Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2015, 08:38   #7696
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
A more funny article - "Traffic management is like Bollywood music" -
Bangalore Mirror is on a prowl
To their credit, they've been doing it for a while now.

This one:

Quote:
Have a look at the flyover at Iblur on Outer Ring Road and it is obvious that the planners forgot a road with huge vehicular movement into and out of Sun City. How a signal was designed for it by traffic police is nothing short of miracle.
Despite having lived in Bangalore for years and been through that signal a couple of times a week routinely, I still don't know what the protocol is for my use-case - come from Bellandur on ORR and turn into the service road (towards CCD/Food Palace etc.). :-)
Old 19th February 2015, 09:17   #7697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
To their credit, they've been doing it for a while now.
This one:
Despite having lived in Bangalore for years and been through that signal a couple of times a week routinely, I still don't know what the protocol is for my use-case - come from Bellandur on ORR and turn into the service road (towards CCD/Food Palace etc.). :-)
Protocol is to "Follow the crowd".
If you try to be smart and follow the rules, the cops will outsmart you and fine you.

I guess, to go to Sun City, you need to go under the Sarjapur flyover, to the service road and then wait at the signal to take U-Turn and then again wait at the signal to enter Sun City road.
The alternate is to take service road, right from under bellandur flyover and go towards sun city after taking that right turn at that supermarket / bakasur.

The Sarjapur - ORR junction is basically a very dangerous one and chances of someone ramming into you from some direction is exponentially high !! Couple of days back there was a post in the accidents thread of a damaged Etios.
Old 19th February 2015, 09:18   #7698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A more funny article - "Traffic management is like Bollywood music"
Bangalore Mirror is on a prowl !!

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../46291322.cms?
Brilliant article by Bangalore Mirror, echoes the sentiment of every Bangalore citizen.
The best comment in the entire article was " Wow! Once again they found a "dead body" to fit the "grave"! Well done, traffic police!"
Old 19th February 2015, 09:41   #7699
Senior - BHPian

Looks like there is more good news for Whitefielders (atleast on paper )

Jokes ASIDE! Whitefield gets more cash
Old 19th February 2015, 09:54   #7700
BHPian

Quote:
A more funny article - "Traffic management is like Bollywood music"
Bangalore Mirror is on a prowl !!

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../46291322.cms?
That was hilarious. Great way to start a day..

How come they missed KR Puram flyover?

Amongst all this chaos, the policemen of bangalore must be appreciated. They deal with poor designs and an ever increasing traffic, yet they do their best to control it most of the times.
Old 19th February 2015, 10:01   #7701
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Experienced the Thursday Traffic Jinx - slow motion traffic all the way from Big Bazaar junction on Old Madras Road till ITPL today. Could not avoid getting the car today so it was misery all the way and this at 8am, ended up taking 1hr 15 minutes to reach office
And no dearth of morons, they try to squeeze into non-existing spaces trying to create an additional lane only to hold up others and make the movement of vehicles even slower, god help Whitefielders!

Last edited by NPV : 19th February 2015 at 10:03.
Old 19th February 2015, 11:35   #7702
Distinguished - BHPian

Few posts back there was a discussion on if roads or speed breakers came first.
On the same note, this was a news which came couple of weeks back. Was not able to upload till now.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cam00252.jpg
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 12:15   #7703
BHPian

Quote:
There is no hope for the common man, unless the filthy bureaucrat's life gets ruined personally.

Agreed...These ministers who enjoy the VIP culture and right of way don't care about the common man at all. The worst part I have observed, especially in bangalore, is that there are speed breakers everywhere that too in inverted 'U' shape. Ideally they should slope up and down gradually. Moreover, I can understand speed breakers before a turn/signal to ensure people slow down but why after the turn/signal. This un-necessarily causes traffic chaos.

Another, stupid thing that I have observed is the "Forced U" turn culture. Like the Marathahalli crossing. You cannot take a right turn from any side; you have to go straight, take a U turn and then take a left or take a left and then U turn. This is true from all the sides. This causes worst of the traffic, as most of the Heavy vehicles take ages to take a U turn.
Old 19th February 2015, 12:24   #7704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Experienced the Thursday Traffic Jinx - slow motion traffic all the way from Big Bazaar junction on Old Madras Road till ITPL today.
I drove around the same route today, that is from Ramamurthy Nagar towards Marthahalli. Surprised, to see very minimal traffic at KR Puram. But Bagmane Tech Park onwards there was huge traffic for almost 1-2 KMs where you take left for Whitefield. And then till Marathahalli it was ok, and then till Innovative multiplex it was horrible, thanks to the stupid forced U-turns.
Old 19th February 2015, 12:25   #7705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Few posts back there was a discussion on if roads or speed breakers came first.
I have to cross the busy ORR. But all vehicles are zooming in speeds above 60. Proposing an over bridge takes 2 years and if approved, 3 more years to build. But I have to cross today, now - not after 5 years. Laying a speed breaker takes 2 hours. Vehicles come to dead slow there and I can scoot putting my hands up. I don't know what else is the answer.
Old 19th February 2015, 18:16   #7706
Distinguished - BHPian

Effect of TenderSURE in BLR CBD. There are terrible jams especially when the major schools give over each afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-screenshot_20150219155532.png  

itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 18:22   #7707
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Effect of TenderSURE in BLR CBD. There are terrible jams especially when the major schools give over each afternoon.
One big reason I have changed my route to work.

TenderSURE has ensured to clog St Marks road as late as 12 midnight.

I learnt from one of my friend that the idea (Stupid one at that) behind wider foothpath is this which he actually heard from horse's mouth (Planners behind this) -

There is no lane discipline in Bangalore. When the Footpaths are widened, it gives less room for drivers to indulge in lane indiscipline due to narrower roads

So - Growing Vehicular Population, Traffic Density in CBD is a joke. If you want lane discipline, make the roads narrow .

I think after KR Puram Cable Stayed Bridge, TenderSURE projects at those 7 roads will certainly qualify for the worst planning (Well, Magic Box is a benchmark of course).

The only difference between KR Puram and TenderSURE being the fact that KR Puram focused to build wider roads where density of traffic was anyways less (Towards Kolar) while TenderSURE is ensuring they do this for the Pedestrians on roads where you seldom find them walk - St Marks Road, Vittal Mallya Road!!
Old 19th February 2015, 19:12   #7708
Team-BHP Support

I'm so fed up of the in-city traffic mess that I'm seriously contemplating selling my car and relying on radio cabs for my in-city requirements. For long/highway drives, I can always rent from Zoom or similar. Gives me all the variety and none of the headaches with owning/maintaining a car. All this (non-existent) town planning is making vehicle ownership and city driving more of a headache than I'm willing to bear.

Blasphemy among petrolheads, I know, but I'm not sure how much longer I'll be willing to lose time, patience, money and overall wellness to indulge my petrol-head side, it's not worth it in the city anyway, never will be anytime soon.
Old 19th February 2015, 19:15   #7709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm so fed up of the in-city traffic mess that I'm seriously contemplating selling my car and relying on radio cabs for my in-city requirements.
I have a colleague who did just that - sold his Innova and now commutes using TFS/Ola etc. He claims mental peace. And also has a biz plan for a comparison app for the various app-based cab service providers. :-)
Old 19th February 2015, 19:59   #7710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have a colleague who did just that - sold his Innova and now commutes using TFS/Ola etc. He claims mental peace. And also has a biz plan for a comparison app for the various app-based cab service providers. :-)
But seriously, is this cheaper when travelling everyday? I understand service costs are removed but how about travel costs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks