Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2014, 15:28   #6511
Team-BHP Support

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Please enlighten me how will you remove the hypothication details from your RC. It could be anything, even the habitual offenders can be easily tracked and send legal notices. Legally they can initiate recovery upon refusing to pay any penalty. Please educate yourself on the legal powers of home RTOs.

Hypothecation removal from RC is a one time thing, and considering the loan payment tenures - should happen 3/ 5 years down the line. This is frequent?

Considering the drive for other state cars in Bangalore- there are far more chances that an other state car is flagged down for checking in those 3/5 years. And made to pay any fine alongwith.

RTO can as well seize any car / it's legal documents, not only home state cars.

And what about cases where people have moved from a rental address? Considering the huge floating population of Bangalore- do you feel all the addresses updated with the RTO are current and valid?
Quote:
Please educate yourself on the legal powers of home RTOs.
Sure. Would like to learn more, and that's why were are here.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st September 2014 at 15:31.
Old 1st September 2014, 16:43   #6512
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Please enlighten me how will you remove the hypothication details from your RC. It could be anything, even the habitual offenders can be easily tracked and send legal notices. Legally they can initiate recovery upon refusing to pay any penalty. Please educate yourself on the legal powers of home RTOs.
Right. Two use-cases (I did think of hypothecation removal, but then figured that (a) not all first-sale vehicles are hypothecated, (b) majority of second and subsequent sale vehicles aren't either, and (c) removing it is not a necessity unless you intent to sell the vehicle. You are welcome to correct these assumptions).

Mind you, a legal notice sent via regular post has no sanctity. It has to be sent via registered post acknowledgement due, and the addressee (not a proxy) has to accept it (the RTO has to prove this acceptance by producing the acknowledgement card). Do you know if BTP sends these fine notices via registered post? Recovery comes after such a notice, then a show-cause, then one more notice whose name I forget now, and THEN. Not before.

I'd welcome to be educated on these matters, though.
Old 1st September 2014, 17:30   #6513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
An example where a person with a KA registration visits the RTO please?
KA vehicle will have to visit RTO when

A. Vehicle is sold to third party or
B. When it is time to renew Fitness Certificate (15 years after purchase and every 5 years thereafter)

Govt can charge compounded interest and recover it when a vehicle approaches RTO for such services.

A 500 Rs fine will become 12k with a penal interest rate of 24% per annum

Or Govt can:

A. Tie this up with periodic checks like PUC
B. Make online validation of pending fines mandatory for periodic activities like insurance (Insurance company can be prevented from underwriting if a vehicle's engine/chassis number comes up in list of such vehicles)
Old 2nd September 2014, 08:00   #6514
BHPian

Went to near HAL signal today morning for some work before 7 AM. Absolutely nightmare of a signal to drive. I was on my 2 wheeler still it was total chaos.

BMTC's accelerating like they wont break. Bikes moving with blinkers on in the wrong direction from Manipal side. Everyone pushing from wrong lane to right lane and going back again. All this just to save few minutes!!

It is more dangerous when the signals are yellow in Bangalore roads...
Old 2nd September 2014, 13:14   #6515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Tie this up with periodic checks like PUC
Its already tiedup, the apps that is being used by the PUC centers is from RTO and connected to RTO servers.
Old 2nd September 2014, 14:45   #6516
Team-BHP Support

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
KA vehicle will have to visit RTO when

A. Vehicle is sold to third party or

B. When it is time to renew Fitness Certificate (15 years after purchase and every 5 years thereafter)

Govt can charge compounded interest and recover it when a vehicle approaches RTO for such services.

A 500 Rs fine will become 12k with a penal interest rate of 24% per annum

Or Govt can:

A. Tie this up with periodic checks like PUC

B. Make online validation of pending fines mandatory for periodic activities like insurance (Insurance company can be prevented from underwriting if a vehicle's engine/chassis number comes up in list of such vehicles)
Pardon my ignorance- but are these checks already in place, or are you suggesting the government CAN do all these if they want?

Except the case of sale / renew certificate which cannot be termed as frequent at all.

Quote:
Its already tiedup, the apps that is being used by the PUC centers is from RTO and connected to RTO servers.
Yes. Correct.

This data is very relevant in the case of other state vehicles, as I found out from the RTO. If any of the other-state vehicles stay in KA for the long term and are caught for non- payment of LTT, RTO can always check the PUC database to see how lob they have been living in the state. A friend who had been living in KA for sometime tried to plead that she recently only moved here, but RTO had records of her stay.
Old 2nd September 2014, 21:48   #6517
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Except the case of sale / renew certificate which cannot be termed as frequent at all.
Even though these interaction are not frequent, a 1 lakh+ fine (in case of multiple unpaid tickets) would be a deterrent if enforced by system.

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance- but are these checks already in place, or are you suggesting the government CAN do all these if they want?
Govt can implement these over time, data is already being captured for offences. If this clicks in, driver will have to pay not just the fine but compounding penal interest as well.

Because of compounding, fine can grow fairly quickly.
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:30   #6518
BHPian

Bellandur Flyover Accident Alert

Really, this flyover deserves a dedicated thread. Another indi-cab (compact sedan) totaled in the same spot as previous accidents. When I crossed this spot at 0645 AM today, there was one traffic police and the car was ready to be towed. The start of railing was reduced by another few inches.

God forgive whoever forged that ingenious idea of "flyover - 100 meters road - flyover".
drivingme.crazy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 07:48   #6519
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post

Really, this flyover deserves a dedicated thread. Another indi-cab (compact sedan) totaled in the same spot as previous accidents. When I crossed this spot at 0645 AM today, there was one traffic police and the car was ready to be towed. The start of railing was reduced by another few inches.

God forgive whoever forged that ingenious idea of "flyover - 100 meters road - flyover".
The car was towed away by the time I crossed the spot at 7AM. However tell-tale signs and a few cab drivers loitering around did invoke enough curiosity for those on the road to create a small bottleneck.

The flyover idea is fairly good. Its the "2 service roads on either side" concept that's at fault here.

Even worse are the traffic signals which have come up right after some of those underpasses on ORR (e.g. the one at Kadubeesanahalli, just before Innovative Marathahalli, while going towards K.R.Puram). The whole idea of having an underpass was to make the ORR signal-free/ better traffic flow, or so I thought...!
Old 3rd September 2014, 08:28   #6520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I crossed this spot at 7:15 AM and saw the Windshield lying on the flyover ramp. Understood that this flyover claimed another victim.

The trick to cross this place is -
While coming down the Bellandur flyover, stick to right lane, and as soon as you cross Ecospace gate, move back to the leftmost lane, before it becomes too late.
Sticking to the leftmost lane all the time is not possible since BMTC buses, Cabs, husband-wife drop-offs, pedestrians would be covering a lot of space on the left lane.

Nevertheless, it always pays to slow down while coming down the ramp of one flyover, one never know what's ahead.
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:12   #6521
Senior - BHPian

For starters, the ORR stretch is around 70% complete, but open to full public use. Service roads are in bad share. There are no designated bus stops. Some stretches lack the lane markings. There are speed breakers for no reason. It is extremely pedestrian un-friendly. No idea if the work is marked as complete or there are any plans to finish remaining 30%.
Quote:
The start of railing was reduced by another few inches.
How about having barrier with used tyres at the start of railing of the flyover, with tyres painted in luminous color? This save the flyover concrete & length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
The flyover idea is fairly good. Its the "2 service roads on either side" concept that's at fault here.
The lanes between the 2 opposite flyovers were designed to be bus-bays. It is grand idea that has flopped miserably. And Bangalore folks have to live with this planning-mistake forever.
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:32   #6522
BHPian

The entire stretch of ORR between sarjapur road junction and Marathahalli is poorly planned and even poorly executed. The "powers that be" need to make few improvements/changes immediately before any more lives and vehicles are lost
  • Finish the road between the two arms of the bellandur flyover and route all BMTC buses through them with a stop at bellandur cross roads. Add signal at the bellandur cross roads to reduce the chaos there.
  • Ideally the buses would keep to the right lane between bellandur and devarabisanahalli flyovers.
  • Eliminate the bus stop in front of ecospace. If the buses are routed under the flyover as they are supposed to be, there is no way they can move from the right lane to the left lane in front of ecospace without creating more traffic chaos. I am sure the ecospace employees can walk an additional 500m to reach the bus stop.
  • Build at least a couple of elevated walk ways for people to cross the road between sarjapur signal and ecospace. Crossing the road now during peak hour is just too risky and time consuming right now.
But the skeptic in me says that nothing concrete is going to happen in the near future and we are going to keep putting some more bandaids to the problem till the next major incident happens
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:44   #6523
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

One of those really lucky days was yesterday. Had to stay back till much later than usual time at office and was really apprehensive of getting caught in crawling traffic but then it happened to be one of those rare lucky days! Started from ITPL at 7:30pm and reached C V Raman Nagar at 8pm, that's almost like my early morning drive to office
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:05   #6524
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to appreciate some good thing

God bless the noble soul who actually re-tarred the stretch between Silk Board > HSR > Agara.

The stretch between Sarjapur Flyover > Agara (through the army area) was in tatters since last 1 year or more.
Today morning, I saw that tarring of that stretch was going on.
God bless the workers.

On another note, have to see how these filmsy layer of tar holds up during the coming monsoon month.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 10:32   #6525
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I was stuck in a traffic jam at Varthur at 10 PM, because of Ganesh Utsav. For a change, I don't complain. The procession was held much after peak hours. Surprisingly, the traffic was well behaved, even in the opposite direction of the procession. The line was held up for more than one KM, and the vehicles at the end of the line could never have guessed that the jam is because of procession.

There was one and only one police constable to direct the traffic, in front of Varthur police station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

On another note, have to see how these filmsy layer of tar holds up during the coming monsoon month.
It won't. The leaves of the trees that give shade to the trees, will also end up spoiling the road. The quality of our roads is so bad that, when leaves collect small droplets of rainwater and send much larger drops on to the road, the tar will loosen and come off. The right solution is to improve the quality of the asphalt work, by using the right mixture of gravel and tar, and rolling it 18 to 24 times as recommended in IRC (instead of 4-8 times they do now).

But if you take this problem to the PWD engineers, the best solution they will come up with is: chop down the trees!

Most Viewed