Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2015, 15:47   #9061
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
And the common people are asked to do the work of cops!
I dont mind at all , will do every bit possible for reaching home safely and with all the bones intact
Old 4th September 2015, 16:23   #9062
BHPian

One question about the app. Won't there be accidents while taking a pic of an errant fellow driver ? That is a problem in itself since you are using a mobile to click a pic and mostly while driving albeit slowly. Or maybe you have to pull over to one side and then get out of the car and click. With the current traffic situation the perpetrator might not make a clean getaway.
On a more serious note I can even click innocent folk saying he did something and drove away and I clicked the pic while he was running away from me. That chap could be innocent in reality and I am just playing the fool. Would they not need more evidence ?
Old 4th September 2015, 16:30   #9063
BHPian

Purely from my perspective, I intend to use when I am walking , jogging etc . In my area of Jayanagar T block we have this issue of flagrant disregard to traffic rules, basic road etiquette by educated and well heeled persons. This being a social initiative there will be definitely cases of willful wrong reporting, but , assuming that as responsible citizens , its imperative to use this app for the right purpose and not use to settle some personal scores.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 16:53   #9064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
...On a more serious note I can even click innocent folk saying he did something and drove away and I clicked the pic while he was running away from me. That chap could be innocent in reality and I am just playing the fool. Would they not need more evidence ?
It's not as easy as it sounds - more like those 'get a personal loan of upto 15 lakhs in 30 seconds' marketing done by banks. Based on experience, these are the violations that have a good probability of making it, provided the pic is clear:
- Riding without a helmet
- Non-standard number plates

The more commonly seen violations, but hard to make the cops believe:
- Crossing the stop line
- Using mobile phone while driving/riding (personal experience - reported multiple screenshots from dash-cam video, but rejected)
- Jumping signals
- Driving without wearing seat belts
- Lane indiscipline (personal experience & from this thread - those who come the wrong way too are let off)

I don't have any stats, but my experience with raising 'violations' through the app & Public Eye portal has not been very forthcoming. The actual number that eventually gets penalised and fined would be even lower
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 17:39   #9065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
Purely from my perspective, I intend to use when I am walking , jogging etc . In my area of Jayanagar T block we have this issue of flagrant disregard to traffic rules, basic road etiquette by educated and well heeled persons. This being a social initiative there will be definitely cases of willful wrong reporting, but , assuming that as responsible citizens , its imperative to use this app for the right purpose and not use to settle some personal scores.
Turn off the flash in your phone and be discrete. You want to make sure that you are not noticed while photographing people with their violations. Else, it is very likely that your phone will be taken away and no one will come to your rescue. This happened to me.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2015, 21:55   #9066
JD1
BHPian

What had happened today on ORR (between Marathahalli and Iblur flyover)? I was checking google traffic from 6pm onwards and everything was Red/Dark Red. By the time I was done, it was 7:15 pm and still no respite. From ITPL, I did not even see any green on any roads for joining ORR! Finally decided to take the "scenic" route via Varthur/Sarjapur - 12 extra kms than usual but reached from ITPL to Agara in 1 hr 20 minutes. Saw a BMTC breakdown just after Iblur flyover as well and 2 police jeeps and few traffic police/constables trying to manage the traffic. Fortunately I was on service road coming from Sarjapur road so escaped! But am curious to know what caused the mess. Any of you got stuck today? It had been a relatively easy journey on ORR coming back in last 2-3 weeks but today it looked like back to square one!
Old 4th September 2015, 21:56   #9067
Senior - BHPian

Posted this on BTP's wall today:

Quote:
Had a horrible, horrible journey back home today.

Compounded in particular by the Murgeshpalya junction that I have been ranting about over here for months on end with no action being taken by you.

Please look at this picture. For reference, red is slow moving, dark red is very slow moving and yellow is normal speed traffic.

Can you see how free the traffic is for traffic moving towards Varthur Main Road?
On the flipside, traffic moving from Varthur Main Road is jammed well beyond Rajeshwari Theatre.

Why? Because the cop manning the junction has no idea about how to manage traffic. You only frustrate commuters more and cause them to break rules.

This is the umpteenth time I am raising this issue with you, how difficult is it for you to automate the signal or place a capable policeman at junction?
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-murgeshpalya.jpg
Old 4th September 2015, 22:16   #9068
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
Posted this on BTP's wall today:

Attachment 1410564
Started work at ITPL yesterday and on the way back I took this route. Was stuck between 5-530 near HAL airport just because a stupid VIP had to pass. My dad was waiting near ISRO and he told me that the whole place was clear. Not sure why they require such a long stoppage for a damn person to pass through for a couple of seconds. Of course chaos followed later as most of the people were impatient and drove recklessly.

Today on the way back I came through KR Puram and believe me, it was a breeze. Left work at 430(near Sathya Sai hospital) and reached home in BSK by 545! Traffic was mostly free flowing except for a few bottlenecks. Even the area near Phoenix Marketcity was free flowing. Will not take old airport road again if travelling by car in the future. Lesson learnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
One question about the app. Won't there be accidents while taking a pic of an errant fellow driver ? That is a problem in itself since you are using a mobile to click a pic and mostly while driving albeit slowly. Or maybe you have to pull over to one side and then get out of the car and click. With the current traffic situation the perpetrator might not make a clean getaway.
On a more serious note I can even click innocent folk saying he did something and drove away and I clicked the pic while he was running away from me. That chap could be innocent in reality and I am just playing the fool. Would they not need more evidence ?
I record most of my driving either through spare phone or primary phone mounted on the windshield. This will make the job easy. I just come home, scan the video for offenders and then upload those screenshots with multiple images for a concrete proof. I guess that should be both safe and effortless, I find at least one prospective offender every minute of video captured. Sometimes they are caught in bulk during signal jumping, footpath riding and driving on the opposite side. They just need to get to the frame of the camera and the job is done Here is a sample. I have blurred the faces for posting here, but it goes raw to public eye:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-up.jpg

Coming to the second part you said, in some cases the public eye claim is rejected by police if the evidence isnt clear or sufficient. I keep seeing the progress of complaints lodged and some people do this, ie just upload a random picture of the vehicle and claim some offence has been committed. These are rejected due to lack of proper evidence.

Last edited by aah78 : 4th September 2015 at 23:27. Reason: Smiley removed.
Old 5th September 2015, 00:21   #9069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Any of you got stuck today? It had been a relatively easy journey on ORR coming back in last 2-3 weeks but today it looked like back to square one!
This is what I had posted on my FB tonight:

Quote:
Rolls Royce of a drive tonight back from work. An average just north of 3 km a liter. Only the Royce took 2 hours to cover the 6 km distance
My commute - from EMC2 crossing till Intel (though I had to cross the flyover, go all the way under Bellandur flyover and come back all for a right turn at Intel). Absolute madness all around.
Old 5th September 2015, 01:44   #9070
Distinguished - BHPian

Had a strange experience today.
On my way back home, on the Highway opposite Biocon, I was on the leftmost lane as I had to join the service road.
An Audi was in front of me. As soon as I got way, I started overtaking from the left.
Then I saw something on the road and slowed down. on going closer, it was a guy on the road! I was shocked for a second!
But sometimes I see physically handicapped guys crossing the road and I thought this must be such a case and stopped.

But this guy started acting crazy. The next one minute I don't know how to describe it, but was totally irritated, confused, terrfied, frightened.
Watch the Video recorded on my dashcam. At the end of this video, the dashcam has made another file because of the setting.

fortunately for me I could drive past him at the end of this video.
After I drove on, I saw in the RVMs that the guy sprung up and stood on his legs and walked away. He wasn't stable mentally for sure.

Bangalore roads dished out something new at me today

hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 01:52   #9071
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
That indeed was an experience!

At the appearance of that chap, I casually assumed him to be one of the handicapped person looking for alms (There is one who is regular between Sira and Tumkur with one leg and walks on all 3 lanes collecting alms from truckers), but then I see him smiling!! Then he even plays around trying to block your path whenever you want to go. Quite dangerous here as traffic is pretty fast in this section as I witness every day.

Whatever he was aiming but this certainly is amusing to say the least. I also see few other onlookers who were equally curious!!
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 05:51   #9072
BHPian

Marathalli to KRP took 1.5 hours yesterday night at 1030 pm. Courtesy useless cop at EMC.
LonelyPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 07:26   #9073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
This is first time I am seeing such antics on road. The video does look scary! Imagine if it was at night and you were alone in the car. A dash cam can really be helpful. There could be chances of this guy catching up to you ahead and asking for compensation, claiming you had hit him!
Good to see you dint haste out of the situation and handled it calmly. :thumbup:
kp1992 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2015, 07:54   #9074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
The above is an old app, the new one launched yesterday is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ubliceye&hl=en
Earlier I could report Incidents like traffic jams, accidents etc from the BTP app, now nothing happens on clicking at it.

Anyone else noticed this?

Regards
Shailesh
Old 5th September 2015, 08:56   #9075
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
That indeed was an experience!
Quite dangerous here as traffic is pretty fast in this section as I witness every day.
Dangerous it is. In fact there was a big truck behind me but luckily for me he was calm too. he stopped at a distance which allowed me to reverse couple of times. The truck driver was sitting very high and he was seeing it from behind me and stopped well behind me.

Quote:
Whatever he was aiming but this certainly is amusing to say the least.
Maybe seeing the Abarth Badge, he went crazy with happiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1992 View Post
There could be chances of this guy catching up to you ahead and asking for compensation, claiming you had hit him!
In fact, the driver of an Indicab that came beside me (you can see it at the end of the video) knocked on the passenger side window asking me to roll down and then asked me If I hit him!
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed