Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 07:38   #10276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Accident &Jam Alert:

Location: In front of JP Morgan,on right lane, towards Marathalli
What: Etios rear ended Innova.

Jam inside Kadubisenahalli underpass and will soon spill over to Intel and Ecospace flyover.

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-img_20151208_072409118.jpg

Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation-_20151208_073409.jpg
Soumyajit9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 07:45   #10277
BHPian

I am thinking of relocating from Delhi/NCR to Bangalore .... but looking at the number of pages of this thread, it looks like the traffic situation would be more or less similar
Old 8th December 2015, 07:57   #10278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Accident &Jam Alert:

Jam inside Kadubisenahalli underpass and will soon spill over to Intel and Ecospace flyover.
The basic problem I have observed in Bangalore is the gap maintained between vehicles. Most of the vehicles go perilously close to the other vehicle even while waiting in a signal.
Even while in motion, they tailgate you so close that it triggers fear in the mind of the person as to whether the other guy will ram his vehicle into yours.
Is this done just to bully the person ahead of you or to detest 2 wheelers from squeezing into the gap.
Old 8th December 2015, 08:40   #10279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
The basic problem I have observed in Bangalore is the gap maintained between vehicles.
In this specific case, I would say Bangalore is as good or bad as any other place in India.
Making the average driver understand the concept of safe distance which increases as the speed increases is like teaching nuclear physics to a kindergarten student.
Any space space maintained between vehicles looks like a "fill in the blanks" puzzle to most drivers which they promptly try to solve by squeezing in:banghead:
NowNew7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 08:43   #10280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
I am thinking of relocating from Delhi/NCR to Bangalore .... but looking at the number of pages of this thread, it looks like the traffic situation would be more or less similar
Ha ha, the traffic condition in GURGAON at least is very bad but metro is just a boon, it is probably connected to every corner of Delhi and some parts of ncr
Old 8th December 2015, 08:52   #10281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitheeshsreeram View Post
Ha ha, the traffic condition in GURGAON at least is very bad but metro is just a boon, it is probably connected to every corner of Delhi and some parts of ncr
Metro is just an illusion IMO. Travel to a metro station from every home is near impractical - distance and no public transport. And take an example, if you are staying in Gurgaon, and want a metro to a place in Delhi, shell out 150rs for an auto to metro station. All of this in "Normal Business Hours " ( 7AM to 7PM) - post this, you are on your own good luck.

How much traffic and travel time should I expect, if for instance I buy a flat in Marathahalli and travel to any IT Hub - Electronic City etc ? An hour maybe ?
Old 8th December 2015, 08:56   #10282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowNew7 View Post
In this specific case, I would say Bangalore is as good or bad as any other place in India.
Making the average driver understand the concept of safe distance which increases as the speed increases is like teaching nuclear physics to a kindergarten student.
Any space space maintained between vehicles looks like a "fill in the blanks" puzzle to most drivers which they promptly try to solve by squeezing in:banghead:
The crux of the problem is lack of lane discipline. If there is more than 12 inches space between the cars, a 2 wheeler or an auto will squeeze in and will be shortly followed by a car or a tempo traveler. If one slows down to accommodate these lane swingers, the cars behind will start honking their annoyance.

The concept of driving in India is that the driver is only responsible for what is in the front of his bonnet and the other driver is responsible for avoiding collision from the side or rear. This culture makes butting in between a lane acceptable and this in turn forces other drivers to drive inches away from the car ahead.

The only solution is to educate drivers to maintain lanes which in turn will actually result in traffic flowing smoothly. Better said than done ....
adnaps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 09:02   #10283
BHPian

Quote:
Metro is just an illusion IMO. Travel to a metro station from every home is near impractical - distance and no public transport. And take an example, if you are staying in Gurgaon, and want a metro to a place in Delhi, shell out 150rs for an auto to metro station. All of this in "Normal Business Hours " ( 7AM to 7PM) - post this, you are on your own good luck.

How much traffic and travel time should I expect, if for instance I buy a flat in Marathahalli and travel to any IT Hub - Electronic City etc ? An hour maybe ?
If your office in Marathahalli or Whitefield, then yes 1 hour. If electronic city, you will be very far from Marathahalli especially during peak hours.
sairamboko is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 09:22   #10284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks Suresh!! I am new to Bangalore and learning this. As said by you, I shouldn't give room to my emotions. Already my BP has shot up. Need to keep it in check.
Since you are new to Bangalore , here are a few tips. Of course there will be other members who will help you out. But this comes out of my experience
1) Cabbies and Tempo Travellers are always in a hurry. There is absolutely no point in showing emotions and getting in a road rage incident. Face it...its like wrestling a pig in the mud and the pig enjoys it but you get dirty.
2) Two wheelers are a menace and will try to overtake you from left and right (if you are driving a 4 wheeler.) Make sure that your car is not injured by these guys who will just go even in the face of oncoming traffic playing a game of dare with a truck , bus or anything wil wheels coming in the opposite direction.
3) Auto-rickshaws are a menace too and will try to behave like two wheelers especially on a single road.
4) If you have a car / two wheeler registered outside the state and don't want to get in the dragnet of cops , do not stare the cop in the eyes. Try as much as possible to blend in the crowd. If a cop is staring at your car don't stare back , move on looking everywhere else except him. As ridiculous as this may sound it works. If you want directions ask some passerby but not a cop. He might just as well see your non Republic of Karnataka plates and catch you.
5) You will encounter plenty of traffic jams. Trust that the traffic will move. Keep your cool. Have some food to munch , some music of choice at hand. It sounds ridiculous but you will get the hang of it. Learn to relax , catch up with friends on phone while stuck in a jam.

Last edited by ambivalent_98 : 8th December 2015 at 09:24.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 09:30   #10285
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Another good commute this morning - 35 minutes from Indiranagar to near ITPL. on the Tin Factory-KR Puram Railway Station-ITPL main road.

I don't know if vehicles are lesser this week as people are beginning to go on vacations ? Or has the Garudacharapalya road been repaired ?

Whatever it is, morning commute this week has been better, lets see how it pans out during the rest of the week.

*Top layer of road surface has been scraped (roughened) at many places on Hoodi-Big Bazaar section, looks like it will be patched up soon.

Last edited by NPV : 8th December 2015 at 09:33.
Old 8th December 2015, 09:34   #10286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Accident &Jam Alert:

Impacted vehicles moved to the side. So traffic flowing as usual. This was at 8.40 am.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 09:44   #10287
BHPian

Looks like woes of poor roads are not going to end. Contractors are unhappy with the pending payments of work done, some even delayed beyond two years.

Source
Old 8th December 2015, 09:46   #10288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent_98 View Post
Two wheelers are a menace and will try to overtake you from left and right (if you are driving a 4 wheeler.) Make sure that your car is not injured by these guys who will just go even in the face of oncoming traffic playing a game of dare with a truck , bus or anything wil wheels coming in the opposite direction.
What's it with majority of forumers, that you consider 2 Wheeler drivers as a menance, If they too take their single occupancy car like majority of you guys, Think about the havoc.If most of the 4 wheeler drivers here were able to drive left and right like 2 wheelers you would drive. Not getting that luxury doesn't mean you bad mouth the 2 wheelers.Bangalore has always had the highest number of 2 wheelers in the Country.People who come from elsewhere and then crib about 2 wheelers in Bangalore have no idea of this history.
Sorry for the rant, But its sick to constantly see this class racism in a forum about vehicles.
werfish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:02   #10289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by werfish View Post
What's it with majority of forumers, that you consider 2 Wheeler drivers as a menance, If they too take their single occupancy car like majority of you guys, Think about the havoc.If most of the 4 wheeler drivers here were able to drive left and right like 2 wheelers you would drive. Not getting that luxury doesn't mean you bad mouth the 2 wheelers.Bangalore has always had the highest number of 2 wheelers in the Country.People who come from elsewhere and then crib about 2 wheelers in Bangalore have no idea of this history.
Sorry for the rant, But its sick to constantly see this class racism in a forum about vehicles.
This has been discussed here multiple times . Being a regular 2-wheeler rider who tries to ride by the rules, I too agree that I find some of the posts/comments against 2-wheelers pretty insulting. Not to say that all two wheeler riders are saints. I also get upset when I see fellow riders doing funny things.

In my view, there are bad apples in every class of vehicles. two-wheelers, cabs, autos, cars, buses, lorries and what not. If fact, considering the number of rants against autos and cabs here, if there was a cab driver who drives by the rules in this forum, he would be extremely insulted

Two wheelers make up a majority of the vehicles on the road, so the percent of bad riders will also be naturally much higher. So unfortunately the generalization come naturally.

On a related not, ever since I started taking the bus to work, I have become part of the lowest class on the road-The Pedestrian. Experiened the attitude of 'I am in a fancy car/bike, move out of my way' many times already.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 8th December 2015 at 10:03.
Rajeevraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 10:05   #10290
BHPian

Quote:
Few things which are very different here in Bangalore in comparision with Delhi/NCR.
i) There is practically no tar on the roads and whatever is left will soon be dug up by BWSSB et.al. We have mud roads,no roads,whatever left of road and somewhere sometime a tar road which will soon be turned into earlier mentioned roads.As I can see you may be living somewhere in Bangalore East which is the most neglected area of Bangalore in terms of civic amenities.
ii)Get used to the speedbreakers at every nook & corner and most unscientific ones which you will never encounter inside any other proper city leave alone Delhi. We in Bangalore have the world record of speed breakers,back breakers,suspension breakers and infact the cars with good ground clearance also takes a beat sometime or the other. . We don't call it a land of speedbreakers for nothing. We have the world record of having potholes on speedbreakers. Beat that if you can.
iii) The world record for a most number of learner drivers belong to this city. And I am not talking about beginners. There is a breed of drivers in the city which are in perennial learning mode.
iv) You will not see HTV in Delhi City during day time but here you will have to jostle for space inch by inch with HTV's,water tankers, tractors. The most tractors I have ever seen in an Urban area.
iv) But only good thing about Bangalore traffic is that you are less likely to be killed in a road rage by a goon with a revolver and katta
v) Bus drivers/Auto/Cabbies and Bikers are same all across India so absolutely no differences.
vi) Normal people like us (if you can call them so) are really nice in Bangalore considering the traffic mess we are in. They are also suffering like everyone else.

Last edited by adi_gt : 8th December 2015 at 10:09.
adi_gt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks