Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2014, 21:06   #6691
BHPian

Heavy downpour in the evening.. Took me one hour to reach BTM from Electronic City..
The cause of the jam? Silk board is completely submerged in water. Please avoid Silk board atleast till morning.
Old 25th September 2014, 21:46   #6692
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
The cause of the jam? Silk board is completely submerged in water. Please avoid Silk board atleast till morning.
Was listening to my HAM friends "on the air". Koramangala also seems to have serious waterlogging issues. Folks had go stuck up in Inner Ring Road. Similar issues reported in KR Puram side as well, but less severe.
Old 25th September 2014, 22:24   #6693
Senior - BHPian

Was watching the local news and they were showing a video of two BMTC buses half submerged under a rail bridge, near Anand Rao circle and the funny part being, the cabin lights and the wiper were still working with water till almost the roof of the bus.
Old 25th September 2014, 22:49   #6694
Team-BHP Support

Given forecasts that the rain scenario is going to continue at least till Sep-end, I'm not very optimistic about my daily commute. Time to leverage work-from-home options I guess
Old 25th September 2014, 23:09   #6695
Senior - BHPian

Due to cyclone, Bangalore saw 9cm rain in 3 hours this evening. Hence the mayhem.
Old 26th September 2014, 00:44   #6696
Senior - BHPian

Bad evening for Bangaloreans.

Wifey started at 6:15 from ITPL.
Reached BTM at 9:45 PM.
I was at home with my kid going cranky due to no electricity from 6:20 PM till 9:45 PM.

We are now on the lines of Mumbai. Downpour and the city comes to a stand still.
I see not very far where we see the horror of Mumbai floods appearing in Bangalore.

Interesting things to be seen tommorrow morning - How are the new super thin asphalted roads holding up. I am sure most of them must have gone by tommorrow morning.
So all that happiness we found in the recent asphalting of roads was too much short-lived.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 09:22   #6697
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Taking into account tomorrow's verdict against Chief minister of TN, it is advisable for all of us not to venture into TN tonight as crossing Hosur will be a major pain. Moreover many of her party members are expected to come to bangalore tonight.
In addition to the already existing traffic, the presence of AIADMK pary vehicles in bangalore will add fuel to the fire.

Moreover Lord Varuna is bent on troubling us further by giving more rain.

Last edited by suresh_gs : 26th September 2014 at 09:26.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 09:51   #6698
BHPian

Yesterday's downpour, really appreciate the work Police was doing to keep the traffic moving around Shivananda Circle. All the underpasses in that area were waterlogged.
As I reached Cubbon Road at around 8.45pm there was an entourage of 4 VVIP cars (2 Scorpios and 2 Innvovas) making their way towards Old Airport Road. In that heavy rain, traffic was held-up for this convoy to pass through and I shamelessly tucked in.
After a few kms near Trinity circle, the convoy slowed down and stopped honking and sounding sirens clearly understanding that roads were waterlogged and not possible for vehicles to move out to the left.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 09:57   #6699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansvk View Post
Yesterday's downpour, really appreciate the work Police was doing to keep the traffic moving around Shivananda Circle. All the underpasses in that area were waterlogged.
Just saw the headlines of The Hindu. Looks like one person is dead. These underpasses (especially the box type ones) clearly show the poor engineering skills of the BBMP folks. These are basically death traps when it starts raining. There is absolutely no provision to clear the water away, and it just becomes another water well.

Due to the total unplanned growth of the city, waste water management is going to be a problem which would torment Bangalore for years to come. Every heavy down pour of rain is just reminding us this; time and again.
Old 26th September 2014, 10:27   #6700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Just saw the headlines of The Hindu. Looks like one person is dead. These underpasses (especially the box type ones) clearly show the poor engineering skills of the BBMP folks. These are basically death traps when it starts raining. There is absolutely no provision to clear the water away, and it just becomes another water well.

Due to the total unplanned growth of the city, waste water management is going to be a problem which would torment Bangalore for years to come. Every heavy down pour of rain is just reminding us this; time and again.
.Especially the unplanned development coinciding with waste water mismanagement is going to affect the city dwellers very badly.The roads are not widening ,still add metro train pillars on the same road without rain water catchment and that's a menu for trouble. The underpass everywhere is designed so badly a little rain and water logging starts.The amount of trouble to commuters and the damage caused to the vehicles are something authorities are not looking in to. See the picture of two inundated buses.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-bus.jpg  

Last edited by commonman : 26th September 2014 at 10:28. Reason: picture
Old 26th September 2014, 16:21   #6701
BHPian

Any idea what time approx the verdict will be given tomorrow in Jayalalitha case?
Old 26th September 2014, 16:40   #6702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Any idea what time approx the verdict will be given tomorrow in Jayalalitha case?
TN CM has to appear before the special court in Parappana Agrahara prison complex before 11AM.
Old 27th September 2014, 13:38   #6703
BHPian

Given that the verdict is yet to be heard, would it be advisable to venture out today? I have to go to work in Whitefield from Frazer Town in couple of hours.
Old 27th September 2014, 13:52   #6704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Given that the verdict is yet to be heard, would it be advisable to venture out today? I have to go to work in Whitefield from Frazer Town in couple of hours.
As per latest info. Verdict would only be given at 1500Hrs today. Your route is not going through any troubled area. Police is out in full force only in Hosur Road area (from BTM layout, right upto TN border at Attibele). Don't think the city would face any law and order issues.
Old 27th September 2014, 14:11   #6705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
As per latest info. Verdict would only be given at 1500Hrs today. Your route is not going through any troubled area. Police is out in full force only in Hosur Road area (from BTM layout, right upto TN border at Attibele). Don't think the city would face any law and order issues.
You seem to have quite a faith in this city. I do too, but it's wavering. My concern was I have to go via Old Madras road. Hosur Road wasn't even my worry. Anyway, I've called it off at the office. Don't want anyone to suffer any hardships. WFH it is!

Stay safe guys!

Most Viewed