Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 17:58   #7126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Just received a message from my office staff that "that there will be work starting on the median at KR Puram Hanging bridge starting 22nd Nov 2014. Due to this there are traffic changes near Graphite India, Hoodi junction, Vydehi hospital etc...".

Here are the details of traffic diversions and alternative roads..
Traffic situation will ease at 50% if in Whitefield Area they repair all roads and remove Speed Breakers. All small roads are extremely bad or there are no roads. Due to bad roads the traffic pile up and it doesn't clear quickly. Government must work on following roads:

1. Graphite India (Near Corporation Bank ATM) to Doddanakundi through Alpine Eco.

2. Basvanna Nagar Main Road - Connects Hoodi to Whitefield (Near IOC Petrol Bunk, SAP Labs).

3. Garudacharpalaya to Doddanakundi road via Goshala road.

4. Graphite India Road & Hoodi Main road to Goshala road.

5. ITPL road (From KR Puram till ITPL and Hopefarm)

6. Hoodi Junction to Old Madras Road via Ayappa Nagar.

7. Vydehi Hospital to Forum Value Mall road.

These roads are quite slow to move on and all are back breaking roads. There are many other small small roads that Government should make it smooth. It will take much of the load of traffic.

Last edited by anujmishra : 18th November 2014 at 18:00.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:00   #7127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Starting by about 7.30 pm from kodigehalli ( near Hebbal) to reach Bommanahalli.
ORR. Bottle neck will be KR Puram, apart from that it will be slow, but moving traffic.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:02   #7128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Urban commuters

Starting by about 7.30 pm from kodigehalli ( near Hebbal) to reach Bommanahalli.

Should I take ORR or the city roads(mekhri circle, MG road, brigade road) ?
Kodigehalli till you cross Hebbal Flyover will be messy but there after, at least till GPO Signal (after High grounds) will be troublefree as majority traffic will be driving towards Hebbal at this time of the day.

From GPO, Turn right towards Vidhana Soudha, Enter Cubbon Park (not sure but it should still be open) and reach Tiffany's Signal (where you have Cafe' Coffee Day Square Building), continue on Vittal Mallya Road and reach signal below Richmond Circle, turn right and reach Langford Road, crossing Hockey Stadium and hit the Adugodi Main road.

From Adugodi Main road till Forum Mall again it will be smooth.

This option will be faster than taking the MG or Infantry road or even Residency road.

Your next biggest bottleneck will be St John's Signal and the Madiwala Underpass.

All in all, this is a gamble but considering how people get stuck on ORR due to a simple (and single) breakdown for hours, at least in city you are assured that the traffic keeps moving, even if it meant at a snail's pace.

Note: I drive from Vidyaranyapura to Electronics city daily taking the Kodigehalli Signal since past 7 years and have found City roads to be the fastest as opposed to ORR, especially at peak hours.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:08   #7129
BHPian

Quote:
Urban commuters

Should I take ORR or the city roads(mekhri circle, MG road, brigade road) ?
Keeping in mind that, it will take you an hour and half (minimum) on either routes, I would prefer the city roads. It is around 10 kms shorter and you should not face complete standstill anywhere. The main reason I am avoiding ORR is KR Puram and Silk Board traffic.

As an alternative, you can also check out Mekhri Circle -->Cubbon Park --> Shanthi Nagar -->Adugodi -> Madiwala --> Bommanahalli route.

Last edited by satan's_valet : 18th November 2014 at 18:09.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:12   #7130
Senior - BHPian

So this is what team-bhp is all about.

Spoiling commuters and car buyers with choices so that they end up more confused than they were originally

Well, will follow paragsachania's route and report.
Old 18th November 2014, 18:38   #7131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Keeping in mind that, it will take you an hour and half (minimum) on either routes, I would prefer the city roads. It is around 10 kms shorter and you should not face complete standstill anywhere. The main reason I am avoiding ORR is KR Puram and Silk Board traffic.

As an alternative, you can also check out Mekhri Circle -->Cubbon Park --> Shanthi Nagar -->Adugodi -> Madiwala --> Bommanahalli route.
Quote:
So this is what team-bhp is all about.

Spoiling commuters and car buyers with choices so that they end up more confused than they were originally

Well, will follow paragsachania's route and report.
Mine is same as what satan's_valet suggested.

I don't want you to come back and say you faced Traffic jams. Rather, I want you to come back and say glad you didn't take ORR.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 20:18   #7132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
I don't want you to come back and say you faced Traffic jams. Rather, I want you to come back and say glad you didn't take ORR.
Started by 6.30 and there was non-moving traffic in bellary road, so took ORR. Just now finished dining at A2B, Hsr BDA complex; one hour travel.

There's interior roads to reach home from here so no Silk Board crossing business.

Sorry to disappoint

And yes, except the 407 and eicher,I saw no other trucks in ORR.
Old 18th November 2014, 20:47   #7133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Started by 6.30 and there was non-moving traffic in bellary road, so took ORR.
And this is exactly "the" traffic bottleneck I mentioned. The traffic pile up starts as early as the descent of Elevated section and crawls till you get down the Hebbal Flyover.

Glad to know you reached and quite consistent as I may call, ORR and Broken down vehicles are becoming the norm of the day!
Old 18th November 2014, 22:15   #7134
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
So this was the reason the traffic pile up at Big Bazaar signal last evening. The line of vehicles extended all the way till Vydehi Hospital at 5:45 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Back to experimentation time again for our traffic cops. The gap in the median in front of Prestige Shantiniketan gate 2 was blocked around 4pm so saw folks turning right at next signal towards EPIP and then making a U turn to head back in opposite direction to go towards Hoodi
The experiment seems to have failed or they've had a rethink/more "concrete" idea. As of this afternoon the concrete blocks that were stacked yesterday were moved away today allowing for U-turns there so folks coming out of Prestige Shanthiniketan gate 2 were able to use it as well.

However, the concrete blocks have now been placed between Prestige Shantiniketan's Gate 1 (residential complex) and Gate 2 (Corporate/Office space) where there was one more opening in the median (this is just outside the unfinished/work in progress mall inside Prestige campus). This time the concrete blocks are not just stacked but bonded with cement as well so seems like a "concrete" plan by the cops.
Hope they settle down on this scheme rather than going back and forth with such changes.

Last edited by NPV : 18th November 2014 at 22:19.
Old 19th November 2014, 18:52   #7135
Senior - BHPian

A truck has rear ended a BMTC volvo after descending Agara flyover towards silkboard. Expect traffic snarls.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 19th November 2014 at 18:54.
Old 19th November 2014, 20:44   #7136
BHPian

Pathetic situation in Ecospace. Took 1 hour to get out of Ecospace and take right turn towards Bellandur village. Started at 18:40 today.
Old 20th November 2014, 09:29   #7137
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This week every day morning drive on Old Madras Road-KR Puram-Devasandra-hoodi ITPL has been extremely slow though the start has been same time. The usual 30-35 minute drive has become 50, 60 and even 70 minutes this week

On one day there was a traffic jam right from the down ramp of the KR Puram hanging bridge and the only apparent reason was the presence of cops "regulating" traffic at K R Puram junction near Railway colony

Devasandra junction is always slow, so tried the Battarahalli-Ayyappa Nagar road one day and this was even worse - 15 minutes at the junction to turn right, this after a cop arrived on the scene. The road is also bad, like a scaled down version of Sakleshpura road!
Old 20th November 2014, 09:57   #7138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiran_cr View Post
Pathetic situation in Ecospace. Took 1 hour to get out of Ecospace and take right turn towards Bellandur village. Started at 18:40 today.
Looks like work from home is the only option to save us and bangalore as well. Of course not all companies agree to this. Everyday we spend minimum 4 hrs on travelling inclusive of traffic jam waiting time. Really pathetic indeed.
Old 20th November 2014, 10:34   #7139
Senior - BHPian

I hope many of the suggestions given here are also getting shared with Bangalore Traffic Police. They have a Facebook page, and at least they have shown some interest to seek public opinion. Some "out of the box" ideas from experienced Team-BHP-ians would help them.

How ever I am bit pessimistic that traffic situation in Bengaluru would improve any time in the near future. That is because there are too many vehicles now running in the city. There is also a limit to how much roads can be widened (or improved). So a long lasting solution would only come when vehicles miraculously keep off the roads .

After reading through the comments which I see in BTP's Facebook page, I feel it would only make things worse for BTP. The reason; the people who give suggestions, they themselves don't know what are the responsibilities of a Traffic Police unit. There is one fellow (an IT manager) who has constant cribs on every thing which Traffic PI Madivala does. Never have seen him give any constructive ideas which can be practically implemented. Then there is another "smart" chap (a techie off-course) who blamed BTP for poor design of road-over bridges. In which part of the world does a Traffic Police unit design bridges? So if these are the "IT big-shots & techies" who are giving suggestions to BTP, I expect nothing to change. The "Techies" should focus more on sitting in an air conditioned office and shoot out e-mails - "I want this done ASAP... FYI & A.." etc. .

I had attended a two day workshop by Janaagraha (http://www.janaagraha.org/) ; an NGO working on policy improvements etc. And it was an eye-opener. Bengaluru city is just not managed by one single entity. Roads are maintained by one organisation (PWD?). Water Supply and Sewerage management is done by another. Power Supply is maintained by BESCOM. Road designs are done by yet another agency. Military land and establishments are managed by their own establishments. Fire & Safety is managed by Fire Brigade. Telecommunication is managed by BSNL and multiple other vendors. Budget allocations, future planning is done by other separate units - mainly managed by elected representatives. And in this huge cog wheels, two cogs are the Traffic Police and the Law & Order Police. So for poor roads, or poor road design there is no point in arguing with a Traffic Police officer. A transformer is not placed correctly, no point in blaming the police.

Last edited by sachinpk : 20th November 2014 at 10:37.
Old 20th November 2014, 10:56   #7140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I had attended a two day workshop by Janaagraha (http://www.janaagraha.org/) ; an NGO working on policy improvements etc. And it was an eye-opener. Bengaluru city is just not managed by one single entity. Roads are maintained by one organisation (PWD?). Water Supply and Sewerage management is done by another. Power Supply is maintained by BESCOM. Road designs are done by yet another agency. Military land and establishments are managed by their own establishments. Fire & Safety is managed by Fire Brigade. Telecommunication is managed by BSNL and multiple other vendors. Budget allocations, future planning is done by other separate units - mainly managed by elected representatives. And in this huge cog wheels, two cogs are the Traffic Police and the Law & Order Police. So for poor roads, or poor road design there is no point in arguing with a Traffic Police officer. A transformer is not placed correctly, no point in blaming the police.

Yes, that is one big problem. And there is no coordination among these departments.

I believe it is time to shift military base outside of city.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks