Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2015, 19:22   #9451
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

I was a complete moron today by choosing to return home via ORR instead of my usual KR Puram route. Got a well deserved two hour crawling drive home instead of a one hour sedate commute through KR Puram. I entered ORR a little before Marathahalli and right from there, till after Ecospace there was one or the other issue. Only after Ecospace the road mysteriously opened up and until Agara it was free after which I turned off the ORR towards Kormangala. Situation was no better there either

So decided today, even if KR Puram comes under apocalypse, I am going to take that route and never ever coming towards the ORR.
Old 7th October 2015, 19:53   #9452
BHPian

Pleasantly surprised at 7:30 pm to see the Kadubisanahalli to Intel flyover (and till silkboard) with butter smooth traffic :thumbup: after last 2 days of snail paced traffic..
Old 7th October 2015, 19:57   #9453
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
FOLKS: POTHOLE ALERT ON ORR

As one heads towards bellandur from marathahalli and takes the Kadubeesnahalli underpass, after driving down the ramp just before the upward ramp starts, potholes have formed on the left portion of the underpass especially where there is water stagnation.

This will only worsen in the days to come. What more this stretch was relaid, may be few months back.
So people while driving down the underpass, stick to the right most portion of the same.
And saw the potholes formed on rightmost lane as well today. So it seems that only middle lane is still intact. I was telling my colleague who was driving about the recent work done on this underpass and then baam goes the car on pothole!! Short lived happiness.
Old 8th October 2015, 09:26   #9454
BHPian

Total chaos at silkboard. Police checking all the cabs, especially TT. Our office commute TT also stopped. As the driver was not having tax receipt police told us get down and carry-on with some other means. Driver said reciept is at home. One officer sat inside the TT, went to driver's house itself!

Now we are in Ola cab and on the way to office.
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 09:38   #9455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
Total chaos at silkboard. Police checking all the cabs, especially TT. Our office commute TT also stopped. As the driver was not having tax receipt police told us get down and carry-on with some other means. Driver said reciept is at home. One officer sat inside the TT, went to driver's house itself!

Now we are in Ola cab and on the way to office.
In the name of catching offenders, they are causing hardship to public. As such Bangalore is such a city that even a small bottleneck is more than enough to create a python length traffic jam.

If they run BMTC buses past 10 PM and stop issuing permits to private vehicles, all such incidents will stop. Instead of saying people do not use buses after 10 PM, create demand for more buses by operating them. To the best of my knowledge in Chennai city, we do not have private buses running on MTC routes. Plus for all interior roads, the transport corporation is running mini buses.
Plus the cops are more feared in chennai compared to bangalore.
Old 8th October 2015, 09:41   #9456
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, a dream drive to work this morning. Tin factory junction was almost empty with traffic only from the Old Madras road side, absolutely no vehicles coming from Kasturingar on the ORR ramp. I had never seen something like this at 8:30am ever!
A 30 minute drive to work was good (the last 10 minutes of the drive were spent on the Hoodi-Big Bazaar junction stretch).

In other news, a couple days ago I saw the cops and some BBMP workers "finalising" the NGEF junction traffic plan. An island was being built at the NGEF Road-Old madras road junction and median was being built on old madras road in front of the junction upto the railway line that runs across the road at Suranjan Das Road junction.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 09:45   #9457
BHPian

Two common reasons i have observed for traffic chaos is
1. People unwilling to yield (at the cost of few minutes)
2. Minor scuffles tamper the ego and the affected parties seem to like getting a pleasure in having other passers by stopped. They tend to fight out these mishaps in the middle of the road.
There have been many occassions when i got off my two wheeler, parked it on the side and played a traffic cop in the Vignan nagar - Kagadaspura T-Junction, just because people are unwilling to yield.

Not to sound pessimistic, but with more investments, higher salaries resulting in buying more automotives while the land isnt increasing, the situation is only gonna get worse.
Good that kerberon tried to put up few electric cycles, but this is not going to feed the 1million + office goers.
The metro phase 1 went live, but it hardly connected the multitude of people going to Embassy golf links.
Hopefully with bangalore being in the smart city list - our children should expect some respite by the time they drive cars!

Last edited by FuelInjector : 8th October 2015 at 09:53. Reason: adding data
Old 8th October 2015, 09:46   #9458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In Bangalore the traffic cops are a laughable lot. They have only 2 jobs, one is to make money from soft targets and the other is VIP duty. Rest can go to hell. This TT checking frenzy is a knee jerk reaction to the rape case. It'll die down in a couple of days, then back to business
goandude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 10:06   #9459
BHPian

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge in Chennai city, we do not have private buses running on MTC routes. Plus for all interior roads, the transport corporation is running mini buses.
Also, all the roads are well lit whereas street lights in Bangalore seem to be a luxury that only a few roads can afford!
Even after a lot of complaints, I have never seen street lights work for the past 4 years in the whitefield EPIP zone but all the advertisement hoardings on the same roads are brightly lit!
Old 8th October 2015, 10:32   #9460
BHPian

Reading the past few posts and so many others I think the authorities ignore to the maximum the average office goer. This class of people just write about it on blogs and email and joke about it on Whatsapp. They do not do that would awaken the authorities.
Some people who do conciously make the difference trigger the authorities to action which is a temporary fix rather than solving the problem at the root.
For example most of the damaged roads could ideally be re-laid but the potholes are covered with mud , then tar. Neither of them hold under the burden of traffic. So the root cause is poor roads and instead of relaying the road properly it is filled with tar which lasts for some days and then disappears.
Road widening , newer flyovers better planning of roads are all long term solutions which will take to implement. The quickest thing is making good roads and the traffic will pass by faster.
Actually IMHO many traffic issues would be solved just by re-laying the existing roads with good quality tar. As it is a slow vehicle causes the long line behind it to slow down. Poor roads cause many to slow down resulting in long queues and lines and slow moving and standstill traffic.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 10:33   #9461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
Also, all the roads are well lit whereas street lights in Bangalore seem to be a luxury that only a few roads can afford!
Even after a lot of complaints, I have never seen street lights work for the past 4 years in the whitefield EPIP zone but all the advertisement hoardings on the same roads are brightly lit!
BBMP gets huge amount of money through the ad hoardings while the streetlights are meant for aam aadmi . Of course we pay money in the form of Electricity bill to BESCOM, but that amount is peanuts when compared to the money BBMP gets through hoardings.
Old 8th October 2015, 10:44   #9462
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Wow, a dream drive to work this morning. Tin factory junction was almost empty with traffic only from the Old Madras road side, absolutely no vehicles coming from Kasturingar on the ORR ramp. I had never seen something like this at 8:30am ever!
A 30 minute drive to work was good (the last 10 minutes of the drive were spent on the Hoodi-Big Bazaar junction stretch).
Yaay same here. I left BSK home at 6:35 and reached my office near Zuri at 7:15 today. Not sure what they did below the KR Puram bridge. I guess they heard my previous post I just hope its like this everyday. It will save ten minutes easily.

But a slight bummer at that time was a bunch of container trucks were on whitefield road slowing down traffic. Given that the left lane is non existent for some distance, this had created a choke. Anyways since my happiness level had raised because of KR Puram, I let go of this and slowly moved behind the trucks.

I only saw a police bike below the bridge and nothing significant of a change. Not sure why traffic was less.

Even if they close that turn near NGEF, some morons on two wheelers and auto drivers will try to sqeeze through the gap at the railway track. If they want a foolproof solution, they should seal the track with a barricade and remove it if there is any movement on the tracks, which is again a rare sight.
Old 8th October 2015, 13:30   #9463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

I only saw a police bike below the bridge and nothing significant of a change. Not sure why traffic was less.

Maybe it was choked somewhere along the route prior to KR Puram at that time. Or there was slow moving traffic which hadn't reached when you passed by.

This happens all the time on my way to work. Empty ORR means somewhere else it is choked up so the roads up ahead are clear. Also on the single roads that I pass , I am worried if there is no traffic in the opposite direction and I am able to overtake other vehicles. Definitely somewhere it is choked. This pattern is different on Sunday only. Even Saturdays see heavy traffic.

Its rather ironical that no traffic from the opposite direction worries me
Old 8th October 2015, 14:16   #9464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The reason behind this might be the accident between Nagavara and Hennur cross as reported in the accidents thread. Here is the link. I am sure until and unless there is a specific reason, Bangalore traffic cannot get easier so quickly.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2015, 14:20   #9465
Distinguished - BHPian

Terrible traffic all around Mallya Hospital due to SRK's hospitalization. Entire Kasturba Road jammed from the MG road side (MG statue) right down ITC Gardenia. Other side also getting very busy from Corporation Circle side too.

Dread the evening commute today!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks