Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2014, 21:23   #5746
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Could be the reason. But then, isn't the sky-walk a bit far away from the bus stop towards Hebbal? I hope they move the bus stop (towards Hebbal) to somewhere opposite the Fiat showroom after cutting off the U turn to Sanjaynagar. Till something is done about that bus stop, that area will remain a bottleneck.
I felt the same too. May be its located there because the section where the Bus stop is is already narrow, plus the stairs for this walkway would need good amount of space on the pavement which I think the defence authorities would not easily give?

You know how this stretch is the narrowest, with Bus Stops and merging traffic from top of Mekhri circle and cause the jam all the way from Skoda Show room towards Hebbal.
Old 25th March 2014, 08:26   #5747
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes I feel that the BTP is one funny organization.
I mean they were sleeping over the menace, and one fine morning they woke up and started slaughter house on streets !!

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../32616655.cms?

Quote:
The fine of Rs 100 for anyone caught using his/her mobile phone while driving/riding has proved insignificant, leave alone a deterrent. Traffic police have now decided on a more stringent penalty. The department has decided to recommend cancellation of driving licences of even first-time motorists caught violating the mobile phone rule. Until now, only three-time offenders stood to lose their licences.
Rs.100 fine ? When was that ?
How many people were fined for that. The most common fine is probably, "No PUC certificate" or "Non-KA Reg".
Without helmet would be the least featured fine. Because, all 2 wheeler riders would have their mobiles stuffed under their helmets. So helmet for these riders is a must to hold the phone.
Old 25th March 2014, 08:45   #5748
BHPian

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high

Where our character is not so bad that we do not stop at a red light
Where we do not come on the wrong side of the road because we are lazy to go to a U turn
Where we do not park in the middle of the road because it suits us
Where our auto brothers do not think that that darting in and out is a good thing
Where our two wheeler friends understand that a footpath is for pedestrians
Where our non wheeled sisters understand that running across a road without looking is not good
Where our four legged cousins realise that grazing in the field is better than roaming on the road
Where our elected leaders agree that craters are better suited to the moon than the earth
Where our ears regain their ability to enjoy music rather than Honk Honk
Where we don't have traffic lights on a flyover, or the marvel of the KR Puram bridge
Where the odds of "Pehle Aaap" is at least a little better than winning the lottery

Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my beloved city awake !

- With profound apologies to Gurudev
Old 25th March 2014, 09:36   #5749
BHPian

Cops out in absolute full force all throughout the Old Airport Road stretch starting from Double Road. However the only thing they look like being interested is catching bikers without helmets.

I noticed a lady driving an SUV breaking not one but 2 signals and cops looked the other way. She also decided to go into a one way and came out rather well!
Old 25th March 2014, 10:08   #5750
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Cops out in absolute full force all throughout the Old Airport Road stretch starting from Double Road. However the only thing they look like being interested is catching bikers without helmets.

I noticed a lady driving an SUV breaking not one but 2 signals and cops looked the other way. She also decided to go into a one way and came out rather well!
Saw traffic cops at various points on New Thippasandra Main Road several times last week. With so many cross roads there are several places where one can see folks driving/riding on the wrong side
In one instance, cops were stationed near the Ganesha Temple and there were 2 wheelers who filled up fuel at the BP petrol pump just ahead and seeing the cops, switched off the vehicles and started pushing them (on the wrong side). The cops still ordered them to go back , but a couple of hours later everything was back to 'normal'!
Discipline can't be enforced, it's got to be inculcated in everyone's mind and the will to follow it is with every individual!

Last edited by NPV : 25th March 2014 at 10:09.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:20   #5751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
If the road has been asphalted recently, then may be the lines are yet to be redrawn. Same is the situation now at the pelican crossing near Mehkri circle bus stop on Bellary road. The road was asphalted around 3 weeks ago, but white markings have not been done yet.
The road is older than the signal. The signal was installed, but somebody forgot to sanction the budget for the road painting... or whatever it's called.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:55   #5752
Team-BHP Support

Today, cops were out at 645 am. Before Adugodi, I saw one helmetless scooterist in a dilemma - ride towards the cop or double back illegally on the wrong side of the road.

Looks like they were out to catch helmetless folks early morning
Old 25th March 2014, 11:15   #5753
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember they had similar drives last year also. I guess it was conducted from 06.00 - 08.00 AM. Had read later in news that violation is more at that time due to less number of police on road and they wanted to enforce the rule at that time.
May be a similar drive along with an intention to reach financial year target.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:05   #5754
Senior - BHPian

Seems like cops woke up early today all over Bangalore.

I was at the Doddanekkundi signal at 7.30 AM, and found traffic cops in front of Samsung as well as Soul Space Arena. Then there were many bikes parked, and bikers begging the policemen to let them go.

Oddly, the signal was switched off. Only the amber lights were blinking. This created a lot of chaos at the junction, which helped the cops stop some bikers easily.

And because the signals were switched off, buses could take illegal U-turns easily. No cop was bothered about that!
Old 25th March 2014, 13:36   #5755
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Seems like cops woke up early today all over Bangalore. I was at the Doddanekkundi signal at 7.30 AM, and found traffic cops in front of Samsung as well as Soul Space Arena. Then there were many bikes parked, and bikers begging the policemen to let them go. Oddly, the signal was switched off. Only the amber lights were blinking. This created a lot of chaos at the junction, which helped the cops stop some bikers easily. And because the signals were switched off, buses could take illegal U-turns easily. No cop was bothered about that!
Is Bangalore traffic police managed by some ex-IT employee turned commissioner? Or has it become a company like BESCOM?

Looks like BTP is driven by targets, profit motives, cost reductions and all policies we generally associate with IT sector. No wonder they stand right outside IT offices catching vehicles!
Old 25th March 2014, 15:28   #5756
BHPian

The same way the traffic cops were in full force in BTM 29th main AXA signal at 7:20am. The bikers and cabs going in the wrong side to join the BTM road from the 29th main road were for a surprise.
Old 25th March 2014, 15:59   #5757
Senior - BHPian

This was the reason:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-btpfb2.jpg

As per the post by BTP on their FB page

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Cops out in absolute full force all throughout the Old Airport Road stretch starting from Double Road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Seems like cops woke up early today all over Bangalore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
The same way the traffic cops were in full force in BTM 29th main AXA signal at 7:20am. The bikers and cabs going in the wrong side to join the BTM road from the 29th main road were for a surprise.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 25th March 2014 at 16:01.
sandsun7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 08:39   #5758
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to put up this post yesterday.

Yesterday, I had to return home at around 1:30PM, from Whitefield to BTM. As I approached the Sarjapur flyover, towards Agara, I noticed a huge jam, stretching till Bakasur. Took me over 20 mins to get down the flyover.
Initially I thought it to be an accident. When I came down the flyover, I was in for a major surprise.

A speed hump was being constructed and policemen was watching the show, instead of regulating the traffic.

So, bottomline is - When you come down the Sarjapur flyover, from Bellandur side to Agara side, there is a massive speed hump, near the bus stop.
Please be cautious, as it doesn't have the white stripes yet.
Old 26th March 2014, 10:23   #5759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Forgot to put up this post yesterday.
Please be cautious, as it doesn't have the white stripes yet.
<Rant Start>
White Strips ? you got to be kidding ...show me one speed breaker between marathahalli and jayadeva which has white strip. they've even not leveled the road when they removed the speed breakers in some parts - so effectively still leaving them to break the speed and ofcourse the suspension
<Rant end>
Old 26th March 2014, 10:39   #5760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post
<Rant Start>
White Strips ? you got to be kidding ...show me one speed breaker between marathahalli and jayadeva which has white strip. they've even not leveled the road when they removed the speed breakers in some parts - so effectively still leaving them to break the speed and ofcourse the suspension
<Rant end>
Haahaahaaa... True Story !! But, I no more need the white stripes. I, now remember by heart, the location and the average speed over each of the hump/dump and the spot on the hump/dump to pass over, for minimal jerks.
The ORR is a total mess even after so many hi-fi flyovers. I try to keep my 5th gear active all the time, but fail so after every 500 mts.

Most Viewed