Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2013, 17:08   #5101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
any updates on the Madiwala underpass? When I was going to office in the afternoon, the lane towards Silkboard was blocked off for some work. I sometimes wonder why they even made that underpass.
There was an update on Bangalore Traffic Police FB page that the underpass will be blocked for some repair. I guess it was put on Saturday.
Old 21st October 2013, 20:24   #5102
Distinguished - BHPian

The Madiwala underpass: Well, more you talk about it, more it gets on my nerves. I have been taking this route since 2008 and after the underpass became functional and nothing has changed. Fridays towards the city are worst as the area after the underpass becomes a " Private Bus Stand" for all the KL bound buses.

This was touted as a first in class Infrastructure project funded by the Cement companies built with latest technology. I guess, that is how ToI is addicted when it comes to hyping news and making its readers proud.

I surely remembered an article in ToI years back when this underpass was thrown open to Public but was unable to find the URL of the article.

Luckily, I managed to search a few strings and I found the article:

http://lite.epaper.timesofindia.com/...t=&publabel=MM

Attaching the news article as images. Have fun reading the all the more funny news from the past:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-01.jpg
And they say, this technology will ensure that the road lasts for 30-35 years!!!
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-02.jpg
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-03.jpg

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st October 2013 at 20:28.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2013, 20:32   #5103
BHPian

My society just received a notice from BBMP informing of their plans to widen Bannerghatta Road from Jayadeva to Koli farm. The plan is to make it 6 lanes with 2 service lanes.

There was a news article which states that the work will start within 2 months.
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:21   #5104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiel View Post
My society just received a notice from BBMP informing of their plans to widen Bannerghatta Road from Jayadeva to Koli farm.
There was a news about metro work starting on Bannerghatta road by next year mid. Hope this road work if it is starting gets done fast. Else it will be a complete mess.
Also, 6 lanes and two service road ? That is almost like Hosur road. Is it possible to get Bannerghatta road widen that much considering heavy concentration of buildings on either side.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:43   #5105
BHPian

A long time resident of the Hulimavu area, Bannerghatta Road, told me a while ago that a government notification was issued in 1986 (yes, that long ago! shocking, isn't it?) that Bannerghatta Road would be widened to 6 lanes in the future and all building must have adequate set back. Some have allowed massive space in front - like Apollo Hospital. I doubt they will be affected much. Many who have built to the edge of the road will pay the price.
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:53   #5106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There was a news about metro work starting on Bannerghatta road by next year mid. Hope this road work if it is starting gets done fast. Else it will be a complete mess.
Also, 6 lanes and two service road ? That is almost like Hosur road. Is it possible to get Bannerghatta road widen that much considering heavy concentration of buildings on either side.
Highly doubtful. 6 lanes are still manageable. But service road, impossible. +1 that there is a heavy concentration of buildings. Add to that, these buildings are major ones, just for instance, Gopalan Innovation Mall, Shoppers Stop, Mantri Apartments, Apollo Hospital, Fortis Hospital, IIMB !! These are major landmarks and I am dead sure that Karnataka Govt isn't rich enough to compensate these properties to be able to make way for road widening.
Even if it is done, the roads would pass by close proximity of these buildings. So entering and exiting these buildings will be a nightmare as vehicles would be zooming. One wrong step and someone would come under wheels !!

I am predicting the above situation from the reality in my hometown Bhubaneswar. The NH5 passes through the city and now NHAI is widening the highway. So iconic buildings like Iskcon Temple and major hotels are now just beside the highway. Its just a disaster waiting to happen there. People don't have parking space infront of Iskcon and hotels.

I am a strong believer that if roads are maintained in top notch condition, many of these jams could clear up on the Bannerghata road.
The stretch between Bilekhalli signal and Mantri apartment is in such horrible condition. No one can drive beyond 5km/hr between this stretch. As a result, traffic piles up and then people start becoming impatient.
Can't the authorities lay fresh quality road instead of patching up ? Patching up doesn't help, it's the same condition as road with potholes. The ride is still bumpy with uneven patches, and everyone slows down.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 17:13   #5107
BHPian

Gopalan Mall on Bannerghatta Road will be demolished to make way for the Metro. It was in the papers. It was that or Jayadeva, and in public interest it was decided to keep Jayadeva.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 22:16   #5108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My society just received a notice from BBMP informing of their plans to widen Bannerghatta Road from Jayadeva to Koli farm. The plan is to make it 6 lanes with 2 service lanes.
Are they widening only until Kolifarm gate? How about Koilfarm gate - Bannerghatta - Jigani? Jigani industiral area is now connected with Bommasandra industrial area and there are lot of huge companies coming up there. The traffic density on Bannerghatta road until Jigani has increased by atleast 50 times in the past couple of years. Added to this, all the granite showrooms in Audigodi have been asked to move to Jigani area. Already 75% of them have moved I guess. If they are widening the road, they have to make it all the way upto Jigani, else it'll be a mess after Kolifarm gate. But lets hope that work is finished until Kolifarm first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Gopalan Mall on Bannerghatta Road will be demolished to make way for the Metro. It was in the papers. It was that or Jayadeva, and in public interest it was decided to keep Jayadeva.
Are they demolishing the entire mall? How about the other buildings next to it? There is an apartment, an old Infosys building and a Kalyana Mantapa around the mall.

Where is the metro line headed to? If its Bannerghatta road, I'll decide not to step into that road until all the above works are completed.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 23:42   #5109
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Where is the metro line headed to? If its Bannerghatta road, I'll decide not to step into that road until all the above works are completed.
Its till gottigere junction. This adds to the road widening work + few fly-overs. Its going to take years!
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:38   #5110
BHPian

A BMTC bus has broken down in front of Himagiri Meadows, resulting in the blocking of the lane towards Meenakshi Temple. Vehicles have to use the same lane and already a massive jam has formed blocking both sides.
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:51   #5111
Senior - BHPian

Those who take the service road from EMC2 to Samsung at Doddanekkundi, please be careful. As you know, there is an open drain that separates this service road from the ORR. A crane was trying to clear the debris off the drain today morning, and it accidentally dislocated a slab that covers the drain near the signal. With the debris lying on the roads, motorists may not see the dislocated slab with its edges protruding out, or the open drain itself.
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:51   #5112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There was an update on Bangalore Traffic Police FB page that the underpass will be blocked for some repair. I guess it was put on Saturday.
Traffic is still blocked going towards Silk Board Junction. From the looks of it, it will remain that way for a few days. Traffic still flows the other way though.

The police has taken to randomly blocking the overpass the other way (from Silk Board) though. So be prepared for a jam as vehicles wait to take a right on to St. John's Hospital road.

I dropped my car off at Trend (a separate post on that) and the Koramangala stretch took me an hour to navigate yesterday en route to Indiranagar!
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 08:52   #5113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Are they demolishing the entire mall? How about the other buildings next to it? There is an apartment, an old Infosys building and a Kalyana Mantapa around the mall.

I believe the entire mall, and the apts next to it are going. No idea about the Infosys bldng and the kalyana mantap. Apparently the new multi story buildings on the west side of Bannerghatta Road in Bilekahalli near the JP Nagar Ring Road junction are also going to be torn down.

I was told an elevated metro way will run along the center of Bannerghatta Road, like it does now on Kanakapura Road. I die a thousand times a day thinking of the mess it's going to create. Hopefully the widening will happen prior to Metro construction, but I was told by a source that widening and Metro work will happen concurrently.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2013, 10:12   #5114
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A BMTC bus has broken down in front of Himagiri Meadows, resulting in the blocking of the lane towards Meenakshi Temple. Vehicles have to use the same lane and already a massive jam has formed blocking both sides.
Ok, now i know why there was a huge queue till NICE road junction. As soon as I saw this queue, I took the side roads to reach the junction near Meenakshi Temple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Hopefully the widening will happen prior to Metro construction, but I was told by a source that widening and Metro work will happen concurrently.
Do they have any alternate routes in plan especially towards Jeyadeva/Dairy circle? Anyways, its going to be a real mess.
Old 23rd October 2013, 11:01   #5115
Senior - BHPian

A BMTC bus had a breakdown just before the Silk Board flyover, towards Madiwala. It was seen holding up traffic from Bommanahalli signal as well as from BETL. The bus was stranded on the right most lane, and I saw stones kept around it, supposedly to "warn" others.

At around the same time I passed the bus (around 09:45hrs), I saw a biker falling on the road on the lane towards Bommanahalli. A Kallada Volvo braked hard - either the bus knocked the biker, or it stopped seeing the biker fall down. Anybody got more info?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks