Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2015, 12:40   #10096
Team-BHP Support

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
2 stories on the toll bangalore (specifically whitefield) traffic is taking in people

- One person I know quit his job in a company located in whitefield because he could not handle the traffic and the daily 4 hour commutes
- Another person vacated his own house in whitefield because he could not commute to his office outside whitefield and took up a house on rent closer to his office.

I personally have passed up a couple of internal job opportunities since they were located in ITPL
Old 29th November 2015, 12:53   #10097
Senior - BHPian

There is a huge protest organized by the people who live and work in Whitefield for tomorrow, the 30th of November,

From what looks to be a way for the government to cover up their inadequacies, many roads in the area have been relaid over the weekend. Although, witnesses claim the layer of asphalt to be very, very thin and serves as nothing but an eyewash in view of the protest.

The people are still going to continue with their protest with some basic demands for improving Whitefield infrastructure.
Old 29th November 2015, 13:13   #10098
BHPian

My wife who works near vydehi and stays in kundanahalli, walks till cosmos mall and then catches a bus,saves her between 30 mins to one hour.
Old 29th November 2015, 23:42   #10099
Distinguished - BHPian

Rains alert : We're in for 3-4 days of rainfall the likes of what was going on 3-4 days back if AccuWeather is anything to go by. Brace up when in traffic, avoid traffic entirely when possible and please no high-beam at night unless very necessary.

Since traffic is bad in wet conditions almost all hours of the day, my only strategy is to take a deep breath & hope other drivers show mercy. Roads are going to be much, much worse tomorrow.
Old 30th November 2015, 07:15   #10100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Rains alert : We're in for 3-4 days of rainfall the likes of what was going on 3-4 days back if AccuWeather is anything to go by. Brace up when in traffic, avoid traffic entirely when possible and please no high-beam at night unless very necessary.

Since traffic is bad in wet conditions almost all hours of the day, my only strategy is to take a deep breath & hope other drivers show mercy. Roads are going to be much, much worse tomorrow.
Looks like nature is exposing the real condition of Bangalore roads. Every time the roads are patched up, it rains , the potholes open up. Mind you it is not heavy rain like what we say in TN recently. If for this drizzle the potholes open up, then there is something wrong with the way the roads are being patched up.
Old 30th November 2015, 08:26   #10101
Senior - BHPian

Last time when I said here the cops are inefficient, someone argued saying they're efficient, only junctions are getting crowded blah blah!!

This one proves it all - http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49953615.cms

Seriously, its no longer public that are causing the issue, BLR seriously need some efficient & effective traffic police, who can bring things under control
Old 30th November 2015, 08:36   #10102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Seriously, its no longer public that are causing the issue, BLR seriously need some efficient & effective traffic police, who can bring things under control
Long time @aargee!

To answer to your point, if average speed comes down for the same traffic density over years, I totally agree to what the article says. But we also need to realise that over the years, traffic density has increased many folds with infrastructure remaining same (if not getting worse). We see more vehicles on the same set of roads (which the authorities are not even able to maintain, forget improving).

The bigger issue at hand is development of office spaces, without looking into account their impact on surrounding infrastructure. That I think is the single biggest reason and root cause of the problem. In 2005 one was afraid to travel along the ORR corridor for the fear of getting robbed. Today that fear still exists, but it is manifested as traffic!

Last edited by ampere : 30th November 2015 at 09:07.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 08:37   #10103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Last time when I said here the cops are inefficient, someone argued saying they're efficient, only junctions are getting crowded blah blah!!

This one proves it all - http://www.bangaloremirror.com/banga...w/49953615.cms

Unless and until the roads are widened, public has to face the music of crawling traffic day in and day out. To reduce this to some extent, BBMP should improve the roads.
Due to potholes, the traffic movement is thrown out of gear creating a traffic gridlock along with accidents. If the roads were to be good, there will be continuous vehicle movement. But the location of bus stops and the manner in which buses stop at bus stops will ensure that Bangalore can never dream of smooth ride/drive.
Old 30th November 2015, 09:19   #10104
Distinguished - BHPian

Article from Hindu on the ORR mess:

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/...753.ece?w=city

Quote:

Outer Ring Road was built to ease traffic movement in the city but ironically sees some of the biggest jams.

A recent study put the number of vehicles on ORR on any particular day at 4.5 lakh, the highest for any stretch of road in the city.

The average speed on ORR was reported to be as low as 5 kmph last year, following which the traffic cops banned trucks to improve vehicle speeds. However, bad road stretches, potholes and increase in vehicular traffic has caused speed to fall further. Mr. Saleem said that the situation in other parts of the city is manageable.

The number of vehicles has shot up by 3.5 lakh during the last one year, sources said.

“Most of these new vehicles are adding to the stress on the already stressed IT corridor and ORR. The PCU on these corridors has shot up by at least 25 per cent in recent times,” Mr. Saleem said.

A road that was designed for 5,400 PCU per hour today chokes at 4,000 PCUs bringing out the lacunae in its design.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2015, 10:28   #10105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat
From what looks to be a way for the government to cover up their inadequacies, many roads in the area have been relaid over the weekend.
There was a rumour that the "Minister for Bangalore City" Mr. George, would be going for a late night round across various parts of the city over the week end. The sudden cover up may be to make his trip a bit easier. But I don't think there is any holistic plan to kill the menace for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs
Looks like nature is exposing the real condition of Bangalore roads. Every time the roads are patched up, it rains , the potholes open up. Mind you it is not heavy rain like what we say in TN recently.
People @ Bangalore were also smart enough to figure out that NICE road does not have these pot holes how ever heavy the rains are. Which speaks about the quality of construction of that road. Fine, we do pay a neat sum as tolls, but the road is well maintained. Where as city roads are just a way to get "repeat business" for the contractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
There is a limit to which a Traffic Police unit can control things. Bangalore has too many vehicles and too narrow roads. And for both these problems, Traffic Police are not any way responsible. It would be great if you can jot down a few points stating how Traffic Police can improve things out here. Read the article you posted, it clearly says that Traffic Police is even forced to do many road building activities; some thing which no police force any where in the world does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere
The bigger issue at hand is development of office spaces, without looking into account their impact on surrounding infrastructure. That I think is the single biggest reason and root cause of the problem. In 2005 one was afraid to travel along the ORR corridor for the fear of getting robbed. Today that fear still exists, but it is manifested as traffic!
+1. Today's Hindu has given a map of Jaya Nagar and Whitefield. Where as Jaya Nagar is much more planned and have a grid of wider and narrow roads, Whitefield seems to be totally haphazard. For the traffic problem, the only solution is to reduce the number of vehicle. Now how much of that reduction can be done using democratic ways is another question:-
1. Jack up road taxes or put a limit of new registrations (undemocratic)
2. Penalise single occupancy vehicles (undemocratic)
3. Put some kind of restriction (even number, odd number number plates) on what vehicles should hit the roads and when (may be okay, as such things exist in few cities)
4. Bring in more efficient public transport system (including buses, metro and suburban trains) - (democratic but time consuming)

But from what I see around, the civic agencies and politicians in Bangalore and Karnataka are least bit bothered. They are okay to see the city die, provided they become even bigger billionaires. Most of these folks may have good property out side the city limits, where they can relax.

In the mean while another report which speaks about Bangalore and the life out here..
Five research charts show how Bengaluru is gradually becoming an unliveable city
Old 30th November 2015, 11:01   #10106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
People @ Bangalore were also smart enough to figure out that NICE road does not have these pot holes how ever heavy the rains are. Which speaks about the quality of construction of that road. Fine, we do pay a neat sum as tolls, but the road is well maintained. Where as city roads are just a way to get "repeat business" for the contractors.

Mate, Bangalore has not received rains similar to what Chennai has received. Yes, there have been occasions during last month and this month, where it has rained heavily. But this has been limited to max an hour.
With these rains, Nice road is still holding good but the top layer has eroded at few places. Nothing alarming though.
As regards toll, not all of the amount is used for road maintenance. The best example would be the stretch from Chennasamudram toll towards Sriperumbudur on NH4. This stretch should compete with Bangalore city roads as to which is better.
Old 30th November 2015, 11:47   #10107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
From what looks to be a way for the government to cover up their inadequacies, many roads in the area have been relaid over the weekend. Although, witnesses claim the layer of asphalt to be very, very thin and serves as nothing but an eyewash in view of the protest.

The people are still going to continue with their protest with some basic demands for improving Whitefield infrastructure.
Saw some repair work happening in Whitefield area during the weekend.

Around 700 metre stretch from Tyre Empire Whitefield towards Shell Petrol pump and work was going on the next stretch at snail's pace. Needless to say that the quality of work is bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Looks like nature is exposing the real condition of Bangalore roads. Every time the roads are patched up, it rains , the potholes open up. Mind you it is not heavy rain like what we say in TN recently. If for this drizzle the potholes open up, then there is something wrong with the way the roads are being patched up.
I lost count of the number of times the Hopefarm to ITPL stretch was patched up in the past couple of months and the contractors are lucky that it rains immediately after the patch work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

The bigger issue at hand is development of office spaces, without looking into account their impact on surrounding infrastructure. That I think is the single biggest reason and root cause of the problem.
Not only office places, big residential complexes also play a major part. Unfortunately nothing seems to be done to check this. Lot of residential and commercial spaces are still coming up in the already congested roads of Whitefield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post

There is a limit to which a Traffic Police unit can control things. Bangalore has too many vehicles and too narrow roads.
But traffic police can do their bit properly. They turn a blind eye to traffic violations of BMTC, private buses, cabs, autos etc but penalize private cars and bikes. I have seen traffic police waiting to catch 2 wheelers without bothering to ease traffic jams nearby.
Old 30th November 2015, 11:59   #10108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Long time @aargee!
long time sir

Quote:
traffic density has increased many folds with infrastructure remaining same...
Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Unless and until the roads are widened, public has to face the music of crawling traffic day in and day out
Please wait sirs...I'll prove myself with a video; ORR is super wide, ideally a 8 lane road, yet starting from Mahadevpura to Marathahalli to Silkboard junction there's a super duper traffic jam. Its all due to the traffic police simply stands at a corner & watching things & the volunteers try to streamline the traffic & most of the times they're helpless when one impatience jumps & the mob follows.
Old 30th November 2015, 12:01   #10109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
But traffic police can do their bit properly. They turn a blind eye to traffic violations of BMTC, private buses, cabs, autos etc but penalize private cars and bikes. I have seen traffic police waiting to catch 2 wheelers without bothering to ease traffic jams nearby.
From what I know, the Traffic Police only starts the "detection and charging of MV Petty cases", after the peak hour traffic is over. And they also have certain plans set for the day (one day it could be detecting more parking violations, the next day it could be against foot path riding and on Friday & Saturday evenings it is invariably against drunken driving). And from what I have observed. BTP has reached such a level, that for them the definition of a major road block is totally different from what a driver feels .

But if you ask me, Bangalore Traffic problems have reached such a level that a traffic police unit (who can only enforce existing laws, and also considering various other societal conditions in India - eg: corruption) cannot be the only agency who can be tasked to improve the traffic conditions out here. They can be still tagged as the "favourite whipping boys", because police is generally mistrusted in India, and other agencies like BBMP can all hide behind their offices.
Old 30th November 2015, 12:11   #10110
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I have suggestion. Need your feedback as to if this idea will work. While travelling from Bommanahalli towards HSR, one can go via Mangamanapalya road to reach HSR while the return is not possible.
To counter this, many cabs/2 wheelers and even buses come via Mangamanapalya till the NH intersection and then take a right turn so that they reach the bommanahalli junction. This can lead to major accidents.
Instead i have a suggestion. Kindly refer the enclosed image. Once the vehicle coming via Mangamanapalya reach the NH intersection, let there be a opening on the NH by means of which vehicles can go to bommanahalli junction.The signal must be provided at the location shown by S.
By this the traffic on silk board will come down and it will be easy for traffic cops posted at bommanahalli junction to regulate the vehicular flow.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-signal.png

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks