Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2016, 08:33   #10471
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Can't Believe that mine will be the first post of 2016 on this thread

Traffic was unusually heavy today from Gottigere to Whitefield and lots of maniac on the road. I wonder if their new year resolution was to drive even crazier.

Regards

Last edited by chandrda : 4th January 2016 at 08:34. Reason: Spelling
Old 4th January 2016, 09:01   #10472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandrda View Post
Can't Believe that mine will be the first post of 2016 on this thread
Maybe people didn't want to start the new year with Rants

Quote:
Traffic was unusually heavy today from Gottigere to Whitefield and lots of maniac on the road.
The people are back!
After holidays, people would either return home on Monday morning, or people who came late in the night on Sunday would go to office in cars skipping their early-morning cabs. Things might settle down tomorrow.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 09:23   #10473
BHPian

30 mins from Agara Depo to silk board (~2kms) and still counting.
No breakdown. Just standing traffic.
Old 4th January 2016, 09:50   #10474
Senior - BHPian

Broken down BMTC on BETL towards EC on the right after the lay by. Keep to the left.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 09:52   #10475
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Took 30 minutes from Gopalan Mall on Old madras Road to KR Puram railway station
The left lanes of the Mahadevapura road (going from KR Puram railway station towards Whitefield) have been asphalted all the way up to ABB junction. From here about 200-300 m is yet to be asphalted so dust storms as usual here, then again road is new till Hoodi junction!
Took an hour to reach office but was great timing considering the first 30 odd minutes were spent just to get to KR Puram railway station!

Also, the car did unheard of speeds on the Hoodi to Big Bazaar junction stretch - 45kmph!

Last edited by NPV : 4th January 2016 at 09:53.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 11:11   #10476

Mod note: Fixing Quote, please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
As funny as it sounds, traffic from HAL to Kundalahalli was a lot more free today. There is no U-Turn allowed at the newly created break. But HAL traffic can move right into ORR at the break in the median.
I used to drive from HAL to Prestige tech park taking the right turn to Tulsi theatre road. Now that the right turn is closed, I was wondering If I could take a u-turn at Marathahalli junction and take the Tulsi theatre road!

If, as you mentioned , u-turn is prohibited at the break, I'm gonna have to drive 3-4 kms extra plus the traffic on the service road approaching the over bridge at Kadubeesanahalli!

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th January 2016 at 11:23. Reason: Fixing Quote, please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.
Old 4th January 2016, 12:21   #10477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Sally up View Post
I used to drive from HAL to Prestige tech park taking the right turn to Tulsi theatre road. Now that the right turn is closed, I was wondering If I could take a u-turn at Marathahalli junction and take the Tulsi theatre road!

If, as you mentioned , u-turn is prohibited at the break, I'm gonna have to drive 3-4 kms extra plus the traffic on the service road approaching the over bridge at Kadubeesanahalli!
Yemalur not an option for you? If it isn't, you could just take left at ORR and then make the U-turn at ISRO.

Marathahalli junction on ORR is one badly designed one, with people wanting to turn right from any direction inconvenienced big time.
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 15:27   #10478
BHPian

Seems the road was also laid further from PSN Gate 3 signal towards hoodi. There are less pot holes now. I managed to have my lunch at home from PSN to Hosakote rd and return within an hour.. Feels blessed for sure with a 2 wheeler!
Old 4th January 2016, 18:53   #10479
Distinguished - BHPian

After Delhi, Uber launches UberCommute in Bangalore. An initiative where you can sign up as a driver with your private car and pick up people headed in the same direction.

Quote:
It’s why we are excited to launch uberCOMMUTE in Bangalore today – a new carpooling product for drivers which will help tackle congestion by getting more people into fewer cars. uberCOMMUTE makes it easy for people commuting to and from work to share their journey with a fellow-commuter headed in the same direction. It’s carpooling at the tap of a button.

Here’s how it works:
  • If you drive to and from work or make trips across town – and would like to share your commute – sign up with Uber. Once we have your ID, we’ll put your application through our screening process.
  • On the days you’re driving, switch on the app anytime between 7AM and 9PM. You’ll be prompted to enter your destination and we’ll then pair you up with another rider heading the same way so you can share the journey and recoup your costs.
  • You will see the amount you get for each trip in advance so there are no surprises. It is designed to help recoup the running cost of your car
This has good potential in Bangalore especially in the E-City/Banashankari-BTM-SilkBoard-ORR-Whitefield belts with its concentration of tech parks.

Source: Uber

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 4th January 2016 at 18:58.
Old 4th January 2016, 18:58   #10480
Senior - BHPian

Shucks here I was thinking that the Madiwala Market stretch would have been completed before the New year. But no, they haven't even finished one lane!! What apathy. Considering that there is huge amount of traffic that flows on this road!
Old 4th January 2016, 18:58   #10481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
After Delhi, Uber launches UberCommute in Bangalore. An initiative where you can sign up as a driver with your private car and pick up people headed in the same direction.

This has good potential in Bangalore especially in the E-City/Banashankari-BTM-SilkBoard-ORR-Whitefield belts with its concentration of tech parks.

Source: Uber
Great initiative and the money and choice of cars would encourage (hopefully) many to use this service.

What's the legality of this service ? How's security guaranteed ? Am i allowed to take money while having a private registration ? Or is car pool exempted ?
Old 4th January 2016, 19:10   #10482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
Great initiative and the money and choice of cars would encourage (hopefully) many to use this service.

What's the legality of this service ? How's security guaranteed ? Am i allowed to take money while having a private registration ? Or is car pool exempted ?
There was some discussion in another thread on this. I would say it is not completely black and white. Basically you are not making a profit. As Uber clearly calls out

Quote:
You will see the amount you get for each trip in advance so there are no surprises. It is designed to help recoup the running cost of your car
This may result in some extra money for the driver, but probably insignificant. It is just like 3 friends/colleagues car pooling to work and sharing Fuel Costs. Here Uber plays that intermediary role to collect and disburse the money. (Yes, they do make money out of it-Thats where the greyness comes in).

On security, for the people requesting rides, it is like requesting a normal Uber with agreement to share a ride. Just like one can rate drivers on Uber and we can see a driver rating, the drivers can also rate the passengers. This rating is visible to the driver accepting the ride. In addition, I assume all the typical security measures (Ride tracking, SOS etc..) are available for both driver and passenger.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2016, 19:21   #10483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On security, for the people requesting rides, it is like requesting a normal Uber with agreement to share a ride. Just like one can rate drivers on Uber and we can see a driver rating, the drivers can also rate the passengers. This rating is visible to the driver accepting the ride. In addition, I assume all the typical security measures (Ride tracking, SOS etc..) are available for both driver and passenger.
If you accept even one paisa for that and are shown to have the uber rideshare option enabled, just pray that your insurance doesn't find out when you have an accident, and just pray that none of the ride sharers are injured in that accident.

A yellow board taxi has some very complex and expensive insurance to cover the vehicle, owner, driver and pax.

Your normal car insurance, zero depreciation and bought from the dealer, or an el cheapo online policy regardless, has a very clear exclusion clause - if you operate your vehicle for hire, you will not be able to claim insurance.
Old 4th January 2016, 19:27   #10484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
My guess, new year celebration already started at Phoenix mall.
Not just Phoenix mall, there is one right next to it that has now opened. I wonder who was the smart babu who approved that plan to have two BIG malls next to each other
Old 4th January 2016, 22:40   #10485
BHPian

Quote:
Good idea, until I came across the following detail:

"Uber’s product safety features will be on before, during and after the ride–such as the ability to see your driver’s details in advance, GPS tracking, share my journey and the HELP button in case of an emergency."

So the rider would have the details of the driver, though the driver will be ignorant of that of the rider(s). Either mask the details for both or be transparent both ways. Also in this case, security is equally a big question mark for the driver/ owner as well. In case of an accident the driver would be at the mercy of Uber to identify his passengers? not a situation to be in..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks