Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2015, 04:04   #9241
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Watch this video captured by my dashcam on Sunday mid-night.

Signal turns Red for the vehicles coming from Silk Board. Xylo stopped and I stopped beside him. Xylo decides to jump signal. A couple on a bike going from BTM 2nd stage to 1st stage, cautiously make a move though the signal is green for them.

Innova from nowhere decides to jump signal and almost rams into the couple on the bike. Missed by a milli second. My heart was pounding after witnessing this. Just crazy. STOP for red, noon or midnight.

fast_elegance is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 07:08   #9242
BHPian

Crazy guys, looks like everyone from all sides were jumping signals. Worst part is that you will have to manoeuvre among these maniacs when light turns green for you too.

Other day, around 9.30 PM, an ambulance had to go on the opposite side of the road, crossing the divider to avoid the traffic signal near Delmia circle. One moron cabbie driving Sumo, just tail gated the ambulance without thinking twice and moved on the other side of the 4 lane road to avoid the signal. With all these heroics, he probably saved 5 minutes of travel time in the end. More than the end result these people get high by breaking the law or taking these short cuts in life. All I can say is "nodi swamy naavirodhe heege" ( "We are like this only sir") ;-)
Old 22nd September 2015, 07:31   #9243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Innova from nowhere decides to jump signal and almost rams into the couple on the bike. Missed by a milli second. My heart was pounding after witnessing this. Just crazy. STOP for red, noon or midnight.
Even in broad daylight when one is waiting for the signal to turn green, there are some impatient drivers who keeping honking behind you. No respect for the cops, No respect for the signals....
Old 22nd September 2015, 10:42   #9244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
I get a feeling that what ever the authorities try doing in HSR layout would actually irritate the people even more; thanks to the way it was all reported. I was reading today's The Hindu and they were talking about people staging dramas on the road, and youngsters playing cricket on the roads. The next question any one will have is, then why were roads built in the first place? Was it for vehicles to move or people to do dramas and play cricket? Instead of that if these reports indicated on how people chose to use the public transport effectively - that would have been better. My understanding was that the whole exercise was to encourage people to use public transport and keep their private vehicles at home.

I stay near Hosapalya main road, and both 24th and 27th main roads, and the entry into Somasundarapalya via 27th main road was blocked.
While I want a better approach to reduce vehicles on the road, this was plain anarchy.
What if someone was ill and needed to be taken to the hospital? I shudder thinking about the time it would take to clear the barricades, clear the "people playing cricket" and the people sitting in the middle of the road doing nothing, to let them pass?

Also, the buses which were playing between KEB and Silk board themselves were getting into a traffic jam trying to take U turns near the road which links 27th and 24th main road.

Also, even though yesterday was a Monday, and Open streets should have been over, the 24th main road near Parangipalya was blocked off completely, for some kind of rock concert. I initially thought it was some kind of function related to Ganesh Chaturthi, until I head the starting guitar music of Hotel California.
Then the lyrics made sense "You can check out anytime, but you can never leave". Scary.
bharat4ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 17:50   #9245
Distinguished - BHPian

Now, since Rajyotsava comes every year, we never know which year he was meaning.

Quote:
BENGALURU: November 1 holds new hope for Bengalureans. The government has promised a pothole-free city this Rajyotsava - that's if civic agencies adhere to the deadline and fill up all the craters.
Link
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 18:11   #9246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_elegance View Post
Were you able to get the Reg. No of both the cars? At least some action is taking by the traffic police on these guys by fining them a big amount which would teach them a lesson. It can also be posted on there Facebook page I guess.
Old 22nd September 2015, 19:11   #9247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionbang View Post
Were you able to get the Reg. No of both the cars? At least some action is taking by the traffic police on these guys by fining them a big amount which would teach them a lesson. It can also be posted on there Facebook page I guess.
I need to check the original video on my system. I dont think the plates are legible. Entry level dashcam to blame.
fast_elegance is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 09:48   #9248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Now, since Rajyotsava comes every year, we never know which year he was meaning.

Link
They've already filled up a lot of potholes in HSR layout. Maybe there might be some truth in this?
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:29   #9249
BHPian

Quote:

Link
Well looks like there is only one team which fill potholes and has started and will end by November 1. So we will have a pothole free Bangalore. But what if...it rains , the shabby patchwork will be destroyed and the poor team members have to start all over again.
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:36   #9250
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
So we will have a pothole free Bangalore. But what if...it rains , the shabby patchwork will be destroyed and the poor team members have to start all over again.
Well, these teams are not really "poor", this is their contractor's way to becoming "rich" in fact They keep repeating these shabby patch up work so that it detriorates soon and they get to do it once more and the (vicious) cycle repeats.
Haven't we seen too much too often of such instances to understand the situation ?
In the whitefield area, they've done patch works at least 4 times in the last year or so and one look at current condition of the road and you will know how bad it is!
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:45   #9251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
But what if...it rains , the shabby patchwork will be destroyed and the poor team members have to start all over again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
In the whitefield area, they've done patch works at least 4 times in the last year or so and one look at current condition of the road and you will know how bad it is!
. It also increase the road height over a period of time. This has a detrimental effect on buildings nearby during rainy season.

Last month when I was in kerala, I took the MC road from Chengannur to Trivandrum airport, the roads were super smooth, I've never seen such quality roads in kerala. The bangalore-hassan stretch is also good, but I would rate the MC road higher.

Wish bangalore had such roads, everyone (bbmp, bda, contractors) is slowly killing this once beautiful city.
Old 23rd September 2015, 10:52   #9252
Senior - BHPian

Well speaking of potholes, was listening to radio out of the blues. Tuned in to hear Shraddha on Fever 104.

She had called up the new Mayor of Bangalore, some Reddy (IIRC).
The guy spoke in Hindi and Shraddha applauded his spoken Hindi and he was like all shy and all.

She brought up the dangerous question - When are you fixing potholes.
The mayor said that they have already started inspection work, to which Shraddha said "Only inspection aaa, no work aaa" and the mayor felt ashamed and covered up. He said that potholes filling is complete in Electronic City, Hosur Road and Bomanahalli.

Point to be inferred - Only pothole filling, no tarring of roads or anything. So what we have now are bumps all over the road, instead of potholes.

And then Shraddha asked what do you want to wish Bangaloreans on Eid. And the fellow conveyed his wishes.

Then she brought up anyther witty question, are you veggie or non-veggie, to which he shyly says he is veg on puja days, including eid

The 2-3 mins of coversation was so witty and fun, I almost fell off my chair laughing !!! This girl is too good.
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 11:04   #9253
BHPian

Quote:

Link
So this happened.

Bull Temple road in Basavanagudi caved in.

https://twitter.com/BloreConnect/sta...57140149137408
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-cpjotpeu8aastjp.jpg  

bharat4ever is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:09   #9254
Senior - BHPian

That doesn't look like a cave-in . Looks like it was dug up.

EDIT : As per this report the road caved in as a bus passed by . Terrible !

Last edited by sdp1975 : 23rd September 2015 at 12:14.
Old 23rd September 2015, 12:31   #9255
JD1
BHPian

Yesterday night while returning (around 11pm), I saw road rollers and other road equipment at the base of Agara flyover (traveling towards Silk Board). Did anyone see any road work happening around that area (ORR or HSR)?

Most Viewed