Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2015, 20:51   #9556
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Dark Knight, I think you covered off 80% of bangalore traffic under the scooters Is it possible that the European cars are driven more sedately because they cost a bomb to fix/repair/repaint?
The problem now is, and its something that's increasing by the day - road rules were made for certain reasons like for smooth flow of traffic, enabling pedestrian to cross, ensuring accidents do not happen, etc.. initially there was about 95% conformity which worked but now the percentages are dropping quick and in a myriad of ways. For example one driver/rider will be going at 80-90kmph in city (illegal speed-limit) and he would successfully cross the light before it turns red, driver/rider #2 behind him, not to be emasculated would keep up but break the light rule as a result.. the #3 driver/rider to the left or right of #2 grabbing the opportunity would take a sharp left or right to tail the quick moving vehicles. Upon having stopped yet another motorist would honk angrily (unnecessary use of horn) asking the person in front of him why he did not break the rules as is the norm. Perversion of rules is todays archetype & that's scary. Its also scary that people are putting the full limits of so called hot-cars to test, in India much less(more?) Bangalore it is the biggest crime you can commit.

Safety is of paramount importance to motorists as they endlessly talk about "tank" like build, innumerable airbags, fantastic grip etc.. I don't understand what's the point of talking about safety when the driving is such that it might endanger a bike, a pedestrian, another car etc. People think that driving in exotic rides in high speeds is a sign of being an ubermensch, an iconoclast so to speak, to me they are simply- foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Minchingu View Post
Fact is that, all these mistakes are not done by an uneducated person, indeed done by so called "educated" folks and teenagers.
Glad you took my post for what it was, and yes.. majority of them are in fact, well-educated and successful. Few are almost double the age of teenagers which makes the situation quite pathetic. There is scant respect for life for the average motorist.. the increasing cabs & thiskart thatkart.com delivery vehicles are making the situation much much worse. If BHPians indeed believe in the true meaning of safety and I think we do, we should be making a lot more noise than what we're already doing, it all starts with safe riding/driving.. safety features comes only next & everyone has to do it for it to work.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 06:50   #9557
Senior - BHPian

FOLKS: TRAFFIC ALERT
A reasonably big sized branch of a tree has fallen on the Kundalahalli main road close to the signal.
So users commuting on this stretch , watch out.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 07:02   #9558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
FOLKS: TRAFFIC ALERT
A reasonably big sized branch of a tree has fallen on the Kundalahalli main road close to the signal.
So users commuting on this stretch , watch out.
To be Precise, it after Spice Garden and opposite to Star Bazaar. Hope it will not cause much problem as it can be easily moved aside by 5-8 people.

Regards
chandrda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 07:53   #9559
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't know why they cut the tree and just left it there. Didn't create a problem as such in the morning. Today I took the bus and thankfully nothing much of a jam.

Holiday effect has me reaching from ITPL to BSK within an hour in the evening at around five in car. Different story with bus though.
Old 21st October 2015, 09:27   #9560
Distinguished - BHPian

What's the scene today at St. Johns- Water Tank Signal-Madiwala Market - Total Mall Junction like?

Festival today and tomorrow and I already saw vendors and buyers blocking right hand side lanes beside the median and expecting it to get worse today like the Ganesha Festival time. Will be passing this section in an hour from now towards EC.
Old 21st October 2015, 09:51   #9561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
What's the scene today at St. Johns- Water Tank Signal-Madiwala Market - Total Mall Junction like?

Festival today and tomorrow and I already saw vendors and buyers blocking right hand side lanes beside the median and expecting it to get worse today like the Ganesha Festival time. Will be passing this section in an hour from now towards EC.
Already the Madiwala market road is in tatters. Coupled with dust and vendors blocking the road, it will be hell driving on this stretch for the next 2 days.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 09:53   #9562
BHPian

Quote:
I don't drive to that part of town. But KR Puram market is no less a menace. Took me one hour today morning to cover a 1 KM stretch.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 09:58   #9563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Already the Madiwala market road is in tatters. Coupled with dust and vendors blocking the road, it will be hell driving on this stretch for the next 2 days.
Avoid Madiwala market today and tomorrow like it is the plague. I normally drive through this stretch, but bypassed it despite having to drive an extra 2km.

Advice:
If approaching from St. Johns side and wanting to go on to Hosur road beyond Silk Board, get into Koramangala near Forum/Raheja Arcade (6th Block) and keep going through Koramangala until Jakkasandra, and then hit the ORR at HSR signal.
If approaching Silk Board on Hosur road and wanting to go past St Johns, then the stretch of Hosur road where all the private buses pick up passengers will be a bottleneck today from 7pm onwards till well past midnight. Avoid.
If approaching Jakkasandra on Sarjapur Road, hang a right before Krupanidhi College into Koramangala to avoid Madiwala market.

Last edited by KiloAlpha : 21st October 2015 at 10:00. Reason: clarity
KiloAlpha is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:00   #9564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My daily route and I wish I could avoid that ☺.
Was checking Google maps a while before and it seemed OK but I am sure one can expect huge pile up in hours to come.
Old 21st October 2015, 10:25   #9565
Distinguished - BHPian

TRAFFIC JAM GOES FROM BAD TO WORSE AT MANYATA TECH PARK

No personal experience but sounds terrible: http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49472869.cms

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st October 2015 at 10:26. Reason: URL
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:28   #9566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
No personal experience but sounds terrible: http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49472869.cms
It was terrible, last monday (12th) when I had been there to pick up my wife. Earlier, we would take the west gate (dasarahalli side) but now that being closed, there is no other option.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 10:55   #9567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
TRAFFIC JAM GOES FROM BAD TO WORSE AT MANYATA TECH PARK

Its absolutely horrible. My better half is now taking more time to commute 9 kms than my 34 kms from EC.

Yesterday I sent here a map link to follow and approach Jakkur from the back gate and then reach Kodigehalli Jn via Airport road and that was much faster.

Tech Parks, flyovers opposite to tech parks to ease traffic woes, Really?? I don't see a single example all over ORR where this(Flyovers or the design of it) has helped address traffic woes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
It was terrible, last monday (12th) when I had been there to pick up my wife. Earlier, we would take the west gate (dasarahalli side) but now that being closed, there is no other option.
Biggest of Jams in Bangalore are on flyovers. Hebbal, Nagavara, KR Puram, Bellandur, BETL. Being stuck on top is like the best feeling !!

Last edited by paragsachania : 21st October 2015 at 11:00.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 11:33   #9568
BHPian

I visited Bangalore city two weeks ago. First time being there. It was a Sunday. I noticed a couple of aspects.

1. The roads are quite narrow.
2. People seem to drive in lanes vs. NCR driving.
3. Most cars did not have scratches on the back. Here all cars are scratched.
4. The airport is really really far from Bannerghatta Road.
5. The flyovers are again narrow, and easily get choked. Really quick.
Old 21st October 2015, 11:40   #9569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asingh1977 View Post
I visited Bangalore city two weeks ago. First time being there. It was a Sunday. I noticed a couple of aspects.

1. The roads are quite narrow.
2. People seem to drive in lanes vs. NCR driving.
3. Most cars did not have scratches on the back. Here all cars are scratched.
4. The airport is really really far from Bannerghatta Road.
5. The flyovers are again narrow, and easily get choked. Really quick.
As regards point no.2, there is no concept of lane driving in Bangalore. BTW how do you compare the traffic scenario in Bangalore as against the same in NCR based on your 2 week stay in this city??
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 11:56   #9570
BHPian

Quote:
As regards point no.2, there is no concept of lane driving in Bangalore. BTW how do you compare the traffic scenario in Bangalore as against the same in NCR based on your 2 week stay in this city??
Sorry, if I did not put it clearly. I was only there for a day, 2 weeks ago. I guess that is not enough to get a proper sense. I still chimed in.

I found the traffic scenario better in Bangalore, because even with narrow roads it is a less of a mess. Here in the NCR most road widths are 3x or 4x vehicles per side of the median, and still we mess it up and have traffic snarls. Where as Bangalore has 2x vehicles width per side, though still seemed better off. No scratches on cars, is a clear indicator of this. People drive more carefully, and the "touch factor" is less, as compared to NCR. All cars are scratched here. Relative to Bangalore. Also I did not see any wrong side driving in Bangalore. Again, my perspective is grossly limited due to a short stint in Bangalore city. Bangalore has road shortage. Loved the weather, though. Fabulous.

Last edited by asingh1977 : 21st October 2015 at 11:57.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed