Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2016, 18:38   #10516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
P.S. There's a thread (by SS-Traveller,I believe) that has some great tips on adjusting mirrors to minimize/eliminate blind spots. I corrected my own preferred mirror setting after reading that thread.
True - a very useful thread. Here is the link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...t-mirrors.html
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 18:56   #10517
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Whitefield update:After last week's asphalting work on ITPL road in the KR Puram-Whitefield direction, this evening, work was in progress in the other direction between Prestige Shanthinikethan gate 1 (apartments) to Vaswani/Zuri stretch. Hope this is completed soon.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 19:28   #10518
BHPian

I just saw this posted by BTP on their facebook page:
Quote:
Traffic signal light will be installed at Marathalli bridge to streamline the flow of traffic. Tulsi opening will be closed.
Dr. M A Saleem, IPS
Additional Commissioner of Police - Traffic, Bengaluru City.
It has been a complete mess after they opened up the medians on the marathalli bridge a couple of weeks ago.
It is still not clear on what directions the traffic would be allowed to turn.
Hope this would help though the traffic police will still have a tough time controlling the idiots who would try to sneak into the wrong direction when the signal is at red to avoid going further ahead and taking a u-turn!
Old 6th January 2016, 19:36   #10519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Here is the video of the incident I described earlier.
I pass through this stretch everyday and I dont feel that anything was seriously wrong here as long as your indicator was on and you had checked the mirror.

For others who want to prove him wrong, ideally it will be the car on the right lane that he would have been watching. Gauging the speed of the bike, it would have appeared out of nowhere. And the biker was overconfident that the lane would be left free for him to weave in and out. Relatively speaking, biker is at a severe fault here because he did what etrast75 wanted to do before etrast75. He seems to have come from the middle lane and did a double overtake of both the Jazz and etrast, and just missed crashing into the median.

Last edited by ampere : 6th January 2016 at 21:24. Reason: removed video link from quoted post
Old 6th January 2016, 19:55   #10520
BHPian

Bengalureans, next time you are stuck in a jam, do what this mumbaikar does -
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 20:03   #10521
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is how a biker had the potential to get run over by a bus:

If his bike had slid a little further, he would have been thrown under the rear tyre of the BMTC bus. Even in this case, his leg just missed the track of the rear tyre of the bus. Lucky day for him.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2016, 20:36   #10522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
Couple of days ago, I was driving in my car between agara and iblur in ORR. There was a slow moving car on the right lane and so I was forced to overtake it from the left. The road in front of the slow moving car was empty and I wanted to get back on the right lane since I had to take a turn towards sarjapur road.
This is what I feel - an extraordinarily slow/irregularly moving vehicle is always a bait for disaster, they frustrate the others and show no regard for honking or signals and merely move at their own pace merrily. Then there are the takers of the bait, people who otherwise drive normally but seeing such brainless/irresponsive behaviour of the slow vehicle, take extreme measures to overtake and get ahead of them, such people are the middle party. Then comes the danger part, a rash rider/driver who has been burning tarmac for the past 5 km would be driving or riding in his usual style but thanks to sudden manoeuvres by the middle party, will get into an incident due to poor calculations either way. The only person who would escape this incident is the slow vehicle who can still be seen carrying on in the usual manner.

Technically all 3 are at fault here, the slow driver for being unjustifiably slow, the affected motorist who takes drastic manoeuvres to evade the slow driver thus putting himself and his judgement at risk and the rash, fast motorist for, well.. doing what he does best. Two wrongs do not a right make, thus all 3 are guilty in equal.. the only thing than can separate them is their awareness. In Bangalore I do not move an inch either side till I'm sure I've scanned all the blind-spots and mirrors, sudden overtaking moves create massive blind-spots which the accelerator-thrashing barbarians collide into like a firefly into a candle flame. Paranoia or persecution-complex which are normally negative connotations, can be one's biggest weapon for success in a traffic like Bangalore's.
Old 6th January 2016, 21:03   #10523
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I pass through this stretch everyday
Ditto! Don't have a choice with office cab routing and the mess HAL Airport road has become.

Quote:
.....as long as your indicator was on and you had checked the mirror.
That may be the catch. It appears from the video that the biker was in the OP's ORVM blind-spot, and he either failed to spot him in the IRVM or he only looked at the right ORVM before committing to the move. He's best placed to answer that.

Quote:
......ideally it will be the car on the right lane that he would have been watching.
Ideally, he should be watching all around him before making a move, not just the obstacle he's trying to go around.

Quote:
Gauging the speed of the bike.......Relatively speaking, biker is at a severe fault here
I don't think anyone is disagreeing here with the biker (or the other lane-hogger) being wrong, but for the OP to claim he did everything right isn't right either (excuse the convoluted sentence).

I'm tempted to quote Distinguished BHPian Thad here:

He was right, dead right,
As he toddled along,
But he's just as dead
As if he'd been wrong.

The OP could've been more careful for his own sake, esp. given he's no stranger to the antics of Bangalore's notorious bikers. Staying safe is paramount, fault appropriation comes a distant second.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th January 2016 at 21:12. Reason: Found the quote from Thad :)
Old 6th January 2016, 21:21   #10524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Seriously, do you really think what etrast75 was wrong? Yes, he did overtake from left but I doubt any of the people here (including you both as well as me) would not have done the same.
I do. And no, I wouldn't have done that. I'd have flashed my headlights at the vehicle ahead asking to pass and if he didn't relent, I'd have gone behind him given that I'm turning off at the next junction. If I were going straight ahead I wouldn't have been in that lane in the first place (it is very rare that I drive in the right lane in ORR anyway).
Old 7th January 2016, 10:21   #10525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Bengalureans, next time you are stuck in a jam, do what this mumbaikar does - =====
Its hilarious and innovative. But few factors which might work against Bengalureans following that

1) The road under their feet in Mumbai is assured good and the dancing man does not fall over due to undulations in the tarmac or get his feet dirty in the muck in some pothole.
2) The rate at which traffic gets stuck , we would have flash mobs almost at every nook and corner and the number of people watching standing on the side would cause the traffic to choke further.
3) Some biker or two wheeler who wants to push might still overtake from the left and hit some dancers while squeezing through the gap between the cars

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th January 2016 at 11:42. Reason: Please avoid quoting video while replying. Thanks.
Old 7th January 2016, 10:27   #10526
BHPian

Cops checking Non state vehicles near BTP (CV Raman Nagar) entry gate.
Dim wits have lined up all cars on the road side causing jam.
Old 7th January 2016, 13:29   #10527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Here is how a biker had the potential to get run over by a bus:
If his bike had slid a little further, he would have been thrown under the rear tyre of the BMTC bus. Even in this case, his leg just missed the track of the rear tyre of the bus. Lucky day for him.
A question in this case - how did the bike fishtail? Did the biker just panic brake? There was enough space for him to brake straight without losing control of the slide! And the tarmac is pretty decent too.
Old 7th January 2016, 13:35   #10528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
A question in this case - how did the bike fishtail? Did the biker just panic brake? There was enough space for him to brake straight without losing control of the slide! And the tarmac is pretty decent too.
I did not notice the accident since I was concentrating on taking the turn. I was keeping my eyes on the bus and the traffic coming towards me from the right. I saw this only after he crashed into the car that too after my colleague in the co-drivers seat told me to look.

After coming home and seeing the video, I think he has braked late. First I thought that he did not brake at all since the brake light did not come on. But it looks like only his rear brakes worked at that time. Not sure if he was not attentive enough or he assumed he would just zip through without issue. Had the bike fishtailed more he would have been thrown on the road.

Another surprising thing was that the duster driver drove away is if nothing happened. Not sure why.

Last edited by audioholic : 7th January 2016 at 13:36.
Old 8th January 2016, 07:01   #10529
Senior - BHPian

Folks: A MAJOR TRAFFIC ALERT

As you get down the HSR flyover towards Marathahalli, a Tata Indica has crashed on to the median in almost a perpendicular direction
As you cross the Kadubeesanahalli under pass, another cab has crashed on to the footpath.
I do not foresee any major traffic holdups yet a word of caution.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2016, 07:26   #10530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks: A MAJOR TRAFFIC ALERT

As you get down the HSR flyover towards Marathahalli, a Tata Indica has crashed on to the median in almost a perpendicular direction
As you cross the Kadubeesanahalli under pass, another cab has crashed on to the footpath.
I do not foresee any major traffic holdups yet a word of caution.
Initially I was wondering if the cab guy was trying to drive in one ways and met with accident. Then realized that he has crashed on to the divider and turned full 180 Degree.

Not sure what happened to the cab in front of Adobe office. This is the second cab which has crashed in exactly the same spot. The cab is still parked there.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks