Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2015, 16:39   #9481
JD1
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Beware! Pappu in town for his Mandya trip. Traffic building up very quickly at Mekhri Circle, Windsor Manor and Hebbal.

EDIT: Seems he will be back again in the evening :-(
I am traveling to Mysore next week so hopefully his trip would have taken care of fixing any bad roads
Old 9th October 2015, 17:25   #9482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
I am traveling to Mysore next week so hopefully his trip would have taken care of fixing any bad roads
Dream on. Pappu took a chopper
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 20:06   #9483
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

today morning, on my way to office in ecospace from sarjapur road :

1) suffered the usual pain of "im smarter than you" moves (from many indicabs, innovas and software engineer sedans) while trying to string my car through the "narrow" bottle neck that caters to folks trying to turn left into suncity apts, as well as east-bound people wanting to join the ORR from sarjapur road. The signal sequence is so pathetic that it allows these suncity bound guys to stop and wait for their signal in this already narrow "needle eye".

2) out of the corner of my eye, notice a black getz almost side swiping me from the left, inorder to side skip the suncity bound stoppers. Applied brakes immediately and avoided damage to my left fender, narrowly - heard abuses and honks from cabbies/TTs behind me

3) now, this being my daily commute, I usually choose the leftmost/next leftmost lane till the bellandur flyover, as these lanes are faster than the others (3 lane road has 5 lanes of traffic at this hour). It so happened that I was again in the vicinity of the same rashly drive getz, on top of the bellandur flyover. The getz was being driven like a bike through traffic. Unfortunately, I was once again nearly a victim despite keeping my thumb planted on my horn - reason, the getz was behind a laden truck and could not bear 10 seconds of other cars zipping (actually crawling) by , and violently swerved on to my lane which was slightly faster. No use of mirrors, no flashing of indicators, nothing.

This sent my blood to boil, i was foaming in the mouth and decided to give a piece of my mind to this moron after i get down from the flyover and somehow catch him. I managed to come alongside this black getz - and what I saw, shocked me ! It was a puny girl, barely able to fill the driving seat. Looked like she was in her 11th/12th standard (enough lipstick to show that she was late teens and not a child) - barely able to look over the steering, white earphones plugged, chatting with somebody on the phone, with a lit cigarette on the right hand. The shock blew away my anger. I said to myself - enough is enough - hope she reaches her destination in one piece. Can't get the image out of my head though - who does this ? in peak traffic ? crazy !

Last edited by venkyhere : 9th October 2015 at 20:11.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2015, 20:13   #9484
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
.........what I saw, shocked me ! looked like a girl in her 10th/11th standard - barely able to look over the steering, white earphones plugged, chatting with somebody on the phone, with a lit cigarette on the right hand. The shock blew away my anger. I said to myself - enough is enough - hope she reaches her destination in one piece. Can't get the image out of my head though - who does this ? in peak traffic ? crazy !
While I appreciate you not engaging in a duel (verbal or otherwise) irrespective of who was behind the wheel, you really should report this to the authorities if you remember the car's details or have a dashcam for footage.

If it's actually a young teen as you suspect, she could very easily hurt herself or someone else badly with her ignorant driving.
Old 9th October 2015, 20:35   #9485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post

1) suffered the usual pain of "im smarter than you" moves (from many indicabs, innovas and software engineer sedans) while trying to string my car through the "narrow" bottle neck that caters to folks trying to turn left into suncity apts, as well as east-bound people wanting to join the ORR from sarjapur road. The signal sequence is so pathetic that it allows these suncity bound guys to stop and wait for their signal in this already narrow "needle eye".
Molested is what I can define the way I was pushed across the road from marathahalli to sarjapura this tuesday. I was forced to change lanes abruptly in order to maintain some distance from those horrible cab drivers and a few private cars as well. To add to this horror, there were two wheelers acting as packing material all around my car. It causes more stress and strain while driving. My commute through the city is so very relaxing compared to the ORR.
Old 9th October 2015, 22:08   #9486
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Dream on. Pappu took a chopper
Sigh :( I should have realized this sooner and not got my hopes up!

For the first time today in God knows how many months, we experienced absolutely zero traffic at Marathalli underpass (Southbound towards Bellandur). Zipped thru the underpass (@ 5:35 pm) and in no time we crossed the dreaded Marathahalli u-turn as well only to be stuck before Kadubeesanahalli underpass. The reason was not volume of traffic or bad drivers, but the 1-month old tarred underpass was now totally broken as you come out. Corner to corner totally broken thruout the width of the underpass as you come out forcing all vehicles to come to almost zero! It has become quite dangerous, especially for 2-wheelers as even at 5:40 it was quite dark in the underpass and as you come out you are greeted with broken road!
Old 9th October 2015, 22:58   #9487
JD1
BHPian

Jam alert- Agara flyover huge jam. Traffic is standstill in direction of Sarjapur (11pm)
Old 10th October 2015, 02:28   #9488
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
Jam alert- Agara flyover huge jam. Traffic is standstill in direction of Sarjapur (11pm)
Apparently there was an accident between Agara flyover and Sarjapur.
Lots of cops and locals running across roads on both the carriageways. Some broken glasses and oils on the road as well.

Could be a case of jumping over median and cashing into vehicles.

Bothe carriageways (Agara - Sarjapur and Sarjapur Agara) on the Army base camp stretch was choked.

I crossed (on the Agara - Sarjapur - Marathalli carriageway) around 11:30 pm and scene was getting worse.
Old 10th October 2015, 07:42   #9489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post

I crossed (on the Agara - Sarjapur - Marathalli carriageway) around 11:30 pm and scene was getting worse.
I was there too, stuck in the endless traffic pile up at around 11 PM. The Jam started all the way from Ecospace flyover (opposite Central mall). Any more details on what exactly happened ??
Old 10th October 2015, 11:34   #9490
BHPian

Traffic Alert : Apparently there has been a fire at McDonalds in Gopalan Signature mall, Old Madras Road. As usual curious onlookers have created a sort of mini jam for no reason. BTW, I was one of those lucky few who managed to flee the movie show abruptly at the mall. May be due to morning hours, the rush inside the mall was low and not much hassels while taking out the car from parking.
adi_gt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 13:28   #9491
JD1
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1992 View Post
I was there too, stuck in the endless traffic pile up at around 11 PM. The Jam started all the way from Ecospace flyover (opposite Central mall). Any more details on what exactly happened ??
Oh I did not realize the jam was in other direction also because Agara flyover (towards Silkboard) was free.
Someone has posted on BTP page and I am quoting his post here-
---
"Today 9th Oct 2015 around 10.50pm, while coming from office found traffic jam after bellandur flyour, so while passing on military area (between Agara village and Ibbalur village) found accident, people were said Cisco employee died on spot, even i saw employee died on spot due to severe head injury. Found fancy half helmet was laying next him. if full face helmet would have used, might have survived. But that stretch majority IT companies cabs (sumo, Tempo traveler, Indica, water tanks lorries) always comes at very high speed). in that road 2 humps must to reduce speed including in service roads. In that stretch seen many accidents in the past. Many people are hitted fly over wall. Nowadays people get 100 mtrs stretch clear road, they go 80 -100 km speed."
---

Too bad about the unfortunate death. RIP.
When I saw the jam, I tried calling control room. First try was 103 but it did not go thru from my mobile (is there any trick to this? Should I be adding 080 or +91 before 103 and such numbers?). Then tried 080-22943663 and got "Out of order" voice prompt. Next was 080-22943030 where someone picked up and asked me to call 3131 so then I tried 080-22943131. This time it went thru and the person told that there is an accident and BTP staff is there.
(I wasn't driving - I saw the flyover from my apartment).

In separate news in todays TOI, looks like our CM got a mouthful from RaGa.
Attached Thumbnails
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-roads.jpg  

JD1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 17:57   #9492
Senior - BHPian

An observation (update) on using BMTC as a reliable mode of transport. Today I had decided to become a good samaritan and rely on BMTC for a multi-stop trip in the city. I have a monthly pass, so paying for each fare etc. is out of the question. No problems money wise, or dealing with conductors etc.
1. BMTC is best when your origin and destination are covered by one single bus route (example: Electronics City to Majestic, Electronics City to KR Market).
2. It is farely reliable if your route is actually a trunk route (example: Electronics City to Madivala, or Shivaji Nagar to KR Puram and beyond). In these trunk routes, there are numerous bus services (various numbers, various names) which operate.
3. Totally unreliable for moving within two points in the city (example: Madivala mosque to Millers Road, Indira Nagar PS bus stop to Madivala PS bus stop). I had waited for nearly 20-30 mins for the bus which was to take me to my destination. None turned up, during this 20 mins time period. Finally, used an auto rickshaw and an OLA cab. The money spent on these two rides, would pretty much equal the amount I would have fill Diesel in my vehicle. I was only saved from two hassles; driving & finding a parking space.

------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1
When I saw the jam, I tried calling control room. First try was 103 but it did not go thru from my mobile (is there any trick to this? Should I be adding 080 or +91 before 103 and such numbers?)
I had witnessed an accident around six months back. I tried all options to reach the free ambulance service on 108. It did not work. I have an AirTel connection. The place where the accident happened is actually in Bangalore Rural district, so did not try the Traffic Control # on 103. I some how get a feeling that Mobile operators (especially non-BSNL) do not have any strong mechanism (or inclination) to provide good support here. May be they would have allowed calls to 100 to go through easily.

Quote:
In separate news in todays TOI, looks like our CM got a mouthful from RaGa.
Surprisingly all folks who generally ask PM Narendra Modi to respond to their concerns (be it a chain snatching incident or theft) is all quiet when it comes to asking tough questions to the state CM. But that is politics.
sachinpk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 22:00   #9493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
An observation (update) on using BMTC as a reliable mode of transport. Today I had decided to become a good samaritan and rely on BMTC for a multi-stop trip in the city. I have a monthly pass, so paying for each fare etc. is out of the question. No problems money wise, or dealing with conductors etc.
1. BMTC is best when your origin and destination are covered by one single bus route (example: Electronics City to Majestic, Electronics City to KR Market).
2. It is farely reliable if your route is actually a trunk route (example:
Compared to MTC buses in Chennai, BMTC fares are comparatively costly. BMTC should realize that operating Volvo buses alone will not cater to customer needs. Not everyone can afford a Volvo including IT folks.
For eg to travel to ITPL from Silk board, the normal bus fare is Rs 24 while the Volvo bus fare is Rs 80.
What the commuters need is good buses (not necessarily volvo) operating at good frequency.
Given an option I would commute by normal BMTC bus . But if you wait at Silk board during peak hours, you will find only volvo buses to ITPL.
In Chennai, we do have volvo buses plying but majority of them are the normal AL/TATA buses.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 10:18   #9494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Compared to MTC buses in Chennai, BMTC fares are comparatively costly. BMTC should realize that operating Volvo buses alone will not cater to customer needs. Not everyone can afford a Volvo including IT folks.
For eg to travel to ITPL from Silk board, the normal bus fare is Rs 24 while the Volvo bus fare is Rs 80.
What the commuters need is good buses (not necessarily volvo) operating at good frequency.
Given an option I would commute by normal BMTC bus . But if you wait at Silk board during peak hours, you will find only volvo buses to ITPL.
In Chennai, we do have volvo buses plying but majority of them are the normal AL/TATA buses.
+ 1 to it. One look at the Non-AC buses in Bangalore and you don't even feel like getting into it, I without choice once boarded the normal bus and the bus was like going to fall apart. Comparing this with Chennai & Mumbai, the normal buses are miles ahead in terms of quality, especially the buses in Mumbai, I never had to use AC services in other 2 cities.
Old 11th October 2015, 11:45   #9495
JD1
BHPian

Regarding the Friday night biker accident between Agara and Iblur, per the report in TOI today, the biker was carrying the helmet instead of wearing it. Unfortunately he hit the median and met with tragic death.
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/A...11102015003022

However much public campaign and catch-and-fine campaign BTP does, it all comes down to individual's safety compliance and willingness to prioritize safety over inconvenience.
JD1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed