Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2014, 12:19   #5536
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Seeing the shoddy quality of the flyover surface, you'd be forgiven for thinking this flyover existed prior to the widening of Sarjapur road! Thanks for the pics, Rohan.
Bangalore mirror carried a full page article on this flyover. It seems that this is the only project in history of railways to get completed before schedule. Fastest construction of railway bridge in India. Target was 18months but it was ready in 13 months.

Railways said they will follow this flyover model across India.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 18:01   #5537
BHPian

Is there a limit to the number of yellow-board cabs/suvs/minibus/bus that can ply in Bangalore? It's maddening to be stuck in a traffic jam at 10:30 in the night (near KR Puram/ Mahadevpura junction). And I kid you not...I did count as many vehicles that I could and about 85 percent of them were yellow-board cabs and SUVs.
Old 13th February 2014, 19:32   #5538
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Blame it on the time & and incidentally I too was stuck in the same jam around same time yesterday night. If you noticed, the culprit was an Indicab that had broken down next to median (as usual) blocking a lane.

Apart from that I have noticed that the truck traffic which is almost negligible till 8PM increases as they are left loose to get into ORR by the cops and add to the traffic woes.

Despite of the Flyovers and Underpasses at all the junctions from KR Puram towards Hebbal, you would see crawling trucks on almost every lane make things worse for the private cars and faster vehicles.

The Ring road in Bangalore is no more a ring road and its high time every freight truck bypassing Bangalore must be forced to take the NICE road or other alternatives.

Its sad to see so many trucks round the clock even in city limits whereas other cities which are facing severe traffic problem have a very strict rule for trucks Entry-Exit timings.

Take a look at Madiwala underpass on a Friday. All lanes on both sides become a makeshift Private bus stop for hours creating havoc.

Regarding your assessment on the maximum number or vehicles being cabs around that time, well that holds true due to the shift timings and folks wanting to use the company provided transport.

I have noticed that if you follow a strict 9-6 regime, you will find very less number of cabs to irritate you on roads (of course you will still have Wipro, Infy, TCS and HCL buses to tackle) and its usually post 10:00PM where the cabbies rule the roads.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 20:08   #5539
Senior - BHPian

The RTO (probably) at HSR is causing massive choking of roads between the Nando's junction and HSR Flyover stretch.

Earlier, all vehicles would have been lined up for RTO work, on the Service Lane. But I guess the Mantri apartment nearby have put pressure to keep clear of service road. Hence the vehicles are getting lined and piled up on the main road. See the picture below, taken at 7:30 AM. I wonder what kind of jam it would be creating at 9 AM ?

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20140223451.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20140223452.jpg

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th February 2014 at 15:02. Reason: Use of abusive language directly or indirectly is not permitted on the forum
Old 13th February 2014, 20:47   #5540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The RTO (probably) at HSR is causing massive choking of roads between the Nando's junction and HSR Flyover stretch.

Earlier, all vehicles would have been lined up for RTO work, on the Service Lane. But I guess the Mantri apartment nearby have put pressure to keep clear of service road. Hence the vehicles are getting lined and piled up on the main road. See the picture below, taken at 7:30 AM. I wonder what kind of jam it would be creating at 9 AM ?
You sure they have lined up for RTO work? From experience of traveling on ORR, I believe most of these trucks are lined up by the traffic cops during peak hours (8-11am) and (5-8pm) so that they dont choke up the traffic.

I see similar queues near NTBL (Tumkur road) and Hebbal in the mornings and evenings as well.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th February 2014 at 15:02. Reason: Editing quoted post.
Old 13th February 2014, 21:01   #5541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
You sure they have lined up for RTO work?

Is there a RTO Office in that area ? Can someone confirm that ? If yes, then this is definitely a RTO mess that is being created.

Yes, I am 100% sure that it's the RTO work. Reason being, apart from heavy vehicles, I see Cabs, SUV's and other small vehicles (like Tata Ace, etc) also lined up. Few of them are brand new and a few are old ones.

Today, I also saw RTO officials (most likely) dressed in white and holding some papers, and people surrounding him and others.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2014, 22:16   #5542
Team-BHP Support

The RTO keeps a checkpost there randomly sometimes to catch vehicles.

The trucks are parked there as they cannot enter Hosur road till 11am. The same happens in the evening on Hosur road. Trucks are piled up before Hosa road junction as they are not allowed beyond till after 8pm.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2014, 06:52   #5543
Team-BHP Support

Great to note that the flyover is up. Just hope whatever is the quality, the bridge holds on.
Old 14th February 2014, 10:13   #5544
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

It is a good development but if you notice there are a couple of irritating four leaf junctions en route to this flyover from say, the Kaikondrahalli lake.
Those junctions are horrible bottlenecks. Especially the one near that school and the other which leads towards Lakeshore homes and the third one which is near those marble shops.

