turn green. Cabbies respect their cars and the other vehicles on road. Even autos follow the vehicle in front when the gate is closed at a level crossing.

But I do see offenders. They don't respect the guys waiting in line. They cut lanes when light turns green or block the wrong lane when a railway gate is closed.

And the biggest problem is that the cops do nothing about this as they think these are trivial issues and not worth their time or attention. And soon the guys in queue are going to lose it one by one. And I feel this is how the traffic goes from normal to bad to worse.

These "petty" offences should be checked with utmost care. And in our country that rarely happens. And that is the root cause. Soon, People will get a hang of it and will break rules, one by one, day by day.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 23:10   #4218
BHPian

slightly off topic, but I found this article interesting and how we stack up against the world ...http://www.guardian.co.uk/global-dev...ds-interactive
Old 17th March 2013, 23:28   #4219
BHPian

Traffic in Bangalore - Frustration is an understatement...

Fellow BHP members. I have been wanting to post these questions from quite some time. Just to understand where I am wrong and what needs to be done to correct.

Firstly a bit of background – my roots are from Bangalore and I have seen it grow from a so called ‘Pensioners Paradise’ to ‘IT Capital’ and currently if I may – ‘City with worst traffic sense’. It hurts to make the last statement but that’s the truth and I am sure many Bangaloreans would second my opinion.

I commute to work in my car – daily about 70 KMS to and fro to office. I use the ring road more often than not and my experience has not been good I must admit. Below are a few observations that I have made and my opinions too. I wanted to throw this open to the Forum and see if there is any shortcoming on my part.

1. The road post 9:00 PM is flooded with Trucks (really huge ones) and they keep on to the extreme right hand side of the road. Usually they are crawling or zipping past with utter abandon.

a. From my opinion – the trucks or any slow moving traffic should be on to the left hand corner of the road – that’s the place they need to stick to – am I right or did I get that all wrong.

2. I usually drive around the 55-60 KMPH and let any vehicle who wants to speed past me go by. If I delay a few minutes in giving way to the EVER URGENT Cab driver (who would have installed horns that can be really irritating) I get a scornful look from him as if I did the gravest possible mistake.
a. My take on this – if he/she is in a hurry to go past the vehicle in the front you either horn and ask for way (use your headlamps to indicate that you would want to overtake). Is this the ideal way of doing it?

3. After midnight, there is an unmanned signal with the yellow light blinking. I usually slow down at the junction and then go past the signal. When I do slow down – I am honked at and the Cab driver zips past me and at times uses abusive language too.
a. From what I understand – Yellow light means you got to slowdown and look for any unexpected traffic and then move. Is it a crime to do so?

4. Another frequent incident that I have noticed – When there is an Ambulance I try my best to give way to for it to pass. I have seen at times the Traffic Signal opens up to let the Ambulance pass – this is followed by a bunch of vehicles who speed away at the same speed as the ambulance.
a. What I feel personally is that the Ambulance should be let past and then do not hurry just because the lights changed to let the Ambulance go. There is absolutely no need to do that.

5. Last but not the least – THE RAILWAY CROSSING: Here is the scenario. It is a single road – barely 30 feet wide. Without the Railway Crossing the vehicles can move two way without disturbance. Here is the irritating part – when the gate is closed it is chaos. The entire 30 feet of road is blocked every inch on either side of the gate with barely room to move. I have seen bikes ride below the crossing bar doing all possible circus to get past. When the gates open up, every vehicle wants to be the first to get past the gate and as you might imagine – this causes nothing but a half-gridlock.
a. If I were to suggest – the vehicles on either side of the crossing have to stay on to the left and keep the rest 10-15 feet on their right free. This ensures that the traffic passes smoothly when the gate is opened. STOP going on to the extreme right for heaven’s sake just because it is empty.
b. NEVER EVER try to do all possible exercise to go past the barrier when it is closed. It means you cannot pass – why can’t people get this simple message.
These are a few of the never ending list of small but very significant incidents that I am sure all of us would have experienced at some point in time. Fellow BHP member please feel free to share your experiences or correct me if I have not been doing the right thing.

What I believe firmly – Respect the other driver on the road and rest assured – your trip will be safe and enjoyable.

Drive Safe – DO NOT DRINK and DRIVE
eethanhunt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 11:39   #4220
BHPian

Re: Traffic in Bangalore - Frustration is an understatement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eethanhunt View Post
Fellow BHP members. I have been wanting to post these questions from quite some time. Just to understand where I am wrong and what needs to be done to correct.
You are not wrong.. just "Welcome to reality"

Quote:
1. The road post 9:00 PM is flooded with Trucks (really huge ones) and they keep on to the extreme right hand side of the road. Usually they are crawling or zipping past with utter abandon.

a. From my opinion – the trucks or any slow moving traffic should be on to the left hand corner of the road – that’s the place they need to stick to – am I right or did I get that all wrong.
Even I had the same point earlier. But while reading on it, I see that especially truckers keep on right because of the two wheelers / pedestrians on the left most lane. I kind of excuse them, as it will be difficult for them to sudden break with their load.

What concerns me is the two wheelers, they neither move fast nor they stick to left most lane [leave alone they wearing helmet, its their head and I stopped worrying about it]. They tend to ride in middle of the road.
And some times I see 2 two wheelers riding parallel to each other at same pace of speed and blocking 2 lanes.
Flash - they dont know what it is.
Honk - they never understand it. They think it is for other person and not for me.

Yesterday, 2 Wheeler's ridden by college kids, their gf's sitting behind were doing circus by passing things around [one bike to the other]. Rider's were not wearing helmet and losing balance due to the stupid act by their gf's behind.

Quote:
2. I usually drive around the 55-60 KMPH and let any vehicle who wants to speed past me go by. If I delay a few minutes in giving way to the EVER URGENT Cab driver (who would have installed horns that can be really irritating) I get a scornful look from him as if I did the gravest possible mistake.
a. My take on this – if he/she is in a hurry to go past the vehicle in the front you either horn and ask for way (use your headlamps to indicate that you would want to overtake). Is this the ideal way of doing it?
Cabbies are just drivers without any disciplines in them.

Quote:
3. After midnight, there is an unmanned signal with the yellow light blinking. I usually slow down at the junction and then go past the signal. When I do slow down – I am honked at and the Cab driver zips past me and at times uses abusive language too.
a. From what I understand – Yellow light means you got to slowdown and look for any unexpected traffic and then move. Is it a crime to do so?
Yes, I have experienced it quite a lot. You are right in doing Slow-Watch-Move. However others treat Yellow light as move faster.

My observation,
Red - Halt
Yellow - Move faster
Green - move slow

Another thing I have noticed, the moment the signal turns green, there will be a set of jerks who's 1st job is to honk.
I tell myself that, I am not building home here and will move sooner than they can shift their gear.

One day I was standing at signal around 1:00 am in the night, a wheeler passes me and gives me a bad look (as if I was stealing his things).

Quote:
4. Another frequent incident that I have noticed – When there is an Ambulance I try my best to give way to for it to pass. I have seen at times the Traffic Signal opens up to let the Ambulance pass – this is followed by a bunch of vehicles who speed away at the same speed as the ambulance.
a. What I feel personally is that the Ambulance should be let past and then do not hurry just because the lights changed to let the Ambulance go. There is absolutely no need to do that.
Thats another problem. I see people tailing Ambulance so that they can move fast [irrespective of traffic].

Quote:
5. Last but not the least – THE RAILWAY CROSSING: Here is the scenario. It is a single road – barely 30 feet wide. Without the Railway Crossing the vehicles can move two way without disturbance. Here is the irritating part – when the gate is closed it is chaos. The entire 30 feet of road is blocked every inch on either side of the gate with barely room to move. I have seen bikes ride below the crossing bar doing all possible circus to get past. When the gates open up, every vehicle wants to be the first to get past the gate and as you might imagine – this causes nothing but a half-gridlock.
a. If I were to suggest – the vehicles on either side of the crossing have to stay on to the left and keep the rest 10-15 feet on their right free. This ensures that the traffic passes smoothly when the gate is opened. STOP going on to the extreme right for heaven’s sake just because it is empty.
b. NEVER EVER try to do all possible exercise to go past the barrier when it is closed. It means you cannot pass – why can’t people get this simple message.
These are a few of the never ending list of small but very significant incidents that I am sure all of us would have experienced at some point in time. Fellow BHP member please feel free to share your experiences or correct me if I have not been doing the right thing.
ah' you nailed it. We are in India, we believe in acquiring even inch of space and dont give damn of other's pain. As long as I can reach home fast, I am happy. They do not have the commonsense that by following road discipline, they can actually move faster and lot peacefully.

Quote:
What I believe firmly – Respect the other driver on the road and rest assured – your trip will be safe and enjoyable.

Our country is fast moving [into gutter's] and no one has patience here.
Whenever I come across impatient driver, I usually tell my gf, that his wife/gf will sleep with someone else if he does not reach on time.

Not only the traffic to be blamed, I see even the pedestrians at fault. At times while I am taking turns or reverse, they know the vehicle will be moving, still they want to come in-front of it. Dont understand, they could either waited a minute or walked the other side.

Some times while in traffic I think I have become old because I tend to follow traffic rules, drive carefully, leave people who are in hurry, give preference to pedestrians / cyclists. :(

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 18th March 2013 at 11:46.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 11:51   #4221
BHPian

Re: Traffic in Bangalore - Frustration is an understatement...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eethanhunt View Post

Firstly the whole post you have quoted is a guide to attaining COMMON SENSE If someone is publishing such a guide/ help book, I am sure there are many more of us who would like to contribute heavily!

Common sense and traffic sense are not rocket science, it is just that people do not want to follow. Reason: am not sure! Half the time, a jam/ choking is caused not due to some accident/ construction work; but mainly because people do not respect traffic rules! I have seen cabbies/ truck drivers coming in the wrong side head on and indicating me to give way for them If protested, be ready to hear swear words and/ or chased by them till the next signal! What worries me, is that this is not the case only with cabbies/ truck drivers, many people like you and me are also behaving this way. If you follow all the rules, there is high probability that you feel stupid at the end of the day, because that is how you will be treated!
MotoNanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 12:03   #4222
Senior - BHPian

<---Starts of Rant!!--->

Who all use the railway crossing opposite ISRO and then the back road behind Graphite India to touch the Whitefield Main road?

Don't know why, but for the last 3-4 months the traffic on this route has suddenly spurted up and the common choke points are really really choked like hell.

I bike to work, but the antics of a lot of other bikers on the road is just abysmal. This coupled with most cab's driving around like they were two-wheelers not 4.

Also, who all here think the road in front of Ecospace, Bellandur has become really risky post flyover construction with people and vehicles crossing the road randomly and popping up in front of you at the wrong times.

Last rant, residents of HSR layout, any idea why has BMC been punishing us and our vehicles for the last three years with that god forsaken excuse of a road called 27th Main.

<---End of Rant!!--->
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 12:18   #4223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
<---Starts of Rant!!--->

Who all use the railway crossing opposite ISRO and then the back road behind Graphite India to touch the Whitefield Main road?
Don't know why, but for the last 3-4 months the traffic on this route has suddenly spurted up and the common choke points are really really choked like hell. I bike to work, but the antics of a lot of other bikers on the road is just abysmal. This coupled with most cab's driving around like they were two-wheelers not 4.
I don't use that road. Had taken the company bus today and we were taking that U-Turn in front of ISRO and saw the freaking jam !! Add to that, few clever chaps taking a roundabout in that narrow stretch !!! Adding cabbies who make a second line, while blocking the oncoming traffic !! Add to that, some moronic drivers, who don't move with the queue - Result - cabbies overtake and come in a 2nd line and sqeeze in to the queue. So what happens is - I was in 2nd spot after the car, and now I am in 3rd spot after the car. After a while, I end up being 5-7 cars behind. Duh...

