Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 13:35   #8761
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Alternatively, bunch of non-Indians follow the rules in their country and float the rules in India. Maybe the system enforcing & maintaining the rules is the culprit here.
Exactly! There is no negative feedback when you make others suffer and you gain. When you win everytime, it is difficult to kick the habit. India is one giant paradise for rule-breakers of every sort, in fact the setup tacitly encourages this in every sphere.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 14:12   #8762
Senior - BHPian

Damn, whattay traffic pileup at Silkboard junction at around 1 in the afternoon. Traffic was crawling - all due to some rally taken out by some political party. Sheesh, it was irritating to say the least.

Usually takes me around 25 mins from home to office. Today it took me 50 mins.
Old 10th August 2015, 14:55   #8763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Damn, whattay traffic pileup at Silkboard junction at around 1 in the afternoon. Traffic was crawling - all due to some rally taken out by some political party. Sheesh, it was irritating to say the least.

Usually takes me around 25 mins from home to office. Today it took me 50 mins.
Same here, but on a different place.
Decided to head home for lunch today and an usual 10 mins drive took a good 40 mins today and I could see a lot of SUV's with party flags.
Not sure how they have the guts to go and ask for the voters with such an infrastructure. They should be really thick skinned.
Old 10th August 2015, 15:12   #8764
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

An update from recent visit to Golden Palms resort.
On NH4 (Tumkur Road) I decided to avoid the elevated toll road and try the (non-toll) service lane but here's the first mistake I did:
the extreme left lane is the non-tolled service lane and instead of this I took the road just beside the elevated road (the sign that says "Non-Toll Service Road" is after the divider for the non-toll service road starts!). There are about 4-5 signals on this stretch and it was quite slow moving. After the last signal at Hessarghatta, suddenly the road seems to open up and here's where people pick up highway speeds. Somewhere now there is a right handed curve and cops with interceptor on the left. I was doing about 70kmph and picking up speed gradually when the cops waved asking me to stop. The guy tells me this is a 60kmph zone and I exceeded that so I was more than happy to pay the fine though I'd not seen any speed limit boards saying so, I probably missed them in the traffic. He then asked me for my drivers license and when I took it out of my wallet, he changed his mind, asked me where I'm from and asked me to leave! But as I proceeded further, I kept to the left lane and ended up at the toll booth and had to pay Rs.20 though I did not take the elevated section As the guy there explained, it still is tolled by NBTL!
On the return also I did not take the tolled elevated road but found out it takes a lot of time I was in no hurry though.
So, now I can say the best way to get to and return from Golden Palms, is to take the elevated road both ways. Just after you pay the toll, get onto service road and about 5Km later after Himalaya drugs, make a U-turn then a left turn to get to the resort. On the return, get back to NH4 (on the service lane) and about 4Km later there is an entry to a single toll booth, take this pay the toll and get onto the elevated road. Toll if taken each way is Rs.20 but one can take a day pass at Rs.30 for a 2 way toll.
*I also noticed that traffic on the service lanes follows a right side driving pattern (2 way undivided service road) as a convention with the left mostly occupied by trucks with sand, etc. Everyone seems to be conversant with this opposite side style of driving, am sure they feel like they're in the US!

Last edited by NPV : 10th August 2015 at 15:18.
Old 10th August 2015, 15:32   #8765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I decided to avoid the elevated toll road and try the (non-toll) service lane but here's the first mistake I did:the extreme left lane is the non-tolled service lane and instead of this I took the road just beside the elevated road (the sign that says "Non-Toll Service Road" is after the divider for the non-toll service road starts!). There are about 4-5 signals on this stretch and it was quite slow moving. After the last signal at Hessarghatta, suddenly the road seems to open up and here's where people pick up highway speeds. Somewhere now there is a right handed curve and cops with interceptor on the left. I was doing about 70kmph and picking up speed gradually when the cops waved asking me to stop. The guy tells me this is a 60kmph zone and I exceeded that so I was more than happy to pay the fine though I'd not seen any speed limit boards saying so, I probably missed them in the traffic. He then asked me for my drivers license and when I took it out of my wallet, he changed his mind, asked me where I'm from and asked me to leave! But as I proceeded further, I kept to the left lane and ended up at the toll booth and had to pay Rs.20 though I did not take the elevated section As the guy there explained, it still is tolled by NBTL!
On the return also I did not take the tolled elevated road but found out it takes a lot of time I was in no hurry though.
So, now I can say the best way to get to and return from Golden Palms, is to take the elevated road both ways. Just after you pay the toll, get onto service road and about 5Km later after Himalaya drugs, make a U-turn then a left turn to get to the resort. On the return, get back to NH4 (on the service lane) and about 4Km later there is an entry to a single toll booth, take this pay the toll and get onto the elevated road. Toll if taken each way is Rs.20 but one can take a day pass at Rs.30 for a 2 way toll.
Oh Dear!! That was the biggest mistake NPV. In fact ever since the HMT Watch Factory Road and the one in front of Platinum City apartments has been done, I have stopped taking the Jalahalli Cross road to hit NH4 altogether mainly due to these petty signals!

Not taking the Elevated Road costs you time and money due to that Interceptor smartly placed right when you can pick up typical cruising speeds on a 6 lane road (Which is 60kmph ).

The same Interceptor is also stationed exactly on the opposite side where the road forks out into 2 - One for Elevated Section and the other for Non-Tolled road.

And as soon as you continued from Hesarghatta Road signal, you should have either taken the service road from here itself or soon after this there is an opening in the median (removed barricades) where you may have noticed many getting into the service lane.

All these years, I have been taking NICE to reach EC from my Vidyaranyapura home on frequent occasions and have always tried most of these roads and learnt the hard way that taking the Elevated road is the fastest.

In fact, at times I reach NH4 right at Hesarghatta Junction via Balagkunte (where you have Ford & VW ASCs) by which I avoid all the signal except this one as I turn right onto the service lanes of NH4.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 15:38   #8766
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
And as soon as you continued from Hesarghatta Road signal, you should have either taken the service road from here itself or soon after this there is an opening in the median (removed barricades) where you may have noticed many getting into the service lane.
Yes, there was an opening to the service road somewhere near the Sobha Garrison apartments but being the first time on this stretch I just continued
Are there any speed limit boards anywhere saying 60Kmph ?
Old 10th August 2015, 15:45   #8767
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are there any speed limit boards anywhere saying 60Kmph ?
A pic is actually worth thousand words
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-speed_limit.jpg

So next time if you argue there were no signs, the cops with all smiles will refer to this!

You can refer to the same press release here.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 15:58   #8768
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So next time if you argue there were no signs, the cops with all smiles will refer to this!
No arguments at all, I was heading to pay the fine when he asked where I'm from and I said Bangalore, then he asked where in Bangalore, I told him Indiranagar and he said I can leave

*How does one know what the "jurisdiction" limits of Bangalore traffic police is in all directions around Bangalore ? This will help to know till where the 60kmph speed limit is valid.

Last edited by NPV : 10th August 2015 at 16:01.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 16:02   #8769
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No arguments at all, I was heading to pay the fine when he asked where I'm from and I said Bangalore, then he asked where in Bangalore, I told him Indiranagar and he said I can leave
On New BEL road when I had once parked the car in front of a More Store waiting for wife to shop for groceries, a constable comes and asks me to remove my car as its "No Parking" Zone whereas I knew that the whole road had absolutely no signs whatsoever and for the first time I was being told that its a No parking zone.

When I asked the cop for signs, he asked me to talk to Saahebru balancing himself on that 150cc Bike. Apparently the Saahebru asked me if I ever read news papers and when I respond in assertive, he says they had passed a Gazette Notification few days back that has made this entire road a "No Parking Zone" and hence no boards/signs as yet.

So the point was - If you are pulled over for a violation, carry all the newspapers from the last few months .
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 18:07   #8770
Senior - BHPian

Driving down sarjapur road there was this red etios hatchback ahead of me, the right rear wheel was spinning and wobbling around like crazy like it'd fall off any minute, but the driver seemed not to care and was going along at a fairly rapid pace.

Of course maybe he wanted to get to a garage before the wheel fell off entirely
Old 10th August 2015, 18:44   #8771
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I guess BETL too falls under the International Airport Road speed limit , although it was not mentioned.
How about two wheelers on these two roads.

I am guessing it would be 50 kmph itself since they haven't specifically mentioned it.
Old 10th August 2015, 19:17   #8772
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I guess BETL too falls under the International Airport Road speed limit , although it was not mentioned.
Yes it does and if I can recall, there is a sign that mentions the limit as 80KMPH a few hundred meters before the Lay bye on BETL.

In fact, even the NBTL Elevated road on Tumkur road falls under this.
Old 10th August 2015, 21:12   #8773
Senior - BHPian

Horrible journey this evening. ITPL - Cox Town, 2 hours flat for 15km. Started off from ITPL at 430pm, only to be greeted by the usual pile up outside the main gate as a result of the Big Bazaar signal. To top it off, much before the Big Bazaar signal and just after the ITPL bus stop, chaos with vehicles of all sizes trying to take a U Turn. Must have taken a good 15 minutes to clear Big bazaar signal. After this it was relatively smooth sailing till just after Zuri where the road is a wreak. Everything comes to a halt here. Buses have to take it easy too. A relatively smooth run from this point on till HP (Opposite Shell) where traffic comes to a stand still. It took half an hour to reach the signal just after Whitefield Honda showroom. Traffic wasn't moving. From the signal till KR Puram station was bumper to bumper. On reaching KR Puram station, I could see vehicles piled up on top of the KR Puram bridge. Bumper to bumper again on approach to tin factory and where the landing is for KR Puram bridge and this continues all the up the ring road fly over right till Kasturi Nagar turn off. Black Monday at its best.

It was only this morning I tanked up the car with Shell V Power and on reaching home, the fuel needle was already away from the "F" mark.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 10th August 2015 at 21:14.
Old 10th August 2015, 21:22   #8774
BHPian

Any idea what's happening at the NGEF - Old Madras road junction? Have they blocked the right turn towards Indiranagar/BMEL (while coming from NGEF side)? I saw that they've put continuous divider on the road around the metro campus and the divider only lets your turn left onto the old madras road.
Old 10th August 2015, 22:09   #8775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Any idea what's happening at the NGEF - Old Madras road junction?
Saw this on twitter earlier today. Is this the junction you are talking of?

@CPBlr. In order to decongest Bayappanahalli junction, right turn from Sadananda nagar is banned. U turn is provided on O M road.
binand is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed