Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2015, 11:49   #8371
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
I had seen an updated on BTP Facebook couple of days back that they are planning to close this median on a trial basis. Surprising that they opened this only few months back, so if it is not working then close it. Rather than having a trial.
I thought they already closed the service lane itself leading to Hosur Road from Outer Ring Road (saw last weekend).
Somewhere on the service road (probably near the SI apartments, opposite Teachers Colony), there were some huge pipes stacked adjacent to each other covering the entire width of the service lane

Last edited by NPV : 16th June 2015 at 11:51.
Old 16th June 2015, 13:14   #8372
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I thought they already closed the service lane itself leading to Hosur Road from Outer Ring Road (saw last weekend).
Somewhere on the service road (probably near the SI apartments, opposite Teachers Colony), there were some huge pipes stacked adjacent to each other covering the entire width of the service lane
NPV, are you talking of Marthahalli? The discussion is of Marthahalli bridge and not of HSR layout.

The service lane in HSR layout from BDA flyover to the signal has been closed for many years. It's a good thing too. People used to use that to break the signal and then join main road. You had traffic going from main road to service lane towards fernhill and then traffic from service lane on to main road to go to silk board. It was chaos. Now there are pipes and trucks/buses parked there.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 13:19   #8373
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
NPV, are you talking of Marthahalli? The discussion is of Marthahalli bridge and not of HSR layout.

The service lane in HSR layout from BDA flyover to the signal has been closed for many years. It's a good thing too. People used to use that to break the signal and then join main road. You had traffic going from main road to service lane towards fernhill and then traffic from service lane on to main road to go to silk board. It was chaos. Now there are pipes and trucks/buses parked there.
Oh..I was talking about the Service lane on Outer Ring Road near HSR layout leading to Hosur Road (the free left turn if you will)

I saw the huge pipes blocking the service road near one of the entry point from Outer Ring Road, so thought entire service lane from that point is closed for some BWSSB work
Probably, just one stretch is closed, the one near SI Fernhill apartments which is line with what you've mentioned.

Last edited by NPV : 16th June 2015 at 13:22.
Old 16th June 2015, 13:49   #8374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
BTW did the truck catch fire as per what the BTP FB says.

It was a case of the driver failing to notice where the flyover starts and he rammed in to the railings.
I heard from my office cab drivers that the truck had indeed caught fire and two fire engines were in the spot trying to douse the fire. According to the cab drivers, the fire was started from the diesel tank. I crossed the spot a few minutes back and it looks like the lorry is a total scrap.
Old 16th June 2015, 15:01   #8375
BHPian

The lorry which got into an accident on the westbound ORR (towards Silk board) near agara junction has been removed. The stretch was blocked around 1:30 and the vehicle was removed. Expect some time for the backup traffic to clear though. Took me a good 40 minutes from iblur to agara.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 15:07   #8376
Team-BHP Support

Wow almost 7 hours to remove a truck. Nowhere in the world have I heard of 7 hours to remove one truck that crashed and caught fire. Even a multi car pile up will take lesser time in other countries.
Old 16th June 2015, 15:28   #8377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
The lorry which got into an accident on the westbound ORR (towards Silk board) near agara junction has been removed. The stretch was blocked around 1:30 and the vehicle was removed. Expect some time for the backup traffic to clear though. Took me a good 40 minutes from iblur to agara.

Crossed this spot 30 mins back, road is cleared for traffic and there was no traffic pileup. I crossed this site in no time.
Old 16th June 2015, 15:28   #8378
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Wow almost 7 hours to remove a truck.
Compared to 2.5 days it took to remove another truck which hit the barrier near Bellandur flyover ~4 months back this is a huge improvement

On second thoughts, I guess that truck was not removed. They repaired it and then drove away. Gave the word 'Road side mechanic' a whole new meaning.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 15:50   #8379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Agree, add one more stage, BBMP & their cronies has been proactive in creating speed breakers (pre-stage 1 ) with due diligence, wherever possible to cause maximum public inconvenience, doesn't matter whether roads exists or not.
Tell me about it! Haralur road is already notoriously infested with speed breakers and potholes alike. There's a small stretch that connects the Kudlu gate signal to the actual Haralur road, devoid of potholes and also not many speed breakers. Last week, the BBMP thinktanks have installed a back-breaker at the point where this road joins the Haralur road, and also a swanky board that reads Kudlu road. The pea-brained mortals can't see the myriad potholes just a few metres away from this new architectural marvel, but they managed to erect a sign board. Wonderfoool!!!
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 21:12   #8380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
This isn't good news. They have made a big gap smaller. But it is still a hole and it will leak. This opening must be closed. It unnecessarily creates bottle-neck for traffic towards Silkboard & Old Airport road.
I agree that it should be definitely blocked.
But for the sake of small cars and autos and bikes, I am game for the gap, as long as they take a small turning radius.

For a welcome change, at 6:30PM, I took the left turn from Marathalli towards Bellandur in 5th gear
There was absolutely no jam whatsoever anywhere in the entire stretch from ITPL to Silk Board ! Covered 26kms in flat 1 hr at peak hour 6pm traffic !
Old 16th June 2015, 21:40   #8381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Haralur road is already notoriously infested with speed breakers and potholes alike.
There's a small stretch that connects the Kudlu gate signal to the actual Haralur road, devoid of potholes and also not many speed breakers.
Last week, the BBMP thinktanks have installed a back-breaker at the point where this road joins the Haralur road, and also a swanky board that reads Kudlu road.
I guess you're referring to the new concrete speed-breaker that's come up near this junction - now there are 3 speed-breakers within 500 meters !
I understand your anguish as I commute by this stretch everyday.
If only the "authorities" could use all the aggregate & tar used for speed-breakers to fill pot-holes instead - Bangalore would be a pot-hole-less city
im_srini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 10:12   #8382
Senior - BHPian

Positively the worst traffic I have seen in and around cv raman nagar today. My son's school van which comes by 8:30 had not reached by 10 am. The roads all around, including outside my gate are clogged, not a usual sight as it's not a main road. Crazy today since 8am.
Old 17th June 2015, 10:18   #8383
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday (Tuesday) on my way to work, there was unusually high traffic at Devasandra around 8.40am, took a good 20 minutes to clear

I guessed that some traffic from Old Madras Road was forced (by cops) to take the Battarahalli road that joins the Devasandra road at Ayyappa Nagar. This, or the usual reason "everyone knows all the short cuts in Bangalore" caused more people to take this route resulting in the traffic jam

Anyways, I took the same route route at the same time today and the traffic scene at Devasandra was not the same as yesterday *phew*

Last edited by NPV : 17th June 2015 at 10:23.
Old 17th June 2015, 11:40   #8384
BHPian

There was a small pile up on the HAL airport stretch (the one going towards Domlur) at around 9.40 this morning. I was on the other side of the road (was going towards Marathalli) and could see a Swift with its front right wheel ripped off and a slightly bashed up Civic. Both the cars occupied a good portion of the road and traffic was piling up.
Any idea if its cleared now?
Old 17th June 2015, 12:51   #8385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1992 View Post
There was a small pile up on the HAL airport stretch (the one going towards Domlur) at around 9.40 this morning. [...] Any idea if its cleared now?
I guess this is a bit late; but I came that way at around 10:15 AM (Marathahalli > Domlur direction) and reached office in 30 minutes.

Most Viewed