Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2015, 10:05   #9046
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

After all the euphoria yesterday with low traffic, all vehicles are back on the road today with a vengeance.
Took an hour and 25 minutes to reach from Indiranagar to ITPL via K R Puram hanging bridge and Devasandra
Actually most of the time was spent near the Ayyappa nagar cross in Devasandra where a BBMP truck had stopped as it ran out of fuel!
But after crossing this mess, traffic was almost standstill for a long while and on enquiring with a cabbie coming on the opposite side, he said, this is the "normal" jam, no specific reason
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 19:47   #9047
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me start a unique topic about a different problem I'm observing in residential areas, I really, really think the government should consider enforcing speed-limits in residential areas like America has, as also other restrictions with regard to honking & parking.

I'm saying this because I'm observing that just about any driver with a penchant for idiotic thrill seeking (which includes 100% of the cabbies), absolutely floor the accelerator in small, residential roads. This poses a danger in many ways as they often come fast & take sharp turns. I've seen even smallest of cars like Nano & i10 literally burning rubber going at 60-70 kmph in roads not more than 15 ft wide, the slightest margin of error can result in incidents. Please do not prove your driving "street-cred" in this manner, take it to the highways - this is a serious topic and I hope more of us can create awareness to stop this.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2015, 20:29   #9048
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

This evening, the commute from office to home was no better than the morning but a different reason:
right from the ATM junction traffic started slowing down and I suspected that road work (patching) happening at the ABB junction. On reaching the ABB junction I found the patching was complete and looked just a few minutes old so probably the road repair work ahead was causing the slow movement of traffic-and yes found them just opposite to Mahadevapura police station and all the while traffic was following these workers slowly as they completed each patch on the way
And by the way, the same traffic police inspector was supervising this work I'd seen him on Tuesday evening near the ABB junction directing the workers to fill up the huge potholes there - that time also there was a truck parked on the side with the gravel and it had caused a traffic jam in the evening.
Wondering where the BBMP staff are - Road works are being supervised by cops these days (possibly initiated by them as well), what have we come to ?
What next ? The traffic police will be given road work contracts to make this the official process for road maintenance ?

Last edited by NPV : 3rd September 2015 at 20:30.
Old 3rd September 2015, 20:43   #9049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This evening, the commute from office to home was no better than the morning but a different reason
I went through this mess too. The jam for me started just after decathalon. I too noticed the fresh layer of tarmac at ABB intersection. After reaching phoneix, I noticed the tar was fresh in the rut too after which I was almost certain they were doing tarring work a little ahead. Just after the cop station on the right and after bimal, I found the road roller and a dump truck. As soon as I got past them, over a km a free road ahead. I wonder which brain less contractor decided to take up this job at peak hour. The tar won't last more than a few days as vehicles were going over them almost immediately after laying.

While stuck in the jam, I was trailing a Hoysala jeep. The cop decided to blast the siren, hoping people would make way. Nothing worked. He did not get anywhere with it. Though after phoneix, the Hoysala had enough and cut across the wrong side of the road to reach the police station.
Old 4th September 2015, 07:30   #9050
Senior - BHPian

Folks

We should all be ready to face more music on the ORR courtesy the RMZ Eco world.

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/48779518.cms
Old 4th September 2015, 11:15   #9051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I really, really think the government should consider enforcing speed-limits in residential areas like America has, as also other restrictions with regard to honking & parking.
Sorry to say, but in India there is no clear demarcation between residential and commercial area. There are bungalows on main MG road and all possible commercial activities in Indiranagar/Koramangala.

There are existing speed limits i.e. 40 km within city limits and 60 km outside city, as per some obscure RTO document. The real problem lies in execution and enforcement
Old 4th September 2015, 11:20   #9052
BHPian

I work in Ecoworld and have been for a year now. The number of vehicles is growing. There is a possibilty of escape towards Panathur but it is a very long way around. There is a shortcut but patrolled by Adarsh security who do not allow the vehicles to pass through even though it is a wide road and has to be opened to the public who wish to take the back route rather than coming out on ORR in the chaos. I think Ecospace also must be allowed another exit to channelise the traffic.
To add to the woes and very rightly pointed in the article , bad roads slow down the traffic adding to the woes. So if I look at it , the exit to come on to the service road takes about 15 mins to cover about 350 to 500 meters. After that there is the bottleneck near Ecospace. where there is a bridge over a canal and a pipe where 4 lanes become 1 1/2. Then there the pedestrian crossing near Ecospace gate and the then an entry gate and two exits of Ecospace till we reach the flyover start of Bellandur. That road is so narrow with 3 lanes becoming 1 at a point. All this caper takes about 1/2 hour on a lucky day with little traffic. Still there are two dormant tech parks which are not yet commissioned. I wonder what will happen when these two are also thrown in the mix. God help ORR commuters.
Old 4th September 2015, 11:38   #9053
Senior - BHPian

Are they constructing a sky walk at the end of Marathahalli bridge while coming from HAL side?
Old 4th September 2015, 12:05   #9054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Are they constructing a sky walk at the end of Marathahalli bridge while coming from HAL side?
There is a sky walk on top of Marathahalli bridge since past few months, are you saying a second one is planned?
Old 4th September 2015, 12:14   #9055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
There is a sky walk on top of Marathahalli bridge since past few months, are you saying a second one is planned?
There is one more in front of Purva Riviera. Construction has been going on for a month or so. I think this is not from BDA but from the local representative's initiative.

PS: On the skywalk planned in front of Ecospace, last I heard was that a tender for construction was floated but no bids were received.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 12:21   #9056
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
There is one more in front of Purva Riviera. Construction has been going on for a month or so. I think this is not from BDA but from the local representative's initiative.

PS: On the skywalk planned in front of Ecospace, last I heard was that a tender for construction was floated but no bids were received.
Look at the link also posted earlier. The Ecospace flyover is accepted by the BDA also but no one is executing it.

Old 4th September 2015, 12:47   #9057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Look at the link also posted earlier. The Ecospace flyover is accepted by the BDA also but no one is executing it.

BDA is the entity that called for tender. But didn't receive any bids. Later Ecospace Management came forward to build the skywalk. Soil testing was done 4 months back. No update after that.
Old 4th September 2015, 14:56   #9058
BHPian

Just saw in the newspaper that BTP and an NGO has released an app for capturing and reporting traffic violators , the app can be downloaded @ the google play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ublicEye&hl=en
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 15:12   #9059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Just saw in the newspaper that BTP and an NGO has released an app for capturing and reporting traffic violators , the app can be downloaded @ the google play store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ublicEye&hl=en
The above is an old app, the new one launched yesterday is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ubliceye&hl=en
finneyp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 15:21   #9060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Just saw in the newspaper that BTP and an NGO has released an app for capturing and reporting traffic violators
It happens only in Bangalore! The traffic police do the work of the city corporation(BBMP, BDA) by fixing pot holes, medians etc.
And the common people are asked to do the work of cops!

Most Viewed