Basically Sarjapura Road is a small, villagey sort of road that has grown massively in the last 10 years. The sheer amounts of traffic it handles will ensure that this Flyover also gets choked in a matter of months.

The trouble here in Bengalooru the Brilliant, is that we are building things for the past, rather than for the future. In this way, we will always be behind the curve on the actual current need state at any point in time. Thats the beauty of it!
Old 14th February 2014, 10:34   #5545
BHPian

For those taking the Graphite India road, there is a BWSSB drainage work which has started in that road affecting traffic.
While coming from Hoodi towards Kundalahalli, I used take the right turn before Shell Bunk, which joins the road behind Graphite India.
The road has been dug up in the 2nd Main road indicated in the map below.

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...via=1&t=m&z=15

Expect bottlenecks around this area for the next few months, especially at the junction near Keys Hotel.
Old 14th February 2014, 10:56   #5546
Senior - BHPian

Heading back home from work yesterday, I am on the four lane section on old madras road closing in on TC Palya bus stop. For the last two weeks in a row, I have found the Interceptor Tavera in place a little after the new KR Puram RTO office. I over take these two blokes on a Honda CBR250. As usual, no lid. After I get ahead of them, I slow down due to the Interceptor. I am doing around 45kmph and the CBR chaps are doing around 55kmph so they end up getting ahead of me. In the distance, I can see the traffic cop coming on to the middle of the highway to stop the CBR chaps. They are not trying to avoid the traffic cop in any way. As they get closer to the traffic cop, the cop gestures for them to keep going. What is this? Two things that I can think off are, the chaps on the CBR are local goons (they sure looked like the type) so are allowed to proceed, the Interceptor chaps are not bothered about helmet-less motorcycle riders. All they are bothered about is if you are at 51kmph when the speed limit is 50kmph.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 14th February 2014 at 10:57.
Old 14th February 2014, 12:32   #5547
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Bangalore mirror carried a full page article on this flyover. It seems that this is the only project in history of railways to get completed before schedule. Fastest construction of railway bridge in India. Target was 18months but it was ready in 13 months.

Railways said they will follow this flyover model across India.
While this is very good news for us as road users and for the Railways a great achievement, may we also remind the Railways about another bridge that it is under construction for a very long time on the Old Byappanahalli Road. This road connects to the Byappanahalli Goods Terminal & Banaswadi and there is a Railway line that cuts across the road. A turn near the railway line (road parallel to railway line) also leads to Cox Town. This road when completed will be a good alternate to congested Old Madras Road. Currently the bottleneck is the railway line crossing.

Right now the top section of the bridge is being constructed so high above the railway line that it will need ramps that start from quite a long distance away and there is absolutely no sign any efforts being made in that direction

Last edited by NPV : 14th February 2014 at 12:34.
Old 14th February 2014, 13:34   #5548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Right now the top section of the bridge is being constructed so high above the railway line that it will need ramps that start from quite a long distance away
That is possibly because this line needs to cater to goods trains with containers stacked one on top of another.
Old 14th February 2014, 13:39   #5549
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is possibly because this line needs to cater to goods trains with containers stacked one on top of another.
Sure but no there is no sight of any work in terms of road widening or preparation for the access ramps, I guess that doesn't fall under the Railways scope/responsibility of work!
Which means that BBMP will need to take care of that and as usual there is no coordination among these agencies. I think it will not see light of day anytime soon since land will need to be acquired from the MEG folks and others for this to happen. In all probability, few more months later the bridge will be completed high above the railway line with no way to use it!
Old 14th February 2014, 13:44   #5550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
While this is very good news for us as road users and for the Railways a great achievement, may we also remind the Railways about another bridge that it is under construction for a very long time on the Old Byappanahalli Road. This road connects to the Byappanahalli Goods Terminal & Banaswadi and there is a Railway line that cuts across the road. A turn near the railway line (road parallel to railway line) also leads to Cox Town. This road when completed will be a good alternate to congested Old Madras Road. Currently the bottleneck is the railway line crossing.

Right now the top section of the bridge is being constructed so high above the railway line that it will need ramps that start from quite a long distance away and there is absolutely no sign any efforts being made in that direction
As far as I heard, the work on one side has not even started because of the Army land issue.
On the other side, the ramp is almost complete.
The reason the the middle section is high is because of the difference in the level on either side of the railway line. The approach from Old Madras road to the railway track is a dip and then starts climbing until you reach the other side of the line.

EDIT: Double stack container trains can run only on non-electrified routes.

Last edited by tharian : 14th February 2014 at 13:47.

Most Viewed