Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2014, 11:19   #7081
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
December 2019 is the scheduled time for the Namma metro to become fully operational. That's 5 years from now!
Compare this to the time taken for completion of Konkan railway (difficult terrain, bridges, tunnels, ~ 700 KM's) 20 years back, it feels like we are traveling back in time.
Old 14th November 2014, 11:24   #7082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
There was a huge jam on the elevated highway today morning around 8.30 towards Electronic City. I could spot an i10 damaged in the front and parked on the side.
Elevated highway has a big big problem. In case of a major accident there is no way an ambulance can reach the place quickly. In a city like Bangalore, the area where the accident occurred would be clogged by vehicles in a matter of minutes. Next option would be stop traffic on the opposite side and send the ambulance (and the police party) on that side. But Ambulances would never be able to cross over to the road where the accident happened.
Old 14th November 2014, 11:51   #7083
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F2005 View Post
There was a huge jam on the elevated highway today morning around 8.30 towards Electronic City. I could spot an i10 damaged in the front and parked on the side.

The number of accidents and break downs are becoming more and more over the past few weeks. I really wonder why we pay an additional Rs 65 everyday to come on this road.
I was there too - somewhere. Biker so thankfully I can squeeze through on the left side and move out. But man, once it clears, I really do not understand why cars honk like mad, swerve and race. Just a few minutes more. But no one has that patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Elevated highway has a big big problem. In case of a major accident there is no way an ambulance can reach the place quickly. In a city like Bangalore, the area where the accident occurred would be clogged by vehicles in a matter of minutes. Next option would be stop traffic on the opposite side and send the ambulance (and the police party) on that side. But Ambulances would never be able to cross over to the road where the accident happened.
Yes, this is becoming a big problem. Can you please post this up in the BETL thread - we need to really make them see that we are paying more to have a smooth drive.

They don't even turn on the lights for the road at night. It is dangerous especially when raining. Nothing has been done about it, I have complained too.
Old 14th November 2014, 11:53   #7084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Yes, this is becoming a big problem. Can you please post this up in the BETL thread -
Where is this thread? I did a quick search on the Forum, but did not find any.
Old 14th November 2014, 11:59   #7085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Where is this thread? I did a quick search on the Forum, but did not find any.
My bad, missed the link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...2010-a-49.html
Old 14th November 2014, 12:09   #7086
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Compare this to the time taken for completion of Konkan railway (difficult terrain, bridges, tunnels, ~ 700 KM's) 20 years back, it feels like we are traveling back in time.
First there will be an alignment;
Then the politicos will encroach all the land nearby that route;
unfortunately a political regime change happens;
Ruling party men crib about 'loss of revenue';
Then the alignment changes;
Sent for union government re-approval;
Cost escalates, contractor backtracks;
'work in progress' only in that yellow boards.

This happens in the neighboring State. The situation may not be much different here too. And everywhere else.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 12:17   #7087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
I work in Ecoworld and I suffer owing to the poor planning of having a road going towards Maratahalli. I am forced to go upto Ecospace. I don't get or sometimes get a choice to turn under the Bellandur flyover.
Not sure if you tried the Panathur route that joins Kaadubeesanahalli. Basically you take the rear gate exit from Adarsh/RMZ Ecoworld and proceed left and continue behind Cisco until you hit Panathur main road. This road is also equally choked at times, but much better than going till Sarjapur road junction.
Old 14th November 2014, 13:06   #7088
BHPian

I pass by the HSR layout 14th main flyover everyday and take a right towards the Greenview Medical center. It's a 60 second or 90 second signal and its a great boon for escaping the Agara junction mess.

And here are some genius folks trying their hand in changing India to US..

Genius 1 - Came across the car behind him and despite the signal being red, tried to run the light. Didn't succeed as he spotted the traffic coming from the other side. Stopped right there. The cars entering the road all had to go by him narrowing the entry point and BAM! we had a Jam! And all of us waiting patiently had to miss a turn at the signal. Way to go, dual color car guy!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20141111_083837.jpg

This Brio came behind me and we were all stopped at the signal. Not sure if the driver saw something different, but suddenly, the car inched past me in the narrow gap between the divider and the road and then accelerated very quickly for ... 5 meters and then stopped. Please note that the timer still says something like a minute or so. Calmly parks the vehicle in the oncoming lane and waits their turn. And once it turns green, cuts off all the cars staying in lane and enters through the narrow gap. And then proceeds again at a very sedate speed the rest of the way. Bri"o"lliant indeed!

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20140806_100508.jpg

Well, seeing that the good folks who drive their own cars in such manner, our taxi guy decides to take his turn at the signal. But, guess what! We have an Innova (I think) who decides to teach him a lesson by doing the same exact crazy stunt. "Who do you think you are, taxi guy, pulling into opposing lanes.. when, I, a person who can afford to buy a 13 L vehicle can do the same..Watch me!"

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20140604_082635.jpg

And, so that's it folks. We have officially taken our "swalpa adjust maadi" mentality beyond repair.
Mad Max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2014, 13:29   #7089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I pass by the HSR layout 14th main flyover everyday and take a right towards the Greenview Medical center. It's a 60 second or 90 second signal and its a great boon for escaping the Agara junction mess.

And here are some genius folks trying their hand in changing India to US..

Genius 1 - Came across the car behind him and despite the signal being red, tried to run the light. Didn't succeed as he spotted the traffic coming from the other side. Stopped right there. The cars entering the road all had to go by him narrowing the entry point and BAM! we had a Jam! And all of us waiting patiently had to miss a turn at the signal. Way to go, dual color car guy!
Herd mentality. One guy does, the others will follow. It is just crazy. The signal is quiet. One fellow starts honking. Everyone joins him.
Old 14th November 2014, 14:13   #7090
BHPian

This was on Bangalore Mirror site today. Link is given below.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../45140233.cms?

I think auto strike at this juncture will be a boon the private taxi operators. They will enjoy endless patronage and this will be counter productive to auto unions. And last but not the least, traffic will be somewhat disciplined without cockroaches criss crossing across lanes at-will
Old 14th November 2014, 15:01   #7091
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
I think auto strike at this juncture will be a boon the private taxi operators.
Oh. Some signs of a spine. :-)

The problem is that the gentlemen operating autos and taxis will resort to standard "peaceful" protest methods like stone pelting, vandalizing etc. If Uber/TFS/Ola can survive that wave, then this strike is probably destined to be the straw that broke the camel's back.
binand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2014, 21:40   #7092
BHPian

Saw this near Benniganahalli flyover on OMR. Translated to English reads:

"Save the driver's life by opposing the anti-driver provisions of the 2014 Road transport and safety bill"
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20141110_085906683.jpg  

Old 15th November 2014, 22:08   #7093
Distinguished - BHPian

Say what, why don't we people organise a drive across the city showing the others how systematic driving would be? I guess that if a group of cars come together and drive sensibly, following all the rules and not cut lanes, at least people will get to know what it is to drive well.

Whenever I go out, I make it a point to stay within a straight lane, leave way for people crossing the road, and zero tolerance for people coming on the wrong side. Most of the cases, one idiot cuts the lane and ten vehicles follow. Hence, we could organise a Sunday drive and show these idiots how civilised people should drive. We can focus on lane discipline, giving way to people at zebra crossings, maintaining distance and so on.

At least, I believe other personal cars will learn a thing or two if not the useless auto drivers or cabbies. Even two wheeler riders can create an example on the road by wearing safety gear, and mainly not zipping across lanes. That will show what TBhp is since most of the guys who have approached me on the road ask if its some racing team
Old 15th November 2014, 22:21   #7094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

This Brio came behind me and we were all stopped at the signal. Not sure if the driver saw something different, but suddenly, the car inched past me in the narrow gap between the divider and the road and then accelerated very quickly for ... 5 meters and then stopped. Please note that the timer still says something like a minute or so. Calmly parks the vehicle in the oncoming lane and waits their turn. And once it turns green, cuts off all the cars staying in lane and enters through the narrow gap. And then proceeds again at a very sedate speed the rest of the way. Bri"o"lliant indeed!

And, so that's it folks. We have officially taken our "swalpa adjust maadi" mentality beyond repair.
I guess there are many decent drivers like you in Bangalore, going by the aberrations you've pointed out. There are far too many of that clan in Hyderabad. When I first shifted to this city, I used to get exasperated by such errant driving. But I've gradually got acclimatised to it.

As the age old saying goes "when in Rome, do as the Romans do'.
Old 15th November 2014, 23:04   #7095
BHPian

Looks like driving across divider in opposite direction is becoming new norm in Bangalore and BTP is unable to control it.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-untitled.png

Sorry, the image is not clear. By the time I could capture the photo, signal cleared and vehicles started moving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks