Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:45   #4321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
BHPians staying there, is it really worth moving there?

OT: Did not see any separate thread regarding house rent. If there is any, kindly redirect me.
I am looking for an apartment/house for rent with below requirements.
- Budget 13k - 14k (including maintenance and other things).
- Four wheeler & two wheeler parking
- If the building does not have lift, house should be either in ground floor or 1st floor.
- Spacious and good ventilation
You should be able to find a 2bhk for that amount. PM member yajaman99 he lives there and should be able to help you.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 19:55   #4322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
All underpasses do have drains. They might not be fast enough if it rains heavily.
Yes,I agree technically, but the guys who design do not seem to have brains, the rainfall intensity and pattern is known, the problem in our county is that no one does anything with accountability, well.. if thay do it with accountability it is more often than not an exception. Similar case take the "Magic Box" Palace Orcahrds or for that matter neat the carmel junction. It is not stupidity, it is the confidence that the public is stupid.
Old 4th April 2013, 04:26   #4323
Senior - BHPian

Worst time to go out in Bangalore is when it is about to rain! Everyone on the roads is in a mad dash to get wherever they are going as if its acid that is going to rain down on them.

Next worse is when it stops raining.

Trouble with hitting the road when it is raining is that if it stops raining while you are still on the road, you will get swallowed by all those who were waiting for the rain to stop!!
Old 4th April 2013, 10:34   #4324
Distinguished - BHPian

Best is when it has JUST started to rain VERY HARD. Result is that the bikers are desperately huddling under cover to escape the acid rain (heck, why blame them even some 4 wheelers are huddling!), others are driving at 5 km/hr on a 3 feet patch of dry road with completely misted windshields plus all lights on (whatever time of the day) including hazards, headlights on high beam & fogs :-)

This leaves me to drive (at sensible speeds of course) using that modern marvel - the windshield wiper at its highest setting.

I have come to realize that with the steadily declining rainfall in BLR, most drivers don't have the least idea what to do whenever it rains even a bit heavily. Answer is to export them to Mumbai for monsoon training:-). Mumbai, NOTHING stops, life simply goes on...

But BEFORE & AFTER is pure hell as amitoj had pointed out :-)

Last edited by itwasntme : 4th April 2013 at 10:41. Reason: Clarity
Old 4th April 2013, 13:00   #4325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
All underpasses do have drains. They might not be fast enough if it rains heavily.

These 2 pictures which had come in TBHP earlier and the blame game of BDA clearly shows the lack of accountability.

Rain water drains are supposed to clear off the water in underpasses even if the rains are heavy. Normal rains fill our underpasses, and even roads. When they build dividers and footpaths, these things are never taken into account.

http://bangalore.citizenmatters.in/a...dubeesanahalli
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kadu-02.jpg  

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-kbhalli_wate1r_small.jpg  

mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 13:30   #4326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannubhai View Post
These 2 pictures which had come in TBHP earlier and the blame game of BDA clearly shows the lack of accountability.
These pictures were taken when the underpass was still under construction. Now that it is complete, if still the case then its bad design.
Old 4th April 2013, 13:35   #4327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
These pictures were taken when the underpass was still under construction. Now that it is complete, if still the case then its bad design.
Those pics were of the first rain after the underpass was opened for public.

As i heard the underpass was waterlogged in day before yesterday's rain too. I didnt see it personally this time, so its hear say.
mannubhai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 16:54   #4328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I use this underpass daily. I remember that day last year. I agree these photographs were taken on the morning after the underpass was completed and witnessed the first rain of the season.

Additionally if the underpass was not completed, then why was it opened to public? putting so many lives in danger.
Old 4th April 2013, 20:15   #4329
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Never-the-less, its not a foreign land either, still a part of India.
Thanks to our superb infrastructure, the so-called traffic planners and traffic police we have some roads that give you the feeling of being in the USA
Two that easily come to mind are the ones from Garuda mall to Lifestyle junction;IISC to the Maramma temple junction. In both these stretches you can legitimately drive on the right hand side of the road.
A few years ago we also had a junction on the top of Richmond Road flyover with a cop manning it
Old 4th April 2013, 21:02   #4330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
I use this underpass daily.
Did they remove the hump from inside the underpass.? That was a shocker of a hump at a very wrong underlit place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
A few years ago we also had a junction on the top of Richmond Road flyover with a cop manning it
Oh mine .I remember those days. The scary part was that, when we waited on the it, u could feel the flyover shaking. I wondered manytimes, do they even to a weight analysis before they build these ?
Old 4th April 2013, 22:10   #4331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh mine .I remember those days. The scary part was that, when we waited on the it, u could feel the flyover shaking. I wondered manytimes, do they even to a weight analysis before they build these ?
Isn't this one of the earliest flyovers of Bangalore? Probably technology wasn't so advanced then ;-)
Old 4th April 2013, 22:41   #4332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did they remove the hump from inside the underpass.? That was a shocker of a hump at a very wrong underlit place.
Yes, that speed breaker is gone when the road was tarred. Again the underpass was opened before it was tarred & finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Isn't this one of the earliest flyovers of Bangalore? Probably technology wasn't so advanced then ;-)
Right that is probably the 2nd flyover in Blore. It was designed for 2-way Richmond road. One day when Richmond Road became one-way, the utility of the flyover went for a toss. The cops re-purposed the flyover by having traffic signal on top. The signal had become a butt of joke. The flyover is now again re-purposed with the idea of removing that signal. Hence we have 2 way traffic in the leg meant for one way.

Last edited by msdivy : 4th April 2013 at 22:46.
Old 5th April 2013, 00:38   #4333
BHPian

I'm not sure if shaking of a flyover has got anything to do with technology. Don't all fly overs shake because of the tolerance in the expansion joints?

I've got stuck on many fly overs due to crawling traffic and whenever a heavy vehicle moved on the opposite (free) lane, I could feel the fly over shake! Correct me if I'm wrong.
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 07:03   #4334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember those days. The scary part was that, when we waited on the it, u could feel the flyover shaking. I wondered manytimes, do they even to a weight analysis before they build these ?
All flyovers are designed to flex and shake a little bit. If they don't flex, the vibrations from vehicles running over them will cause cracks in the concrete. The same applies to all bridges also, no matter how modern or antiquated the technology used to build them.

Edit: Added_flavor, you are absolutely correct.

Last edited by vikram_d : 5th April 2013 at 07:05.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 10:33   #4335
BHPian

Guys, on Whitefield road, near Herbs and Spices restaurant, both sides of the road are marked as No Parking spots. But I regularly see vehicles parked on both sides. Is there a designated parking are in this vicinity?

Most Viewed