Quote:

Also, who all here think the road in front of Ecospace, Bellandur has become really risky post flyover construction with people and vehicles crossing the road randomly and popping up in front of you at the wrong times.
Well, I ranted big time on the situation at Ecospace. Here and also Here is my rant.

Quote:
Last rant, residents of HSR layout, any idea why has BMC been punishing us and our vehicles for the last three years with that god forsaken excuse of a road called 27th Main.
Not sure of the road, but I very well understand the situation. After all its a jacked up B'lore.
Old 18th March 2013, 12:21   #4224
BHPian

Quote:
<---Starts of Rant!!--->

<---End of Rant!!--->
27th Main is actually the playground/ test venue for BWSSB/ BECOM/ others. Dig, wait, frustrate, dump. Any new thing which they want to implement, gets tested here first and the testing never completes
MotoNanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 09:50   #4225
BHPian

Quote:
<---Starts of Rant!!--->

Don't know why, but for the last 3-4 months the traffic on this route has suddenly spurted up and the common choke points are really really choked like hell.

I bike to work, but the antics of a lot of other bikers on the road is just abysmal. This coupled with most cab's driving around like they were two-wheelers not 4.
At hours of peak traffic, I always find it easier to wait at the Kundhalahalli signal rather than taking these shortcuts. Regulated traffic is way better than unregulated mayhem.

If you really do need to use the shortcuts, why don't you try the Doddanakundi one which goes thro Alpine Eco? Easier, no railway crossing, and also completely tarred roads nowadays. Or go further and take the one near EMC2.

Quote:
Ecospace is going to become a hell hole to pedestrians. Cars nowadays zoom from one flyover to the other, and the people crossing the roads need to be very very careful. I always slow down to a crawl when i cross this place. I don't want to be the last car some poor soul sees.

Quote:

<---End of Rant!!--->
27th main is the best example of what a road should not look like. I normally go there to tank up at the BP bunk there. And after that immediately exit that road to join the 19th main road. I don't even take the road which comes from Agara. Besides 19th main road is the epitome of how a road should look. Wide, beautifully tarred, and no bottlenecks.
bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2013, 12:52   #4226
Senior - BHPian

I have on several occasions recommended the Wind Tunnel Road - DRDO - Yemalur/Bellandur route as an alternative to the Old Airport Road here. Last weekend, one of my neighbours was assaulted, robbed and his car vandalized by a bunch of rowdies on bikes on this road. So folks - please be careful. This road is pretty lonely during weekends (weekdays it sees a fair bit of traffic till about 10-11 PM).
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:16   #4227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Another way to curb this menace is to raise curb height to at least 6". If some reason it cannot be done, build 6" step on the foot-path, perpendicular to the road.
Few months back i commented on pavement riders. This is what is done in BTM Layout:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-btm.jpg

This needs to be at many more places.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:20   #4228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few months back i commented on pavement riders. This is what is done in BTM Layout:
Attachment 1064538

That's a good idea. Can stop footpath riders. I think it could be implemented on the footpath at the entrance of each house - both sides. That gives the house owner a secure entrance point + no obstacle to pedestrians + stops bikers from riding on the footpath.
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:24   #4229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1064538

great! now something new for pedestrians to trip and fall on their faces why can't they just barricade the footpath instead of all this crappy ideas which will eventually backfire!
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:43   #4230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't want to walk on this pavement on a night when the street lights does not work! Very dangerous! I guess the best idea as Anil said is to barricade the pavements. This will serve two purposes - Prevent two wheelers from riding on the footpath and also, prevent people from jaywalking!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks