Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2013, 23:36   #5326
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Some good news (at least for time being not sure how long it will last though )
The stretch on Old Madras Road from the traffic signal at RMZ Millenia junction (ulsoor lake) to the traffic signal at 100 ft Road junction
has got a fresh layer of asphalt and it was nice to drive this stretch today unlike in last 7-8 months or so when it was a slow, rough ride.
The stretch from Tin Factory to Whitefield on Old Madras Road needs a new layer of Asphalt. But yeah i remember the road right in front of RMZ Millenia. Wonder how it remained like this for such a long time, especially since RMZ owner's son parks his Nissan GTR in Millenia most of the time. I remember a killer sounding exhaust on it though, saw him taking it out once about 3 years ago.
Old 17th December 2013, 08:30   #5327
BHPian

Saw an Indica Cab which had met with an accident on the entrance of the agara flyover at 06:30 AM

Strangely the Indica cab was in the wrong direction and on the edge where the flyover starts when coming from silkboard.

There was no other vehicle there, hope they have moved the Cab before the peek over traffic.

Regards
Old 17th December 2013, 08:39   #5328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Strangely the Indica cab was in the wrong direction and on the edge where the flyover starts when coming from silkboard.
I guess the cab hit the flyover railing on the right & spun over.
Old 17th December 2013, 09:17   #5329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I guess the cab hit the flyover railing on the right & spun over.
Mostly likely this must be the case as the right side of the cab was damaged. Wonder what speed he was driving to do a 180 degree turn.

Regards
Old 17th December 2013, 09:21   #5330
BHPian

Yup, saw the hit at 6:25. The discussion at the spot was that the cab hit the starting of the fly-over and turned turtle.

The press guys should focus on WHY the cab hit the median rather than anything else.
Old 17th December 2013, 21:25   #5331
Senior - BHPian

The flyover near Carmelaram is a few months away from completion. Since the pillars are completed, they have opened the level crossing for cars too, but not any bigger vehicles. But the one kilometre stretch is very bad and we all know that it will never be fixed.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 10:13   #5332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
The flyover near Carmelaram is a few months away from completion. Since the pillars are completed, they have opened the level crossing for cars too, but not any bigger vehicles. But the one kilometre stretch is very bad and we all know that it will never be fixed.
This is good news, if it means some of the Carmelaram traffic is getting offloaded back into the main Sarjapur road.

On the road quality, I was expecting some kind of re-tarring to happen along Carmelaram - Gunjur - Varthur, but only bare minimum patches have been done, that too once we enter Varthur town and the bridge, nothing at all done before that! The road along Gunjur is in pathetic shape right now, and involves taking a 'racing line' to avoid hitting some mammoth potholes.

I guess they will just wait it out until the railway crossing flyover gets done and avoid fixing the Gunjur - Varthur stretch altogether. Anyway not many will use the Gunjur route after the flyover opens up, plus no more rains now till April-May to worsen the potholes, so why bother investing on repair work until next monsoon?
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 10:36   #5333
Senior - BHPian

The first citizen of Bangalore, the Hon. Mayor Mr. Katta Sathyanarayana is now active on facebook. Citizens could post complaints/suggestions related to civic issues in their areas directly to his 'wall' .
Here is the link to the page/profile: https://www.facebook.com/katte.sathya?fref=ts

He does seem to be very active, commenting on most of the posts. Some other information regarding whom to contact in case of road related/BWSSB related complaints etc are provided in the page.
You could also send him an email at mayorbangalore@gmail.com to bring his attention to civic issues in your area.
sandsun7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 11:46   #5334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
The road along Gunjur is in pathetic shape right now, and involves taking a 'racing line' to avoid hitting some mammoth potholes.
Maintaining racing line is not enough to avoid pot holes from last week. They have become so wide that whatever line I maintain, one of the wheel definitely goes inside the square pot holes. Even Vettel cannot avoid hitting the pot holes with his racing lines. Only Nano and similar sized vehicles can avoid it now.

I guess you are not aware of the situation beyond Gunjur towards Dommasandra since you take a right at Gunjur. There is a straight, downhill, runway kind of stretch for about 1 km after which there is a sharp right turn. Even loaded lorries maintain 80 kmph at this stretch. As soon as you take the sharp right turn, there is a huge square pot hole that is twice the width of lorries with depth of around 2-3 ft. It completely takes the new drivers by surprise. I have already seen a lorry going inside it and getting toppled and another one with its goods thrown across the road. I'm not sure how many tyres and suspensions it has claimed. Its present from last 2-3 months but no action has been taken by the authorities.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 18th December 2013 at 11:50.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 12:28   #5335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
..Its present from last 2-3 months but no action has been taken by the authorities.
Wrong
The authorities were kind enough to fill up that massive pothole with concrete. They were also kind enough not to block the traffic from going over the still-unset concrete. Since this caused unevenness in the concrete surface, they showed more mercy and removed it. Now we have what looks like a dry lake bed and acts as an excellent speed breaker immediately after the sharp turn. If it rains, I am sure elephants from Kolar will come to have a bath there.

For some time, cops would wait in the evenings with an interceptor opposite Gunjur Shani temple. But I think this "dry lake bed" became a fly in the ointment, so the interceptor can no longer be found around Gunjur.

I have memorised which potholes cause least damage to the car, and drive accordingly. I hope they don't fill up the potholes again. I don't want to strain my brain to memorise which patches are least damaging to my car.

By the way, a head-on collision almost occured today morning between a Cruze and a taxi Xylo in Gunjur. I was following a Cruze and we were headed towards Varthur. This Xylo was trying to overtake two trucks in front of it, on the opposite side (coming from Varthur). He came to our lane, then saw huge potholes and swerved further towards his right, which was our left. I thought he would crash into the Cruze in front of me and I stopped. I lost the sight of Xylo as he was exactly in front of Cruze. I have no clue how he managed to avoid hitting those trucks or the Cruze!
rohanjf is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 12:42   #5336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If it rains, I am sure elephants from Kolar will come to have a bath there.

Quote:
By the way, a head-on collision almost occured today morning between a Cruze and a taxi Xylo in Gunjur. I was following a Cruze and we were headed towards Varthur. This Xylo was trying to overtake two trucks in front of it, on the opposite side (coming from Varthur). He came to our lane, then saw huge potholes and swerved further towards his right, which was our left. I thought he would crash into the Cruze in front of me and I stopped. I lost the sight of Xylo as he was exactly in front of Cruze. I have no clue how he managed to avoid hitting those trucks or the Cruze!
I see this kind of morons everyday on that road. The other problem is with the expensive chauffeur driven vehicles which drop school kids to TISB, Greenwood High and other such schools. These vehicles will be driven very sedately while dropping the kids in the morning. Once they drop the school kids and return, they test the capabilities of these expensive vehicles on this stretch. I have seen many F-Type, E-Class, 5 series driven like auto after dropping the kids. I have once given piece of my mind to one of the E-class chauffeur who had a narrow miss with my car near Varthur. From then onwards, he gives me a salute whenever I pass him in the mornings .

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 18th December 2013 at 12:54.
guyfrmblr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 13:14   #5337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasn't bigger vehicles prohibited on that road all the time? No one followed that before and not sure if they will officially allow bigger vehicles to use the flyover.
Old 18th December 2013, 13:57   #5338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Wasn't bigger vehicles prohibited on that road all the time? No one followed that before and not sure if they will officially allow bigger vehicles to use the flyover.
Right. Bigger vehicles were never allowed. However, drivers of some bigger vehicles coming from Sarjapur side towards city, overlook all the signs from Kodathi till Decathlon and reach the construction area. Only then they find the height-limiting crossbar. Then they do all kinds of circus to reverse their vehicles, blocking all the traffic.

Since this 1 km stretch has no road, the whole area has dust all around. Playing at Decathlon has become difficult now. Even half the products of Decathlon are covered in dust. I hope they sell these products on 80% discount soon

On Monday, a crane was digging a moat on one side of the flyover. I hope it is stormwater drain. Let's hope there are no floods there when it drizzles, like it happens inside the city.

As far as limiting the size of vehicles using the flyover, I don't think that's going to happen. This flyover is very similar to the flyover near Kadugodi train station. A 4-lane road leading to a 2-lane flyover, even as the flyover is a key link.

I don't want to imagine having to follow an overloaded truck doing 10 kmph on the flyover.
Old 19th December 2013, 19:12   #5339
Senior - BHPian

KR Puram to Ramamurthynagar signal Ring road stretch has been patched up now. But, not a full job.
The major potholes and ditches have been covered. There was one bad patch at the begining and end of the flyover, both are patched up. On the whole, it is still a rough ride since the small cracks and potholes are still undone.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 19:49   #5340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
KR Puram to Ramamurthynagar signal Ring road stretch has been patched up now. But, not a full job.
The major potholes and ditches have been covered. There was one bad patch at the begining and end of the flyover, both are patched up. On the whole, it is still a rough ride since the small cracks and potholes are still undone.
Yes came through this stretch today. Well it's much better than before. But the kind of work done looks like it won't last even a month!

Once nagawara is sorted out, the drive from kr puram to hebbal will be a breeze I'm sure!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks