Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2014, 16:56   #7156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
As of now there is wait of around 20 min at red signal at Graphite junction for traffic from Kundanahalli to enter EPIP. 20 min is required for traffic from Hoodi side to go straight or take left towards EPIP & for traffic from EPIP to turn right towards Hoodi. Eliminating this left turn would reduce waiting time from 20 min to 1 or 2 min. This would be the time for traffic from Hoodi towards Kundanahalli.
Sorry I don't quite follow your argument. How would eliminating the left turn solve the waiting problem? The traffic from hoodi side is still allowed to go straight towards kundanahalli. While its doing so, what harm is there in taking the left?
Old 20th November 2014, 17:02   #7157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Sorry I don't quite follow your argument. How would eliminating the left turn solve the waiting problem? The traffic from hoodi side is still allowed to go straight towards kundanahalli. While its doing so, what harm is there in taking the left?
By blocking the left at Graphite India for people coming from Hoodi, they can allow traffic coming from Brookefield to vydehi and traffic from vydehi to Brookefield at the same time. Also the traffic from Hoodi to Kundalahalli and Kundalahalli to Hoodi can be allowed at the same time. Only one side has to wait at a time (compared to 2 earlier)
Old 20th November 2014, 17:06   #7158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
By blocking the left at Graphite India for people coming from Hoodi, they can allow traffic coming from Brookefield to vydehi and traffic from vydehi to Brookefield at the same time. Also the traffic from Hoodi to Kundalahalli and Kundalahalli to Hoodi can be allowed at the same time. Only one side has to wait at a time (compared to 2 earlier)
This left was never a free left anyways during peak hours. It was allowed only when vehicles from hoodi side towards kundanahalli had a green signal. I am sorry but I don't see how disallowing this left is gonna make any change.

India is a rhd country. Lefts do not obstruct traffic at all.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 20th November 2014 at 17:07.
Old 20th November 2014, 17:07   #7159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
EPIP road is narrow at the neck to allow free-left. Traffic going straight towards Kundanahalli takes a minute to clear. 15 to 20 min is spent in clearing traffic turning left. Eliminating left will save this much time for traffic coming from Kundanahalli. This also means folks coming from Doddanekundi have to join traffic coming from Kundanahalli and wait for right turn.

PS: Thats what I guess. Monday morning will show the result.

Quote:
India is a rhd country. Lefts do not obstruct traffic at all.
Vehicles turn left when the signal is green. It is green for 20 minutes. When this is green other road signal is red and is red for 20 minutes. If you eliminate left, there is no need for signal to be green for 20 minutes. It can be green for 2 minutes for traffic going straight. For rest 18 minutes this will be red and green for traffic coming from Kundanahalli.

Last edited by msdivy : 20th November 2014 at 17:25.
Old 20th November 2014, 17:12   #7160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
EPIP road is narrow at the neck to allow free-left. Traffic going straight towards Kundanahalli takes a minute to clear. 15 to 20 min is spent in clearing traffic turning left. Eliminating left will save this much time for traffic coming from Kundanahalli. This also means folks coming from Doddanekundi have to join traffic coming from Kundanahalli and wait for right turn.

PS: Thats what I guess. Monday morning will show the result.
Please check my earlier post - this was never a free left in peak traffic. You'd know if you traveled this route before.
Old 20th November 2014, 17:48   #7161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Also the traffic from Hoodi to Kundalahalli and Kundalahalli to Hoodi can be allowed at the same time.
How this is possible? Hoodi to Kundanahalli & Kundanahalli to Hoodi? The traffic comes from Kundanahalli 80% of them take right turn towards Vydehi hospital. Even the straight green was on the right turn vehicles jam all lanes. It never allows to go straight. Please explain

Quote:
Exactly. I second your thought. Now there are much of the traffic will go straight and they wants U turn. What will be after that? All U turners will block all the lane for the people going straight. Do you think all U turning vehicle will be there at extreme right? There are many big buses go left and you can imagine the chaos when one big bus want to take U turn.

Left from Graphite India signal towards Vydehi should be allowed. It will never harm them. The best they can separate the left lane from going straight lane.

With all this chaos, I should take out my bike now to commute to office and back. I left using two wheeler long. I drive Safari and and stay between SAP Labs & Hoodi (Basvanna Nagar Road). There is no way I can use Safari for so many U turns.

Last edited by anujmishra : 20th November 2014 at 18:05.
Old 20th November 2014, 18:02   #7162
Distinguished - BHPian

In light of the recent discussion on this thread about auto people being unhappy with the new-age taxi companies, its interesting to see this email I've received from Ola.

Seems to be a case of "If you can't beat 'em, then join 'em"

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-ola-auto.jpg

Quote:
We decided to give Namma Bangalore's Auto a tech upgrade! Now, get an auto right from the Ola app, without having to step out to find one. No haggling, no negotiation, and no hassles. Pay by meter, in cash.

Terms & Conditions
1) Booking is available only through the Ola mobile app.
2) Please pay by cash. Ola Money cannot be used to pay.
3) Please pay by meter. Booking charges of Rs.10 (Not part of the meter fare. To be paid to the driver ).
4) Currently available only on Android & iOS.
5) This facility is currently in beta stage and is available only in Bangalore.

Last edited by arunphilip : 20th November 2014 at 18:31.
Old 20th November 2014, 18:09   #7163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
In light of the recent discussion on this thread about auto people being unhappy with the new-age taxi companies, its interesting to see this email I've received from Ola:
Irrespective of the cost difference & knowing the antics of these rogue category of indisciplined humans, I will prefer a cab over the Auto.

These folks have felt the heat and realised it was only because they dug their own grave that Taxis are becoming the preferred option for planned travel within the city; peaceful one that too,
Old 20th November 2014, 18:19   #7164
BHPian

Ever since I saw about the new traffic "plan" in BTP's FB page, I thought this is one of the bad plans, making people travel longer, choking traffic signals.
1) I dont see a point in making the Hoodi Main Road as oneway, since it has proper dividers and a dual carriage way. The only issue there is the scores of heavy and super heavy vehicles(concrete mixers, trailers, JCBs) parked on both the sides making it a single carriage way.
2) The traffic coming from Alpine Eco/Cement Factory is going to take a very bad hit.
3) The places of U Turns is defenitely going to block the traffic going straight
4) (Old) Big Bazaar signal near ITPL is going to get choked. The ripple effect of this would be seen till Hope Farm Signal itself.

I am sure, this will be revoked very soon.
Old 20th November 2014, 18:32   #7165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
Ever since I saw about the new traffic "plan" in BTP's FB page, I thought this is one of the bad plans, making people travel longer, choking traffic signals.
1) I dont see a point in making the Hoodi Main Road as oneway, since it has proper dividers and a dual carriage way. The only issue there is the scores of heavy and super heavy vehicles(concrete mixers, trailers, JCBs) parked on both the sides making it a single carriage way.
2) The traffic coming from Alpine Eco/Cement Factory is going to take a very bad hit.
3) The places of U Turns is defenitely going to block the traffic going straight
4) (Old) Big Bazaar signal near ITPL is going to get choked. The ripple effect of this would be seen till Hope Farm Signal itself.

I am sure, this will be revoked very soon.
You made a valid point in (1). First of all the road is in tatters. Secondly of the 2 lanes, one lane is utilized by the container lorries. Effectively we have only 1 lane. In that lane, volvo buses, 2 wheelers, cars,cabbies,autos and trucks have to fight it out. This reminds me of Darwin's theory SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST. In this case i would call it SURVIVAL OF THE CHAOS.
I bet the cops are not not doing anything to ban trucks during peak hour time. Then they should re lay the road and not resort to patchwork.
Old 20th November 2014, 18:47   #7166
BANNED

I see a lot of people 'against' the new plan for the white field area. My take, give it a week and if this creates more chaos than what is already existing, I am sure the authorities will take note and revert to the existing chaos.

Before anyone wants to cut my head off, here is why I say this.

Many years ago, the two main roads in Malleshwaram (Margosa and Sampige) were made one way for ease of traffic. Imagine if this was not done then, how much chaotic it would have been today? I know both these roads cannot be compared to each other, but at least there is something being tried out and let us appreciate that.

They should ban the trucks between 7am to 10pm, no second thoughts about it. It is in plans as per some news articles, but needs to be seen when it would be implemented.
Old 20th November 2014, 20:31   #7167
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
They should ban the trucks between 7am to 10pm, no second thoughts about it. It is in plans as per some news articles, but needs to be seen when it would be implemented.
While the intent is good, it is just impossible to do this in Whitefield area.

This can be implemented inside the core/central/business areas of the city which is why the Outer Ring Road came up so trucks can take it to bypass the city. It's another story now that all corporates have occupied the land around the Outer Ring Road, it's purpose is defeated now and we have mixed traffic and so much chaos!

Back to the Whitefield scenario - the land use here is mixed. In addition to IT and other corporates there are Logistics companies, containers on trucks from the Railway Goods terminal, parts of the industrial estates still have some real "industries" and all these mean trucks will need to operate here, they would cease to function with a 7am-10pm ban
Old 20th November 2014, 20:54   #7168
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! So many ideas and suggestions to improvise traffic !!
Here is one from my end

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_89273800969670.jpeg

Source:FB
Soumyajit9 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th November 2014, 22:26   #7169
BHPian

Quote:
The traffic from hoodi side is still allowed to go straight towards kundanahalli. While its doing so, what harm is there in taking the left?
Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Exactly. I second your thought. Now there are much of the traffic will go straight and they wants U turn.
Left from Graphite India signal towards Vydehi should be allowed. .
I had the same question and got this clarified by one of those involved in the plan. The straight from Hoodi towards Kundanahalli will not be allowed. You can drive upto Keys hotel only. Beyond that, you can't go straight at the Graphite India signal. Hence the left too is blocked. Traffic from Kundanahalli side will always a free right towards Vydehi.

That side, this is a scary plan and I can't imagine Big Bazaar signal on Monday morning. If you have a WFH option at your company, time to start using it
Old 20th November 2014, 22:48   #7170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
A nodal agency coordinating with others may be a solution, but in Indian scenario its effectiveness becomes a question mark. Turf wars etc. would crop in for sure.

I humbly disagree. The defence establishments in Bangalore City are mainly the Regimental Centres. These occupy large areas of land, but if you have noticed they manage their own things quite well. They have well laid roads, and smooth flowing traffic. They have their own CSD canteens, living quarters etc. These are in a way self-sufficient establishments. Then they have a few office buildings in M.G Road, Cubbon Road area. Again these are comparatively small buildings with lesser number of people working out of them. For example Madras Engineering Group at Ulsoor would have at least 5000-6000 folks out there. But all of them work inside their own area, and bearly does that lead to a traffic congestion in Ulsoor area.

To be frank (and after seeing how things work in Bengaluru) if Army gives up it lands, it would NOT improve things at all. We would have all the Prestiges, Mantris, Embassies eating up all that land, building up high rises and selling the area for crores. Again traffic from these areas would just hit the very same roads as we have now. Think about it . Inner Ring Road did not have any major traffic 12 years back. On one side you had the ASC Centre, on the other side HAL Airport. Now there comes the Embassy Golf links and all those tech.parks out there. The mess started then on. DRDO campus, Kaggadaspura etc. were peaceful (and empty as well) till Bagmane Tech.Park came in. Now how is the situation out there?

Another famous junction the ORR-Sarjapur Road junction, and the various smaller roads through Haralur etc. This huge land was once the Artillery Firing Range. It still has a auxiliary camps of ASC and Military Police. Are they causing traffic jams? No it is thanks to the whole area becoming a commercial area, with enough and more tech parks, housing colonies etc. Now what happens if the auxiliary camps gets removed? Again Shobha, Krystal, Mantri etc. would take that land - build commercial buildings or apartments - give it a funny English name, and then sell it off.

On this point, I may not be impartial because of my love & respect to the defence forces . If Bengaluru still has some green belt within the city, it is because of the defence establishments.

I absolutely agree with you sachinpk. I remember in 2006 I was working out of EGL and was staying in amarjyothi layout in Domlur. I used to have tough time finding an auto from Forum till my house (even domlur flyover was incomplete at that time). Nandini and Pizza Hut were the only eateries during that time. But now, you know how the situation is. Even in smaller bylanes people are demolishing their old house and constructing commercial complexes without even thinking about the mess its gonna cause. I wonder how BBMP provides approvals. Best example would be Koramangala and now Indiranagar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks