Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2015, 11:15   #9946
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Has anybody been through the signal below the hebbal flyover coming from Manyata tech park side recently?
The road is utterly demolished!!!
It takes about 20 mins to half an hour minimum to cross the signal compared to 5 mins last week and the only reason for this is pathetic condition of the road since the rains started.

@People going to airport from ring road and turning right below the hebbal flyover (lumbini gardens junction), add half an hour or more to your time or else you might risk missing your flight!
Aniket6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 11:31   #9947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
What should be done to such morons?
you made my day. Probability of them using any other means of transport for that ladder, is very less, even if someone talks to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Once I was caught up in a major traffic jam in US. I was surprised to see the sudden change in the behaviour of the drivers who were so disciplined till then. Suddenly they started doing all sorts of things like cutting lanes, honking and shouting. Not much different from what you see on Bangalore roads.
Am actually surprised as there would be cops in those stretched usually. Which city in the US was this?
Old 18th November 2015, 11:33   #9948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
As you must know, most of the jams occuring on this road are due to oncoming traffic getting in each others' way, driving on the wrong side.
And this bus was positioned on the wrong side of the road.
Not only bus, the cars in front of you are also culprit then. This stretch of service road more often than not is jammed completely. So, am not very surprised at this scene today
Old 18th November 2015, 11:43   #9949
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
@People going to airport from ring road and turning right below the hebbal flyover (lumbini gardens junction), add half an hour or more to your time or else you might risk missing your flight!
You are better off, taking the flyover into town, make a U under the next flyover and double back
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 11:51   #9950
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
You are better off, taking the flyover into town, make a U under the next flyover and double back
I've once taken 75 minutes to cross the flyover from Mehkri Circle side towards Esteem Mall. Ever since, I have completely avoided that as an option while going to airport. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
They've even asked land owners to participate as "developers" for the peripheral ring road given that it is so difficult to acquire land in these areas.
This Peripheral Ring Road as of now seems to me is being touted as the panacea to solve all of (East) Bangalore's traffic problems. Will it have that sort of impact? How much did NICE Ring Road alleviate traffic troubles in West Bangalore? My thinking is that the Rs. 4/km toll in itself is sufficient to keep large sections of traffic away from it.
binand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 11:55   #9951
BHPian

Quote:
True, but the traffic going below the flyover is so high during peak hours (sometimes not even peak hours such as 10PM yesterday night when it did not even rain) that it spills over and blocks even the rightmost lane leading to the entry of flyover. I travel by this route everyday and its been a harrowing experience.
Old 18th November 2015, 11:57   #9952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuelInjector View Post
you made my day. Probability of them using any other means of transport for that ladder, is very less, even if someone talks to them.

Am actually surprised as there would be cops in those stretched usually. Which city in the US was this?
This was in Austin. I must admit the honking was mainly reactionary to people cutting the lanes.
I am in no way advocating breaking of traffic rules. But this is bound to happen if you block free flow of traffic by blocking medians for more than 2 Km, by allowing 6 lane traffic to merge in to two and lastly dug up well laid roads and leave craters as deep as 1ft.
The major reason for the grid lock in Whitefield for last 2-3 days is the potholed section near the AAI office. This section is the bottleneck which is forcing traffic backed up as far as big bazaar signal. Due to this and long U turns the traffic is getting literally gridlocked in the entire EPIP area.
It is high time the IT companies in the area show some spine and urgency in tackling the matter. If Kalyani tech park can open up their campus for traffic, lot of people can bypass the graphite junction altogether.
Old 18th November 2015, 12:02   #9953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
This Peripheral Ring Road as of now seems to me is being touted as the panacea to solve all of (East) Bangalore's traffic problems. Will it have that sort of impact? How much did NICE Ring Road alleviate traffic troubles in West Bangalore? My thinking is that the Rs. 4/km toll in itself is sufficient to keep large sections of traffic away from it.
The PRR is another scam in the pretext of improving traffic conditions. They will just build more office spaces and draw in more companies to clog it up too. The govt should focus on developing the condition of current roads and improving the roads parallel to the existing backbone. The whole of the working population cant depend upon one ring road or two. We need better roads running parallel to the main roads so that it can soak up more traffic.

In the same lines, the ORR was just meant to give people an opportunity to travel from one end of the city to another avoiding the CBD. But wait, they built the biggest office spaces here and formed another CBD here. The same trend will follow for the PRR. Build a huge road, clog it up and forget the surrounding roads.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 13:23   #9954
BHPian

Quote:
This option is not efficient either. The dual lane flyover from the airport to the city at Hebbal is always clogged. This will not work.

Under the flyover towards the airport is a better option in spite of the damaged road.
Old 18th November 2015, 14:02   #9955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
This option is not efficient either. The dual lane flyover from the airport to the city at Hebbal is always clogged. This will not work.

Under the flyover towards the airport is a better option in spite of the damaged road.
I also have the misfortune of taking this stretch daily.It is a prime contender for the Rainforest Challenge.
Only advice for Airport folks is to stick to the right part of the right lane. Slowly but surely, you will be able to make it!

The other option is to go on the flyover, take the service lane just after Baptist Hospital and take the U - Turn in the tiny Magic Box to go up Hebbal Flyover and the airport.

raghu
Old 18th November 2015, 14:42   #9956
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
In the same lines, the ORR was just meant to give people an opportunity to travel from one end of the city to another avoiding the CBD. But wait, they built the biggest office spaces here and formed another CBD here. The same trend will follow for the PRR. Build a huge road, clog it up and forget the surrounding roads.
Even IRR, I guess had such noble intentions. I remember the days when IRR was kind of "avoided" at odd times, due to muggings etc. But from what I have seen so far, Government of Karnataka is unable to differentiate between development schemes (which helps the population at large) vis-a-vis helping the local business tycoons, politicians exclusively. As soon as PRR plans are drawn up, land would be bought by these groups and sooner or later 10-15 "Eco spaces" would come up there as well.
Old 18th November 2015, 14:57   #9957
BHPian

Another day, same story, today traffic was right from BEML layout brookefield till marathalli bridge on old air port road, I took the Munekkalol - SGR dental college road to bypass the choke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniket6 View Post
Has anybody been through the signal below the hebbal flyover coming from Manyata tech park side recently?
The road is utterly demolished!!!
It takes about 20 mins to half an hour minimum to cross the signal compared to 5 mins last week and the only reason for this is pathetic condition of the road since the rains started.

I went to airport yesterday, rightly said the road from Manyata tech park till Hebbal signal was realy bad, Major jam was caused by vehicles playing zig-zag between main road and service road, Is this a place to play? Why are there so many exits to service road, One bus was doing the same, imagine it takes 2 lanes just to enter the service road and within few 50 odd meters it came back again on the main road blocking 2 lanes again, it did this zig-zag 3 - 4 times and following the bus were multiple cabbies and bikes. ufff.. And all this drama was happening at around 10 PM.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2015 at 22:00. Reason: Posts merged.
Old 18th November 2015, 16:29   #9958
Senior - BHPian

Noticed that they are working on the Madiwala market road finally? They had blocked off one of the lanes today afternoon - hopefully the do a good job. Tired of the bone-jarring ride on that road.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2015, 17:24   #9959
Distinguished - BHPian

Work going on in front of zuri. Expect traffic holdup there.

The RUB in front of OMR big bazar is shut due to a truck breakdown. Keep to left and use the under bridge to the left of the road. This is for people coming towards ulsoor from KR Puram
Old 18th November 2015, 17:49   #9960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Noticed that they are working on the Madiwala market road finally? They had blocked off one of the lanes today afternoon - hopefully the do a good job. Tired of the bone-jarring ride on that road.
Sorry to burst your bubble
They have blocked off the right lane (which is adjacent to the market) because of some pipe laying work. No sign of any road repairs.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks