Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2014, 14:24   #5506
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post

Since Monday, I decided to drive in the center lane to let pass the anxious ones from the right and the left.

The best and safest lane inside the city would be the right most lane. Vehicles (autos, bmtc volvos, intercity buses, cabs, sumos) are always in a hurry and try to overtake from middle or left most lane.
Old 7th February 2014, 14:29   #5507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
The best and safest lane inside the city would be the right most lane. Vehicles (autos, bmtc volvos, intercity buses, cabs, sumos) are always in a hurry and try to overtake from middle or left most lane.
Agreed!

However, on this stretch, there is a right-turn (with signal) that leads to JC Road and then 4 more right-turns, mostly used by recklessly driven tempos and trucks ferrying goods from the godowns to the shops on JC Road. These drivers do not look anywhere, but straight. Expecting them to switch on their headlights at 7:15 pm is like expecting the sun to rise from the West!!

So I prefer the center-lane in order to avoid vehicles turning suddenly from either of the 3 lanes to take these right-turns.

I would in fact prefer the left-lane to avoid all vehicles turning right, but that lane (the left lane) joins from Richmond road, so I have to cross 2 lanes to reach the left most lane, inconveniencing many.

This road is one-way all the way to lalbaug west-gate.

Last edited by Safety is Param : 7th February 2014 at 14:38.
Old 8th February 2014, 12:45   #5508
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like the rail over bridge on sarjapur road will be opened today. Was decked up with flexes and arrangements for an official inauguration was in progress. I had assumed this was still a few months from completion. Seems to be a proper 4 lane fly over. Will really help folks traveling this route .
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th February 2014, 13:21   #5509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj
Looks like the rail over bridge on sarjapur road will be opened today. Was decked up with flexes and arrangements for an official inauguration was in progress. I had assumed this was still a few months from completion. Seems to be a proper 4 lane fly over. Will really help folks traveling this route .
Thats good. I took that road below flyover last Sunday and tarring was complete on one side. Looks like this work completed real fast.
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 21:34   #5510
Senior - BHPian

I returned to Bangalore after a three week break. My taxi almost hit a well dressed middle aged man trying get his Scooty from opposite side of the road to our side by pushing it over the new median in the new airport road.

I also noticed that the traffic going towards airport was blocked by police. Later I spotted a convoy of some politicians that had a VW Touran and Toyota Commuter.

Flyover across railway line near Decalthon is now open. It is not single lane as we feared. But I think overtaking a truck would be difficult. we won't have to worry about oncoming traffic because of the median.

Oh wait. Some bikers may go on the wrong side to avoid riding 100 metres extra.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 11:45   #5511
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Flyover across railway line near Decalthon is now open. It is not single lane as we feared. But I think overtaking a truck would be difficult. we won't have to worry about oncoming traffic because of the median.

Oh wait. Some bikers may go on the wrong side to avoid riding 100 metres extra.
Good to know this is now open! Any pics? Am curious to see how they have utilised the space on the sides.

I remember being stuck at this gate for really long periods of time during my commutes. Hopefully things should be much better for those using this road now.
Old 10th February 2014, 21:42   #5512
BHPian

The pedestrian crossing signals introduced recently at Kadubeesanahalli and Kalyannagar in outer ring road is a godsend. It has reduced the dangers of crossing the road, especially for the not so able bodied individuals. It is high time BTP introduce one near Manyata tech park as well. With the Nagavara flyover now open, it is almost an unending stream of traffic which makes road crossing a real danger there. In the mornings I see traffic wardens/security folks helping people cross the road, but you are on your own in the evenings, atleast after 7 PM.
motorsan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 00:12   #5513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsan View Post
The pedestrian crossing signals introduced recently at Kadubeesanahalli and Kalyannagar in outer ring road is a godsend.
Don't you think, it has defeated the purpose of an underpass (Kadubeesanahalli) and will defeat at Nagwara flyover ?

Me being a citizen and pedestrian, feel that it is a welcome move, but a very short term. I have seen traffic jams under the flyover at Kadubeesanahalli at 10 am in the morning. The hold up simply due to pedestrian crossing. Peak Hour Traffic + Pedestrian Crossing. Deadly Combo.

What would have been appreciative of BBMP (or whoever responsible), if they had put up a Foot Over Bridge (FOB). Traffic moves non-stop, and pedestrian crosses the road with ease. Ofcourse, you would say, what about Disabled / Elderly people ? Well, an escalater would make up for some help. We live in an IT City and pay huge taxes. Can't the damn civic authority do this much to help the tax payers ?

PS: How badly I want a FOB infront of Ecospace. Someone's gonna get killed at this spot, real soon. Hopefully the civic authority wake up. Unless, we sacrifice our life, nothing works.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 10:30   #5514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Ofcourse, you would say, what about Disabled / Elderly people ? Well, an escalater would make up for some help.
A minor nitpick - world over, escalators are considered quite unfriendly to the elderly and the differently abled. I think you meant elevators.
Old 11th February 2014, 10:54   #5515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
A minor nitpick - world over, escalators are considered quite unfriendly to the elderly and the differently abled. I think you meant elevators.
There are those slanting belt type escalators what we see in super markets having multiple floors where we can carry the trolley on the escalator. That would help. But the flip side is they need to be longer than a normal escalator to counter the rapid increase in elevation . Definitely possible
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:15   #5516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't you think, it has defeated the purpose of an underpass (Kadubeesanahalli) and will defeat at Nagwara flyover ?

Me being a citizen and pedestrian, feel that it is a welcome move, but a very short term. I have seen traffic jams under the flyover at Kadubeesanahalli at 10 am in the morning. The hold up simply due to pedestrian crossing. Peak Hour Traffic + Pedestrian Crossing. Deadly Combo.

What would have been appreciative of BBMP (or whoever responsible), if they had put up a Foot Over Bridge (FOB). Traffic moves non-stop, and pedestrian crosses the road with ease. Ofcourse, you would say, what about Disabled / Elderly people ? Well, an escalater would make up for some help. We live in an IT City and pay huge taxes. Can't the damn civic authority do this much to help the tax payers ?

PS: How badly I want a FOB infront of Ecospace. Someone's gonna get killed at this spot, real soon. Hopefully the civic authority wake up. Unless, we sacrifice our life, nothing works.
You have a point - but i have seen FOBs in indiranagar and some other locations being hardly used. People still prefer to cross the road rather than taking pains to climb up and down. If someone puts a FOB, there needs to be a policeman fining people for jaywalking.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:34   #5517
BHPian

Quote:
Don't you think, it has defeated the purpose of an underpass (Kadubeesanahalli) and will defeat at Nagwara flyover ? ... What would have been appreciative of BBMP (or whoever responsible), if they had put up a Foot Over Bridge (FOB). Traffic moves non-stop, and pedestrian crosses the road with ease.
It has absolutely defeated the purpose of removing the earlier traffic signal. Outer Ring Road is a heavy traffic mover and should be completely signal free. Shows the lack of planning by authorities. FOB should have been constructed along with underpass.

Quote:
How badly I want a FOB infront of Ecospace. Someone's gonna get killed at this spot, real soon. Hopefully the civic authority wake up. Unless, we sacrifice our life, nothing works.
Exactly my thoughts. My office window faces this spot, and I see the horror everyday. People have been given official notices to cross road under flyovers on either side, but I guess saving 5 minutes is more important than their lives. Authorities again don't give a damn for people's lives, and will construct FOB only after someone is martyred.
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:34   #5518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
You have a point - but i have seen FOBs in indiranagar and some other locations being hardly used. People still prefer to cross the road rather than taking pains to climb up and down. If someone puts a FOB, there needs to be a policeman fining people for jaywalking.
For FOB to work, it must be easier than walking across the road. So make walking across the road impossible. Erect 5ft barricade on the divider. Seal the road 50m on the either side of FOB so nobody gets on to the road near FOB. This is the way it is wherever FOB are used anywhere in the world.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:37   #5519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
For FOB to work, it must be easier than walking across the road. So make walking across the road impossible. Erect 5ft barricade on the divider. Seal the road 50m on the either side of FOB so nobody gets on to the road near FOB. This is the way it is wherever FOB are used anywhere in the world.
This is India we are talking about. People have a way to overcome all these barriers we are talking about - i have seen 2-wheelers crossing 2 ft dividers on highways. Only deterent which works here is the sight of a policeman.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2014, 11:50   #5520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
This is India we are talking about. People have a way to overcome all these barriers we are talking about - i have seen 2-wheelers crossing 2 ft dividers on highways. Only deterent which works here is the sight of a policeman.
India or anywhere, attitude of people are same. If people can cross 2ft, then the height is short. Having police men (with their salary + retirement benefits) everywhere is not practical. Infrastructure must take care of these minor issues.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed