Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2013, 00:59   #4576
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Today a two-wheeler rear ended my car at Sadashivnagar. I was waiting at slow moving traffic.
For people who this area.. When you come from Mekri circle and joining towards Bysham circle, there is a small junction (there is Barista at corner) without any police or signal. Hence there will be slow moving traffic.

After rear-ending my car, this guy was arguing with me... Saying, I applied break, that made him loss control n hit my car. I was like, this is slow moving traffic n there is no option for me to hard break at any point. When asked about keeping safe distance, he started in hindi, 'abe yeh pagal hai kya.. samaj me nahi aata ki control nahi karsaka...'

Since the damage was a small scratch, I just moved from there helplessly
Old 7th July 2013, 01:06   #4577
Senior - BHPian

^^ Good that you didn't jump the signal along with the BMTC; Gods knows what would have happened (people coming from the Kamraj road have a habit of of jumping the signal before it goes green)! Always take solace in the fact that what goes around, comes around. The auto driver got what he deserved.

Btw, were there passengers in the auto?

@500ContyCruiser: what time was this? I passed through that spot this afternoon!

Last edited by IronH4WK : 7th July 2013 at 01:09.
Old 7th July 2013, 01:12   #4578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Today afternoon, I was coming in Dispensary road, tailing a BMTC. (BTW, tailing a BMTC is a good idea as they clear up traffic wonderfully for you !).
I do tail BMTC Volvos at times for same reasons as yours - People make way for Volvos, not Ambulances.
But its highly risky. They have those power brakes and suddenly stop even in the middle of the road. Have almost rear ended them several times (not actually rear-ended). Add to that, no brake lights.

I am happy that the auto guy was caught. Incase there were no passengers, I wish he had broken his axle or wheels on the bad patch.
Old 7th July 2013, 01:13   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
@500ContyCruiser: what time was this? I passed through that spot this afternoon!
It was ~ 12:00 in the noon.

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 7th July 2013 at 01:16.
Old 7th July 2013, 01:21   #4580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post

It was ~ 12:00 in the noon.
I missed you by an hour or so! I passed through there just past 1pm.

Hope the scratch isn't very bad (and visible).
Old 7th July 2013, 02:04   #4581
BHPian

Quote:
I missed you by an hour or so! I passed through there just past 1pm.

Hope the scratch isn't very bad (and visible).
Oh.. Just missed you then! Will catch-up some time.

Thanks! Luckily not a major one. Felt really sad and helpless with no fault of mine :'(

Some times feels either run away from this country or quit driving [but what all can we quit??]

We are not left with any other option, apart from ranting on TBHP.
On a second thought, ranting here does help in calm down

God save us and our beloved country!! Even he would be thinking.. Where to start

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 7th July 2013 at 02:08.
Old 7th July 2013, 02:10   #4582
BHPian

So as I mentioned a few posts earlier, I am visiting Bangalore for a few days. Anyway, I had gone for a movie at Lodi mall tonight with family and was returning home around 11:45pm. I was on CMH road (I think that's what it is called?) and at the first signal after exiting from Lodi mall there were a few cars waiting. I noticed cops were checking for drunk driving. A cop stopped me and asked me to give a breath sample. I put down the window just about 5 centimeters to try and understand what he was saying. He was trying to shove that breath analyzer into me. I flatly refused to provide the breath sample because I was weary about the hygiene of that machine. Anyway that cop kept trying to make me give the breath sample. Then suddenly he grew impatient and tried to open my door. He could not as I always lock all doors when I get inside. Then my parents also rolled down their window a bit and told the cop that we never ever drink. Finally the cop gave up and told me to go ahead. Now here's the other aspect to it. While this cop was trying to shove the machine to me and tried to open my door, there was another cop standing in front with a videocamera who was taking a video/picture of the front of the car and license plate (car is KA regd btw). After he told me to leave, I grew concerned about this cop with the camera. Here are my concerns:
1. Why was he taking a video/picture?
2. And, do you think they will send a notice/bill home asking me to pay a fine for no fault of mine?
3. Do you think they may rig the machine and give some fake results and attach it to the picture they were taking?
Any inputs from the locals and others who may have experienced the same would put my mind at ease. Thanks much!

PS: That cop trying to open my door was absolutely ridiculous. He has no right whatsoever to open my door. In the US there are such strong privacy/protection laws that no one dare do such a thing.

Last edited by carfreak77 : 7th July 2013 at 02:20.
carfreak77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 05:30   #4583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77 View Post
So as I mentioned a few posts earlier, I am visiting Bangalore for a few days. Anyway, I had gone for a movie at Lodi mall tonight with family and was returning home around 11:45pm. I was on CMH road (I think that's what it is called?) and at the first signal after exiting from Lodi mall there were a few cars waiting. I noticed cops were checking for drunk driving. A cop stopped me and asked me to give a breath sample. I put down the window just about 5 centimeters to try and understand what he was saying. He was trying to shove that breath analyzer into me. I flatly refused to provide the breath sample because I was weary about the hygiene of that machine. Anyway that cop kept trying to make me give the breath sample. Then suddenly he grew impatient and tried to open my door. He could not as I always lock all doors when I get inside. Then my parents also rolled down their window a bit and told the cop that we never ever drink. Finally the cop gave up and told me to go ahead. Now here's the other aspect to it. While this cop was trying to shove the machine to me and tried to open my door, there was another cop standing in front with a videocamera who was taking a video/picture of the front of the car and license plate (car is KA regd btw). After he told me to leave, I grew concerned about this cop with the camera. Here are my concerns:
2. And, do you think they will send a notice/bill home asking me to pay a fine for no fault of mine?
3. Do you think they may rig the machine and give some fake results and attach it to the picture they were taking?
Any inputs from the locals and others who may have experienced the same would put my mind at ease. Thanks much!

PS: That cop trying to open my door was absolutely ridiculous. He has no right whatsoever to open my door. In the US there are such strong privacy/protection laws that no one dare do such a thing.
Sad that our Bangalore cops did this to a visitor and contributed to spoiling the city's image. Here cops have been given digital cameras to capture traffic violations, as far as I know, they use it mostly to scare people. Trust me, they don't have the time to create a fake offence in your name and fine it for you. If you were caught for drunken driving, then they produce you in court, there is no other alternative. As far as drunken driving goes, you are safe. My two cents, forget the incident like a bad dream. Cops usually look for vehicles full of youngsters, they do not stop vehicles with families in them, don't know why they stopped yours.

Here in India, it works if you get down from your vehicle and walk up to the cop smiling and stand in a meek pose, they perceive people sitting in their cars as arrogant. I know its wrong and not the right thing to do, but as they say in Rome, do as the Romans do

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
Today a two-wheeler rear ended my car at Sadashivnagar. I was waiting at slow moving traffic.
For people who this area.. When you come from Mekri circle and joining towards Bysham circle, there is a small junction (there is Barista at corner) without any police or signal. Hence there will be slow moving traffic.

After rear-ending my car, this guy was arguing with me... Saying, I applied break, that made him loss control n hit my car. I was like, this is slow moving traffic n there is no option for me to hard break at any point. When asked about keeping safe distance, he started in hindi, 'abe yeh pagal hai kya.. samaj me nahi aata ki control nahi karsaka...'

Since the damage was a small scratch, I just moved from there helplessly
I can see where you are coming from, there are a lot of them who have no control and they keep getting into accidents every now and then, so they have developed a strategy. The minute they hit you, specifically when it is their fault, they start arguing with you, what you have to do is watch very carefully, first check out how much support the other vehicle has, from a personal angle and also from the crowd, if it is a small gang then be wary because words will turn into blows real quick. The next time, don't argue, quietly go around taking pictures of the guy and the vehicle and the damage with your mobile, then walk away and make a dummy call in such a way that the guys cannot hear you but can see you talking and making gestures at them, that puts the scare of God in them, after that, they will be ready to settle issues amicably

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th July 2013 at 06:30. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. As a long time member, i am sure you know about the Multi-Quote feature to reply to more than one post at a time. Thanks.
Old 7th July 2013, 08:44   #4584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been stopped several times at the one near Manipal Hospital signal (it is on the way to my home). I find the cops manning this stop to be generally well-behaved.

1. The video/picture is CYA. There have been several cases where minor celebrities or hangers-on of celebrities, despite being drunk, created trouble for the cops by claiming they were needlessly stopped, assaulted and demanded money of (and the press gives these sorts coverage).

2. No. They will do that only if a reading above the threshold is registered in the machine. If they wave you off (which they do for me, when they see my wife & children inside the car), then you are good.

3. Never heard of such cases. From observing these stops (have also had first-hand experience at Sony World signal), the guys who are detained are genuinely drunk.

Quote:
In the US there are such strong privacy/protection laws that no one dare do such a thing.
Cough cough cough.... PRISM, NSA... cough cough cough...

Last edited by binand : 7th July 2013 at 08:52.
binand is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 09:30   #4585
Senior - BHPian

@carfreak77: the machine they ask you to blow into, you don't need to have contact with it. Just give a strong blow. If they suspect you're drunk (the reading will let them know when you blow the first time) then they'll retest and this time they'll ask you to blow into the machine using a small pipe attached to it. You have every right to ask for a new pipe.

On Fridays and weekends usually you'll find DUI checkpoints all over the city. I always get stopped near Frazer town. I always slow down, switch off my headlights (it ain't fun standing in front of glaring headlights) and roll down my window. Most of the time when the cops sees this action of mine, they let me pass. Else, I oblige when they ask me to blow into the breath analyser. At the end if the day, they're just doing their job to keep our streets safe.

ps: its Lido mall, not Lodi. I was wondering where did this new mall come up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

lol! Get some cough syrup

Last edited by IronH4WK : 7th July 2013 at 09:34.
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 12:31   #4586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In US if the cops think that you are not cooperating they would arrest you. Not obeying Cops direct order amounts to non cooperation . Thank god you were in India.

Last edited by DieselFan : 7th July 2013 at 12:32.
DieselFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2013, 13:06   #4587
BHPian

Quote:
I have been stopped several times at the one near .... I find the cops manning this stop to be generally well-behaved....
I too second Binand's feedback on the behavior. I too have been stopped a couple of times when alone & they have been very professional when they speak. I have not been asked to blow into a breath analyzer so I cannot comment. I think, generally, they wont push you for a breath check if you are with your family and respond to them normally (aka politely). May be they are more stringent after 12am or 1am which I am not sure.
Old 7th July 2013, 13:14   #4588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been stopped several times at the one near Manipal Hospital signal (it is on the way to my home). I find the cops manning this stop to be generally well-behaved...
Quote:
On Fridays and weekends usually you'll find DUI checkpoints all over the city. I always get stopped near Frazer town. I always slow down, switch off my headlights (it ain't fun standing in front of glaring headlights) and roll down my window. Most of the time when the cops sees this action of mine, they let me pass. Else, I oblige when they ask me to blow into the breath analyser. At the end if the day, they're just doing their job to keep our streets safe.
+1 to Mr.H4WK. Two weeks ago, I was stopped in front of Madiwala police station. It was just my wife and I in the car. The cop also stopped a few bikers as well. I immediately turned off the headlights and put the blinkers on, as the cop was standing near the median and I was on the right lane. I lowered the window. He politely asked me, "Did you drink sir?", and showed me the breathalyzer. I said no, and I blew into it. He was satisfied, and waved me off. The bikers were smelling of spirits, and one guy was arguing with the cop also. With just dangerous creatures let loose on the road, I wouldn't mind cooperating with the cop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
In US if the cops think that you are not cooperating they would arrest you. Not obeying Cops direct order amounts to non cooperation . Thank god you were in India.
If you do not cooperate, the cop is allowed to disarm you, and even shoot you. I have seen an MI cop shoot a driver below his knees because he opened the door and got down while the cop was yelling at him to roll down the window and keep his hands on the wheel.

Quote:
Exactly! Privacy? What's that?
Old 7th July 2013, 13:35   #4589
Senior - BHPian

Well, two different scenarios I have seen.

1. I was coming home after picking up wife from airport. Had another friend also accompanying me from airport. Time was around 11:45PM on Saturday night. I was stopped near MG Road - Brigade Road junction. Police had set up those movable barricades. The cop came closer to the window, I lowered the glass and he showed me the breath analyzer, gesturing me to blow in it. I blew, 0 result. He looked inside the car and we had some luggage also. I proactively said that I was coming from airport. He let me go, no further questions asked.
Have been stopped at Madiwala junction, Koramangala BDA complex signal also. Same experience. No wrong doings of the cops.

I believe, be polite to the police and they treat you well.

2. I was riding my OR registered (KA Road tax paid) bike to office in the morning. Near AXA Signal (BTM Layout), I was waiting at the signal. A constable with digicam came and started taking pics of the bike. I parked my bike and went behind him to ask what was the matter. He pointed me to his boss, sitting a little further. I walked up to him and asked why was the pic being clicked. He responded saying that it was a OR registered bike and I had to pay KA road tax. I replied saying that I had paid tax and will show him the documents. He seemed to get agitated and blandly asked for Rs.200 fine. I asked him why and his response was that I was riding the bike over the foothpath. I replied saying that I had only parked my bike when the constable started taking pics. His argument was that I should not park my bike on foothpath. Oh hell, then where am I supposed to leave my bike when talking to him ? On the road, in the middle of traffic. He said pay up Rs 100 or come to PS and give fine for riding and parking on foothpath. He was in no understanding mood and I was in no mood to spoil my morning for that stupid fellow. He just wanted money, putting whatever offences he could, on me !!
A little more argument and I ended up paying Rs.100 bribe. Yes, bribe. Yes, I know as a motorist, I have the right to refuse and argue with him. But I was worried, what if he takes the pics of the bike and frame false charges ?

Ohh and yes, my friend and I were stopped at Silk Board at 10:00PM for riding a WB registered bike (friend's). Just showed the KA road tax paid challan and we were free to go.

I believe that having an outside KA registered vehicle in Bangalore draws unwanted attention of traffic cops who are on hunt for some easy money and bribe. Sometimes these cops get cranky and start irritating people. I know they are doing their job of monitoring outside state vehicles, to avoid crimes (like the TN bike in Malleswaram blast case). But when I am showing you the road tax challan, I hope you shut up your mouth and respect me.

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 7th July 2013 at 13:40.
Old 7th July 2013, 20:48   #4590
Senior - BHPian

Was killing time on FB and came across this post in the BTP Page and BTP's response.

So, there were some emails and FB shares stating that you can skip producing documents when the traffic cop asks you.

However, BTP has clarified that Driving License must be produced, irrespective whether you have vehicle documents or not (which can be produced later).
So B'lore friends, please ensure that you have atleast the Driving License in original with you at all times.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-fb.jpg

Most Viewed