Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2014, 15:32   #5551
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Sure but no there is no sight of any work in terms of road widening or preparation for the access ramps, I guess that doesn't fall under the Railways scope/responsibility of work!
That is right. Railways builds (in fact, insists on building) only the section that is directly atop the railway line. The approach ramps are built by local authorities (BBMP etc.). I have seen cases where one agency completed the work but not the other:

- For a long time, the ROB at Kuttipuram in Kerala had only the span above the railway line without the approach ramps.
- For a long time, the widened ROB on SP Road at Kundan Bagh in Hyderabad only had approach ramps; the railway part of the work was stalled for some reason (I think due to complications arising from the fact that the Begumpet railway station was directly below)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
EDIT: Double stack container trains can run only on non-electrified routes.
In any case, the line underneath the ROB in question is the passenger line coming from Bangalore City going towards Krishnarajapuram.
Old 14th February 2014, 18:06   #5552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post

In any case, the line underneath the ROB in question is the passenger line coming from Bangalore City going towards Krishnarajapuram.
It is used for freight as well which goes to Mysore and further to the goods yard at Nanjangud and Chamarajnagar.
Container rakes are very rare.
Old 15th February 2014, 19:01   #5553
Senior - BHPian

I returned last night from the KIAL (Kempegowda Intl Airport Ltd.) formerly known as BIAL.
The newly opened flyovers are a dream!! Started from the airport parking lot at 8.35 pm, reached my home in RT Nagar at 8.57 pm. A cool 22 minutes, 29 kms, driving within the permitted limits, sparse traffic all added up to 22 minutes of bliss.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2014, 23:08   #5554
BHPian

Met with an accident(minor one) a few minutes ago.This occurred on the road that connects Yediyur to Jayanagar(The road starts at the Dose Camp Signal and terminates at the Yediyur bus stop(?)).
I just crossed the former BSNL office driving on the wrong side(On the two laned road.The other lane was getting a fresh layer of tarmac and so was closed).The civic authorities had not installed requisite signboards to indicate that the other lane was temporarily converted into a two laned road but the workers there(Surprised to see the men at work,so late )guided me to the wrong lane and I suddenly spotted two guys on a bike who just overtook a BMTC bus and hurtled towards me.I was in first gear doing about five Km/H so I just stopped but they managed to smack the car's right ORVM(but did not lose balance) and stopped.
They were my age(perhaps a little older) and both of them started hurling abuses and made their way towards my window.I was inside the car and called out 'Yen Guru?',they noticed the men at work on the other lane and the pillion replied 'Nodkond Odsu Guru'(Drive with your eyes open) and left without creating a scene.
I left the scene thanking my stars.
Shyt was an inch away from the fan(I almost called up my friends/area boys).
All this happened as the people in charge were so lackadaisical in discharging their duties.A simple sign could have made things so much easier for us motorists!
Old 18th February 2014, 22:24   #5555
Distinguished - BHPian

Today evening -

A student driver was taking lessons from his instructor this evening. In the busy bangalore roads at 6.30pm, he is on Bannerghatta Road. Its obvious for a student to be nervous on roads at such a peak hour. The car was running in the right most lane, just ahead of me. I patiently followed him for 500-700mtrs. Then suddenly found empty stretch and I could pass the car from left but thought I wont be setting up right example to him by doing so. Hence I flash my headlights asking him to move aside to slower lane.

The signal acknowledged. The student car now gives right turn signal... lol willing to climb on the divider? And then left signal again and then right. This repeats 2-3 times. I loose my patience and overtook from left. Slowed down at next junction and rolled down windows to strike a genuine conversation. in the conversation, student keeps quiet but instructor says - student is right. Giving left signal for me to take right side and left for himself to take left lane! And that takes off all the day's work stress off me! Meanwhile, signal turns green and I show him and return home with wicked smile

This reminds me of the tag line on CEAT advert - the roads are full of idiots!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2014, 23:44   #5556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
I loose my patience and overtook from left. Slowed down at next junction and rolled down windows to strike a genuine conversation. in the conversation, student keeps quiet but instructor says - student is right. Giving left signal for me to take right side and left for himself to take left lane! And that takes off all the day's work stress off me! Meanwhile, signal turns green and I show him and return home with wicked smile

This reminds me of the tag line on CEAT advert - the roads are full of idiots!
OT: almost everyone (including me) crib today that RTO issues license to everyone without checking. I feel controlling this process is very difficult since everyone from grass root level is corrupt. I took up driving school lesson at the age of 18 back in the year 1995 in Mumbai (being born and brought up) and let me tell you, the driving teacher was a real uneducated hooligan who used to always scold me (eating gutka), pester me for Bakshish (gift). But somehow i got my license since driving school was hand in glove with RTO. This was flashback.....

My wife learned driving in Bangalore in the year 2008. Situation was no different except that i ragged the driving teacher for his misbehavior and lack of driving knowledge.

What i wanted to convey? - state transport ministry should make it mandatory for driving schools to recruit driving teachers with basic level of literacy and train them for basic level of mannerism. this can be ensured with surprise inspections and likes? or at least a mechanism in place for driving schools STRICTLY i feel this is easier than stopping corruption at RTO level
lazybrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 04:04   #5557
Senior - BHPian

Good news for ring road users . The stretch between Ramamurthy underpass and KrPuram was being relaid during the night.
This was one road which hasnt seen a fresh layer of asphalt in years and had only patchwork done. Hopefully the opposite lane will be done as well.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 04:57   #5558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Good news for ring road users . The stretch between Ramamurthy underpass and KrPuram was being relaid during the night.
This was one road which hasnt seen a fresh layer of asphalt in years and had only patchwork done. Hopefully the opposite lane will be done as well.
I also hope they extend relay the fly work to KR Puram flyover too. Its been in real bad shape for quite some time.
Old 20th February 2014, 07:39   #5559
BHPian

There was an accident in the front of Mantri Apartment after the Agara Flyover. Looks like a Indica cab rammed a trailer from behind.

I was travelling to office towards Whitefield and the accident was on the opposite direction towards Silkboard. Already there as traffic pile.

hope it doesn't cause much trouble early morning

Regards
Old 20th February 2014, 08:23   #5560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
There was an accident in the front of Mantri Apartment after the Agara Flyover. Looks like a Indica cab rammed a trailer from behind.
I was travelling to office towards Whitefield and the accident was on the opposite direction towards Silkboard. Already there as traffic pile.
hope it doesn't cause much trouble early morning
Regards
That was so bound to happen. See, what I had ranted, exactly a week back.
Its' high time, that the RTO take up a proper place / ground for registration and driving test and other regular tasks. The heavy vehicles parked on the main road are just like big walls for motorists to ram into.
What a pathetic state of affairs. I just hope this is an eye opener for the RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The RTO (probably) at HSR is causing massive choking of roads between the Nando's junction and HSR Flyover stretch.
Earlier, all vehicles would have been lined up for RTO work, on the Service Lane. But I guess the Mantri apartment nearby have put pressure to keep clear of service road. Hence the vehicles are getting lined and piled up on the main road. See the picture below, taken at 7:30 AM. I wonder what kind of jam it would be creating at 9 AM ?
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20140223451.jpg
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-20140223452.jpg

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 20th February 2014 at 08:24. Reason: Typo
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 08:25   #5561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
state transport ministry should make it mandatory for driving schools to recruit driving teachers with basic level of literacy and train them for basic level of mannerism. this can be ensured with surprise inspections and likes? or at least a mechanism in place for driving schools STRICTLY i feel this is easier than stopping corruption at RTO level
The simplest way to ensure that is to tie the school's license to the pass percentage. If more than 20% of the learners who apply for permanent license through a school fail the test, then the school's license should be withdrawn. :-)

This would lead to attempted collusion between the school and the inspectors, but that too can be solved (at some extra effort and cost). One model I was thinking of is to have each learner to go through TWO tests (with separate inspectors). To get a permanent license, you need to pass both. If you fail both you are barred from taking a test again for a year. If you pass one and fail the other, then you take a third test - your final status is the status of that test. The inspector who supervised the original test whose result differed from the final outcome gets a negative point. 5 such negative points in a month and the inspector is taken off test duty (and maybe other procedures).

(There are other collusion possibilities here, but a. they become progressively difficult for the cheaters to implement, and b. the incremental cost of countering them becomes easier. The biggest challenge is to get everyone to take two tests instead of one).
Old 20th February 2014, 09:06   #5562
Distinguished - BHPian

RTO guys have laid a trap for out state registered vehicles at the entrance of Electronic City. As soon as one enters the EC from the signal under the flyover these guys are present just before the HP building
Old 20th February 2014, 09:41   #5563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Right now the top section of the bridge is being constructed so high above the railway line that it will need ramps that start from quite a long distance away and there is absolutely no sign any efforts being made in that direction
Route you are suggesting is good in the morning before 8:00am and after that it is mayhem

Guess binand has answered the reason but I am still curious to find out where would the ramps be - Inside ARMY land ?? This would be next to impossible and hope not

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
That is possibly because this line needs to cater to goods trains with containers stacked one on top of another.
Yep that is the reason
Old 20th February 2014, 09:51   #5564
BHPian

TOI reports today that the Safety Clearance for the metro stretch between Malleshwaram and Peenya has been obtained. Though the govt hasn't given a final date, the TOI report hints at operations beginning from Feb end on this line.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:31   #5565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
That was so bound to happen. See, what I had ranted, exactly a week back. I just hope this is an eye opener for the RTO.
There were numerous minor accidents because of the Trucks/buses lining for RTO.

Many years ago it used to be on the opposite side of the road. I remember few accident on the other side as well, there were complaints and the tamasha was moved from Lake side to the Mantri Servide Road side. Trucks/Buses take u turn with out signal, stop on the road and create lot of issues for other motorists.

Its been going on for good 10 years now, if I remember correctly. I dont have hope that it will change soon unless until some politician or big guy is inconvenienced

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks