Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2015, 09:48   #9541
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Thanks Kiloalpha and Itwasn't me. I'm very clear now. I may take the longer route via Hebbal as I'll be reaching late night. It appears to be less confusing.

By the way,I'll be staying the night at Golden Palms, Narayanpura, and tomorrow I need to scout around Dell on road # 2, Whitefield for decent PG accommodation for my daughter who's taking up her first job.

I'd appreciate inputs on the best route to Whitefield, and the expected bottlenecks. If I start around 1130 am, how long will it take me to reach Whitefield/ ITPL area?

Thanks.
Old 16th October 2015, 10:07   #9542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I need to scout around Dell on road # 2, Whitefield for decent PG accommodation for my daughter who's taking up her first job.

I'd appreciate inputs on the best route to Whitefield, and the expected bottlenecks. If I start around 1130 am, how long will it take me to reach Whitefield/ ITPL area?
Not sure about the traffic conditions at 1130, but I feel its better to come via Outer Ring Road, KR Puram, and after passing the bridge take the ITPL main road and not the Ring road, ie keep left and dont take the flyover that is the outer ring road.

From ITPL main road, its better you have some navigation since there is a wierd network of one ways. At Hoodi Junction you can take a left, and go all the way till graphite india junction where there is a compulsory left. This will get you right in front of Dell. Have attached the map:

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-capture.png

From KR Puram bridge, Dell will be around 30mins if there is regular traffic, but since I see you are visiting on a weekend, it could be lesser as long as there isnt a damn bus or truck stuck causing a huge bottleneck . Sometimes the whole road #2 can become a standstill.

There are no signals this route but a lot of bottlenecks. Hence difficult to predict the time. From my office(MBRDI) to KR Puram takes nearly half hour if I leave at 430PM. However it is around 20 mins if I leave at 4:25. Hence, a lot can change within minutes.

Coming back to our usual rant, I heard that some special team of traffic police was deputed to whitefield this week to improve the traffic situation. Did anyone experience betterment? I see nothing better.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 10:20   #9543
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks, audioholic. Really helps a lot for someone new to Bangalore. I'm carrying my original docs and a PUC of August, just in case the notorious cops stop me for Life tax!

May I ask how long will it take to reach KR Puram Jn from Golden Palms? Are there any flyovers to take or avoid on that route? I'm asking because the only road I've driven on is the one going straight from Hebbal towards Palace Grounds and then onto Brigade Road. I've never used that ORR.
Old 16th October 2015, 11:11   #9544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
May I ask how long will it take to reach KR Puram Jn from Golden Palms? Are there any flyovers to take or avoid on that route? I'm asking because the only road I've driven on is the one going straight from Hebbal towards Palace Grounds and then onto Brigade Road. I've never used that ORR.
I dont commute along that stretch, but from your place of stay you will reach the ring road through Hennur Main road. The ring road is signal free apart from a few bottlenecks. Once you enter the ring road you should take a left towards KR Puram, it will usually take around 10 minutes to reach KR Puram if traffic is free flowing. Once you near KR Puram, there could be slow moving traffic all the way till you pass the bridge. After the bridge its again 15-20mins given there is no traffic jam to reach Dell.

If google shows that the Hoodi main road is clogged, continue straight towards prestige shantiniketan and take two right turns to reach EPIP zone. Since this is usually the return route it will be empty before noon compared to going to Graphite India and taking a left which is the onward route for all people coming from Marathahalli side. Hence, there are more chances of jams in route 1 like I have shown compared to route 2 below:

Route 1
Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1208
Size:  171.8 KB

Alternate route 2
Name:  2.PNG
Views: 1204
Size:  117.8 KB
Old 16th October 2015, 11:15   #9545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post

If google shows that the Hoodi main road is clogged, continue straight towards prestige shantiniketan and take two right turns to reach EPIP zone. Since this is usually the return route it will be empty before noon compared to going to Graphite India and taking a left which is the onward route for all people coming from Marathahalli side. Hence, there are more chances of jams in route 1 like I have shown compared to route 2 below:
[/ATTACH]
Thank you very much. You've helped killing two birds with one stone. We were anyway planning to check out a PG accommodation at Prestige Shantiniketan!
Old 16th October 2015, 13:35   #9546
BHPian

Quote:
At Hoodi Junction you can take a left, and go all the way till graphite india junction where there is a compulsory left. This will get you right in front of Dell. Have attached the map:
I guess he has to take right lane road for going towards Graphite India at Hoodi junction (if coming from KR Puram side). Left goes to Ayyappa Nagar.

Quote:
Coming back to our usual rant, I heard that some special team of traffic police was deputed to whitefield this week to improve the traffic situation. Did anyone experience betterment? I see nothing better.
Don't see any significant change in traffic condition, but those guys uniform looks better (Navy Blue/White).

Saw some trucks with fresh load of tarmac on Varthur road today morning, that stretch of broken road might see some repair work finally.

Last edited by Nempuguru : 16th October 2015 at 13:40.
Old 16th October 2015, 13:50   #9547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
I guess he has to take right lane road for going towards Graphite India at Hoodi junction (if coming from KR Puram side). Left goes to Ayyappa Nagar.
Yes and sorry for the typo. It should be right. And in order to take a successful right turn here , one should enter the right lane right after the road turns into a one way a little after ABB. By successful I mean a turn that doesnt involve having to change lanes in the last moment and cut through traffic coming from Devsandra main road. Else it will lead to some intense honks and severe confrontations
Old 16th October 2015, 16:27   #9548
BHPian

Jam alert: Truck breakdown in front of the Mahadevapura police station, jam from Gopalan school till the police station. Truck was undergoing repair and police supervising it. Do check before heading in this direction
Old 16th October 2015, 19:01   #9549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
First is a boom barrier:
Second is a dune barrier:
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Amazing, is this legal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
This move is definitely illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Try telling that to people near Madivala lake and near Udupi gardens.
They became En-gated community!

While, BBMP is de-gateing communities.
Quote:
Around 300 persons among those who had bought villas in the gated community ‘Classic Orchards’ on Bannerghatta Road were recently in for a surprise when BBMP officials landed up to literally demolish their gate and compound, demanding access to the roads inside. The developer had relinquished the roads to the BBMP.
Sometimes its tough to understand who is right, especially in Bangalore
Old 16th October 2015, 19:07   #9550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I heard that some special team of traffic police was deputed to whitefield this week to improve the traffic situation. Did anyone experience betterment? I see nothing better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nempuguru View Post
Don't see any significant change in traffic condition, but those guys uniform looks better (Navy Blue/White).
These people are called Traffic Wardens. General public who volunteer to help with Bangalore's chaotic traffic situation.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2015, 10:49   #9551
Distinguished - BHPian

Again no offense intended for those owning vehicles that are about to be mentioned, but I'm noticing that 2 wheeler riders, specially KTM Duke are absolutely reckless riders and look for every opportunity to zoom about at triple digits even in city limits and crowded roads at that. Also observed certain Skoda Rapid owners indulging in similar reckless driving. The same can be said about the Suzuki scooterette/Honda Activa riders who take every opportunity to carelessly zig-zag at peak speeds.

Also there are certain heavily modded small cars (superficially) like Grand i10's & Zens indulging in homicidal driving. A Grand i10 with sporty stickers and loud exhaust was honking at me continuously in a crowded street, he then proceeded to turn with inches distance to his left and zoomed away by cutting off a few more vehicles in front. Firstly the Grand is no car to be doing such stunts in, if it were a track situation my stock Getz would be running rings around this car with a laggardly performing 1.2 engine.

My frustration is with only the drivers/riders and not the modes of transport (which is natural), I'm observing a dangerous trend in this city.. speed, reckless pushing of the accelerator. Surprisingly the larger European car drivers with powerful engines drive tamely and normally while the "pseudo hot-hatch" drivers throw caution to the wind literally, endangering others lives. This room believes in safety so much that cars are being bashed based on safety-kit on offer, how about criticizing such drivers who resort to a form of road guerrilla warfare or should I say terrorism?

Last edited by dark.knight : 17th October 2015 at 10:51.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2015, 19:33   #9552
Senior - BHPian

Folks
Today I drove to Attibele to visit my wife's cousin. The Bommasandra flyover has been relaid while the Chandapura flyover has been dug. I guess it will be relaid soon. Till then one has to endure some rough drive.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 09:57   #9553
Senior - BHPian

Traffic alert: BETL choked towards ECity till HGS. There's a broken down bus on the right lane. Keep to the left.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 15:10   #9554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Again no offense intended for those owning vehicles that are about to be mentioned, but I'm noticing that 2 wheeler riders,
Dark Knight, I think you covered off 80% of bangalore traffic under the scooters

Is it possible that the European cars are driven more sedately because they cost a bomb to fix/repair/repaint?

I don't think we can single out any specific trend. Overall, Bangalore has become impatient e.g. bikers cutting across the Bangalore Marathon or the frequent funny and not so funny incidents.
The city needs to calm down and for that to happen, we need better enforcement. We need a fully functional metro and a healthy presence of traffic policemen who are not busy cordoning roads off for VIP movements.
MPs in UK travel by cycle, tubes and even cabs. Why do our MPs need a 4 car convoy? If he/she feels so scared to walk amongst the same set of people who voted for him, I personally do not think that person deserves that office.
Lakes are being set on fire, people are being abducted from the city streets, 5 hours of power cut, the average Joe is really miffed.
Unless the authorities choose to climb down from their crystal towers, things will continue to be grim and depressing.
aqualeo2040 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th October 2015, 16:43   #9555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Again no offense intended for those owning vehicles that are about to be mentioned, but I'm noticing that 2 wheeler riders, specially KTM Duke are absolutely reckless riders and look for every opportunity to zoom about at triple digits even in city limits and crowded roads at that.
Hi dark.knight, good you brought out this point, better late than never, again not to nitpick anyone, what I have seen in Bangalore roads are bike riders [be it KTM or R15 or P220's] who wear proper riding gears follow the traffic rules, maintain good safe speed in city limits and ride responsibly. Whereas, riders without any riding gears, even without a helmet, zoom in as though they own the road and behave very carelessly. I really pity them and their family.

Only thing what I want to tell them is that, if at all they want to show off their skills let me show it on any race track, understand their bike's potential and behave responsibly on the road.

Fact is that, all these mistakes are not done by an uneducated person, indeed done by so called "educated" folks and teenagers.
Full_Minchingu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks