Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2014, 17:37   #6331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Last night, around 9:30, I was returning from EC to Koramangala. Somewhere near the Madiwala junction, an auto with its "hazard lights" on, overtook me, swerved in front of me, nearly pushing me off my bike and moved on. Infuriated, I resolved to give the driver an earful and followed it. Traffic slowed down so I went to the side of the auto and before I could open my helmet, the auto started moving. And again he was driving erratically - he looked like a small time goonda. Hit my left rear view mirror and then he looked at me. I shouted something, raised my hand and went off.

Then started the craziness. The guy started cursing me loudly from the auto and I could clearly hear him rev the auto and come chasing me. I crossed the underpass and just as I was climbing the ramp, he caught up with me and blocked my path. Started calling me names and what not, threatening me. Then only did I notice that his passengers were also joining him in the threats. And they didn't look like passengers but more like his lieutenants.

Deciding that this was not a battle I wanted to fight, I moved my bike to the left and moved off. He still tried to block my way and kept calling me names. But I just told him to let me go and I rode off. Stopped at the St.Johns signal and thought he might turn up to create more trouble. He didn't though.

I saw the same auto at the Forum signal soon after. He was driving erratically and even moved his auto through a red light, onto oncoming traffic and drove off the street in front of Punjab Grill.

Thankfully I'd chosen not to start a fight there. I might not have been in a position to type this now I guess
I would advise you not to tackle such morons especially in the night. As you rightly pointed out, they might be some local thugs. Ultimately we may have to pay the price of our precious life by fighting with those goons.

You did the right thing by backing out.
Old 24th July 2014, 19:17   #6332
BHPian

As they say - the roads are filled with idiots. You did the right thing by not taking them on for a fight. The Auto drivers can be one notorious lot.
Old 24th July 2014, 20:07   #6333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I would advise you not to tackle such morons especially in the night. As you rightly pointed out, they might be some local thugs. Ultimately we may have to pay the price of our precious life by fighting with those goons.

You did the right thing by backing out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eethanhunt View Post
As they say - the roads are filled with idiots. You did the right thing by not taking them on for a fight. The Auto drivers can be one notorious lot.
Yes, I was totally convinced when he blocked me and even more so when his "passengers" joined in that this wasn't worth it. Heck, people have been stabbed and beaten up for less.
Old 25th July 2014, 05:02   #6334
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by eethanhunt View Post
The Auto drivers can be one notorious lot.
Very true. Also, they are like brothers born in different families when one from their clan is in a situation. Even animals have lesser predatory instincts than them.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2014, 09:50   #6335
BHPian

Wish this infamous brotherhood had the same unity to stand up for a cause. That being said I have run into some fine gentlemen as well.
Old 27th July 2014, 03:48   #6336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Last night, around 9:30, I was returning from EC to Koramangala. Somewhere near the Madiwala junction, an auto with its "hazard lights" on, overtook me, swerved in front of me,
Good thing you didn't start a fight Naveen. It was not worth it and you wouldn't have gotten the satisfaction at the end of it.

It's better to pour your rant here than start a fight, especially when the other party has no idea why we are fighting.
satan's_valet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 07:35   #6337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Good thing you didn't start a fight Naveen. It was not worth it and you wouldn't have gotten the satisfaction at the end of it.

It's better to pour your rant here than start a fight, especially when the other party has no idea why we are fighting.
Yeah, thats the most ironic part. I am sure that joker did not even know why I got so angry!
Old 28th July 2014, 10:32   #6338
Senior - BHPian

Since tomorrow is a holiday for many companies, I thought there will be less traffic today.

I was wrong. A whole 25 minutes of wrong.
Instead of leaving home at 7 AM, I left home at 8.30 AM.
Instead of reaching office in 35 minutes, I reached office in one hour. That's the 25 minutes of wrong!

In other news: there was an accident on Tuesday at Dommasandra circle. It caused a massive traffic jam, partly because the 108 ambulance had stopped right in the middle of the junction to pick up the victim.

Yesterday I had a chat with a neighbourhood shopkeeper and he told me that the accident actually took the life of a 21 year old biker. He was in the business of delivering some goods to this shop and a few more in the vicinity.

He had one bad habit: he always wore earphones and listened to music all the time, even while riding. According to the shopkeeper, many times he used to talk to this young chap to place orders, only to find out that he hadn't heard a word!

Shopkeeper said the trucker that crashed into this biker from behind, was honking all the while. I agree that it wasn't biker's fault if a truck crashed from behind. But if he had heard the horn, may be, just may be, he would have revved up his bike enough to move forward and either escape with injury or avoid the accident altogether.

I see many people using earphones while driving. Car drivers have better chance of escaping unhurt when they are rear-ended (unless they are not wearing seatbelts and end up dead after banging their faces on steering wheel - but that's their foolishness).

Bikers being the most vulnerable motorists, should take maximum precautions to stay safe on the road. Many don't, and end up in the statistics.
rohanjf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 11:17   #6339
BHPian

Yesterday night around 11:30 pm, I was heading towards Hebbal. There were few vehicles on the right most lane, then I came across a BWM driving slowly on right most lane. After overtaking the beemer, I moved to right lane with indicator ON. Till then the beemer guy was driving slowly and there was large gap enough for me to move to right lane between front vehicle and his. The moment I showed indicator, this guy started honking and flashing at me. Also I could see he accelerating. I had almost had changed my lane and did not go back to middle lane.

So, this guy over takes me from left side and blocks me for few seconds. Later moves to completely left most lane (as he had to go towards Tumkur road on Hebbal flyover) without any indications.

I have seen this behavior, wherein the moment we put on indicators for lane change or turn, people will accelerate.. honk.. even if they are far behind.

May be people are used to changing lanes / making turns without indications.
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 12:01   #6340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Very true. Also, they are like brothers born in different families when one from their clan is in a situation. Even animals have lesser predatory instincts than them.
If any group of people who I consider as filth in the society, it is these auto rickshaw folks of Bangalore. So much so that, any thing which goes wrong for them I get a feel of happiness. Two weeks back there was a drive against these criminals. People were all in support of the BTP.
sachinpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2014, 12:10   #6341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Since tomorrow is a holiday for many companies, I thought there will be less traffic today.
Same mistake here. I googled to find the holiday today, hence left late. After about 10 minutes, I received my confirmation that it was not a holiday today.

Quote:
He had one bad habit: he always wore earphones and listened to music all the time, even while riding.
Bikers being the most vulnerable motorists, should take maximum precautions to stay safe on the road. Many don't, and end up in the statistics.
I wonder if people even realize the mistakes they make. A biker is already riding with huge risks on the road - any untoward incident involving a biker and it is almost sure that they will get injured; be it their fault or others. On top of that most of the Bikers in Bangalore almost always have either their phones tucked up their helmet or an earphone.

I can understand people do not like the honking from behind (which they themselves never shy of). A lot of my friends give me this reason to which I think the only thing to do use ear plugs, as they never block the loud honks completely. Maybe, it is safer. Would I do it? No chance, I'll rather hear the honk.
Old 28th July 2014, 17:55   #6342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He had one bad habit: he always wore earphones and listened to music all the time, even while riding. According to the shopkeeper, many times he used to talk to this young chap to place orders, only to find out that he hadn't heard a word!

Shopkeeper said the trucker that crashed into this biker from behind, was honking all the while. I agree that it wasn't biker's fault if a truck crashed from behind. But if he had heard the horn, may be, just may be, he would have revved up his bike enough to move forward and either escape with injury or avoid the accident altogether.

I see many people using earphones while driving. Car drivers have better chance of escaping unhurt when they are rear-ended (unless they are not wearing seatbelts and end up dead after banging their faces on steering wheel - but that's their foolishness).

I would blame the biker for this mishap that ultimately led to his loss of life. Just can't understand the logic behind wearing ear phones while riding. With so much noise around you, one will not be in a position to hear the horn of other vehicles if one listens to music while riding.
Old 29th July 2014, 00:12   #6343
BHPian

Quote:

Instead of leaving home at 7 AM, I left home at 8.30 AM.
Instead of reaching office in 35 minutes, I reached office in one hour. That's the 25 minutes of wrong!
I think most of us made this miscalculation today . I thought most of the people would take today off to enjoy long weekend. Nope! I ended spending more time on the road to day cursing why I didn't take leave.

Quote:
He had one bad habit: he always wore earphones and listened to music all the time, even while riding.
Shopkeeper said the trucker that crashed into this biker from behind, was honking all the while.
Very unfortunate. Yes lot of guys/girls do this. We have to learn from mistakes & this is a costly one. Spare a thought for his family.
Old 29th July 2014, 09:54   #6344
Senior - BHPian

Just to add to the miseries of Rohan, Pratyush and nggk5mr, I was on a Comp Off yesterday.
Today, I left home today at 7:30 (1 hour late) and reached office at 8:10. Flat 40 mins from BTM to Whitefield - 24kms.

Surprisingly, BTM main roads between Udupi Garden > SilkBoard , including Lake Road were empty, with only one or two bikers. Took me just 5 mins to clear silkboard !!
And for a change I took my wife to drop her at her work also (since I got late). I got scolded for cribbing everyday about traffic. She asked - 'Where is the traffic' !!!
Old 29th July 2014, 12:25   #6345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Just to add to the miseries of Rohan, Pratyush and nggk5mr, I was on a Comp Off yesterday.
Today, I left home today at 7:30 (1 hour late) and reached office at 8:10. Flat 40 mins from BTM to Whitefield - 24kms.
Same here. Traffic was literally non-existent (Bangalore Standards). Left at 9am reached at 9:30am - 30 minutes for 21 kms; not too bad.

My advice - do not take a chance today evening, it is usually crowded. Plan to finish work ASAP and head home for a late lunch

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks