Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2015, 10:14   #9136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Kevin, check my post from yesterday. Haralur road needs to be avoided for next few weeks/days till they fix the drainage on both sides.

Unfortunately for some of us staying on Haralur road makes it impossible to avoid.
Old 10th September 2015, 10:32   #9137
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP View Post
Avoid Haralur road. I can see traffic at a stand still for the last half hour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Haralur road needs to be avoided for next few weeks/days till they fix the drainage on both sides.
Surprisingly, this morning, the usual bottleneck was clear. But, the me-first attitude shown by many people, including well-dressed folks sporting ID cards of some good companies, at Silver County Road-Kudlu Road junction and further ahead near the Narayana school resulted in a grid lock for a while. I'd reported the status in Waze
Old 10th September 2015, 11:20   #9138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Increased income? Compared to other cities?
Yes!
Since you have posted on this thread, I am presuming that you are troubled by the traffic scene at Bangalore.
Would you be willing to take a 10-20% pay cut and move to a smaller town?
To add to it: Perhaps a place where you may not have malls and pubs?

Mostly the answer will be no. Therefore I say that increased income compensates the trouble caused by traffic. Atleast that is what is evident to a person not living in any of the high traffic metros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
Today with better technology, every one can study the situation in Bangalore and then decide to step in or not. Ignorance cannot be an excuse at all. One thing, many people may not find many similar opportunities in their own mother states and cities.
Yes you are right about people not being able to find opportunities in their own states/cities/towns and hence migration.

But come to think of it. If more people start turning down offers from companies at Bagalore citing the traffic and commute and the pain associated with it as a big reason, won't the companies start thinking about a looming problem?

The fact that this never happens means that for the people moving in, the pain caused by traffic/commute is one of the lowest priority!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
However this is the story of all the big cities in India, Delhi & Mumbai too are undersized for their respective populations.
I agree, and you know this is the story EVERYWHERE across the globe.
It just simply shows that human being love to crib, but when the time comes to take action - well they say action speak louder than words - they decide to move to increasingly congested place because of other higher priorities in life - like income and perhaps schools for kids, while making their lives perhaps miserable at the same time.

###

Please note I am not exonerating the authorities whose responsibility is to plan the city. Not at all.
Govt offices don't work at all. They have no compulsion, and therefore they don't.

Last edited by alpha1 : 10th September 2015 at 11:22.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 11:27   #9139
BHPian

Rant Rant Rant : I am really frustrated with the road condition of Basavanpura Main road from Battrahalli Signal on NH4 to Devesandra Road near Ayappa Nagar. I don't know how many of you actually travel on this road, but this road has gone down the gutters literally. It was pathetic to begin with; potholes,craters,half broken speed breakers and what not at every 2 meters on this road. It's only "tractor-able " right now. The condition has come to such a level where sometimes my bike (leave alone my CityZx with it's low GC) also touches some of the half speedbreakers on full load. On top of that BWSSB has dug up the road near the Devasandra road junction for pipe laying and we have fully loaded trucks and Heavy buses to make plying on this road to make the matter worse. I can easily vouch for this being the worst road in Bangalore in terms of sheer road quality. Off late I am also seeing a trend : If you don't have money to construct a speed breaker (it takes cement+jelly + some labour), bring one "Favda" and dig a straight line across the road. No cement, no jelly, only some labour cost. That can also be avoided if you do it yourself personally.
Old 10th September 2015, 11:44   #9140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Yes!
Since you have posted on this thread, I am presuming that you are troubled by the traffic scene at Bangalore.
Mostly the answer will be no. Therefore I say that increased income compensates the trouble caused by traffic. Atleast that is what is evident to a person not living in any of the high traffic metros.
Yes you are right about people not being able to find opportunities in their own states/cities/towns and hence migration.
But come to think of it. If more people start turning down offers from companies at Bagalore citing the traffic and commute and the pain associated with it as a big reason, won't the companies start thinking about a looming problem?
The fact that this never happens means that for the people moving in, the pain caused by traffic/commute is one of the lowest priority!
I agree, and you know this is the story EVERYWHERE across the globe.
It just simply shows that human being love to crib, but when the time comes to take action - well they say action speak louder than words - they decide to move to increasingly congested place because of other higher priorities in life - like income and perhaps schools for kids, while making their lives perhaps miserable at the same time.
###
Please note I am not exonerating the authorities whose responsibility is to plan the city. Not at all.
Govt offices don't work at all. They have no compulsion, and therefore they don't.
Not agreeing much to your sentiments expressed.
I would take a heavy pay, pay a heavy tax, experience better infrastructure.
And it is what everyone is doing in Bangalore, except experiencing the last bit - Infrastructure.
I am paying for the infrastructure, why are the corrupt officials eating it up ?
If I do the same in a Tier II city, it would surpass Bangalore.

By the way, If I were to move to a Tier II city, my pay won't be cut down. I suppose that would be un-ethical, rather illegal. May be a new hire would be offered a less pay package. Anyways, irelevant here.

I whole heartedly agree to your point of refusing job offers which post you in Bangalore. Believe me, a few of my friends have done so. But then they are not Bangalore local youth. So they have their best interest in moving to a city which would be nearby to their home towns.
But this refusal can shake up things in Bangalore.
Even things like Global Investor's Meet, Air Show, big concerts, etc etc should be moved away from Bangalore, citing Infra issues. These things shake the Govt. IT junta sufferring won't shake Govt.

Honestly if I were a client, I would have refused business to a company citing Infra issues in Bangalore.

Anyways, just a note of appreciation in the rants thread.

Probably the best motorable road at present in Bangalore's IT corridor (ORR) is the Kadubisenahalli Underpass.

Lets discuss the motorable roads in Bangalore.

Motorable = No sand / garbage on the sides, no potholes, no vehicles parked on sides, no tea/cigarette shops, no bus stops. Just pure road.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 11:51   #9141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Even things like Global Investor's Meet, Air Show, big concerts, etc etc should be moved away from Bangalore, citing Infra issues. These things shake the Govt. IT junta sufferring won't shake Govt.
Unfortunately for the public many IT companies, concerts still favour bangalore due to it's cosmopolitan culture. There was a talk of Aero India moving away from bangalore to goa. Now that issue has been settled. It will be in Bangalore.

The companies should take the initiative of moving away from Bangalore to other Tier 2 cities like Mysore, Hubli etc. Even Tumkur can be developed. But who will bell the cat???
Old 10th September 2015, 11:55   #9142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Surprisingly, this morning, the usual bottleneck was clear. But, the me-first attitude shown by many people, including well-dressed folks sporting ID cards of some good companies, at Silver County Road-Kudlu Road junction and further ahead near the Narayana school resulted in a grid lock for a while. I'd reported the status in Waze
Usually, i drop my kid at Vibgyor and then go towards Sarjapur Road for office. But today, i saw the traffic piled up still Sobha Cinnamon apartment junction. I was like

But then, later i found that after Narayana school, traffic was Okay (when compared with last few days). When will people wont be selfish?
sbala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 11:56   #9143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes!
Well, since you seem to be assuming so much about me, let me reply. Yes, I am willing to take a pay cut and move to a smaller town. Happily. I have even looked for opportunities. But there aren't roles outside. I would love to live peacefully without having to rant about traffic every day.

And I do take offense at that last line - malls and pubs aren't life.

Last edited by naveenroy : 10th September 2015 at 12:21.
naveenroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 12:07   #9144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Unfortunately for the public many IT companies, concerts still favour bangalore due to it's cosmopolitan culture. There was a talk of Aero India moving away from bangalore to goa. Now that issue has been settled. It will be in Bangalore.

The companies should take the initiative of moving away from Bangalore to other Tier 2 cities like Mysore, Hubli etc. Even Tumkur can be developed. But who will bell the cat???
Agree. In spite of all this mess, I read somewhere that Bangalore still has the highest Office space absorption rate. There were some articles on several high profile companies entering India for the first time and coming in to Bangalore.

I don't think the companies care too much on the traffic or the infrastructure outside- As long as they get world class infrastructure and cyber connectivity inside their selected campuses (which they do). And of course the availability of the immense talent pool that has built up here.

The smaller cities don't seem to be learning much from the big mistakes of the bigger cities and taking pro active steps to set the stage for companies to shift there. For example my home town-in Kerala. A tier 3 city but already a major traffic nightmare and suffering from other infrastructure issues.

We don't have any decent roads and have to crawl on the existing roads, but we have the online infrastructure to zoom on the online super highway at 100mbps

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 10th September 2015 at 12:12.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 12:17   #9145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post

How badly I wanted Aero show to move away to any timbaktu city, than Bangalore !! I don't want to spend 2 +2 hours in traffic to witness such a magnificient show !! I would rather take a flight for 2 hours to go to Goa and watch the show !!

On companies doing their effort, my brother joined as a fresher in a leading IT company. He is currently undergoing training in Mysuru.

On the option of giving a preferred placement location, he selected Bangalore - Hyderabad - Chennai.

Of late, he has been hearing that there is no vacancy in Bangalore and Hyderabad. Instead they are trying to push these freshers to Kochi, Trivandrun and Chennai !

Well, awesome move (for we rant-ers here), but my brother is disheartened that he won't be able to stay with me.
He says he is willing to pay more taxes to build infrastructure and stay in Bangalore. How badly I wish that the Karnataka Govt. had heard this discussion !!
Old 10th September 2015, 12:18   #9146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
And of course the availability of the immense talent pool that has built up here.
Mate, you have hit the nail accurately. It is only because of this factor that many companies still favour Bangalore. As you rightly pointed out, as long as the staff get good net connectivity inside their campuses equipped with malls etc, they will not bother about infrastructure development outside.
This is what precisely the govt is doing. More and more buildings,malls without focusing on the basic requirement: good,broad roads to commute, basic infrastructure like water connection, drainage etc.
It is only ourselves and only ourselves to decide whether to continue our career in IT in bangalore / outside. If you have surplus cash in hand, buy a farm house somewhere close to a village near your home town so that you can relax your weekends.
This is much better than spending time in malls/pubs considering the fact that even weekend travel within city is becoming a pain.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 12:23   #9147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
On the option of giving a preferred placement location, he selected Bangalore - Hyderabad - Chennai.

Of late, he has been hearing that there is no vacancy in Bangalore and Hyderabad. Instead they are trying to push these freshers to Kochi, Trivandrun and Chennai !
Many people somehow do not find favour with Chennai. Reason: hot, humid weather. I lived in chennai for close to 3 years and i can say with confidence that once requires an AC to survive in chennai during the period from March to August. From Septemeber onwards till february , one can easily live without AC. Of course fan will be needed.
Moreover people work in an AC environment. So what if it is hot and humid outside.
To be frank, i still regret the decision of leaving chennai and coming to bangalore.
Old 10th September 2015, 13:34   #9148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Major factors - job, access to good health care, education for kids and some basic amenities like water, power & broadband/fiber connection. This is where big cities like Bangalore score over smaller cities.

If other towns offer these major necessities, then people would be willing to shift. Sadly, small towns don't have these.

PS: Malls & pubs are not necessities - may be they are visited once a week.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 13:39   #9149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy
Yes, I am willing to take a pay cut and move to a smaller town. Happily. I have even looked for opportunities. But there aren't roles outside. I would love to live peacefully without having to rant about traffic every day.
Same goes here. For me, if I am moving to my home-state that decision should be a real solid done after quite a lot of deliberation. Cities like Trivandrum and Kochi are having IT companies coming up. But they are few in number, so if I have to move I need to ensure that I get a steady job out there, or else at least have a feasible backup plan to stay put there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj
I don't think the companies care too much on the traffic or the infrastructure outside- As long as they get world class infrastructure and cyber connectivity inside their selected campuses (which they do). And of course the availability of the immense talent pool that has built up here.
My understanding (which can be corrected always), is that even the "talent pool" available at Bangalore do not really mind the traffic chaos. The young crowd - in 22 to 28 age bucket - may still prefer the city, because of the pubs the malls and cheaper (when compared to families) accommodation options etc. After 28, when most people decides to settle down, that is when I feel they start worrying about traffic and infrastructure issues. The lack of good family accommodation, huge buildings built with no supporting infrastructure, time to be spent with family being spent on the roads etc. etc. The overall cost of living also starts increasing etc. A few people who I know decided to quit the city at this point of time. A few others (30-35 age range) had school going kids and had purchased apartments etc. They do rave and rant, but I guess for them the options have all been exhausted.

In IT industry the pioneers in the jobs (which started some where in 1995-1996 time frame), are all fast approaching their forties. The current infrastructure problem may hit this group really bad, when compared to the younger crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs
It is only ourselves and only ourselves to decide whether to continue our career in IT in bangalore / outside.
Agree with you mate. One of the decisions which I took (after marriage), was to move away to a far flung area out side the busy IT corridor, CBD etc. Luckily the company I work for, has multiple access points and a person need not have to take the busy roads. I was never a pub-hopper or (mall) window-watcher, so that helped. Now for the past two years I am thinking about a move out of this city. I have two more years to take the call, before kid starts going to regular school. Even in IT industry, I feel we should try to identify and get into roles which can be done from home or remote locations. IT consulting is the only job, which comes to my mind now. Many managerial roles (like Service Delivery Manager) etc. requires the person to be in the office floor monitoring the team etc. For people in such roles working remotely would not be an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
Major factors - job, access to good health care, education for kids and some basic amenities like water, power & broadband/fiber connection. This is where big cities like Bangalore score over smaller cities.
Actually there are Tier II cities which covers most of these. I don't know much about the Northern parts of India (UP, Bihar, Jharkhand etc.), but most of the Tier II cities in South India do have a decent level of educational institutions. These places may not have "International" Schools, but a kid would never become a dumbo by studying in these schools. Many of the folks who work in IT today, would have come from such schools (in Tier II cities) only. Health care - there again I don't think Tier II cities in south lack this completely. And one more thing we should remember is that hospital costs in Bangalore are really high. Many companies how ever give insurance coverage, so nobody is feeling the pinch really bad. I come from a Tier II town in Kerala and to be frank, water was never a problem at all any where in our town. The sight of a tractor towing a water tanker to fill up tanks, I saw it after I came to Bangalore . Power situation is also not looking really great in Bangalore at the moment. From what I could make out living cost at Bangalore is really very high, for the comforts offered. What surprises me is that many Tier II cities in south India have not been able to capitalise on the IT boom etc.

Last edited by sachinpk : 10th September 2015 at 13:47.
sachinpk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th September 2015, 13:42   #9150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Usually, i drop my kid at Vibgyor and then go towards Sarjapur Road for office. But today, i saw the traffic piled up still Sobha Cinnamon apartment junction. I was like

But then, later i found that after Narayana school, traffic was Okay (when compared with last few days). When will people wont be selfish?
I use this road every morning and the ND Passion/Shobha Cinnamon junction has become un-predictable. The four way junction can turn into a nightmare in seconds, just by one vehicle violating lane discipline. Result is that all the leading roads are choked. I am sure that I have saved a deadlock atleast couple of times, by just stopping and waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear, instead of blindly following a turning car that is already blocking and going no where.

This junction needs some sort of mini island and approaching lane dividers.

Last edited by bejoy : 10th September 2015 at 13:48.
bejoy is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks