Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2014, 11:27   #6916
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I do remember reading a few pages back about how roadworks were done even during pouring rains when the PM was visiting, and that too just in one direction! Who are they trying to fool?!
I was a witness to this. Just before Narendra Modi visisted bangalore, the previous evening i saw the Kodichikkanahalli main road being retarred in patches while it was drizzling.

Now it is in shambles back to old stone age.
Old 28th October 2014, 11:28   #6917
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
One of the guys wanted to add to his resume, that he had built a hanging bridge.

What waste of space and infrastructure.
Apparently that same guy forgot that the Ring Road existed and it had to be connected after the bridge was completed.
Old 28th October 2014, 11:40   #6918
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Apparently that same guy forgot that the Ring Road existed and it had to be connected after the bridge was completed.
Exactly. The idea was keep ORR traffic signal free. But its a BIG discontinuity at KR Puram. I dont know how could they forget so "small" a detail!
Old 28th October 2014, 11:56   #6919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is beginning to get highly repetitive and rather predictable as well. The roadworks are done during peak hours, inconveniencing all traffic, and then shoddy patchwork is dished out. Soon, we see the onset of rains, and the craters are back, causing further traffic jams all over again. And the cycle continues...

It amazes me that there is absolutely no effort being made by any of the authorities to control this menace. I do remember reading a few pages back about how roadworks were done even during pouring rains when the PM was visiting, and that too just in one direction! Who are they trying to fool?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
I was a witness to this. Just before Narendra Modi visisted bangalore, the previous evening i saw the Kodichikkanahalli main road being retarred in patches while it was drizzling.

Now it is in shambles back to old stone age.
The Graphite India junction was repaired few days back and it is back to the old shape now. The patch work did not last even a month.

Similarly the road from Hopefarm to ITPL is in worst condition.

Also, road from Whitefield to Forum value mall was dug up for some sewage lane 2 weeks back. Now only one lane is usable.

The roads in and around Whitefield/EPIP area are in poor shape for the past 2 years.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:00   #6920
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
The roads in and around Whitefield/EPIP area are in poor shape for the past 2 years.
I worked in Whitefield from 2006 to 2013, and can say that the roads have been in bad shape for a really long time. There was a time in between when the entire EPIP main road and Brookfields area was relaid, and road markings redone, but needless to say didnt last too long before it was dug up. Then, we all know what happens...
Old 28th October 2014, 12:03   #6921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I worked in Whitefield from 2006 to 2013, and can say that the roads have been in bad shape for a really long time. There was a time in between when the entire EPIP main road and Brookfields area was relaid, and road markings redone, but needless to say didnt last too long before it was dug up. Then, we all know what happens...
The roads in EPIP and Whitefield area were asphalted in 2010 and the foot paths were also repaired. The quality of the work also seems to be good as the road was ruined by digging by multiple agencies.
Old 28th October 2014, 12:04   #6922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
The suspension/hanging bridge was needed because the bridge had to cross 4 tracks underneath and there was not enough space to put pillars between the tracks.
The mistake was not planning for the intersection between old madras road and outer ring road properly. Ideally the ring road should have crossed over the OMR with some sort of exit to get into KR puram station.

But this india where we build and then adjust.
etrast75 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:12   #6923
Senior - BHPian

Today I spent the longest time I have ever spent to reach office from home: 2 hours and 40 minutes for a 25 KMs journey.

My wife wanted a drop to her Whitefield office, so the route was Sarjapur-Dommasandra-Varthur-Borewell road-Whitefield. Then to my office at Doddanekkundi via industrial area.

We left home at 8 AM, and I hoped to reach office by 9 AM. I thought I'll have my morning tea in office. BIG mistake!

Traffic through Varthur was so slow that it took us nearly an hour to cross 2 KMs. Some potholes are really deep. But that's nothing compared to the potholes along Varthur lake. Into one such pothole, an unfortunate lady drove her Ertiga's left front wheel. The pothole is so deep that no matter what she did, the car wouldn't budge. And a long queue formed behind her, with everyone honking.

Since I was driving in the opposite direction, I stopped next to the Punto behind the Ertiga and told the driver that the Ertiga is stuck and he should reverse a little so that the Ertiga driver can accelerate hard in reverse. The Punto guy said, "I know, I know", and continued honking. I don't even think he listened to what I said!

Next bottleneck was at Nallurahalli. Well, this is usual. Next, at Graphite India signal. This is usual too.

Final one was at Doddanekkundi signal. I did the mistake of driving on the service road from Alpine Eco apartments till the signal (because my office is right there). I had to wait for about half an hour, even when the office was right in front of me. Only if I could leave the car there and walk into the office :-(
Old 28th October 2014, 12:16   #6924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Today I spent the longest time I have ever spent to reach office from home: 2 hours and 40 minutes for a 25 KMs journey.

My wife wanted a drop to her Whitefield office, so the route was Sarjapur-Dommasandra-Varthur-Borewell road-Whitefield. (

Work on the road connecting Varthur Road (near Shell Petrol pump) and Borewell road has been going on for ages. Any idea when this will be done.
There are huge craters in this road too.
pramodpk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 12:36   #6925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
And a long queue formed behind her, with everyone honking.
Since I was driving in the opposite direction, I stopped next to the Punto behind the Ertiga and told the driver that the Ertiga is stuck and he should reverse a little so that the Ertiga driver can accelerate hard in reverse.
This is one part of civic sense which the so called elite, well educated, super-brained, IT expert crowd of Bangalore should learn from the people of the hills. When driving through the rough roads between Leh and Rohtang La (with a minor snow fall happening), a truck going ahead of us had landed up in a pot hole and also had a flat tyre. We were like "Some body (else) please help the poor driver!! - mode. A bus with passengers came up behind us. And rather than honking, the driver parked the bus in a neat way. And he summoned all adult men from the bus to fall-in out side. Ladies and Kids can stay put in the bus. This small "work party" then went to the truck and managed to get the truck out of the way. Inspired by this camraderie we too got out of our car and joined the work party. Within 10 minutes the truck was moved to a side, its driver and cleaner working on fixing the flat tyre.

The snow fall had become more heavy after we crossed Barlacha La, so we decided to halt at Keylong. Next morning more trucks got stuck in the snow on Rohtang La. Again the truck drivers formed work parties, worked in unison and helped the trucks which had got stuck.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 13:17   #6926
Senior - BHPian

Another new 'style' I have been noticing with an increasing trend is that people on two wheelers riding with the pillion holding an umbrella. I was like, are you kidding me? How stupid can these people be, but this thought vanished when I saw a single rider, on a bike (not scooter, but a motorcycle) riding with a umbrella. Safety, surely is no where in their minds.
Old 28th October 2014, 13:31   #6927
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Another new 'style' I have been noticing with an increasing trend is that people on two wheelers riding with the pillion holding an umbrella. I was like, are you kidding me? How stupid can these people be, but this thought vanished when I saw a single rider, on a bike (not scooter, but a motorcycle) riding with a umbrella. Safety, surely is no where in their minds.
You haven't seen one with a child on a shoulder yet, have you? Beats the umbrella jugglers hollow on the 'stupid' scale.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 14:09   #6928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
You haven't seen one with a child on a shoulder yet, have you? Beats the umbrella jugglers hollow on the 'stupid' scale.
Yet to come across this species, but I have seen an advanced version of the same. Keeping their younger ones on their laps when driving a car, saw one such gentleman today at my son's school.
Old 28th October 2014, 14:48   #6929
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
[*]BMTC Buses need OBD ports with Intelligent warning system that it will break down in the next 20 minutes!
Next to real-estate, it is the (break down) BMTC buses that is responsible for the loss of city's greenery
ramzsys is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 15:00   #6930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Yet to come across this species, but I have seen an advanced version of the same. Keeping their younger ones on their laps when driving a car, saw one such gentleman today at my son's school.
I have seen a few of those who take pride in driving a car in bumper to bumper traffic with kids in their laps. It gives me the shivers to think about the things that can go wrong however slow the traffic might be and the amount of people these heroic Dads put at risk apart from themselves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks