Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2015, 19:22   #8986
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I seriously think it has come to saturation point. Will this at least force someone to take some decisions? Maybe we really have come to the point where we have to force some vehicles off the road.
Firstly the existing roads have to be relaid, leave alone widening the roads or constructing flyovers. Then shift the bus stops away from the flyover /road intersection, turning to avoid potential traffic jams. For eg if you consider the sarjapur signal flyover , we have a bus stop right at the spot where the ramp meets the road. lastly it is high time the state govt start thinking of operating a suburban rail from kengeri to whitefield.
May be users can suggest many more such ideas.
Old 27th August 2015, 19:50   #8987
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any body planning towards Uttarahalli please do not take the road leading from Kadirenahalli cross or Padmanabhnagar. Uttarahalli is choked and it took me 1 hour to cross the stretch
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2015, 21:06   #8988
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Found this on FB:

Traffic restriction in ORR Service road - Doddanekundi for next 18 months or more for flyover work.
I use the road in front of Alpine Eco to reach my home at Hoodi on weekends due to the huge traffic jam starting from HP STSD to just beyond Phoenix. Looks like now I will have to use KR puram cable stayed bridge to reach faster. The road in front of Alpine Eco is notorious for taxi drivers occupying lane for oncoming traffic as well. Will get worse with this change
Old 27th August 2015, 22:24   #8989
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Found this on FB:
Traffic restriction in ORR Service road - Doddanekundi for next 18 months or more for flyover work.
I hope they have footbridge for pedestrians on both ends of flyover in the plan. I feel really bad for the hapless pedestrians who have to risk their lives trying to cross ORR at numerous places. Good thing is I am seeing a lot of private cars stopping for pedestrians to complete the cross. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for cabs/buses :(

Returning back from ITPL and to avoid Kundalahalli gate, we have started to use Chinnapanahalli Main Road and taking a left onto Alpine Eco Road and then the entrance in front of Rainbow Children hospital to merge onto South bound ORR (going towards Marathahalli / Bellandur). Fortunately till this point it's still a 2-way road and the 1-way starts just after that point.

Also saw the service road blocked at Marathahalli (blocked for traffic to merge onto South bound ORR). Ofcourse on case by case basis the traffic warden was still allowing few cars to merge (especially if they wanted to take U-turn to go North). All other vehicles (including the Volvo buses) had to continue on service road and merge onto ORR little ahead. So now the problem just shifted 1/2 km away! That service road is so much busy with vehicles parked on almost all sides so not sure how many days this experiment will go and whether it will be successful or not. Fortunately today the constable was giving priority to ORR traffic v/s the merging traffic so it was bit smooth driving on ORR.

Closing of the u-turn between Kadubeesanahalli underpass and Ecospace flyover is really helping ORR traffic flow.

This is the second week we have encountered relatively smoother traffic between Agara flyover and Marathahalli on ORR in both directions. There are intermediate issues but not as bad as it was couple of weeks back.
Old 28th August 2015, 07:49   #8990
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
They started asphalting the dug up portion from Yesterday. Should be done till ITPL today. There was a pile up at 9:15 AM today as their vehicles were parked on the road. Poor quality. Will not last even 2 weeks.
As of yesterday evening the work had not started on the stretch between Big Bazaar junction and Zuri. It was the same situation and more gravel is vanishing quickly.

On another note - the new railway under bridge at the ITPL Road-ORR junction near Whitefield Honda has a height restriction barricade placed very low so not sure what the plan is for the approach - a signal there and allow only shorter vehicles (this will slow down traffic moving straight on ITPL-Old Madras Road direction both ways) or will they make an underpass to get from ORR to the under bridge ? Right now the new under bridge is water logged already, not sure when this will open and probably bring a new traffic dimension with it's own set of issues at this junction, fingers crossed
Old 28th August 2015, 08:24   #8991
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Came across this article in bangalore mirror. Let's see how long the potholes last.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...led-clean.html
Old 28th August 2015, 08:39   #8992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

Came across this article in bangalore mirror. Let's see how long the potholes last.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...led-clean.html
When the KA government says Bangalore, it is just the CBD and not anything beyond that.
So, don't expect anything to happen beyond MG road and it's surrounding areas and also probably the road from/to the airport!
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 09:07   #8993
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
When the KA government says Bangalore, it is just the CBD and not anything beyond that.
Not to mention that city-related articles are usually a space-filler for newspapers, one day it would be quoting positive, uplifting messages of MLA's and bureaucrats talking of making Bangalore into NY & the next day they would highlight gutters, potholes, roads that aren't roads and frothy lakes, blaming the government. Who suffers amidst this fake squabble? The people.

Even in the article above they're talking of showing a "clean & green Bangalore" only to the eyes of visitors from other countries. If one reads between the lines its evident that the least important people for the government are the citizens. Hope is lost for this city & the nation as a whole long back.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 11:48   #8994
Senior - BHPian

Infuriating to read!

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga.../48702879.cms?

School boy riding bicycle on a one way street correctly, auto driver comes in the wrong way, knocks the boy down. Then starts raining blows on the helpless 10th Standard lad. Other auto drivers came to the rescue of the boy, the boy now wants to file a police complaint. Gets into the auto of the offending auto driver(WHY?!) to head to the nearest police station and the auto driver speeds off before anyone else can board the auto. During this time, he threatens the boy by saying he will kill him and throw his body into Yediyur . Boy, obviously scared, jumps out of the auto to save himself and ends up striking his head on the road. Concerned citizens give chase to the auto driver and see the boy jumping out. They make note of the auto's registration number and get the boy to a hospital where he is now in an ICU. The auto has now been seized.

