Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2014, 22:08   #5461
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

@fineyp and @vishnu.csk:
B'lore seems to be in a holiday mood this week.

It's not only the BMTC and autoricshaw drivers, it's the two wheelers too: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post3347769 (example)
nareshov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 22:13   #5462
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I think Delhi, in the 'civilized' parts of Lutyens Delhi atleast, is quite organized.
Chandigarh is absolutely superb.
Bombay, though very crowded, is disciplined, at least in South Bombay.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 09:44   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
I was there in Bangalore last week for 4 days. I drove my brother's car there and I found the traffic sense to be very good. Please drive on Chennai roads and you will see one of the worst traffic sense by everyone(cabs, Private cars, buses, autos, bikes etc.). Even though the traffic seems to be very high in Bangalore I see a lot of patient drivers. I started from Forum mall, Koramangala to Bannerghatta at around 6.30pm last Monday and reached my house by around 8.15pm. The traffic was too hectic but no one honked unnecessarily and everyone seemed to follow lane rules (even the yellow boards seem to drive carefully). Everyone in my family praised Bangalore traffic condition. I don't know if I might sound stupid but this is what I observed.

Remember there was a joke about a person who dies and is asked to choose between hell and heaven . He sees people playing and making merry in hell and heaven was too boring with stupid musical instruments . He chooses hell over heaven only to discover that it was all an illusion .?? remember ?

What you experienced was something similar . An illusion !!
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 12:00   #5464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
I was there in Bangalore last week for 4 days. I drove my brother's car there and I found the traffic sense to be very good.
Er... are we all talking of the same Bangalore? :-) I drive in Chennai and Bangalore regularly, and believe me - there is no comparison. Driving sense and law enforcement are both an order of magnitude higher in Chennai than in Bangalore. I can only assume you visited here during the off-season (Pongal hols) time - rest assured, the roads of Bangalore are supreme examples of lawlessness and rowdyism that mere words cannot describe.
binand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 12:24   #5465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Er... are we all talking of the same Bangalore? :-) I drive in Chennai and Bangalore regularly, and believe me - there is no comparison. Driving sense and law enforcement are both an order of magnitude higher in Chennai than in Bangalore. I can only assume you visited here during the off-season (Pongal hols) time - rest assured, the roads of Bangalore are supreme examples of lawlessness and rowdyism that mere words cannot describe.

+1, Having spent 20 years in Chennai from childhood & close to 10 years in Bangalore. I can safely say that at-least inside the city limits, Chennai has better governance framework in place, that is the reason why it is one of the metro cities in India.

Bangalore inside city limits.
1.) Traffic lights switched off (or) not working properly during peak hours
2.) Roads lack lane marking (e.g.) ORR
3.) Unscientific road planning (e.g.) service roads
4.) Lack of law enforcement - vehicles breaking signals, heavy vehicles inside city, driving on wrong side.
5.) Infrastructure development motivated by real estate lobby.
6.) Fear of being rear ended by a truck, run over by bus while crossing or walking on the road.
7.) Premature caving on newly laid roads

Every time I say this to my wife (brought up in Bangalore), she refuses to accept.
Mr_Bean is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 12:28   #5466
BHPian

This morning, the stretch between Big Bazaar old madras road to the railway underpass before Pai Layout/entrance to outer ring road was completely blocked for about 1.5 hours. the reason? There was an inauguration ceremony for 'repair of road' cum a political rally!

Wow! A Monday morning is the best time to do this!
Old 20th January 2014, 15:22   #5467
Distinguished - BHPian

The CBI Road starting from CBI office to the HMT ground was chocked end to end. Not sure what caused this sort of jam, the road is usually busy with slow moving traffic this was something new I saw.

A case of road repair or broken down heavy vehicle.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2014, 23:29   #5468
BHPian

One ramp of the nagavara flyover is complete and open to public. It's two way traffic. It's now a breeze to drive from hebbal to kr puram.
Old 21st January 2014, 12:00   #5469
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
One ramp of the nagavara flyover is complete and open to public. It's two way traffic. It's now a breeze to drive from hebbal to kr puram.
Is the other lane still under construction?Any idea when it will be open completely?
Old 21st January 2014, 12:11   #5470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilg33 View Post
Sunil - Am not sure how do you say it is a breeze because you know you are entering a grid lock soon at K R Puram

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Pai Layout/entrance to outer ring road was completely blocked for about 1.5 hours. the reason? There was an inauguration ceremony for 'repair of road' cum a political rally!
How do you make your work visible - Cause enough pain seems to be the motto here

I saw this as I drove past the vehicles at 8:00am and realized the mayhem after wards. Forewarned people I know about the traffic situation.

After road repair (if I dare call that so) the loose gravel brake test was in full flow today morning !!

And here is my rant

Gift for following traffic rules

1. Driving on west of chord
2. Stop at Traffic light at Vatal Nagaraj rd Intersection since it was RED
3. Light turns green decide to move forward - Start moving
4. At this point a lady in a 2 wheeler thinks she is immortal and decides that she is wasting her valuable time at the red traffic light as she was getting late to work
5. I brake hard to avoid imbecile watching my rear view mirrors
6. Fate strikes in the form of a 2 wheeler who argues that I shouldn't have stopped
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20140117_130052.jpg

And the lady ensure her presence isn't obvious

End of rant !!
Old 21st January 2014, 13:18   #5471
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is the other lane still under construction?Any idea when it will be open completely?
Construction of the other lane is yet to be started and I think it will take another 6 months at least to complete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Sunil - Am not sure how do you say it is a breeze because you know you are entering a grid lock soon at K R Puram
I say its a breeze because I exit from the ORR near kammanahalli flyover so its a big relief for me. Now I am able to cover the distance from gorguntepalya to kammanahalli(Around 14 kms) in 20-25 minutes. If there is a railway crossing between BEL Circle and gorguntepalya the time gets multiplied by 2.
Old 21st January 2014, 15:34   #5472
BHPian

Came across this one yesterday at one of the signals in B'lore. People can go “extra mile" to follow the traffic rules

Scene-1 : MB trying to get ahead when the traffic signal is Red, sensing there is no oncoming traffic jumps the line and makes his move (This is service road and traffic is allowed in both directions, for some distance there are barricades for some good reasons, and the people are patiently waiting in left lane for the signal to clear)

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20140120_092252.jpg

Scene-2 : While maneuvering ahead, half way through the signal turns green for the oncoming traffic and this guy is struck. What does he do ? Stops the car, gets down moves the barricade, makes some space & squeezes his car to the next lane.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20140120_092718.jpg

Money can buy many things, but definitely not traffic sense.

Cheers !!!!
Milestone is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 19:59   #5473
BHPian

@Milestone -us thus the Hosa road junction on Hosur road? If so, I've see very similar behaviour especially from luxury car drivers. You'd expect they got their riches through intelligence and hard work but it's not so.
Old 21st January 2014, 21:02   #5474

Drove my bicycle to the office today. Good fun as it's 7.5 km one way. Lesson learnt. Rants on traffic are directly proportional to the vehicles you drive. Breezed past the traffic. Only problem. Need to find a shower and change at office. Guess that can be arranged.
Old 21st January 2014, 21:20   #5475
BHPian

The road adjoining Sankey tank was completed barricaded last week. This has split the road into 1 lane for users from Cauvery theatre side to Malleshwaram and 2 lanes in the other direction. This is really good for travelers towards Malleshwaram, otherwise during peak hours it was a mess as oncoming traffic used all of road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks