Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2015, 14:42   #10036

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Daily commute to work has become outrageously impossible. Last 2 weeks have been totally nightmarish. I travel from Nagarbhavi to Whitefield daily. Morning it has been taking easily 2.5hrs and evenings 3.25hrs to 3.5hrs.
Road from ITPL to KR Puram is mostly broken or patchy at best. And again, at Hebbal, Railway Crossing after BEL Circle, Gorguntepalya, the list doesn't seem to end at all and how can I forget to mention that useless flyover at Nagawara.
To top it, Prestige Shantiniketan! Volvo buses taking U-Turns, vehicles entering/exiting Shantiniketan taking turns, total chaos.
All in all, totally in shambles

God Save us
vivekn83 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2015, 14:55   #10037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
As per today's paper, bbmp has already spent 600 + cr on fixing the roads in the last few months. Not sure which currency they were talking about, couldn't be inr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Could be Syrian currency as it has nosedived by 1/6th of its earlier currency value.
BBMP runs on Zimbabwean currency:
Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-800pxzimbabwe_hyperinflation_2008_notes.jpg
arunphilip is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 08:47   #10038
BHPian

The right turn at KR Puram market to Devasandra main road has been blocked off. It was a breeze driving through KR Puram market. Strangely, even tin factory was relatively free today morning. Took just 25 minutes to drive from Medahalli to Bagmane Tech Park.

I had suggested this change to Bangalore Traffic Police a while ago. I like to believe that BTP took my suggestion seriously and implemented it
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 08:56   #10039
Senior - BHPian

Folks
Yesterday I had to leave home early. So took the Volvo Bus at ITPL by 12 45 PM. Reached HSR layout stop by 2 PM.
Traffic bottlenecks at Kundalahalli signal, Marathahalli bridge. Horrible roads to add to the agony.
Not for a moment I could sleep in the bus. My condition was similar to that of Thanjavur Doll (One that shakes the head due to spring action). The bus driver showed scant regard for the so called road conditions and kept zipping away to glory.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 10:02   #10040
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Bright, sunny day after almost 2+ weeks;But Rain or shine, Bangalore has traffic jams
Almost a repeat of Monday morning's experience with the commute to work this morning taking 90 minutes from Indiranagar to ITPL.
It was slow moving all the way from Whitefield Honda till Big Bazaar junction, used only 1st & 2nd Gears
Is it the Garudacharapalya road work that is causing this slowness ? Earlier, the slow moving traffic would typically start from Phoenix market city but now it begins almost near the ORR junction of ITPL road, almost as soon as one crosses the KR Puram Railway station.
Old 25th November 2015, 10:37   #10041
Senior - BHPian

Sun is out alright, which is good.

2-3 weeks of rain has left the road is such a state that riding a motorcycle on any road is equivalent to riding on a dirt road.

A car doing just around 30kmph is kicking up dust from the road, forget heavy vehicles.
Old 25th November 2015, 10:45   #10042
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
2-3 weeks of rain has left the road is such a state that riding a motorcycle on any road is equivalent to riding on a dirt road.
"Whitefield", really ? And the real estate market refers to it as the IT, residential and industrial hub and what not

There is no "white" nor "fields", the black roads are just holes now, why not rename it as "Blackhole" instead ?
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 11:08   #10043
BHPian

At hoodi circle or junction, a Xylo was hit by a baleno. Xylo "seems" to be standing in the correct direction, i.e. from Devasandra towards Graphite India road but the baleno was cross. They both did not want to move from that location, although, the signals kept changing from green to red and later green.

Why cant they move straight and if they find a vehicle crossing wrongly, just allow him / her to pass and go a few seconds later? All this mess would be easily avoided.

Myself coming from KR Puram moving towards ITPL could somehow move towards extreme right of the junction and struggled to cross the junction. With some samaritans' help the junction was eased. As I moved ahead I could see that a traffic policeman got a phone call asking him to come forward and sort out the jam.
Old 25th November 2015, 11:46   #10044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
"Whitefield", really ? And the real estate market refers to it as the IT, residential and industrial hub and what not

There is no "white" nor "fields", the black roads are just holes now, why not rename it as "Blackhole" instead ?
Not just Whitefield.

In general, most of the roads are dusty .
Thankfully, my workplace moved from Whitefield more than a year ago, or else I would have ended up looking like a rider in the Paris-Dakar rally, entering office.
Old 25th November 2015, 13:21   #10045
Senior - BHPian

Folks

My friend reported that a BMTC bus opposite ITPL caught fire. There were about 4-5 police jeeps. As a result massive traffic jam.
Old 25th November 2015, 13:24   #10046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

My friend reported that a BMTC bus opposite ITPL caught fire. There were about 4-5 police jeeps. As a result massive traffic jam.
Photo & video, courtesy FB.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-12301593_10153342126747903_8759237133738245088_n.jpg

Old 25th November 2015, 14:25   #10047
Senior - BHPian

Really saddens me to read these articles from DH. All traffic rants aside, the BBMP is maiming people, killing people and destroying families.

Their inefficiency and complete lack of work ethic translates to the common man suffer debilitating injuries that leave him bed ridden for the rest of his life or to the common man killing a relative for no fault of his own.

Quote:
Rohith had failed to notice a road hump in the heavy rain. There was no signboard when he approached the Kengeri bus stop. As he rode over the hump, Manjula was thrown off. She died of head injuries later, and Rohith was arrested and imprisoned.
Quote:
S Jayaprakash, a private firm employee in Whitefield, was the sole bread winner of his family. Two months ago, while riding home, he failed to negotiate an unscientific road hump near Malleswaram. He was thrown up in the air, fell down and suffered severe injuries. Says Jayaprakash: “I have been bed-ridden now. Doctors have told me that I am suffering from quadriplegia ( complete paralysis of the body from the neck down).”
Quote:
R Madusudhan, a sales executive from Yeshvanthpura, has been strictly instructed by the doctors not to ride two-wheelers. Reason: The 25-year-old Madusudhan could not bear the pain on his lower back. It was a case of spinal disc herniation ( slipped disc).
The sole cause for each of these problems is the heartless BBMP.

Hope something drastic happens soon that reduces the number of such accidents and also hope that the innocent are spared and the injured recover.

Source: http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...ad-layout.html
ashwin.terminat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 15:10   #10048
BHPian

Amazingly its the Bangalore-road thread that seems most active. Similar threads of other cities are very muted in comparison.

Reason for all the ranting and venting here in this thread seems to be the sheer lack of imagination and proper urban planning by Govt of Karnataka.
Bangalore was a small city, clearly not capable of absorbing the millions of migrants who have come here now for IT/related jobs.
Govt should work at decongesting the whole city itself, not just a few localities. Spread out IT to other towns and encourage development there and population migration will naturally follow.

IT in the whole of Karnataka State shouldn't start and end in the Whitelfield,Marathahalli and ECity stretch.

No point ranting about traffic cops, corporation workers digging up roads, etc. The 'brain' itself is dead, how can you make the finger move?
WindRide is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 15:19   #10049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
The 'brain' itself is dead, how can you make the finger move?
I think the brain is not dead , it chooses not to awaken. Its always easy to wake up a sleeping person , never easy to awaken one that pretends.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2015, 15:20   #10050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Reason for all the ranting and venting here in this thread seems to be the sheer lack of imagination and proper urban planning by Govt of Karnataka.
Bangalore was a small city, clearly not capable of absorbing the millions of migrants who have come here now for IT/related jobs.
Govt should work at decongesting the whole city itself, not just a few localities. Spread out IT to other towns and encourage development there and population migration will naturally follow.

IT in the whole of Karnataka State shouldn't start and end in the Whitelfield,Marathahalli and ECity stretch.
+100000 to this. Completely, completely agree.

I have constantly wondered what sense is there in limiting all IT Parks, all companies, all sort of job opportunities to two or three areas in Bangalore. It just doesn't make sense at any level.

Common sense will tell you that people will flood to these areas and congestion is inevitable. Oh, wait, common sense, BBMP and GoK has none.

The insane pressure on the limited infrastructure by the burgeoning population coupled with the completely lackluster BBMP has left us in the mess we find ourselves today.

They really should have spread out these offices in all areas. It would have drastically reduced the pressure on a few areas and would make traffic management easier and would've also given better chances for Bangalore to retain its charm.

Is it too late, though? I really feel so. :(

Most Viewed