Poor boy, ends up in a hospital for no fault of his own. Rather, because he followed traffic rules.

These auto drivers are a menace. The other day, I was waiting for someone to complete their U-Turn. Along comes this jerk who abuses me and nudges my bike egging me to go front and block the car guy who was taking the U-Turn. Then says "you bike people anyway squeeze into every gap you get, what's stopping you now?". I responded back saying I am not like that. That is where he started abusing. Beyond this, it took a lot of self restraint to not say anything. Along came another auto driver who asked me to move forward again. I told him assertively that doing that will block traffic on both sides, which is a waste. He kept quiet after that. Though I would give chase to the first autodriver and then felt it wasn't worth it. Hooligans will remain hooligans.

Another day, I am waiting in front of Brookefield for a person to turn left. Towards Kalyani Tech Park. Along comes this clown in a Punto from behind. Honking and nudging my bike asking me to go forward. I stand my ground, turn around and ask him what his problem his and then sounded some words that I felt he thoroughly deserved. He shut up after that.

The things one goes through for following a little traffic sense in Bangalore. Sheesh!

Thanks for reading! :P
ashwin.terminat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 12:14   #8995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
this will slow down traffic moving straight on ITPL-Old Madras Road direction both ways)
We can now expect traffic jams on weekends from this point all the way till Phoenix mall
Old 28th August 2015, 13:38   #8996
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The things one goes through for following a little traffic sense in Bangalore. Sheesh!
:P
Yup totally agree with you. Sometimes stopping for a red light could be very dangerous as some of the BMTC buses, autos and yellow plates increase speed when light becomes amber.
On OMR coming from CV Raman Nagar the traffic on OMR just does not stop even when light is red. I have a green and start moving forward to take a right, slowly expecting the traffic to stop, I get honking and stares, as if to say how can you turn onto the main road.

Driving on wrong side of the road is perfectly OK provided you have your headlights on.

Parking on a narrow road obstructing traffic is also perfectly OK if you have your blinkers on.

We have to relearn the rules of the road here in Bangalore.
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 13:46   #8997
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems like a good idea - usage of body worn cameras (worn on self) by traffic cops.
This has been implemented recently by traffic cops in Hyderabad

Quote:
In the conventional practice of enforcement, there were many incidents of arguments, assaults and misbehaving between the commuters and cops. Subsequently, on the other end, there was no evidence on record to establish the guilt (of violators) and it badly ruined the image of traffic cops, he said.
Link
Old 28th August 2015, 14:41   #8998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Yup totally agree with you. Sometimes stopping for a red light could be very dangerous as some of the BMTC buses, autos and yellow plates increase speed when light becomes amber.
Agree with you 100%. Everytime I am going to be the first one to stop at a red light, I glance my mirrors to check if an imbecile behind me is looking to jump signal. I will promptly move away from his path than risk being mowed down by a madman!

Quote:
On OMR coming from CV Raman Nagar the traffic on OMR just does not stop even when light is red. I have a green and start moving forward to take a right, slowly expecting the traffic to stop, I get honking and stares, as if to say how can you turn onto the main road.
Something similar happens with traffic that moves from Mission Road towards KH Road as well. Vehicles just do not stop at the white line and end up blocking traffic coming from Richmond Town. And any kind of indication that what they are doing is wrong will quickly turn against you purely because of the number of morons who do this!

Quote:
Driving on wrong side of the road is perfectly OK provided you have your headlights on.
Driving on the wrong side is perfectly OK.*

* - No terms and conditions apply

Quote:
Parking on a narrow road obstructing traffic is also perfectly OK if you have your blinkers on.
Or if you have someone seated inside the car! Thank goodness for the parking spaces on St. Mark's Road!

Quote:
We have to relearn the rules of the road here in Bangalore.
As the Joker put it in Dark Knight: The only sensible way to live in this world is without rules
Old 28th August 2015, 15:07   #8999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
That is my friend's son. He is doing well now. It was totally the auto guy's fault. I cannot generalize, but most of these auto guys are goons. They have no fear of police and they care 2 hoots for traffic rules. The auto guy has been released on bail.

Last edited by shivasuma : 28th August 2015 at 15:15.
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2015, 15:09   #9000
BHPian

Yesterday I had a brush with an autodriver. The road narrow as usual. Oncoming traffic and the autodriver squeezing his way between my car and the oncoming vehicle. Luckily the speeds were less than 20 kph and he managed to nudge the mirror. Now comes the funny part. The TT coming from the other side impatiently gestures for him to move but he cant since there is no space left to squeeze. I make my stand and not "adjust maadi" for him and he starts shouting accusing me of trying to squeeze my way in. I am not in a mood to fight so I win my battle using logic. I tell him that just like he could not see oncoming traffic I c ould not see him. He is confused and I drive on. He tries angrily to follow me and come parallel to my car but twice he is forced to break and swerve due to oncoming traffic.
Similarly I tried overtaking a two wheeler who would not budge from the side or driving in the middle of the road , from the left and he comes after me. He accuses me of driving like a two wheeler. He then realises he is riding one and falls in his own trap and drives off. Two humrous incidents in two days.

Most Viewed